[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Record Donation  (Read 6457 times)

SGWarrior

• Starter
  • "I'm a winning guy."
OT: Record Donation
« on: May 04, 2007, 07:16:47 AM »
Makes my $200 per year Blue & Gold Fund contribution look really insignificant.  But congrats to these fine people.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=601030

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: OT: Record Donation
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:10:14 AM »
what great news for MU, super!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 08:16:17 AM »
Is that enough to start a football team?   ;D   Too bad about the new Law school building going on Tory Hill.   I remember many hours throwing a frisbee around or playing keg softball or just laying out and studying there.   Some of the only greenspace on campus.    But I would have been able to watch all of the construction from my room sophomore and junior years, which, coincidentally, was Tower 912.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 08:23:42 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 08:44:59 AM »
Who knew there was that kind of money in river barges? 

I like the green Tory Hill too, but it sounds like this building will really put a "face" on Marquette from the freeway. 
Ludum habemus.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:53:14 AM »
I think that this is great.  This facilities upgrade should improve the prestige of the law school.

I also wish that there was more green space on campus, but Marquette is an urban school, and we have to take advantage of opportunities to upgrade buildings.

Every year Marquette's campus and facilities get better, which is really nice to see.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »
Tremendous news for Marquette. I often wonder how the offspring of people like this feel!

As for greenspace, I agree...MU is an urban school. I do think the one mistake they made was building on Triangle Field. Those apartments are dumpy and it was a great place for a party!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 09:10:37 AM »
Wow.

Does anyone know what is going to replace the current Law school building?
SS Marquette

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:28:07 AM »
Wow.

Does anyone know what is going to replace the current Law school building?

I was told that they will move some of the administration offices from O'Hara Hall into the older part of the law school (Sensenbrenner Hall).  Plans are still up in the air.   
Ludum habemus.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
In terms of green space on campus, they are moving 11th street east of Tower. The space between Tower and Cobeen will be made into a mall, with some pavement in order to facilitate move-in at the dorms.

http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2007/05/03/News/Interchange.Adds.More.Green.Space-2890805.shtml

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »
I just like how all the new building have the same design and I hope that continues with this building. You really know when you step foot on Marquette Campus now because all the Buildings have the same feel.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 01:05:02 PM »
I tried to find a picture of it, but the new planned engineering building on the Southwest corner of 16th and Wisconsin looks just as sharp.

It's a glass tower, 7-8 stories high, with a connecting skywalk to the Haggerty Engineering building.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »
I enjoy the new library and those style of buildings because they're more traditional.  New-age design may look impressive now but after 20 years you get an eyesore know as Laulimere (spelling?) or the Wehr science buildings...they may have looked good in the 60's and 70's but they sure don't today.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »
Who knew there was that kind of money in river barges? 

That business reminds me of the story of the two former businessmen who had retired to Florida and met each other as they lay by the pool. They soon got to talking about how each made his respective fortune.  The first businessman says that he had owned a warehouse but fire had destroyed it.  So instead of trying to rebuild his business and slaving away day and night he simply took the insurance money and retired.    The second businessman says, that's funny, I owned some docks.  They were destroyed in a flood.  Instead of rebuilding the docks and slaving away to rebuild the business, I took the insurance money and decided to retired as well.    The first businessman then asks, "how do you start a flood?"

Anyways, the donation is good news for MU. 

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 03:23:21 PM »
Here's a picture of the new law school. Hopefully this could propel the law school into the 2nd or even 1st tier. Our ranking has slipped a bit in the past few years.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:07:35 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

4everwarriors

• All American
Avenue, Dude...
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »
Repeat after me. Tier 1 is better than Tier 2 which is better than Tier 3. MU just barely climbed into Tier 2 which is Top 100 after being in Tier 3. Maybe the new building will be just what is needed to propel the rest of the program into the top 50 or Tier 1? 
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Avenue, Dude...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 12:03:20 AM »
Repeat after me. Tier 1 is better than Tier 2 which is better than Tier 3. MU just barely climbed into Tier 2 which is Top 100 after being in Tier 3. Maybe the new building will be just what is needed to propel the rest of the program into the top 50 or Tier 1? 

Tier 1 and Tier 2 have been combined in US News and World Report now.  MU is 97th in the "TOP LAW SCHOOLS" ranking followed by Tier 3 schools next

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php

http://www.library.uiuc.edu/edx/ranklaw.htm

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 02:37:54 PM »
That's pretty cool, thanks for the link hilltopper

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »
It is super cool.  Try this .. bring  up the view of your house .. now, run outside and wave to the camera .. then run back in and refresh the screen.  Keep trying until you see yourself waving.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 04:01:04 PM »
It is super cool.  Try this .. bring  up the view of your house .. now, run outside and wave to the camera .. then run back in and refresh the screen.  Keep trying until you see yourself waving.

LOL....I hope no one took you seriously on that.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 04:06:52 PM »

No....... >:(

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »
 ;D

I could just see a bunch of people running outside to "wave" to the sky and then running back in...back and forth...back and forth.

Hilltopper has a great sense of humor.   ;D

Someday we probably will be there, but right now the updates aren't quite that fast.   ;)

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 06:08:37 PM »

Obviously that's what I meant. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I edited it. Thanks.
We Are Marquette

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 10:08:29 PM »
FYI .. Microsoft's mapping site has some great ariel shots of Milwaukee, including of course, Marquette.  You can look any direction (N/S/E/West).  Here's Tory Hill:

Holy crap, that is cool.  I checked out my house and the lawn service truck is parked in front of my house.  I guess the bill in my door when I got home from work tonight was legit.

I take that back.  Actually, that is a little disturbing.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 10:18:23 PM »
Upon further review, it must have been a very strange coincidence.  I just noticed a few houses in a couple of streets away that are under construction in the photo, but they are completed right now.

Whew, that freaked me out for a minute there.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 08:59:12 AM »

Ixnay on the oke-ja explainingnay!

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
wikimapia
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 01:38:26 PM »
this is a good one too -- and u can edit/add details on your community right onto the satellite pics

http://www.wikimapia.org

MurphysWarrior04

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 08:29:31 PM »

Tier 1 and Tier 2 have been combined in US News and World Report now.  MU is 97th in the "TOP LAW SCHOOLS" ranking followed by Tier 3 schools next

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php

http://www.library.uiuc.edu/edx/ranklaw.htm

Trust me, law students/professors/firms/etc. still refer to 1-50 as Tier 1.  Just because US News happens to group Tier 1 and 2 together, does not mean the division is not still there.  Not saying I agree with this, but it's there. 

And this is not coming from a bitter Tier 2 student...  I chose to take my law classes 70 miles west of Milwaukee for the tuition benefits, not because of a better "ranking"

feedback