[Today at 07:42:19 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Indiana, Crean Self-Report Secondary Recruiting Violation  (Read 5056 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Indiana, Crean Self-Report Secondary Recruiting Violation
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
I would agree under normal circumstances. But IU is on probation because of gross violations. Further violations while on probation should result in more penalties.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
I would agree under normal circumstances. But IU is on probation because of gross violations. Further violations while on probation should result in more penalties.

Under a previous regime.  They fired the coach...they fired the athletic director...they hired guys with clean reputations into both positions. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »

I agree. Crean's past record has nothing to do with this. Indiana is on probation so by proxy so is Crean. His violations are now IU's violations.

If Sultan is right then Crean got a recruiting edge by knowingly breaking the rules and will subsequently get a pat on the back from the NCAA by reporting it. How warped is that?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
I didn't say that Crean "will get a pat on the back," I said that the NCAA has a favorable view towards institutions that self-report occasional secondary violations - they give them the benefit of the doubt.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 10:25:03 AM »
What i would like to know after all of this is how in Hell is going to visit a recruit and making personal contact outside of the recruiting calendar only a secondary violation.  The player should be barred from accepting a scholarship from the University.  I realize this is punishing the recruit as well. I still cannot fathom how something like this is deemed "secondary".  That is a major violation for every obvious reason mentioned above.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 10:45:18 AM »
Saying that the NCAA has a "positive view of occasional and self reported secondary violations" and that it "shows a school's committment to compliance" sounds like a pat on the back to me. It's like they're saying, "We know that everybody inadvertantly makes innocent and minor mistakes. You're the good guys for reporting them".

The problem for me is the likelihood that this whole situation was anything but innocent. It was quite likely orchestrated from the beginning, including a self reported and blatantly phony mea culpa. It may work. He may get Harris and avoid the gendarmes. But how can it not make you squirm?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
It doesn't make me squirm because Crean has a history of being a relatively clean coach, and it's just a secondary violation.  Of all the crap that goes on in college athletics, this barely approaches any of it.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
Sultan, every time you comment.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 06:33:06 PM »
It doesn't make me squirm because Crean has a history of being a relatively clean coach, and it's just a secondary violation.  Of all the crap that goes on in college athletics, this barely approaches any of it.

It makes me squirm to think one of the biggest basketball programs in the nation isn't capable of avoiding a recruiting violation such as the one TC made. 

I haven't heard anyone state that TC's excuse could come close to being true.  Then there's the part about what came first, TC reporting the violation, or the Kentucky blogger blogging about it.  If TC reported it because he new he was busted that puts it at a different level.  What amazes me is that if MU/Buzz made this same mistake, and people on this board defended him, I'd bet 10:1 that you'd flip your argument and tell all the MU fans on this board that they're wrong for thinking this is no big deal. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »
I don't think so.  Secondary violations are fairly common, and since they are kept private, we don't even know if they may have done so already.  And if Buzz has had such violations, and they were self-reported, I wouldn't have a problem.

Interestingly, it is now being reported that IU had 18 such secondary violations as an athletic department over the past year...including one by Crean in 2010...and that this is a fairly common number for an athletic department of that size.

And by the way, I have been called a number of things on this board, but you can not call me hypocrite.  So you would lose your bet fairly soundly.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »
you can not call me hypocrite

Hypocrite!  Hah, it's easy to *call* you a hypocrite.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:59 PM »
This wasn't an accident. There's no way. Every coach worth a nickel has his recruiting schedule fully planned out. Every day, every visit, every practice. This is the equivalent of an H&R Block accountant not realizing it's past April 15th. And when you're on probation like IU is, that means every misstep is viewed as though your previous infractions happened yesterday. Another year is fully deserved.

I don't know. This is a silly mistake on IU's part, especially Compliance, but it is still a Secondary and these violations happen all the time. Hell, Mike Brey twisted a rule for Abro and it still bit them many months later. And, really, we've seen quite a few of these miscellaneous miscalculations occur over the past few years.

Considering the cloud that program is under you don't want any negative word to come out but this isn't the Lusitania.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »
I don't know. This is a silly mistake on IU's part, especially Compliance, but it is still a Secondary and these violations happen all the time. Hell, Mike Brey twisted a rule for Abro and it still bit them many months later. And, really, we've seen quite a few of these miscellaneous miscalculations occur over the past few years.

Considering the cloud that program is under you don't want any negative word to come out but this isn't the Lusitania.

I agree that it's not the Lusitania. It's also not merely a "silly mistake" or a "miscalculation".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:31:25 AM by Lennys Tap »

feedback