Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What are the priorities now?  (Read 12155 times)

Litehouse

• All American
Re: What are the priorities now?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 11:12:30 AM »
How many graduate transfers are there in a given year?  I think the problem is that since we have landed two in the past three years that we think it is more common than it really is.  So if we are looking at a PG...who has the ability to play immediately and contribute...and wants to come to Marquette...that pool of players could be very small.  Maybe even non-existent. 

That's a good question and made me curious, so I just went through the list of the top 100 leaders in assists this year to see if any fit the profile of 4th year in college, and 3rd year of eligibility.  I only found three, and this assumes they're on track to graduate after 4 years.

Jalan West at Northwestern St.
Redshirted in 11-12 due to NCAA clearinghouse issues.
Averaging 19.0 ppg and 7.3 apg

Nic Moore at SMU
Transferred from Illinois St. to SMU, and sat out 12-13.
Averaging 14.5 ppg and 5.4 apg

Anthony Collins at USF
Granted a medical hardship waiver for 13-14
Averaging 7.2 ppg and 5.1 apg

There were two more that did a year at a prep school and are currently juniors, so I have no idea if that helped them gain credits toward graduating early.

Chris Fowler at Central Michigan
Graduated Detroit Country Day in '11, and spent a year at IMG Academy.
Averaging 15.5 ppg and 6.1 apg

AJ English at Iona
Graduated HS in '11 and spent a year at St. Thomas More Prep
Averaging 19.4 ppg and 5.3 apg

That was about it.  However, I used ESPN's top 100 assist leaders list as a starting point and noticed there were a lot of inaccuracies on seasons played when I dug into the details of various players.  For example, they don't show Nic Moore's year at Illinois State so I almost left him off the list.  I also ignored all 3rd year Juniors, but there's a chance some of them could graduate early also.

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:47 AM »
That's a good question and made me curious, so I just went through the list of the top 100 leaders in assists this year to see if any fit the profile of 4th year in college, and 3rd year of eligibility.  I only found three, and this assumes they're on track to graduate after 4 years.

Nic Moore at SMU

Anthony Collins at USF

There were two more that did a year at a prep school and are currently juniors, so I have no idea if that helped them gain credits toward graduating early.

AJ English at Iona

That was about it.  However, I used ESPN's top 100 assist leaders list as a starting point and noticed there were a lot of inaccuracies on seasons played when I dug into the details of various players.  For example, they don't show Nic Moore's year at Illinois State so I almost left him off the list.  I also ignored all 3rd year Juniors, but there's a chance some of them could graduate early also.

I think Yogi Ferrell at IU is expected to graduate this spring, though I am not going to get my hopes up of him coming to MU.  He will be one of the best PG in college hoops next year assuming he isn't drafted this June.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
That's a good question and made me curious, so I just went through the list of the top 100 leaders in assists this year to see if any fit the profile of 4th year in college, and 3rd year of eligibility.  I only found three, and this assumes they're on track to graduate after 4 years.

Nic Moore at SMU

Anthony Collins at USF

AJ English at Iona

That was about it.  However, I used ESPN's top 100 assist leaders list as a starting point and noticed there were a lot of inaccuracies on seasons played when I dug into the details of various players.  For example, they don't show Nic Moore's year at Illinois State so I almost left him off the list.  I also ignored all 3rd year Juniors, but there's a chance some of them could graduate early also.

Thank you for this.  It pretty much reaffirms my thought that this will be a difficult route to take.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »
Steady, sometimes surprisingly awesome, contributor who was unfairly maligned by the board and ended up playing in the NBA?  I'll take it.

Mostly because he turned the ball over a little too much for a PG.  But yeah.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »
AJ English at Iona

This one still baffles me. I know Buzz gave English a look and with his family history I always figured he'd go high major. Seemed like a stud and thus far has been. If there was any chance of him, I'd love Wojo top go after him.

Moore is still the dream, but shows there are a few good names out there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 05:20:46 PM »
CHEICK DIALLO 6-9 225 PF. IN MY DREAMS! STUD 5-STAR

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »
CHEICK DIALLO 6-9 225 PF. IN MY DREAMS! STUD 5-STAR

YEAH GET HIM!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 06:28:46 PM »
With Anim in the fold, does this take the JUCO O'wing from Texas out of play?   Or do they bring different skill sets?  Can Anim play any PG?  How tall is he?  As a straight one-for-one trade for NN, did MU come out ahead?   Is Wojo still thinking PG and big wing?    What are the odds he banks a schollie?

Call me nuts, but I favor recruiting point guards to play point guard..  Remember all the talk on the board last year about Sandy Cohen being able to play point guard?

Did Marquette come out ahead?  "We'll see", said the Zen Master.  Really I'm not sure that I'd ask that question.  It's more like, "Will Sacar provide Wojo with what he didn't feel he was getting from Burton?"
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback