[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take It To The Bank  (Read 60543 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Take It To The Bank
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2018, 04:48:06 PM »
It is amusing to read the naive and simple, feeble-minded takes of my favorite posters here.

Wades:  You really think Buzz had to prove himself in an interview coming off 5 straight NCAA's and a Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8? 

Anyone really believe Buzz couldn't see playing Jake Thomas and Derrick Wilson 30+ together was a train wreck?

People really think Buzz was giving it his all as a coach his last season, when he vastly underperformed expectations for the first time in his career, said he was playing 4 on 5, and chose to play that way all year?

How do you explain Buzz playing Dawson 8 minutes the game after he got his one chance to play 30+ at G'Town and played a key role in helping us win on the road?

Buzz wanted out.  Buzz has pride.  Buzz certainly isn't above being a spiteful/prideful person.  He felt sold out by MU BOT and his parting gift was a big F You on the way out the door.

You often bring an insightful POV to Scoop but sorry to say this is tin foil hat stuff

MU82

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2018, 10:52:34 PM »
Going into that season it was possible that the Texas job might open up after that season.  You think the oil and tech money down in Texas, Buzz's home, would be super excited about adding a coach who intentionally threw a season away and/or that Buzz had no interest whatsoever in the possibility of coaching at Texas?  You really think Buzz was just dying to end up in Blacksburg, VA?  Well, if that's the case then you certainly are smarter than everyone here like you pretend to be Ners, because that is flat out insanity.

I think John Dawson only played 8 minutes the game after he got hot because, even though he was obviously a better player than Andrew Rowsey (lol!), he wasn't a very good basketball player.  He was a freshman guard shooting 32% from the field, 27% from 3, turning the ball over nearly as much as he was assisting it, and bringing basically absolutely nothing.  He got hot for one game, good for him.  He was a bad college basketball player.  Not good for Marquette.

After scoring 23 points in 26 minutes the first game of the season, Steve Kerr gave Nick Young 11 minutes in game two.  How is that possible, unless Steve Kerr was trying to throw the Warriors' season?  It's obvious that Kerr is looking to get out of Golden State and take over the Bucks next season, while flipping off the Warriors front office by ruining the dynasty on his way out.  I mean, the guy played Nick Young 11 minutes after he lit up the Rockets!  There's no other possibility than he's intentionally tanking this season!

See how stupid that sounds?

Stop it, wades.

Ners knows more than Steve Kerr, too.

Everybody knows Kerr didn't play HS basketball like Ners did.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »
Remember a lot of this is mental gymnastics to justify why Ners' favorite coach doesn't agree with Ners' suggested basketball tactics.  With Wojo he can simply say "he's a moron."  But he can't do that with Buzz.  So he says things like "stick it to the administration."

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2018, 11:26:15 AM »
Going into that season it was possible that the Texas job might open up after that season.  You think the oil and tech money down in Texas, Buzz's home, would be super excited about adding a coach who intentionally threw a season away and/or that Buzz had no interest whatsoever in the possibility of coaching at Texas?  You really think Buzz was just dying to end up in Blacksburg, VA?  Well, if that's the case then you certainly are smarter than everyone here like you pretend to be Ners, because that is flat out insanity.

I think John Dawson only played 8 minutes the game after he got hot because, even though he was obviously a better player than Andrew Rowsey (lol!), he wasn't a very good basketball player.  He was a freshman guard shooting 32% from the field, 27% from 3, turning the ball over nearly as much as he was assisting it, and bringing basically absolutely nothing.  He got hot for one game, good for him.  He was a bad college basketball player.  Not good for Marquette.

After scoring 23 points in 26 minutes the first game of the season, Steve Kerr gave Nick Young 11 minutes in game two.  How is that possible, unless Steve Kerr was trying to throw the Warriors' season?  It's obvious that Kerr is looking to get out of Golden State and take over the Bucks next season, while flipping off the Warriors front office by ruining the dynasty on his way out.  I mean, the guy played Nick Young 11 minutes after he lit up the Rockets!  There's no other possibility than he's intentionally tanking this season!

See how stupid that sounds?

Considering some of you (in our own fanbase) could not pick up on, and realize, that Buzz was mentally checked out his last year here - I'm sure the observers in Texas weren't keyed into the fact that he was off his game.  Nor, would they care, because the guy had 5-straight NCAA tourney appearances at MU - and since he was talking with them/other schools, clearly he wasn't all in at MU.

I got called a tin foil hat guy for asserting that Larry Williams comments to the Journal Sentinel regarding Buzz were awful, out of place, moronic, and not appreciated by Buzz.  The working relationship between Buzz and the admin after Cottingham was forced out deteriorated rapidly.

I stand by my opinion that Buzz chose to play the choir boy lineup on the team his last year, since Admin essentially said no more JUCO's, and raised admission standards above NCAA minimums.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
Considering some of you (in our own fanbase) could not pick up on, and realize, that Buzz was mentally checked out his last year here - I'm sure the observers in Texas weren't keyed into the fact that he was off his game.  Nor, would they care, because the guy had 5-straight NCAA tourney appearances at MU - and since he was talking with them/other schools, clearly he wasn't all in at MU.

