[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DeAndre Liggins Out of the Picture  (Read 7274 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: DeAndre Liggins Out of the Picture
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »
I guess it will continue to go right over your head so I will have to leave it at that.  You are making my point for me...yes we were 10-6 the last 2 years becuase we had the 3 Amigos you dont for a second beleive this team minus the 3 amigos and say they be substituted with a 3 top 150 type recruits does the same do you?

The team in 2005 with Novak and Diener went .500 in C-Usa you feel that was enough talent to go 10-6 in the BE or does the fact that we signed 3 top 50 kids make the difference?

A more talented team will win most nights....winning is 90% talent.
Bottom line we need 2-3 more top 100 recruits in this and next years class,  total,  to remain where we are.   And where are we?  good but far from great...double digit losses the last two years with a total of 1 conference win and 0 NCAA win.  i guess I'm just not much for the status quo and losing the big 3 while replacing them with Acker, Williams and Christopherson puts us back into 2004. 

Again, we cannot speak in certainties until the chips fall. Your sample size is very small. You are really talking about a very short time period.

I agree that MU will need to replace talent with more talent... but to make such bold assumptions about 2009-2010 is both bold and probably ignorant. What if a great player transfers in? What if Hayward over achieves? Lots of variables... you are just looking at 1 of them.

I assume MU will be good because I trust the coaches... you assume they will be bad because you don't trust the coaches.

The only difference is that I'm not telling everybody that MU will be great in 2010 because I'm not blinded by the dislike or like (depending on who you are) of the coaches like you are.

I DON'T KNOW HOW GOOD MU WILL BE IN 2010... TO SPECULATE IN 2007 IS SILLY.

Speculate on 2007... at least then we will have a realistic chance of discussing it.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 06:14:28 AM »
And all we need is 1 or 2 good freshmen in the next 2 years and we'd be fine because nowadays freshmen can contribute early and at a high capacity.  This isn't the 70s or 80s where we have to plan an extra year or two beyond signing a good recruit because freshmen and sophomores can come in and play and like I mentioned earlier contibute. (see, durant, oden, conley, dj, wes, jerel)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 07:11:44 AM »
I guess it will continue to go right over your head so I will have to leave it at that.  You are making my point for me...yes we were 10-6 the last 2 years becuase we had the 3 Amigos you dont for a second beleive this team minus the 3 amigos and say they be substituted with a 3 top 150 type recruits does the same do you?

The team in 2005 with Novak and Diener went .500 in C-Usa you feel that was enough talent to go 10-6 in the BE or does the fact that we signed 3 top 50 kids make the difference?

A more talented team will win most nights....winning is 90% talent.
Bottom line we need 2-3 more top 100 recruits in this and next years class,  total,  to remain where we are.   And where are we?  good but far from great...double digit losses the last two years with a total of 1 conference win and 0 NCAA win.  i guess I'm just not much for the status quo and losing the big 3 while replacing them with Acker, Williams and Christopherson puts us back into 2004. 

I'm not even trying to say that we could replace the 3 amigos with three 150 ranked FRESHMEN.  I think by the time Wesley, Jerel, and DJ are gone we will have players with either raw talent or talent and experience to get us through.  I am not saying that Christopherson or Acker RIGHT NOW are as good as the 3 amigos but just because a player isn't top 100 doesn't mean they can't develop into it.  I see enough talent coming in, and the 3 amigos not rushing out of town that we should be ok.  Cube will improve every year as well.

Also we have Nick Williams coming in, he is top 100 so by your standard Crean only needs one or two more to hold the team together.......why the panic button?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 10:18:16 AM »
TC has shown the ability to recruit top notch perimeter players so I am not very concerned about replacing McNeal, Matthews and Dom James.  I have no idea why Harrison would. 

By all accounts Nick Williams is a very good player who has a better outside shot than any of the big 3.  And that is a great start.

In addition, we could very well land Iman Shumpert who has sky rocketed to #15 in Scouts rankings.  Now just think about that, we have a legit chance of getting a top 20 player.  When was the last time we had a LEGIT chance of getting that type of player.  None of the big 3 had a ranking that high.

Finally, we now have a legit interior player ranked in the top 100 in Mbakwe, yet Harrison has decided to gloss over that ranking because it does not fit his agenda.  That alone should set us up for the potential for greater things as we have not had that type of interior talent coming in, in a long time.  Barro was a gifted RAW talent.  Mbakwe is a gifted talent that is a lot further along.  If we close the deal on Shumpert and Jamil Wilson the year after, look out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 03:24:37 PM »
expect this to be a recurring theme over the summer.  As Crean's 4 and 5 star "recruits" end up elsewhere, especially if they stand 6'7" or taller.   Sadly Crean has signed 2 good recruiting classes in 8 years, and our BE brethren recruit circles around us.  The big 3 ( maybe 2) will be Juniors next year, Crean's time is running out.

From Cincinnati's coach....you recruit many to land just a few.

"I'm a numbers guy," observes Cronin, "so to sign six guys, we've got to recruit probably 20. It takes almost three-and-a-half to four guys to get one recruit. And that's way down from the number you start with. So now, when you're recruiting 20 guys to get six, you've got to recruit the kid, you've got to recruit at least one family member and at least one of the coaches, high school or AAU. So now you're dealing with 60 people on a daily basis as a staff."

feedback