[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you want Dominic James in a Marquette uniform next year?

Yes
108 (87.1%)
No
16 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Do you want James back?  (Read 14714 times)

drewm88

• All American
Do you want James back?
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »
I'm curious how many people think we are better off without James. There's obviously a vocal portion, but are they representative of this site in general?
Ignore all other issues, like the scholarship situation, how James' pro career reflects on MU, what's better for him, where he is selected, etc.

Do you want Dominic James to play for us next year?

I'll start this off with a definitive YES.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Do you want James back?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »
If anyone votes no - please see a doctor soon to check for dementia.
But I like to throw handfuls...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
A mere yes is not enough.  Can you redo the poll to include a "hell, yes, what are you, stupid?" answer?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:30:56 PM »
I want the agressive, slashing, penetrating, 40 minutes of intensity James back. I can do without the James who doesn't show up until the second half and the James that shoots way too many bad 3 pointers.

I definately want James back. However, I think it's realistic to believe that some NBA team will take a gamble on him in the first round. This could have been a disaster if Cubian wasn't here. His emergence at PG is huge. I think he could step into the starting line up with no problem.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:44:51 PM »
I think DJ's return is probable and thats a very good thing for both DJ and MU. I originally felt he was a 3 year guy at his size.  In any event, lets wish the best for DJ whatever the outcome.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 02:06:33 PM »
Now the question is who are the loonies that voted no????
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 02:10:53 PM »
I think DJ's shot will determine everything. If James finds his shot at the pre-draft camp, his stock will rise big time and I think he's gone. If he is still tossing up bricks from the outside, he will be back at MU.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 02:11:05 PM »
"No, I'd rather not have a guy who has NBA talent on my team.  Give me some Euroball level guys, and that's all I want." ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 02:11:56 PM »
The people who don't want DJ back are the same trolls who only show up after MU losses. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »
Yes,
Not only for his penetration, slashing, aggresiveness, and skill sets but more importantly for his leadership and experience.  How many Junior guards have we had that have started as many games as James has in his first two years?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 03:05:28 PM »
No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

I would like to see Christopherson shoot and apss the ball with more effectiveness than DJ.

I would like to see Acker run the point with equal, if not greater success, than DJ.

I would like to see more threes made and less dribbling in place.
SS Marquette

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »
And I would like to see naked super models walk into my bedroom. Wanting to see it doesn't mean it is going to happen.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »
Wow, 77, maybe you just have parttimers instead of alzheimers.  You are clearly thinking only of the DJ that struggled in the last half of this past season.  What about the DJ that saved us versus Valpo?  What about the freshman DJ who did all those things you want?

Instead you want to replace a two year proven Big East guard with shooting struggles with a freshmen who hasn't played much against the kind of talent you will see in the BE, and a transfer who is smaller, less atheletic and played in the stellar basketball conference of the MAC for one year?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry, but that seems pretty insane to me Doc.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 03:17:01 PM »
No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

I would like to see Christopherson shoot and apss the ball with more effectiveness than DJ.

I would like to see Acker run the point with equal, if not greater success, than DJ.

You are freaking nuts. Sorry, but to want to have a freshman and super soph guard to take over for a one year removed Big East Freshman of the Year and a returning 1st team All-Big East member is pure lunacy.

But I like to throw handfuls...

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »
This shouldn't even be a post...you are simply out of your mind if you don't want him back and obviously know nothing about basketball.
Tradition Never Graduates..

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 04:00:13 PM »
I'm getting a kick out of the fact that the same people who think DJ is insane for going pro are the same people who think we can't live without him.

His loss will not exist in a vacuum.  He'll be replaced by a guy with about 75% of his talent and Wes, Fitz, Jerel & Ooze will all improve a bit as will Lazar plus Trevor. 

I hope he comes back but I don't think it changes things too much if he doesn't.  He's not Wade, he's not Robert Jackson. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 04:06:02 PM »
I want James back and voted yes without thinking about it much, but I understand the no's.  DJ was too often a frustrating player to watch last year, poor shot selection and poor shooting in general.  That said, believing we are a better team without him is crazy as it ignores all he brings to the table.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »
nice to know we have five idiots on the site but that is down from our rivals days!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
duh
 ::)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »
I'm getting a kick out of the fact that the same people who think DJ is insane for going pro are the same people who think we can't live without him.

His loss will not exist in a vacuum.  He'll be replaced by a guy with about 75% of his talent and Wes, Fitz, Jerel & Ooze will all improve a bit as will Lazar plus Trevor. 

I hope he comes back but I don't think it changes things too much if he doesn't.  He's not Wade, he's not Robert Jackson. 

