Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Do you want Dominic James in a Marquette uniform next year?

Yes
108 (87.1%)
No
16 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Do you want James back?  (Read 14686 times)

drewm88

• All American
Do you want James back?
« on: April 25, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »
I'm curious how many people think we are better off without James. There's obviously a vocal portion, but are they representative of this site in general?
Ignore all other issues, like the scholarship situation, how James' pro career reflects on MU, what's better for him, where he is selected, etc.

Do you want Dominic James to play for us next year?

I'll start this off with a definitive YES.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Do you want James back?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »
If anyone votes no - please see a doctor soon to check for dementia.
But I like to throw handfuls...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
A mere yes is not enough.  Can you redo the poll to include a "hell, yes, what are you, stupid?" answer?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:30:56 PM »
I want the agressive, slashing, penetrating, 40 minutes of intensity James back. I can do without the James who doesn't show up until the second half and the James that shoots way too many bad 3 pointers.

I definately want James back. However, I think it's realistic to believe that some NBA team will take a gamble on him in the first round. This could have been a disaster if Cubian wasn't here. His emergence at PG is huge. I think he could step into the starting line up with no problem.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 01:44:51 PM »
I think DJ's return is probable and thats a very good thing for both DJ and MU. I originally felt he was a 3 year guy at his size.  In any event, lets wish the best for DJ whatever the outcome.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 02:06:33 PM »
Now the question is who are the loonies that voted no????
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 02:10:53 PM »
I think DJ's shot will determine everything. If James finds his shot at the pre-draft camp, his stock will rise big time and I think he's gone. If he is still tossing up bricks from the outside, he will be back at MU.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 02:11:05 PM »
"No, I'd rather not have a guy who has NBA talent on my team.  Give me some Euroball level guys, and that's all I want." ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

BigSky

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 02:11:56 PM »
The people who don't want DJ back are the same trolls who only show up after MU losses. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »
Yes,
Not only for his penetration, slashing, aggresiveness, and skill sets but more importantly for his leadership and experience.  How many Junior guards have we had that have started as many games as James has in his first two years?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 03:05:28 PM »
No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

I would like to see Christopherson shoot and apss the ball with more effectiveness than DJ.

I would like to see Acker run the point with equal, if not greater success, than DJ.

I would like to see more threes made and less dribbling in place.
SS Marquette

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »
And I would like to see naked super models walk into my bedroom. Wanting to see it doesn't mean it is going to happen.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »
Wow, 77, maybe you just have parttimers instead of alzheimers.  You are clearly thinking only of the DJ that struggled in the last half of this past season.  What about the DJ that saved us versus Valpo?  What about the freshman DJ who did all those things you want?

Instead you want to replace a two year proven Big East guard with shooting struggles with a freshmen who hasn't played much against the kind of talent you will see in the BE, and a transfer who is smaller, less atheletic and played in the stellar basketball conference of the MAC for one year?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry, but that seems pretty insane to me Doc.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 03:17:01 PM »
No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

I would like to see Christopherson shoot and apss the ball with more effectiveness than DJ.

I would like to see Acker run the point with equal, if not greater success, than DJ.

You are freaking nuts. Sorry, but to want to have a freshman and super soph guard to take over for a one year removed Big East Freshman of the Year and a returning 1st team All-Big East member is pure lunacy.

But I like to throw handfuls...

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »
This shouldn't even be a post...you are simply out of your mind if you don't want him back and obviously know nothing about basketball.
Tradition Never Graduates..

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 04:00:13 PM »
I'm getting a kick out of the fact that the same people who think DJ is insane for going pro are the same people who think we can't live without him.

His loss will not exist in a vacuum.  He'll be replaced by a guy with about 75% of his talent and Wes, Fitz, Jerel & Ooze will all improve a bit as will Lazar plus Trevor. 

I hope he comes back but I don't think it changes things too much if he doesn't.  He's not Wade, he's not Robert Jackson. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 04:06:02 PM »
I want James back and voted yes without thinking about it much, but I understand the no's.  DJ was too often a frustrating player to watch last year, poor shot selection and poor shooting in general.  That said, believing we are a better team without him is crazy as it ignores all he brings to the table.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 04:26:13 PM »
nice to know we have five idiots on the site but that is down from our rivals days!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
duh
 ::)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »
I'm getting a kick out of the fact that the same people who think DJ is insane for going pro are the same people who think we can't live without him.

His loss will not exist in a vacuum.  He'll be replaced by a guy with about 75% of his talent and Wes, Fitz, Jerel & Ooze will all improve a bit as will Lazar plus Trevor. 

I hope he comes back but I don't think it changes things too much if he doesn't.  He's not Wade, he's not Robert Jackson. 

I agree that his replacements should be good and that the other players around him will improve... but I also think DJ himself can/should improve next year.

He had a dynamite Frosh. year where he burst onto the scene
He had a very good soph. year where he was taken out of some games because teams have scouted him more and know how to stop him
Junior year is a time for DJ to adjust his game. He has seen how teams plan on stopping him, now he has to learn to adjust accordingly.

I think if he comes back MU will be very, very good. (could be top 10 most of the year)

If he doesn't come back, I think we will be about as good as this year because all of the other talent on the team should be improved.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »
nice to know we have five idiots on the site but that is down from our rivals days!

MUScoop - 91.9% non-idiots  :P

Harrison

• Team Captain
Must be a proctologist....
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »
Must be a proctologist....

77ncaachamps....No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

Can we now start a poll that votes to see if this is the dumbest post of all time.     HMMM...let's see a guy that is not even rated in the top 125 in the country come in after little HS competiton and play the way a guy that was top 50 in the nation coming out of arguably the best HS confernce in America that is 1st team all Big East and you expect Christopherson to nbe better?  Smae goes for Acker? 

Oh and by the way i just love how fans blame james for "dribbling in place" ...ahh... genius that is a product of Crean..Diener did it as did Jackson and Chapman and Henry did it before them.  Love how that gets thrown on the PG.

Pathetic post.  I agree the 5 that do not want James back know absolutely nothing ....and let me be clear absolutely zilch about basketball.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 07:16:58 PM »
77ncaachamps....No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

Wow... giving a good profession a bad name.  What kind of doctor are you?  I hope to God we didn't graduate from the same medical school or my degree is looking pretty pathetic right now. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »
Acker sitting out a year is going to hurt him, look at the difference between Fitzgerald last year to this past year...big improvement, when you sit a year, you lose a bit of your game, practice is not enough... Acker will be good, but I think Cubillan would start over him... if James does leave I think the starting 5 would be...

Cubillan
McNeal
Matthews
Fitz
Barro

with Christopherson, Acker, Mbakwe, and Lazar coming off the bench..... maybe switch Lazar and Fitz, however, that will still be a tough team, and a deep team... however no D James is going to be a huge hit
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 08:06:16 PM »
No.

I am a doctor.

I do not have dementia.

So as an educated man (a doctor), you're willing to put the ball in the hands of someone you have never seen play 1 game in his life in the Big East (because he hasn't) over a First Team All Big East player.

It's nice to "like to see" these things, but the probability is another thing entirely.

I have reservations about Cubillian running point for 30 minutes. It's one thing to do it for 10, quite another to do it for 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:19:08 PM by ChicosBailBonds »