[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Ryan retiring end of semester  (Read 76453 times)

mu-rara

• All American
Re: Bo Ryan retiring end of semester
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2015, 12:05:31 PM »
I know the legend of King Barry and his UUUuuuge egoand need to be the big dog,   BUT.........

He's gotta be out the door soon too.  Why tie your legacy to Greg F Gard?  Isn't it better to go out as the guy who hired ****Tony Bennett**** (or whoever).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »
Wayne Tinkle!  I want Wayne Tinkle!  Imagine the headlines....

Tinkle? That can't be real.

That's a name that way back when at Ellis Island Mr. Tinkle tells the man in the blue uniform, "My name is Smith, sir! S-M-I-T-H!"

Death on call

Balrogs

• Walk-On
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2015, 12:22:53 PM »
So if UW-Madison would have beat Marquette last weekend, would the announcement have come then?  I wonder if this announcement was pushed out of the weekend because we won and he couldn't go out on a loss.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
Last night was the last game of the semester. Thats why it was announced now.

Big hire for Alvarez after screwing up Andersen. I guarantee it will be a guy who runs a squeaky clean program and knows that their academic requirements will handcuff him.  Bo wasn't a great recruiter and really wouldn't take in transfers which was dumb.

Are people even remotely serious about Buzz or Crean? :o

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »
He was a great coach for UW and I wish hm the best in his retirement.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2015, 12:51:13 PM »
If Diamond Stone went to Madison, does Bo make this announcement yesterday?

If my uncle had a vagina, he'd be my aunt, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2015, 12:56:09 PM »
Tinkle? That can't be real.

That's a name that way back when at Ellis Island Mr. Tinkle tells the man in the blue uniform, "My name is Smith, sir! S-M-I-T-H!"

His son Tres is a freshman on the team and second in scoring this year (behind Gary Payton II.)  Just wait for the poor kid to miss a buzzer-beater: "Tinkle Gets Rim."

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »
As for the matter at hand...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2015, 01:06:32 PM »
Happy to see him quit  Respected his results but thought he conducted himself poorly. I think  between Bennett and Bo the Badgers have had a long enough period of success that they will be fine no matter who they pick to coach them after this season.

From an MU perspective I would prefer they stick with Guard and not hire some young and upcoming coach like Archie Miller.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »
Last night was the last game of the semester. Thats why it was announced now.

Big hire for Alvarez after screwing up Andersen. I guarantee it will be a guy who runs a squeaky clean program and knows that their academic requirements will handcuff him.  Bo wasn't a great recruiter and really wouldn't take in transfers which was dumb.

Are people even remotely serious about Buzz or Crean? :o

Good to see you buy into the Becky propaganda machine
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »
knows that their academic requirements will handcuff him.

you gotta be f#cking sh1tting me...

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »
His son Tres is a freshman on the team and second in scoring this year (behind Gary Payton II.)  Just wait for the poor kid to miss a buzzer-beater: "Tinkle Gets Rim."

Tres Tinkle, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
and knows that their academic requirements will handcuff him.

See Ron Dayne.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
They have had at least 5 FB players not accepted in to school in the last 2-3 years including some really good ones.

You believe what you want but don't be silly:

http://wisconsin.247sports.com/Article/Should-Wisconsin-reduce-academic-requirements-for-athletes-34871032

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/temple-academic-admissions-an-issue-at-wisconsin-but-andersen-should-have-known-better-121114

For the purpose of comparison, let's examine the admission standards for incoming freshmen at Nebraska, Ohio State and Michigan State -- three teams Wisconsin figures to compete with annually for Big Ten championships. As the website 30mileradius.com points out, Nebraska has "guaranteed admissions" with lower standards than Wisconsin, and the notion that other schools harbor fewer expectations is well-founded in several cases.

At Wisconsin, 13 high school credits must be considered "core college preparatory" classes (four years of English, three years of math, three years of natural science and three years of social science). However, unlike other institutions, Wisconsin also requires an additional four electives, which can include foreign language, fine arts, computer science or other academic areas. That last addition very well could be the difference between landing some talented prospects with marginal coursework.

Nebraska requires 14 of those so-called "core" units, adding a fourth year of math. But the school only asks for two other units coming from a foreign language for a total of 16 academic course units. Ohio State's minimum course unit requirement also is 16, while Michigan State's is only 14.

At Wisconsin? That number is, at minimum, 17.

It's all about the core credit requirements.   I only know because I mentor a kid who is good enough to play football at either but got into Mich St very quickly but not Wisky...yet.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
See ya, Grinch.

Go Warriors.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2015, 02:01:17 PM »
It is expected that people will claim that his career was a paean to nobility but I think the guy was a sore loser and nasty sonuvabitch.

His presser after losing to Duke or what he did to that Uthoff kid is all one needs to know about the character of one Bo Ryan.

Adios Mother F#cker. College basketball is a better place without your toxic personality.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2015, 02:03:13 PM »
They have had at least 5 FB players not accepted in to school in the last 2-3 years including some really good ones.

http://wisconsin.247sports.com/Article/Should-Wisconsin-reduce-academic-requirements-for-athletes-34871032

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/temple-academic-admissions-an-issue-at-wisconsin-but-andersen-should-have-known-better-121114

For the purpose of comparison, let's examine the admission standards for incoming freshmen at Nebraska, Ohio State and Michigan State -- three teams Wisconsin figures to compete with annually for Big Ten championships. As the website 30mileradius.com points out, Nebraska has "guaranteed admissions" with lower standards than Wisconsin, and the notion that other schools harbor fewer expectations is well-founded in several cases.

At Wisconsin, 13 high school credits must be considered "core college preparatory" classes (four years of English, three years of math, three years of natural science and three years of social science). However, unlike other institutions, Wisconsin also requires an additional four electives, which can include foreign language, fine arts, computer science or other academic areas. That last addition very well could be the difference between landing some talented prospects with marginal coursework.

Nebraska requires 14 of those so-called "core" units, adding a fourth year of math. But the school only asks for two other units coming from a foreign language for a total of 16 academic course units. Ohio State's minimum course unit requirement also is 16, while Michigan State's is only 14.

It's all about the core credit requirements.   I only know because I mentor a kid who is good enough to play football at either but got into Mich St very quickly but not Wisky...yet.

Dirty secret, what a core unit is comprised of is an interpretation of NCAA guidelines.  Wisconsin does "require" 17 core units, but those extra units could be underwater basket weaving if the admissions office deemed it worth.  Requiring 3 extra core units allows them to say they have higher standards when they really don't.  If they want an athlete and they meet NCAA standards, Wisconsin can get them in. 

It's a risk-reward proposition for admissions, for every PJ Hill you take in you have to have a John Urschel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Urschel).  Their admissions aren't higher than anyone elses.  The NCAA dings you on volume of poor academics not on individuals who have questionable academics.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »

Yeah Ron Dayne was admitted to UW almost 20 years ago.

Lot of indications that things have changed since then.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »

Yeah Ron Dayne was admitted to UW almost 20 years ago.

Lot of indications that things have changed since then.

There is this narrative out there, started and perpetuated by UW Madison people, that the state college of Wisconsin is some sort of citadel of higher academic achievement.

What Madison really is is a school for east coast kids who couldn't get into an Ivy. Madison is a good school; it is hardly great.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2015, 02:11:17 PM »
There is this narrative out there, started and perpetuated by UW Madison people, that the state college of Wisconsin is some sort of citadel of higher academic achievement.

What Madison really is is a school for east coast kids who couldn't get into an Ivy. Madison is a good school; it is hardly great.

I wasn't saying it was a great school.  I was saying that they don't make the same types of admissions exceptions for athletes like they used to.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
See Ron Dayne.

And, more recently, their honor student John Clay.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »

I wasn't saying it was a great school.  I was saying that they don't make the same types of admissions exceptions for athletes like they used to.

Sultan

I wasn't taking the piss out of you but just furthering on your post.

I am always amused at how Madison people attach so much singularity cachet to their diploma. It is especially galling when they make comparisons with a Marquette education.

Movie Scene:

Young woman in NYC: "I went to the University of Wisconsin!"

Subtitle at the bottom of the screen: "I couldn't get into Vassar..." 

Death on call

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »
It is expected that people will claim that his career was a paean to nobility but I think the guy was a sore loser and nasty sonuvabitch.

His presser after losing to Duke or what he did to that Uthoff kid is all one needs to know about the character of one Bo Ryan.

Adios Mother F#cker. College basketball is a better place without your toxic personality.

Keefe bringin' the heat! Couldn't agree more

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
UW became a much bigger rivalry during the Bo years.

When I attended (McGuire) I thought ND Digger Phelps was our arch rival (not sure ND agreed-lol). Depaul with Ray Myers considered Marquette their rival(not sure we agreed-lol).

Bo's success elevated the program and the rivalry.

I am curious. I never really tried to understand Bo's "system" that he mentored throughout the state for decades. Is UW married to keeping the "Bo" system? Do they slip back to pre Bo mediocrity? Does the era end with him? Does UW keep recruiting its "system" style kids? If not....How will they change, and how might this affect our recruiting profile/competitiveness?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.