I agree that his replacements should be good and that the other players around him will improve... but I also think DJ himself can/should improve next year.

He had a dynamite Frosh. year where he burst onto the scene
He had a very good soph. year where he was taken out of some games because teams have scouted him more and know how to stop him
Junior year is a time for DJ to adjust his game. He has seen how teams plan on stopping him, now he has to learn to adjust accordingly.

I think if he comes back MU will be very, very good. (could be top 10 most of the year)

If he doesn't come back, I think we will be about as good as this year because all of the other talent on the team should be improved.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »
nice to know we have five idiots on the site but that is down from our rivals days!

MUScoop - 91.9% non-idiots  :P

Harrison

• Team Captain
Must be a proctologist....
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »
Must be a proctologist....

77ncaachamps....No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

Can we now start a poll that votes to see if this is the dumbest post of all time.     HMMM...let's see a guy that is not even rated in the top 125 in the country come in after little HS competiton and play the way a guy that was top 50 in the nation coming out of arguably the best HS confernce in America that is 1st team all Big East and you expect Christopherson to nbe better?  Smae goes for Acker? 

Oh and by the way i just love how fans blame james for "dribbling in place" ...ahh... genius that is a product of Crean..Diener did it as did Jackson and Chapman and Henry did it before them.  Love how that gets thrown on the PG.

Pathetic post.  I agree the 5 that do not want James back know absolutely nothing ....and let me be clear absolutely zilch about basketball.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 07:16:58 PM »
77ncaachamps....No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

Wow... giving a good profession a bad name.  What kind of doctor are you?  I hope to God we didn't graduate from the same medical school or my degree is looking pretty pathetic right now. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »
Acker sitting out a year is going to hurt him, look at the difference between Fitzgerald last year to this past year...big improvement, when you sit a year, you lose a bit of your game, practice is not enough... Acker will be good, but I think Cubillan would start over him... if James does leave I think the starting 5 would be...

Cubillan
McNeal
Matthews
Fitz
Barro

with Christopherson, Acker, Mbakwe, and Lazar coming off the bench..... maybe switch Lazar and Fitz, however, that will still be a tough team, and a deep team... however no D James is going to be a huge hit
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 08:06:16 PM »
No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

So as an educated man (a doctor), you're willing to put the ball in the hands of someone you have never seen play 1 game in his life in the Big East (because he hasn't) over a First Team All Big East player.

It's nice to "like to see" these things, but the probability is another thing entirely.

I have reservations about Cubillian running point for 30 minutes. It's one thing to do it for 10, quite another to do it for 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:19:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »
Dude DJ is option 1 for as long as he chooses to play at MU.  The other guys are insurance policies against him leaving.  Period.  End of story.  If he goes it is a blow to the program.  One from which they will recover, but a blow none the less.  I'm hoping for one more year.  One more year that he doesn't work on his jumper for the scouts ala Doc Rivers' final year.

4everwarriors

• All American
Much To Do About Nothing
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 09:24:40 PM »
This is a non-story during a slow period in college hoops. Like it or not, DJ will be back since there is no way in hell he gets drafted in the first round this year unless, of course, the Bucks use the third pick on the local guy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Much To Do About Nothing
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »
This is a non-story during a slow period in college hoops. Like it or not, DJ will be back since there is no way in hell he gets drafted in the first round this year unless, of course, the Bucks use the third pick on the local guy.

Your last prediction had Billy Donovan as the head coach at Kentucky....you should lay off the predictions for awhile.

;)

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 08:00:05 AM »
i have seen acker in person many times..including when he was a fresh at ball state...he will be a great point guard for mu..will be a threat from distance in time...however, with that said, he is no dj!!! certain guys' ceilings are lower than others..

the people who vote no are the same people who boo him walking down the street and harrass the leading scorer 4 mins into a game..basketball i.q. of ZERO...whats funny to me is everyone talks about how bad a shooter and  bad decision maker he is..well folks he leads in assists..and points...seems to me question needs to be ..whats every1 else doing???

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 10:36:09 AM »
Agree that James is always option #1. Still think it's 50/50 as to whether he will be back for us next season. If not, I see the PG position as a true platoon set-up with Cubillan getting the early edge at the beginning of the season because even though both have only been in the program one year Cubillan actually played in the games.

Should be interesting to watch that position as it develops during the season.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 07:22:40 PM »
I think everyone is worked up about losing James. This team will run and be efficient even without him. James is no doubt a freak of an athlete but he does not make this team go. If he did, Crean would've given him the green light ALL the time. (Then again, he did and he missed a lot of shots.) Putting DJ in perspective: Diener could carry a team, DJ can't. That's mostly because Diener can shoot.

