[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011  (Read 74300 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »
April is a tough draw around here. With school still in session, it means my kids activities are still rolling, among a million other things that I have to do on most weekends, and I couldn't go to the game if I wanted to. Teh relatively low number of Cub fans is probably further evidence of that. If I wanted to, is also a big point. With the Cubs being the opponent, I am automatically out. Seems to be getting better recently, but I stopped going to Cub-Brewer games at MP a couple years ago. Simply not worth dealing with all the morons on both sides. I know many people feel the same way.

With 3M plus again this year, I'm not sure attendance is anything anyone should be complaining about.

I agree with you 100%. It used to be fun going to see the Cubs play just 10 minutes from my home but now it's not worth the hassle. I don't feel like having drunk people (who know nothing about baseball and 5 years ago didn't know the Brewers existed) yell and swear and throw things at me and my family because we're wearing Cubs gear. Brewers fans somehow became Sox fans once their team became competitive - they cheer more against the Cubs than they cheer for their own team. Don't get me wrong, this type of behavior also can bring out the worst in Cubs fans. However, I've been to quite a few Cubs road games and it's nothing like you'll experience at Miller Park or The Cell. Even Cubs games in St. Louis are much more cordial. There's definitely a rivalry feel to the games (and there have been some ugly instances), but there's also a level of respect that fans have for each other. You don't get too much of that in Milwaukee.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »
MANY of the Cubs fans that I have encountered at Miller Park are really obnoxious and come in there like they own the place.  They are disrespectful and boorish and are not at all like the traveling fans that come in from other places like St. Louis or Minnesota (who are much nicer).  I also try to avoid the Brewers-Cubs games because of the Obnoxious Cub Fan Factor.  It has really, in my opinion, brought out the worst in the usually enthusiastic Brewer fans.

Yeah, we like to drink a few beers before and during the games, but the Cubs are the only team we cheer against.  And it's because of the Cubs fans.

In other words, you started it.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »
MANY of the Cubs fans that I have encountered at Miller Park are really obnoxious and come in there like they own the place.  They are disrespectful and boorish and are not at all like the traveling fans that come in from other places like St. Louis or Minnesota (who are much nicer).  I also try to avoid the Brewers-Cubs games because of the Obnoxious Cub Fan Factor.  It has really, in my opinion, brought out the worst in the usually enthusiastic Brewer fans.

Yeah, we like to drink a few beers before and during the games, but the Cubs are the only team we cheer against.  And it's because of the Cubs fans.

Brewers fans hate Cubs fans because they drive up I-94 and outnumber the home fans (there's a reason people call it Wrigley North). If Pirates fans suddenly started filling up Wrigley Field and making it feel like a home game for the road team, I'm sure Cubs fans would have a lot of animosity towards the Pirates and their fans. It's all a matter of pride.

In other words, Brewers fans started it by not being as loyal as Cubs fans.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »

There was never anything to this until the Brewers became competitive.  I attended a Brewers-Cubs game in 05 wearing a Garciaparra Cubs jersey shirt and nobody said a word.  If I did that now, I would get profanities hurled at me constantly such as when idiots started berating my sister as she got out of my car last summer (that has Illinois plates) till she turned around and they realized she was wearing a Brewers shirt.

I will freely admit there is embarrasing and obnoxious behavior on both sides.  Until I moved to Chicago, I had seen the Cubs play in Milwaukee 3 times as many times as I saw them at Wrigley, and Cubs fans have been filling Miller Park for years.  Meanwhile, this rampant Cubs hate has only been going on for only a couple, with this "new" generation of fans.

Why can't we all just get along and hate the Cardinals?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
In other words, Brewers fans started it by not being as loyal as Cubs fans.

Meh, Cubs fans come up because it's the only place they can get a true summer tailgating experience close to home.  It also helps that it's cheap to do.

I think it's a fun rivalry for the summer.  It makes sense that the 100 quiet respectful Cubs fans don't stand out as much as the 1 slovenly drunk abusive fan.

I'd be heading down to Wrigley to watch games too if I could park near the stadium and afford the $10 cans of Miller Lite at the Cubby Bear across the street :P

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »
Cub fans on this board are the same guys who b*tched about how shi**y  Milwaukee was for all 4 years they were at Marquette. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2011, 09:15:10 PM »
Cub fans on this board are the same guys who b*tched about how shi**y  Milwaukee was for all 4 years they were at Marquette. 

I actually still live in the Milwaukee area and have really enjoyed my time here...so there goes that theory.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2011, 07:42:56 AM »

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »
I actually still live in the Milwaukee area and have really enjoyed my time here...so there goes that theory.

So in your case we can generalize statements to represent an entire population, but when referencing drunk, boorish Cubs fans it's just a couple of idiots.  Nice double standard.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »
So in your case we can generalize statements to represent an entire population, but when referencing drunk, boorish Cubs fans it's just a couple of idiots.  Nice double standard.

He didn't make reference to "drunk, boorish Cubs fans." He made reference to "Cub fans on this board."

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
He didn't make reference to "drunk, boorish Cubs fans." He made reference to "Cub fans on this board."

I know that, my point is that just because YOU don't disparage Milwaukee as a city doesn't mean we can assume nobody on this board doesn't disparage Milwaukee as a city. 

You're comments come across as 'my opinion is representative of all Cubs fans in Milwaukee'

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »
I know that, my point is that just because YOU don't disparage Milwaukee as a city doesn't mean we can assume nobody on this board doesn't disparage Milwaukee as a city. 

You're comments come across as 'my opinion is representative of all Cubs fans in Milwaukee'

Paraphrasing...

ringout: Cubs fans on this board disparage Milwaukee.
MM: I am a Cubs fan on this board and I do not disparage Milwaukee.
Conclusion: Not all Cubs fans on this board disparage Milwaukee.

Therefore, ringout's initial statement was proven false.

That's all I was saying.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2011, 10:30:21 AM »
Paraphrasing...

ringout: Cubs fans on this board disparage Milwaukee.
MM: I am a Cubs fan on this board and I do not disparage Milwaukee.
Conclusion: Not all Cubs fans on this board disparage Milwaukee.

Therefore, ringout's initial statement was proven false.

That's all I was saying.

MM,  I am wrong about you.  I am right about every other native Chicagoan.    (Just kidding.  Obviously I was overstating my case to make a point.)   Usually, It is not a problem with alum that stay in MKE.  It's more an issue with those that went back to Chicago on the afternoon they graduated because, well, you know, Milwaukee sucks.

My Dad was a native Chicagoan.  I have lived in MKE area since age of 3.  My Chicago cousins still ask "Don't you want to move to Chicago?"  It is as if they think "My God.  Who would live in MKE, if they had a choice to live in Chicago."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
MM,  I am wrong about you.  I am right about every other native Chicagoan.   (Just kidding.  Obviously I was overstating my case to make a point.)   Usually, It is not a problem with alum that stay in MKE.  It's more an issue with those that went back to Chicago on the afternoon they graduated because, well, you know, Milwaukee sucks.

My Dad was a native Chicagoan.  I have lived in MKE area since age of 3.  My Chicago cousins still ask "Don't you want to move to Chicago?"  It is as if they think "My God.  Who would live in MKE, if they had a choice to live in Chicago."

I get that too but it's usual from people who have never spent much time in Milwaukee and often don't leave the 5 block area surrounding their overpriced condo in downtown Chicago. I actually think Milwaukee is a great city (particularly in the summer) and gets a bad rap. Brewers fans, however, deserve the bad rap they have  ;)

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
I get that too but it's usual from people who have never spent much time in Milwaukee and often don't leave the 5 block area surrounding their overpriced condo in downtown Chicago. I actually think Milwaukee is a great city (particularly in the summer) and gets a bad rap. Brewers fans, however, deserve the bad rap they have  ;)

As evidenced by that video that someone took the time to make, and which people find funny due to its relevance and shades of truth, I'd say that Cubs fans have more of a 'bad rap' than Brewers fans in circles larger than just Cubs/Brewers fans.  Just sayin'.  (Not saying you are like that, or most are like that, but if we're talking reputation... again, there is a reason that video is funny, and its because its NOT ridiculous). 

