collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The People vs. OJ Simpson  (Read 14590 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The People vs. OJ Simpson
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
Vox.com also has a very good episode by episode fact check guide featuring a reporter who covered the trial. As my husband and I watched, there were many places where we both said simultaneously "that did not happen" and sure enough, it was a dramatization to show an event while saving story time. For example, the first assistant DA did not collapse in the courtroom, but he did leave the trial for health reasons. Other things that seemed preposterous really did happen, like the redecoration of OJ's home for the jury tour (and overall, the jury tour of the crime scenes in general - who does that?

It's important to remember that this was a dramatization - not a documentary - but overall it did a good job of depicting the circus around the trial and the racial views of the day. And OJ really was a god in those days. Even white folks had a hard time believing he did it - until later when he stupidly commited armed robbery to steal some of his sports memorabilia back from a dealer at a Las Vegas show.

I don't think this is that uncommon?  I know for sure it happens on occasion.  But I was shocked to see they had OJ walking around the scene with the jury.  That was just odd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2016, 01:06:35 PM »
One of the most interesting parts of the miniseries was the depiction of Robert Kardashian's slow realization that O.J. did it.  He went from being a guy who could never imagine his best friend committing this crime to one who ran to the courthouse bathroom and vomited after the verdict was read.  Of course, most of this did not play out in the press at the time, but my most distinctive memory of watching the verdict was the look on Robert Kadashian's face.  He stood there, stunned,  as the rest of the defense team hugged OJ and each other.

Agree 100%. I was very surprised to find his story to be the most interesting side story. Not only was he slowly realizing that his best friend was a murderer, but he was a member of his defense team trying to get an acquittal. Schwimmer did some excellent work with the part...although it was mildly distracting that he was so much bigger than Cuba Gooding.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »
I don't think this is that uncommon?  I know for sure it happens on occasion.  But I was shocked to see they had OJ walking around the scene with the jury.  That was just odd.

It's pretty uncommon, but I've seen it happen in a few trials.
They definitely keep the defendant well separated from the jurors, but the defendant has an absolute right to be there, and usually is (cause road trip!. It's a part of one's right to face an accuser, which is generally expanded to mean you have the right to see all evidence presented against you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »
It's pretty uncommon, but I've seen it happen in a few trials.
They definitely keep the defendant well separated from the jurors, but the defendant has an absolute right to be there, and usually is (cause road trip!. It's a part of one's right to face an accuser, which is generally expanded to mean you have the right to see all evidence presented against you.

Interesting.  I had no idea.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »
Agree 100%. I was very surprised to find his story to be the most interesting side story. Not only was he slowly realizing that his best friend was a murderer, but he was a member of his defense team trying to get an acquittal. Schwimmer did some excellent work with the part...although it was mildly distracting that he was so much bigger than Cuba Gooding.

And I thought Schwimmer was pretty bad and thought the character would have been served better by a superior actor.

Vive la difference!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2016, 03:44:17 PM »
And I thought Schwimmer was pretty bad and thought the character would have been served better by a superior actor.

Vive la difference!

Lots of Emmy buzz for Schwimmer.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2016, 04:00:49 PM »
Lots of Emmy buzz for Schwimmer.

There you go.

I've never seen Big Bang Theory and it wins 100 Emmys a year, so what the hell do I know?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »
There you go.

I've never seen Big Bang Theory and it wins 100 Emmys a year, so what the hell do I know?

i don't watch sitcoms except big bang and modern family-that's it.  can watch reruns after reruns after...jim parsons from big bang is an incredible talent.  i'm not a theater/shakespeare et.al. guy, but i'd pay to see him do shakespeare without falling asleep
don't...don't don't don't don't

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:18 PM »
I was lawyering about 12 yrs when this went down. I worked with a guy who had been Chief Felony Prosecutor--Capital Crimes Unit for Harris County (just having shifted over to work with we civil attorneys) . In Houston he prosecuted and won some very high profile murder trials.

While daily watching the action with him at work...he  was our expert.
I remember he was very critical of : 1)forum choice, 2) couldn't believe how the defense almost hijacked jury selection in their favor ( he said he would have had the state also hire a selection consultant, like the defense); 3) that you never allow demonstrations of physical evidence; 4) that you'd seal off the home and video it....to prevent the "staging" done by Cochran 5) that you try to limit all testimony of actions in investigation....just elicit what was found and where...ie scope of Furman testimony was way too detailed; 6) That you try to find reasons to have the victim's family testify...ie once you got in the prior beating stuff...call family members who cry a lot and say they too were aware of that (the jury makes the link to the crime better, hearing from them); and 7) the sheer trial length was destructive of theme and of highlighting their 4-5 best evidence points;

He acknowledged though that once the race issue was keyed to defense, no prosecutor can really blunt the momentum.... he said he would have closing argued to remind jurors of their sworn oath to "set aside all prejudice" ie he thought it important to challenge them to do exactly what they SWORE to do. Dont argue or apologize over race like darden did...make them realize they swore an oath to set that point aside

The show itself was fine...I tutored and gained all my insight from my buddy and at the verdict...he said....I think I would have done it better...smiled...and then said....but I still might have lost, too

Reasonable doubt can be in the minutial level and support a not guilty...too many holes in the case as it was presented left that door  open and the jury slammed it. That he did it is lacking in relevance...the issue is did the state meet its sole, and undelegable burden in proving it beyond any reasonable doubt...the jury said it did not
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
There you go.