Next year's team will be fine without James. We'll have tons of guards to run the offense. No, they will not be filling his shoes, but they'll bring a different aspect to the game. What needs to change is the frontcourt play and the last time I checked DJ is not part of that.

Please don't overemphasize DJ's shot over Valpo. Whooopeeeee. One shot. DMase hit a big shot, where's he now?

Dissenting opinions should be welcome on the boards. Just because I don't want DJ back does not mar my enthusiasm for Marquette Hoops (heck, Mike Deane couldn't even do that!). I just feel that this is a good move for MU and especially for DJ because he's not going to get a better shot at the draft over the next two years.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:27:51 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Virginia Warrior 77

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 08:05:12 PM »
If DJ leaves there will be a HUGE void that may or not be adequately filled.  Lost in the discussion about shooting percentages, etc., is the fact that DJ brings a high level of leadership and toughness that no one else on the team has yet exhibited.  Maybe someone else will step up (Jerel? Wesley?) if he leaves.  But that is not a given.  If DJ does not return, it will be a tough season if no one steps in to fill the leadership and toughness vacuum, IMO.

4everwarriors

• All American
As Ziggy Is My Judge
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 08:05:50 PM »
I'm also the guy who predicted in February that Crean wouldn't have to worry about a second round tourney game this year. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 09:00:58 PM »
Maybe some people aren't worried about not having him back because they don't enjoy his style of play? Some people prefer basketball players to "athletes" when it comes to observing. Is that acceptable?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: As Ziggy Is My Judge
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 11:08:05 PM »
I'm also the guy who predicted in February that Crean wouldn't have to worry about a second round tourney game this year. ;D

You knew then that McNeal was going to break his hand in February...damn, you are Nostra Damus

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 11:10:17 PM »
Maybe some people aren't worried about not having him back because they don't enjoy his style of play? Some people prefer basketball players to "athletes" when it comes to observing. Is that acceptable?

PRN, I would think the NBA is drafting basketball players who are great athletes, not great athletes that know a little about basketball.

In college you can "out athlete" someone, not in the NBA where everyone is a great athlete.  If DJ gets drafted, then it's for one reason...he's a damn good basketball player

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 07:43:42 AM »
First of all, I was mearly presenting the Valpo game as an example of when James put this team on his back and carried them.  How about if I throw the Duke game from this year as well?

I'm all for disent, insanity is another animal though.  :P

77 and PRN I think you both greatly underestimate what DJ does for this team.  Yes his shooting sucked in the second half of the season and especially against MSU.  So you say Cube would be a better shooter.....I agree however he is not a create his own shot kind of player, nor does he have much of a drive abiliity or at least not one that we have seen yet.  DJ created a ton off the drive in both points and assists.  So if DJ is gone who is our slasher?  Jerel?  Cause I'm pretty sure both of you have complained that Jerel is too out of control sometimes.  And Acker is a big unknown....we think he will do fine but it sounds like he has about half the athletism that DJ has.

Bottom line is with DJ we are a top 10 team.  Without we are a top 25 team.  Maybe thats ok with you but not really with me.  Plus you are leaving DJ's two years of experience out and expect players with at most one year of BE experience to replace him.  I just think thats crazy is all.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 03:04:38 PM »
Bottom line is with DJ we are a top 10 team.  Without we are a top 25 team.  Maybe thats ok with you but not really with me.  Plus you are leaving DJ's two years of experience out and expect players with at most one year of BE experience to replace him.  I just think thats crazy is all.

I am not sold that we are a top 10 team with DJ. Maybe just for the sake of rankings, we're near a top 10 team but I don't see any improvement coming for our frontcourt to warrant a top 10 ranking.

We were spoiled with Diener and Novak's 4 years of service, and we expect the same from every talented player that steps through MU's threshold. If a player wants to declare for the draft, they'll do so - of course, with the guidance of Coach Crean. It may be deemed only in the negative light because of an incomplete term of service to MU, but it draws more attention to our program. And THAT's a good thing.
SS Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 03:26:27 PM »

I think that is honest... and that is acceptable.

