[Today at 10:56:50 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MUDPT
[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo sets the tone...  (Read 9517 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Wojo sets the tone...
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »
Get off your high horse nickeldimer.Disappointed is different than taking shots at players and coaches.Get a clue
Oh the irony. Just don’t give me that citation eh?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:02:57 AM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 10:01:39 AM »
muguru and burger.Where were you when MU was 23-4?MU is 23-8.Going to be a 5 or 6 seed in NCAA.Go cheer for another team if that is not good enough for you this year.The real MU fans do not need negative nellies like you.I support the players and coaches.It has been a good year and next year is looking better.

Guru has been here all season.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »
Guru has been here all season.

Thank you...you're exactly right, I have been Frenns
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 10:14:08 AM »
With all the missed free throws.....Bad plays.....etc......We still had a 8 point lead with about 5 minutes left....

We were down 3 with 5 minutes to go and lost by 2, FYI.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 10:16:09 AM »
Get off your high horse nickeldimer.Disappointed is different than taking shots at players and coaches.Get a clue

If you're a "real" fan because you think this was a "great" year...then I want no part of being a "real" fan. Seems to me a "real" fan would have higher, much higher expectations for a team(and program) with this much talent, shouldn't they?? They lost 6...6 games in a down BE...3 of them at home, to lessor teams...unacceptable by any measure.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 10:28:26 AM »
If you're a "real" fan because you think this was a "great" year...then I want no part of being a "real" fan. Seems to me a "real" fan would have higher, much higher expectations for a team(and program) with this much talent, shouldn't they?? They lost 6...6 games in a down BE...3 of them at home, to lessor teams...unacceptable by any measure.

I think the true "talent" level of this team is a little exaggerated.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
So how long do you want to give him?? 15 years?? It's been 5 freaking years...5 VERY long years...now he has his "best" team he has had since he's been at MU, and we get these last 4 games of complete and utter garbage?? 4 chances...4 to win the BE and the didn't get it done, EVERY single time. Do you have ANY idea what the odds of a collapse like this happening were?? VERY VERY slim. yet, Wojo keeps saying "it's on me", and has done ZILCH to fix it...he has no freaking idea how, that's the problem.

The program is in a far better place then when he came in?? Oh really?? Okay, so if you are just going by Buzz's last year...maybe. But how soon we forget Buzz's teams were regular participants in the tourney, made Sweet 16's and Elite 8's...That was 7 years ago...so is the program really in a better spot then it was then(minus the one year)?? It's not even close...You guys that love Wojo are ridiculous...you obviously have very small expectations for the program...make the tourney once in awhile and that's okay, right?? His "best" team ever can't even win the BE regular season, in a very down year for the conference, after having 4 chances to do it, and you think he's doing a great job?? It's time for him to go...Sam, Markus...they are Seniors they won't leave...the roster turn over wouldn't be that significant I don't think. Bring in someone that can get this program back to it's rightful place and not take decades to do it, like it seemingly is going to take for Wojo. The admin is completely and utterly clueless that they like him so much...the expectations for the BB program are sadly low now from the higher ups..Gone are the days of Cords and Father Wild that wanted MU back in the Elite of college BB...now we have...this.

A lecture from the guy who doesn't want others to lecture him.  Thank you.

Yes, these last four games have been frustrating.  I want the team to bounce back strong to wash the sour taste out of my mouth.  A BET title or Sweet 16 would do it.

I look forward to an even better year next year and a strong recruiting class in 2020.  This season is just the beginning,  not the final destination.

Those are my expectations.  I'm not trying to change the minds of any anti-Wojo crowd members because I know I won't.  They can be as miserable as they want to be.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
A lecture from the guy who doesn't want others to lecture him.  Thank you.

Yes, these last four games have been frustrating.  I want the team to bounce back strong to wash the sour taste out of my mouth.  A BET title or Sweet 16 would do it.

I look forward to an even better year next year and a strong recruiting class in 2020.  This season is just the beginning,  not the final destination.

Those are my expectations.  I'm not trying to change the minds of any anti-Wojo crowd members because I know I won't.  They can be as miserable as they want to be.

You are absolutely right. The beginning has started right now. We must forget the past 4 years, and the past 4 games and focus on now. Wojo deserves our support and accolades. I will be standing on that wall for and with him.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 10:44:21 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse......

Georgetown ran the "same set"  the last 15 times they had the ball.....

What adjustments did we even "attempt" to make????

Just explain that.....Are we giving WOJO another year to learn how to "in-game" coach????

With all the missed free throws.....Bad plays.....etc......We still had a 8 point lead with about 5 minutes left....

Georgetown coaching outcoached MU coaching,,,,,,15 times in a row.,,,,..

0% of this is correct.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 10:48:37 AM »

You are absolutely right. The beginning has started right now. We must forget the past 4 years, and the past 4 games and focus on now. Wojo deserves our support and accolades. I will be standing on that wall for and with him.

Mods, I think Willie's account was hacked.   ;D

Well said Willie.  I never thought we'd agree on anything Marquette basketball related so color me surprised.  But I welcome you to the Wojo wall!