You would enjoy it I think.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

That is what my brother told me so we tried it, terrible, please name the last show that was any good and used a laugh track because that one isn't it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2016, 10:30:41 AM »

Meh.  I have seen it a few times.  22 minutes of nerd jokes.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2016, 10:56:32 AM »
That is what my brother told me so we tried it, terrible, please name the last show that was any good and used a laugh track because that one isn't it.

you have to be patient enough with it to understand the character development.  once you've established that, it's clever and funny as balls.  same with modern family-character development-eric stonestreet is incredible
don't...don't don't don't don't

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2016, 11:13:11 AM »

Seinfeld...which went off the air 18 years go.

Wife and I tried on multiple occasions to watch Big Bang...but found it unfunny and painful to watch. Happy/relieved to hear that we're not the only ones.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2016, 11:13:34 AM »
you have to be patient enough with it to understand the character development.  once you've established that, it's clever and funny as balls.  same with modern family-character development-eric stonestreet is incredible

Modern Family is the only network comedy we watch. It's not as funny as it used to be and the plot is the exact same pretty much every week: Character A tries to deceive Character B about some issue; Character B gets suspicious as Character A's deception gets goofier and goofier; Character A finally fesses up but that's OK with Character B, who loves Character A anyway. Toss in a little sexual innuendo and a cute line or two for Lily. Wrap it up and get ready for next week.

Despite that, it has mostly good acting and several good chuckles most weeks.

I'm sure there might be another show or two worth watching, but we can't watch everything. We already have too much on HBO, SHOW, FX, AMC, Netflix, etc. Those are in addition to sports, news, etc.

Can't watch everything!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2016, 11:17:01 AM »
Modern Family is the only network comedy we watch. It's not as funny as it used to be and the plot is the exact same pretty much every week: Character A tries to deceive Character B about some issue; Character B gets suspicious as Character A's deception gets goofier and goofier; Character A finally fesses up but that's OK with Character B, who loves Character A anyway. Toss in a little sexual innuendo and a cute line or two for Lily. Wrap it up and get ready for next week.

I'm sure there might be another show or two worth watching, but we can't watch everything. We already have too much on HBO, SHOW, FX, AMC, Netflix, etc. Those are in addition to sports, news, etc.

Can't watch everything!

It don't know that I totally agree with the cookie cutter criticism but I get your POV on it. They've earned a lot of leeway with me after the "Apple" episode last season, it was brilliant television
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »
It don't know that I totally agree with the cookie cutter criticism but I get your POV on it. They've earned a lot of leeway with me after the "Apple" episode last season, it was brilliant television

Well, of course the character doing the deceiving and the one being deceived changes every episode. And the nature and scope of the deception changes, too. But seriously, watch any episode and let me know if this isn't a major theme - if not the major theme. It hasn't ruined it for me; it actually cracks me up as my wife and I try to guess who the deceiver/deceived will be before we watch every episode.

And yes, the Apple one was hilarious. The show still is often quite funny.

And speaking of funny ...

Just watched the season opener of Veep. My wife and I couldn't stop laughing. It was as funny as anything they've ever done, especially the first 10-15 minutes. Dreyfus is a national comedy treasure.

brandx

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »

Just watched the season opener of Veep. My wife and I couldn't stop laughing. It was as funny as anything they've ever done, especially the first 10-15 minutes. Dreyfus is a national comedy treasure.

They have set the bar pretty high. I have never seen a bad episode of this show. They have amassed both a great set of characters and the actors who portray them.

The "Founding F***ers" line was one of the funniest ever.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2016, 02:05:53 PM »
Well, of course the character doing the deceiving and the one being deceived changes every episode. And the nature and scope of the deception changes, too. But seriously, watch any episode and let me know if this isn't a major theme - if not the major theme. It hasn't ruined it for me; it actually cracks me up as my wife and I try to guess who the deceiver/deceived will be before we watch every episode.

And yes, the Apple one was hilarious. The show still is often quite funny.

And speaking of funny ...

Modern Family was an excellent show that's past its prime. It still has Phil and some great one-liners and it still cranks out the occasional hilarious episode, but its largely just going through the motions at this point. It'd be interesting if they had Cam and Mitchell get divorced. It'd be a new outlet for some awkward comedy (while still having heart) and be a "ground-breaking" shake-up for several reasons. It'll obviously never happen but it would actually make sense considering those two characters often don't seem to like each other.

Veep is the best show since Arrested Development.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
They have set the bar pretty high. I have never seen a bad episode of this show. They have amassed both a great set of characters and the actors who portray them.

The "Founding F***ers" line was one of the funniest ever.

Yes, it is consistently funny. I just don't remember laughing quite as much as I did this time. Maybe it was just the chance to see truly hilarious TV again.

Kevin Dunn, who plays the chief of staff, was especially funny. Again, he's always funny ... and maybe it was absence making my heart grow fonder ... but I laughed loudly at probably a half-dozen of his lines. Had to rewind the DVR a couple times because our laughter made us miss the next line!

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is amazing in this show. She was, obviously, spectacular in Seinfeld. She even made New Christine watchable - hell with watchable; it was funnier than most things on today. Selina Meyer was THE perfect role for her.

What a comedic actress. There haven't been too many as funny in TV history.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »

Veep is the best show since Arrested Development.

Us fans of a little show that airs just before Veep beg to differ.
And I assume by show you mean sitcom.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2016, 02:27:15 PM »
Us fans of a little show that airs just before Veep beg to differ.
And I assume by show you mean sitcom.

Nope. I meant show.

brandx

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2016, 03:06:23 PM »
Nope. I meant show.

Maybe the best two hour lineup in the history of television.

Russ Hanneman's explanation how he wanted the doors to open on his car (last year) was one of the funniest things I have seen on TV.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2016, 03:14:50 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »

Can't watch everything!

Try Blackish - it has its moments.

feedback