Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: flagrant one?  (Read 7120 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: flagrant one?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
Honestly, thought it looked like Henry got frustrated and shoved Zierdens face. It wasnt much. Don't know that it deserved to be a technical. But in pretty sure Henry knew exactly what he was doing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 11:21:45 PM »
Honestly, thought it looked like Henry got frustrated and shoved Zierdens face. It wasnt much. Don't know that it deserved to be a technical. But in pretty sure Henry knew exactly what he was doing.

Pretty much how I saw it. I don't worry about the refs though as I figured it all evens itself out and is part of the game.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2016, 08:27:31 AM »

Personally, I thought HE was reaching for the ball, got Zierden's face instead and was fine with that. IOW, I don't think he initially was intending to shove Zierden's face but he didn't exactly pull back when he realized that's what he was doing. I agree with the others who said that it looked much worse in slow motion than in real time.

The officials were definitely lettin' 'em play throughout the game and there was clearly some frustration on both sides.

In the end, it didn't really matter.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2016, 10:40:18 AM »
To me it looked like after Zierden hacked Henry, he started to fall into Henry's legs and Henry reflexively tried to protect his legs by putting his hand on Zierden's head to guide the head, rather gently I might add, away from his legs.

Bad call.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 10:49:42 AM »
My reaction was that Henry was going for the ball and got Zierdan's face.  I did not think they were going to call anything after watching the replay, but they always seem to err on the side of calling the foul.

I don't know if any of you saw it, as I watched the Nova-Xavier game before MU started and during the breaks after our game started.  In that game Ochefu was called for an elbow and when they checked the monitor to see if it was a flagrant foul it was obvious that the Xavier player wasn't fouled at all and just flopped.   The announcers said they took the foul away from Ochefu after the review.  I don't know if the announcers got that right, but if they did I never heard of that before.

The other one that gets me is the last foul of the game.  Henry's uniform was grabbed before the ball was inbounded.  That is obviously an intentional foul.  They never call it, but when the guy make no pretense of making a basketball play that should be two shots and the ball, not 1 and 1.  Henry buried the first one, wihch made it all academic.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
And, that's what he kept telling the refs.  It was simply incidental contact.
Agreed. Nothing intentional. With the benefit of hindsight, he should have brought both kneecaps together forcefully giving the guys noggin something to "think about"
 Since he was getting the flagrant anyway, max force should have been used.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »
Zierden kid is a punk. Pounds his chest like he’s the Fn man. In 65 combined minutes against Marquette he was 2-11 from the field. Cocky, weak, flop.

Go Warriors.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
Zierden kid is a punk. Pounds his chest like he’s the Fn man. In 65 combined minutes against Marquette he was 2-11 from the field. Cocky, weak, flop.

Go Warriors.

Zierden reminds me (on the court) of Devendorf.  I have no idea if there's been any women-punching going on, and I'm not insinuating anything.  Just his look and on-court demeanor.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »
My reaction was that Henry was going for the ball and got Zierdan's face.  I did not think they were going to call anything after watching the replay, but they always seem to err on the side of calling the foul.

I don't know if any of you saw it, as I watched the Nova-Xavier game before MU started and during the breaks after our game started.  In that game Ochefu was called for an elbow and when they checked the monitor to see if it was a flagrant foul it was obvious that the Xavier player wasn't fouled at all and just flopped.   The announcers said they took the foul away from Ochefu after the review.  I don't know if the announcers got that right, but if they did I never heard of that before.

The other one that gets me is the last foul of the game.  Henry's uniform was grabbed before the ball was inbounded.  That is obviously an intentional foul.  They never call it, but when the guy make no pretense of making a basketball play that should be two shots and the ball, not 1 and 1.  Henry buried the first one, wihch made it all academic.

Same thoughts on all of those.  I thought Henry was definitely just trying to pick up the ball and Zierden got his head in the way.

The Xavier flop was ridiculous and plays like that, when reviewed, should be a technical against the flopping player.  Just ruins the game.

I was also wondering how they could be allowed to simply grab a player before the ball is inbounded and it's simply at 1 and 1 with no time coming off the clock.  In that case why would anyone ever wait for the ball to in passed in before giving the foul?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 05:34:01 PM »
Zierden reminds me (on the court) of Devendorf.  I have no idea if there's been any women-punching going on, and I'm not insinuating anything.  Just his look and on-court demeanor.
Nobody approaches devendouche
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 05:48:18 PM »
To me its simply this.  If it had been zierden with the ball and Henry on the floor, I would have been demanding a flagrant...so that means it has to be a flagrant on Henry when the situation was flipped.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
I tweeted at the big east account. Not like it's gonna do anything but made me feel better.

I am sure Val gets to answering Tweets after she puts away the Ikea shipment

Death on call