Huge props for getting to actually know Milwaukee, though, MM.  Common ground, we have.  I also think its a great city, and I can't wait to get back there for the summer. 

True to the thread title, this really is turning into a pissing match!  ;)

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2011, 11:06:45 AM »

Except that most of the people I speak of were friends and acquaintances from my MU days.  They did spend time in MKE. 

I think we'll find as many moronic Brewer fans as Cub fans.  Throw out the extremes of both camps.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »
Except that most of the people I speak of were friends and acquaintances from my MU days.  They did spend time in MKE. 

I think we'll find as many moronic Brewer fans as Cub fans.  Throw out the extremes of both camps.

But if we throw out the extreme Brewer fans, they'll only be 8 people at game!   Unless of course the Brewers play the Cubs, then they'll be thousands of upstanding Cubs fans there to keep the Brewers out of the red.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »
Someone please explain how a professional baseball player (who makes $425,000/yr with future millions of $$ in sight) can have the slightest motivation to shoplift anything, let alone <$60.00 of shirts?

Maybe my question is rhetorical, but my guess is Mike Leake has some serious personality issues (disorders) that is going to make Zach Greinke look like Peter Gibbons.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2011, 10:20:18 AM »
Winona Ryder was a shoplifter too. There's the rare Jean Valjean who steals a loaf of bread to feed his family but most stealing has little to do with need.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »
But if we throw out the extreme Brewer fans, they'll only be 8 people at game!   Unless of course the Brewers play the Cubs, then they'll be thousands of upstanding Cubs fans there to keep the Brewers out of the red.

there will be?

I am not one to pick on minor spelling mistakes, but you literally said "they will only be 8 people at game" and "then they will be thousands of upstanding Cubs fans"  Not even close.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »
there will be?

I am not one to pick on minor spelling mistakes, but you literally said "they will only be 8 people at game" and "then they will be thousands of upstanding Cubs fans"  Not even close.

It's OK, he's a Cubs fan.  You have to be patient with them...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/120389304.html

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/120390559.html

Time to talk Ryan Braun's huge extension.  His old deal went through 2015. His new 5 year extension is through 2020, and the 5 year extension is worth $105 million.

Basically every brewers fan I've talked to disagrees with me on this, but I think this is a huge mistake.  I love Braun (I really do, think he's one of the 5 best hitters in baseball) but I don't see what the brewers gain with this deal, to offset the franchise damaging potential risk.  The extension covers Braun from 32-37 years old, and guarantees him an average of about 21mm over that span.  Without even mentioning injury potential, I don't see how he lives up to that. Even as contracts continue to go up over the years, this is gigantic risk for a team that simply can't absorb it.  We already had his prime years dirt cheap, and I get the whole loyalty thing. But one of the richest contracts in baseball for a 32-37 year old? There's just sooo much that can go wrong as opposed to what can go right.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2011, 03:43:46 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/120389304.html

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/120390559.html

Time to talk Ryan Braun's huge extension.  His old deal went through 2015. His new 5 year extension is through 2020, and the 5 year extension is worth $105 million.

Basically every brewers fan I've talked to disagrees with me on this, but I think this is a huge mistake.  I love Braun (I really do, think he's one of the 5 best hitters in baseball) but I don't see what the brewers gain with this deal, to offset the franchise damaging potential risk.  The extension covers Braun from 32-37 years old, and guarantees him an average of about 21mm over that span.  Without even mentioning injury potential, I don't see how he lives up to that. Even as contracts continue to go up over the years, this is gigantic risk for a team that simply can't absorb it.  We already had his prime years dirt cheap, and I get the whole loyalty thing. But one of the richest contracts in baseball for a 32-37 year old? There's just sooo much that can go wrong as opposed to what can go right.

I agree, really no reason to do this with 5 years left on is contract. Could have waited at least 2 years, if not 3 or 4, to lock him up long-term.  Maybe they panicked since Braun is having a pretty good start and Fielder is almost assuredly gone.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2011, 03:55:15 PM »
I'd take Braun in a second to that deal.

feedback