Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU?  (Read 438 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Nothing good, either in a literal financial sense or in an overarching narrative sense.

https://painttouches.com/2024/05/22/what-does-the-potential-ncaa-settlement-mean-for-marquette-and-the-big-east/?utm_source=muscoop

Here's an example of what it will look like in practice.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
So...

Marquette, along with every other non-FBS school, will be subsidizing back NIL payments to FBS football players.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PaintTouches

• All American
So...

Marquette, along with every other non-FBS school, will be subsidizing back NIL payments to FBS football players.

Dammit, that would have saved a lot of typing. Exactly this and with apologies, I'm going to quote you going forward because it's perfect.

• All American
Thank you. Occasionally I can get something right!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MDMU04

• All American
Don't worry, private equity is here to save the day.

https://www.on3.com/news/private-equity-firms-drew-weatherford-infuse-millions-into-cash-strapped-athletic-departments-revenue-sharing-college-football/

Nothing has ever gone wrong when PE firms get involved and pitch themselves as the benevolent white knight solution to a problem.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
Don't worry, private equity is here to save the day.

https://www.on3.com/news/private-equity-firms-drew-weatherford-infuse-millions-into-cash-strapped-athletic-departments-revenue-sharing-college-football/

Nothing has ever gone wrong when PE firms get involved and pitch themselves as the benevolent white knight solution to a problem.

I don't get it. We've been told by the media that colleges have been making billions off the slave labor. Multi-million dollar buy-outs are merely rounding errors to schools. $500k to MU is like you and I being charged twice for fries at McDonalds.  Whoop-de-doo.

Or maybe, just maybe, not all parties to this discussion have been 100% honest?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I don't get it. We've been told by the media that colleges have been making billions off the slave labor. Multi-million dollar buy-outs are merely rounding errors to schools. $500k to MU is like you and I being charged twice for fries at McDonalds.  Whoop-de-doo.

Or maybe, just maybe, not all parties to this discussion have been 100% honest?

I don't think you're being 100% honest with this take either.

I think generally when people talk about schools making billions, they are talking about college football in general making billions, not every individual school within the FBS making billions. And those billions are nowhere close to being evenly distributed. College football making billions and the existence of cash-strapped athletic departments can both be true.

For the elite schools, multi-million dollar buyouts are merely rounding errors. I don't know about MU but to a school like Bama, $500K is not a significant amount of money.

Slave labor is inflammatory and insensitive to the horrors of actual slavery, but the general point that many athletes were grossly underpaid compared to the value that they brought is accurate.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
I will also say that a lot of athletic departments, even though they have raked in the revenue, have also gotten themselves in budget issues because they have tied up a lot of costs in long term capital projects. Oftentimes these projects were initiated years ago, by people who are no longer in charge, yet their successors have had to deal with those costs plus now dealing with the costs of the liabilities in this case as well as paying additional for labor.

Oh and I have never seen an athletic department with a significant operating reserve. They generally spend every nickel they make.

Professional sports has a much longer history of consistent revenues, which are directly tied to player expenses, which makes financial planning much easier. College administrators have had to deal with a potential rapid increase in player costs, without a corresponding increase in revenue. (Except for the B10 and the SEC)

WhiteTrash

• All American
I don't think you're being 100% honest with this take either.

I think generally when people talk about schools making billions, they are talking about college football in general making billions, not every individual school within the FBS making billions. And those billions are nowhere close to being evenly distributed. College football making billions and the existence of cash-strapped athletic departments can both be true.

For the elite schools, multi-million dollar buyouts are merely rounding errors. I don't know about MU but to a school like Bama, $500K is not a significant amount of money.

Slave labor is inflammatory and insensitive to the horrors of actual slavery, but the general point that many athletes were grossly underpaid compared to the value that they brought is accurate.
I am being 100% honest. There were many TV and radio shows making serious comments about the billions of dollars the schools are making. There was no effort to separate Alabama from Mount Saint Mary's. There were articles and op.ed.s calling the NCAA schools modern slavers.

I agree 100% with everything else you wrote. The slavery comments were gross and completely inaccurate. A total slap in the face to those who have and still experience slavery.

I agree that many players were grossly underpaid, but many are arguably over compensated for sitting at the end of the benches, especially for schools that don't generate meaningful revenues (i.e. Mt. St. Mary's). But in the end, the schools make the decision to participate in and fund DI sports, not the athletes.

SaveOD238

• All American
I'm not sure I want to jump into bed with a football conference again, but if the non-football conferences continue to get the short end of the stick, does that increase the motivation to ditch the Big East if a football conference (probably the Big 12) comes calling?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
I'm not sure I want to jump into bed with a football conference again, but if the non-football conferences continue to get the short end of the stick, does that increase the motivation to ditch the Big East if a football conference (probably the Big 12) comes calling?

I'd have to imagine that the Big East is an all or nothing type of acquisition for a conference. Most conferences wouldn't be happy to have these tiny catholic schools come in and beat up their biggest brands every year.

feedback