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2019, 11:22:54 AM »

Georgetown coaching outcoached MU coaching,,,,,,15 times in a row.,,,,..

fyi, Georgetown had a three point lead with 5 minutes remaining.   
Actually, the largest MU lead over the final nine minutes was 3.
What a moron Ewing must be to have his team outscored by Wojo's squad over the final 5.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
The folks who have and continue to want Wojo gone remind me of fanbases at mid-low level SEC football programs.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2019, 12:56:40 PM »
The folks who have and continue to want Wojo gone remind me of fanbases at mid-low level SEC football programs.
Auburn football fans stick out to me.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »
muguru.We will have to agree to disagree.All that Markus Howard has done for Marquette University on and of the court and to see people on this board rip him is utterly ridiculous and very sad.Imagine his parents or a recruits parent reading those comments about Markus.That is a bad message to send about MU fan base.Regarding Wojo.It has been a good year.Been ranked most of the year and should have a decent seed in NCAA tourney.Sorry it has not met your expectations.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »
do people even think before they post? how many consistently, highly successful college basketball coaches are cool, calm, collected, level headed, loose guys? i can think of 2 in my time as a college basketball fandom. brad stevens and tony bennett and some good its done tony and his team come march.

k, cal, roy, self, calhoun, donovan, boeheim. heck even our own in buzz and crean. all these guys really set the tone of calm looseness hey?

sheesh.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
do people even think before they post? how many consistently, highly successful college basketball coaches are cool, calm, collected, level headed, loose guys? i can think of 2 in my time as a college basketball fandom. brad stevens and tony bennett and some good its done tony and his team come march.

k, cal, roy, self, calhoun, donovan, boeheim. heck even our own in buzz and crean. all these guys really set the tone of calm looseness hey?

sheesh.

Rational thought during a losing streak is a rare commodity.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

burger

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2019, 06:51:16 PM »
0% of this is correct.

OK ......Did not want to go and revue that game.....

We had a 7 point lead at the 11:30 mark and earlier at the 17:36 mark......happy

Review the game tape as they closed it down to even at the 4ish minute mark and even "the announcers" say.....They keep on running the "same" play over and over again......High pick and roll with the 2 freshman....."If they can't stop it.....Just keep on running it"......and yes count......how many times did they run the "SAME" play over and over again.....

Might not have resulted in a basket.....or even a drive by one the freshman......And I did not say they scored 15 times in a row.....But that is the "set" they ran to initiate the offense.....

And we had no answer and no adjustment.....

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »
I didn't watch the replay. Why bother, I was there. Guessing Nick Bahe said it?
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2019, 07:04:28 PM »
muguru.We will have to agree to disagree.All that Markus Howard has done for Marquette University on and of the court and to see people on this board rip him is utterly ridiculous and very sad.Imagine his parents or a recruits parent reading those comments about Markus.That is a bad message to send about MU fan base.Regarding Wojo.It has been a good year.Been ranked most of the year and should have a decent seed in NCAA tourney.Sorry it has not met your expectations.

I agree with you 100%, personally ripping the kids is out of line IMO.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »
I think the true "talent" level of this team is a little exaggerated.

I would agree.

The entire conference is down and we still have as good a chance as anyone to win the BE tournament.

I said before the season that 5 wins would win the Conference. Turns out it did. I thought there were no great teams and lots of OK ones. Meaning that the better teams would lose quite a few games.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 03:51:20 PM »
I remember being at games at the old Arena, and our Marquette coach being heckled by Marquette fans. That same coach once told me "never become a basketball coach." This statement came from a
man whos greatest passion was basketball. He eventually had enough of the negativity from the armchair coaches and went on to win another 461 games at other institutions. His name was Rick
Majerus and he was followed by Bob Dukeit.

Yup, we sure do love to drive our coaches away....tough when we compare them to once in a lifetime guys...but eventually people get sick of it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 03:54:52 PM »
So how long do you want to give him?? 15 years?? It's been 5 freaking years...5 VERY long years...now he has his "best" team he has had since he's been at MU, and we get these last 4 games of complete and utter garbage?? 4 chances...4 to win the BE and the didn't get it done, EVERY single time. Do you have ANY idea what the odds of a collapse like this happening were?? VERY VERY slim. yet, Wojo keeps saying "it's on me", and has done ZILCH to fix it...he has no freaking idea how, that's the problem.

The program is in a far better place then when he came in?? Oh really?? Okay, so if you are just going by Buzz's last year...maybe. But how soon we forget Buzz's teams were regular participants in the tourney, made Sweet 16's and Elite 8's...That was 7 years ago...so is the program really in a better spot then it was then(minus the one year)?? It's not even close...You guys that love Wojo are ridiculous...you obviously have very small expectations for the program...make the tourney once in awhile and that's okay, right?? His "best" team ever can't even win the BE regular season, in a very down year for the conference, after having 4 chances to do it, and you think he's doing a great job?? It's time for him to go...Sam, Markus...they are Seniors they won't leave...the roster turn over wouldn't be that significant I don't think. Bring in someone that can get this program back to it's rightful place and not take decades to do it, like it seemingly is going to take for Wojo. The admin is completely and utterly clueless that they like him so much...the expectations for the BB program are sadly low now from the higher ups..Gone are the days of Cords and Father Wild that wanted MU back in the Elite of college BB...now we have...this.

You honestly think Wojo, a Duke graduate and multiple national champion as an asset coach doesn’t want to be elite.....my God.

Good OT see he helped recruit and develope an undersized teenager into the Big East player of the year in his fifth season.

Nice job Wojo
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
Wojo has to set the team on fire.  They have to start the game blazing.  Get out of the gate quick.  We have the horses to win out. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 05:40:35 PM »
Play calling out of time outs is solid, even today.   Commitment to defensive principles finally took.   Team was mentally tough until two weeks ago.

I think they need to get some rest for health/wear and tear. Hopefully they've been able to breathe and can pick up a confidence booster couple of wins in the BEast tourney. Get that feeling back and some really good things can happen.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »
I think they need to get some rest for health/wear and tear. Hopefully they've been able to breathe and can pick up a confidence booster couple of wins in the BEast tourney. Get that feeling back and some really good things can happen.

I hate that excuse. Tons of teams have players playing 30+ minutes in every game. Why dont they mess up?