Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Trib catches up with William Gates  (Read 2163 times)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
MU Trib catches up with William Gates
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:23:11 PM »
Motley crew

Marquette alums inspirational, but also infamous

By: Joseph Boesen

Posted: 5/1/07

William Gates, College of Communication '95

William Gates captured the hearts and minds of America when he co-starred with Arthur Agee Jr. in the documentary "Hoop Dreams." The story follows the two young men from a rough neighborhood in Chicago through their recruitment to a premier basketball high school in the suburbs and finally to college.

In the film, both Gates and Agee experience tough times. Gates suffers injuries to his leg while Agee witnesses family and friends succumb to the dangers of his neighborhood.

Gates grew up in the notoriously violent Cabrini Green neighborhood on the near north side of Chicago. He was recruited by St. Joseph's High School in Westchester, a western suburb of Chicago.

There, he started for the varsity basketball team as a freshman and worked his way into regional spotlight, which eventually brought him to Marquette on a full scholarship under then-head coach Kevin O'Neill.

"I had a great time at Marquette," Gates said.

Although at the end of the documentary he appears to be weary of life on the court, Gates later said the cameramen caught him at a bad time.

"I was like most freshmen, away from home and very homesick," he said.

While at Marquette, Gates said he was still dedicated to basketball and tried to get involved with the student body as much as possible.

"Our hangout spot was Real Chili," he said.

Associate Athletic Director Tom Ford was Gates' adviser at Marquette.

Filmed during Gates' high school years, the documentary was released during his senior year at Marquette, Ford said.

"I started the year fully committed to basketball and school but that lasted only a half a semester," Gates said. "At every city we played at, all these reporters would want to talk to me about my story."

Gates said the athletic department handled most of the interviews for him.

Ford said Gates had to continually get interviews and appearances checked out by an NCAA review board so he could maintain his eligibility.

"I knew it was a distraction and I didn't want the movie to overshadow what we were trying to do as a team," Gates said.

The distraction was bittersweet because it complicated the season but also served as a recruiting tool for Marquette, he said.

In 1995 Marquette went to the NIT final, and Gates played off the bench.

After graduation, Gates said he toured the world speaking about the movie, but the game of basketball was still very close to his heart.

"I still play, I still talk trash, and I hope I can keep playing until I turn 60," he said. "I still talk to (Agee) too."

Gates is now a senior pastor at Living Faith Community Center in the same neighborhood in which he grew up.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: MU Trib catches up with William Gates
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 07:55:12 AM »
Now, if someone could adopt Will Gates's wiki ...

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/william_gates

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:23:01 AM »
A lot of people don't remember what a huge "get" Will Gates was for the program at that time. His knee injury had scared off some bigger programs and we were very lucky for Gates to come as he brought Amal McCaskill with him. If it wasn't for that knee injury there is no doubt in my mind Will Gates would have had a shot at the NBA. He was one of the best high school players I've ever seen. He had size, skill, and a good basketball mind.
We Are Marquette

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »
I got to see a tiny slice of his ability at the MU/DePaul game in Chicago..., he was brilliant!  That knee injury changed his life for sure.