I got called a tin foil hat guy for asserting that Larry Williams comments to the Journal Sentinel regarding Buzz were awful, out of place, moronic, and not appreciated by Buzz.  The working relationship between Buzz and the admin after Cottingham was forced out deteriorated rapidly.

I stand by my opinion that Buzz chose to play the choir boy lineup on the team his last year, since Admin essentially said no more JUCO's, and raised admission standards above NCAA minimums.

So you think Texas, or any coach, would be excited about the chance to hire a coach who was checked out and throwing the season?

That sure is interesting.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2018, 12:28:41 PM »
So you think Texas, or any coach, would be excited about the chance to hire a coach who was checked out and throwing the season?

That sure is interesting.

I can hear the pitch:

"Yes, Mr. President and board of trustees, it's a brilliant idea to give $3 million a year to a guy who intentionally tanked on his last season because the athletic director hurt his feels."

The fact one person here can maintain slavish devotion to Buzz while also believing he tanked an entire season is just bizarre.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:34:00 PM by Pakuni »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
I can hear the pitch:

"Yes, Mr. President and board of trustees, it's a brilliant idea to give $3 million a year to a guy who intentionally tanked on his last season because the athletic director hurt his feels."

The fact one person here can maintain slavish devotion to Buzz while also believing he tanked an entire season is just bizarre.

And it's odd that he said that Buzz played "the choir boy lineup."  Why weren't John Dawson or Deonte Burton "choir boys" in Ners' mind?  Neither were JUCOs.  Neither had academic issues.  Neither have ever been in any sort of legal trouble.

The pretzel logic is astounding. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2018, 12:53:34 PM »
Suggesting that any D-1 basketball coach would tank is both dumb and dangerous.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
I'm not trying to have it both ways. Of course Buzz was responsible. He's the head coach. But he had one recruiting class to solve the problem he inherited. Wojo has been at this a little longer.

Inherited or created?  I'll grant you the coaching change can be blamed for the departure of Taylor and Nick Williams.  One of them leaving actually brought the roster for the coming year back down to 13, and the other was quickly replaced by Jimmy Butler.

4 seniors (James, McNeal, Matthews, Burke)
3 juniors (Hayward, Cubillan, Acker)
5 Sophs (Christopherson, Butler, Fulce, Hazel, Mbakwe)
1 frosh (Otule)

Within a month of becoming coach, Christopherson left, and was quickly replaced by McMorrow, so the roster was still full, including nine players scheduled to be on the roster for his second year. 

And I don't understand how you can claim Buzz only had one year of recruiting before his second season.  He obviously had two recruiting classes.  First year was Otule, Fulce, Butler & McMorrow.  Second class included Roseboro, Buycks, Mbao, DjO, Erik Williams, and Maymon.

Look, if Buzz wanted to remake the roster, that's his right.  But saying that he inherited a depleted roster for his second year is incorrect.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »

And it's odd that he said that Buzz played "the choir boy lineup."  Why weren't John Dawson or Deonte Burton "choir boys" in Ners' mind?  Neither were JUCOs.  Neither had academic issues.  Neither have ever been in any sort of legal trouble.

The pretzel logic is astounding.

Your inability to ever see the forest through the trees is astounding.  ..

Buzz Williams has exactly 1 year on his head coaching resume where he greatly underperformed expectations.  It was his last year at Marquette. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:38:45 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2018, 02:02:09 PM »
Your inability to ever see the forest through the trees is astounding.

The trees are the forest.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2018, 02:10:04 PM »

Well, at least you acknowledge that it's only an opinion and not a fact. So congrats, Ners, we're making progress here!

Your inability to ever see the forest through the trees is astounding.  Then again, you are a small-minded, sheltered, limited world-view guy, who works in academia.

You resorting to name-calling when you're frustrated that other Scoopers don't share your opinion, that's not progress.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2018, 02:24:12 PM »
Your inability to ever see the forest through the trees is astounding.  Then again, you are a small-minded, sheltered, limited world-view guy, who works in academia.  Therefore, I shouldn't be astounded.

Is works in academia supposed to be an insult? Honest question.

Buzz Williams has exactly 1 year on his head coaching resume where he greatly underperformed expectations.  It was his last year at Marquette.

Has anyone said anything different? I think most here would agree that Buzz did great on the court 5/6 years he was here. All coaches have off years even the great ones.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 20, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »
Is works in academia supposed to be an insult? Honest question.

Has anyone said anything different? I think most here would agree that Buzz did great on the court 5/6 years he was here. All coaches have off years even the great ones.

Let's just say that working in academia is like working in the public sector - generally the best and brightest don't choose a career path where excellence is not rewarded.

Universities offer tenure and safe spaces.  It is next to impossible to get fired from a government job.  Just an entirely different world, and one radically different than the private sector (which is what actually innovates, creates, and funds the public sector - of which many universities are subsidized by.)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Let's just say that working in academia is like working in the public sector - generally the best and brightest don't choose a career path where excellence is not rewarded.

Universities offer tenure and safe spaces.  It is next to impossible to get fired from a government job.  Just an entirely different world, and one radically different than the private sector (which is what actually innovates, creates, and funds the public sector - of which many universities are subsidized by.)

Huh, I'm excellent at my job and I feel like I'm routinely rewarded. I have also fired several people for being bad at their government jobs. I don't work on the academic side of academia but I'm told they often do the research the informs the private sector.

Safe spaces is a term that doesn't actually mean what Breitbart says it means.

Tenure is stupid though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/MUCoachJohnson/status/987411182431678464

"Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire, and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame, and complain."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:04:55 PM by Lazar's Canadian Bacon Headband »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2018, 03:16:55 PM »

Said no more JUCO's like Jae, had to have a chance to graduate. Admission standards were already above NCAA's, NCAA rose standards and MU rose accordingly.
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2018, 03:17:32 PM »

::)
Goal is National Championship

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2018, 03:36:28 PM »

love that this comes from you...

off the top of my head...in the last few weeks...

visited a restaurant in new orleans a few weeks back...had the best oysters in the world.  manager told me the whole story of how the university of auburn figured out how to raise/farm them differently...thus saving an industry that the "private sector" had over harvested

talked a friend three days ago...a doctor...needs risky back surgery...said he's going no where but the uw hospital.

spoke with a friend two days ago...a doctor...worked at UVA for many years...developed a drug that recently got a patent.  laughed at how the laws allow the private sector to profit off the university's research...mentioned how hard it is not to take a job with a pharma. 

in conversation with my wife and another couple last night...talked about a few professors and teachers that made all the difference in how i view the world and live my life.

in that same conversation...with my friend...in investment banking...good guy...says he has a passion for his work...most in the profession choose it because it's a relatively easy way to make good money if you have an ivy degree. 

work in the public sector myself.  often get calls from the private sector for more $$$, but don't find the rewards to be as great as doing public service.  i don't think or act like i'm better than anyone, but i laugh every time i hear someone say what you just did because you simply don't get what a true reward is.   

and just to play politics...you would agree that the military is a gov't job...so you're saying those who put their life on the line for our country are not our best and brightest because they don't choose a career path that pays $$$.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:38:26 PM by avid1010 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »
Suggesting that any D-1 basketball coach would tank is both dumb and dangerous.
Bothering to respond is dumb.

Eating at Arby's is dangerous.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2018, 04:07:33 PM »

off the top of my head...in the last week...

visited a restaurant in new orleans a few weeks back...had the best oysters in the world.  manager told me the whole story of how the university of auburn figured out how to raise/farm them differently...thus saving an industry that the "private sector" had over harvested

talked a friend three days ago...a doctor...needs risky back surgery...said he's going no where but the uw hospital.

spoke with a friend two days ago...a doctor...worked at UVA for many years...developed a drug that recently got a patent.  laughed at how the laws allow the private sector to profit off the university's research...mentioned how hard it is not to take a job with a pharma. 

in conversation with my wife and another couple last night...talked about a few professors and teachers that made all the difference in how i view the world and live my life.

in that same conversation...with my friend...in investment banking...good guy...says he has a passion for his work...most in the profession choose it because it's a relatively easy way to make good money if you have an ivy degree. 

work in the public sector myself.  often get calls from the private sector for more $$$, but don't find the rewards to be as great as doing public service.  i don't think or act like i'm better than anyone, but i laugh every time i hear someone say what you just did because you simply don't get what a true reward is.   

and just to play politics...you would agree that the military is a gov't job...so you're saying those who put their life on the line for our country are not our best and brightest because they don't choose a career path that pays $$$.

Post of the day, maybe the week.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
Hey, just got back from a meeting.  We landed Chartouny AND I have tenure!!!

What a day!!!

source?

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »
Bothering to respond is dumb.

Eating at Arby's is dangerous.

Suggesting eating Arby's is dangerous is dumb and dangerous

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 20, 2018, 06:46:02 PM »

Nice post.  It's great that you enjoy your work.  What line of public service are you in?  What type of private sector companies/businesses are calling you for cash  - and the cash you have to dole out, where did that cash come from?

Does the public sector innovate anything?  Manufacture anything?  Subject to competition?

Now, the point made about those doing research in academia (in fields that actually help improve the human condition and nature), that is noble work no doubt.  And, it is paid for/subsidized by taxpayers - unless of course taking place at private universities.

Regarding your doctor friend, nothing is stopping him or other researchers from forming their own private company and slogging ahead on their own to get a patent and subsequently profit off of the patent.  But, what is stopping him, is the whole notion of having to fund his research and solicit funding for his research, and to build a business that is actually viable/sustainable.  Much easier to just do it under the umbrella of tax payer funded universities.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2018, 07:18:33 PM »

Thank you for this post.

feedback