I don't like DJ's style of play sometimes, but you take the good with the bad when you are talking about a kid that good.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2007, 09:55:10 PM »
I voted yes. However, if he does not comebackI think MU has enough guards to minimize the loss. The situation is much better than it was when Diener was the only player on the team that could play point. The 25+ minutes that James would get gives the other players more opportunity and the playing time, because James is not here can lead to a happier team. Either way the team's weakness is at the power positions.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2007, 10:47:48 AM »
While I would love to see him back and running the point, I am not sure how likely it is. He had a sophomore slump once conference came around, there is a reason that it's called a "sophomore slump". If he is back, I'm sure his decision making and overall abilities will be improved and he will play more like the DJ we saw against Valpo and the first time around against Pitt when he helped considerably in solidifying that victory.  Either way we will have a really good team next year. The one deciding factor on how good it is will be whether or not DJ is in the lineup.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »
While I would love to see him back and running the point, I am not sure how likely it is. He had a sophomore slump once conference came around, there is a reason that it's called a "sophomore slump". If he is back, I'm sure his decision making and overall abilities will be improved and he will play more like the DJ we saw against Valpo and the first time around against Pitt when he helped considerably in solidifying that victory.  Either way we will have a really good team next year. The one deciding factor on how good it is will be whether or not DJ is in the lineup.

I agree, I think with more maturity his consistency will increase. He's probably never going to be a lights out shooter, but he can certainly get better at shot selection, and hopefully the "lows" aren't as "low" and the team (and DJ specifically)will play more like they did against Duke all year long.

DJ does so many things well, that even when he isn't shooting well, he can dominate a game... he just has to get better at realizing when he is a little "off" and concentrate on doing all of the other things that make him great.

The players around him could help that as well... if they are scoring and making plays it will be easier for DJ to just direct the action instead of trying to create the action on each possesion.

This is an important off-season for the boys... it's time to gel together as a team and learn to play at a very high level every time they step on the floor.

Warrior Farls

• Walk-On
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2007, 12:15:12 PM »
Please don't overemphasize DJ's shot over Valpo. Whooopeeeee. One shot. DMase hit a big shot, where's he now?

One shot?  Didn't he score the last 17 points of the game?  That's a helluva "one shot".
"Roland was a warrior" -Warren Zevon

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »
Just sayin .. scoring the last 17 (14?) points of a game isn't a testament to you as much as it shows how badly your teammates were struggling during that period.

Just sayin.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 07:20:44 AM »
Then it is a testament to you because you are seeing ALL of the defensive attention.  If I see one guy has scored the last 10 points on my team don't you think the whole team starts to key in on the guy?  Also we have seen plenty of times where a majority of the team in whatever sport is lagging and one guy tries to do it himself and can't.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2007, 07:49:58 AM »
Everyone seems to be concentrated on his offense particularily his shooting woes for why they want him out. The two areas he'll be missed most if he goes is drive creating/assits and his D.  James passing skills are on the level D Wade's were when he was playing for us and as for DJ's D, I can remember two different alley-oop break ups that come to mind this year where DJ essentially became a free safety and intercepted the ball pretty high above the rim.  As much as I like Cooby and Acker, there is no way in hell they make plays like that.

Glad to see there are only 15 idiots on this board, thought the trolls would come out in greater numbers for this one.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2007, 08:33:07 AM »
Everyone seems to be concentrated on his offense particularily his shooting woes for why they want him out. The two areas he'll be missed most if he goes is drive creating/assits and his D.  James passing skills are on the level D Wade's were when he was playing for us and as for DJ's D, I can remember two different alley-oop break ups that come to mind this year where DJ essentially became a free safety and intercepted the ball pretty high above the rim.  As much as I like Cooby and Acker, there is no way in hell they make plays like that.

Glad to see there are only 15 idiots on this board, thought the trolls would come out in greater numbers for this one.

I don't think we'll be missing his assists. He only managed to average 4.9 assists per game, which is not stellar for a PG. McNeal averaged 3.8 apg as a shooting guard.

Assists only occur when you get the ball to your playmakers and they make it. For sure DJ was chucking up shots and missing them, but his guys he was passing to didn't make their shots.

I will not be surprised if Acker averages more. And that's my stone cold lock of the year.
SS Marquette

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2007, 09:04:30 AM »

I will not be surprised if Acker averages more. And that's my stone cold lock of the year.

WOW.

You have some high expectations for Acker (I guess I hope you are right).

It's almost how a lot of people thought that Fitz could step in and fill Novak's role. I love Fitz because of all of the things he can do, but very few players can step in and fill a NBA draft picks shoes.

I feel the same way about Acker and James. Acker will be a good player, but it would/will be very tough for him to just come in and fill James' shoes.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2007, 10:21:53 AM »
I want Good DJ. (2005-06 DJ)
I don't want Bad DJ (Too much of 2006-07).

If he's more decisivie (ie: not driving with his head down only to realize under the basket that he has no shot there), and can be better in his floor shot selection, then yes, I want him back.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews