[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take It To The Bank  (Read 60543 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Take It To The Bank
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »
The real killer was having both Derrick and Jake out there together. We could've lived with Derrick if we had a dynamic two that could shoot from outside and slash inside next to him. We could've lived with Jake if we had a savvy, playmaking point that found guys in position to score. But both of them together? It's amazing how close that team was to being a tourney team when you consider that backcourt.

Yep. Without Vander we were toast.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2018, 09:56:37 PM »
Looking at that team's stats is depressing.

Derrick made 1 three all season, shot 44% from the line, was left wide-open all year from 4 feet and out, and couldn't do a drive-and-dish if his life depended on it. Jake scored nine 2-pointers all season (shooting 26%) and had more personal fouls than assists, steals and offensive rebounds  combined.

And still, Buzz had so little confidence in their backups that Derrick and Jake were 1-2 on the team in minutes played.

Dawson's eFG% actually was worse than Derrick's. Mayo had a 6-game stretch in Feb in which he didn't make a single 3 while turning it over 3x a game. And so on and so on.

Frankly, after criticizing Buzz for his coaching that year, I look at that stuff and think it's a borderline miracle that we were 17-15.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2018, 10:07:48 PM »

Derrick made 1 three all season...

To be fair, he made a bunch of threes right as Buzz called a time out as he shot...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
To be fair, he made a bunch of threes right as Buzz called a time out as he shot...

And one .1 second after the clock ticked 0:00 against DePaul

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2018, 10:33:48 PM »

Derrick made 1 three all season, shot 44% from the line, was left wide-open all year from 4 feet and out, and couldn't do a drive-and-dish if his life depended on it. Jake scored nine 2-pointers all season (shooting 26%) and had more personal fouls than assists, steals and offensive rebounds  combined.

And still, Buzz had so little confidence in their backups that Derrick and Jake were 1-2 on the team in minutes played.

Dawson's eFG% actually was worse than Derrick's. Mayo had a 6-game stretch in Feb in which he didn't make a single 3 while turning it over 3x a game. And so on and so on.

Frankly, after criticizing Buzz for his coaching that year, I look at that stuff and think it's a borderline miracle that we were 17-15.

The amount of times I screamed at the tv as Davante got swarmed by 3 people in the paint as derrick sat at the top of the key and no one even gave him a glance.

God i hated him

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2018, 11:38:43 PM »
The amount of times I screamed at the tv as Davante got swarmed by 3 people in the paint as derrick sat at the top of the key and no one even gave him a glance.

God i hated him

I never hated Derrick.

It wasn't HIS fault he played all those minutes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2018, 04:57:20 AM »

God i hated him

🤔

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2018, 06:59:43 AM »

I was thinking the same thing last night while looking at that roster. Especially considering the two "stars" were Jamil Wilson, who didn't seem to find his assertiveness until he was 4 years out of school and Davante Gardner, who was a great scoring option but very one-dimensional.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
I was thinking the same thing last night while looking at that roster. Especially considering the two "stars" were Jamil Wilson, who didn't seem to find his assertiveness until he was 4 years out of school and Davante Gardner, who was a great scoring option but very one-dimensional.

With Blue & McKay on that squad, JWilson & Gardner would have thrived and it would have been another BEast contender/tourney run.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
Isn't it a true statement?

Mo
Cooby
Dwight  NBA contract     http://www.nba.com/players/dwight/buycks/202779
DJO      NBA contract     https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsda03.html
Jimmy  NBA contract     http://www.nba.com/players/jimmy/butler/202710
Lazar    NBA contract     https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/haywala01.html
Fulce

That's four, right?

I was laughing at Ners' casual omission of this fact.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2018, 08:18:35 AM »
With Blue & McKay on that squad, JWilson & Gardner would have thrived and it would have been another BEast contender/tourney run.

And a healthy Duane.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2018, 08:44:54 AM »
'Hating' a player on your own team.     Why?    Did he ever give less than his best effort?    Did he embarrass the school?    He couldn't shoot.       Give him average shooting ability  and he was everything you could want in a PG.     Smart kid.    Leader.   The kind of guy you would want dating your daughter.     Bad shooter.     Not worth hating. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »

And a healthy Duane.

This too, agreed

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »
'Hating' a player on your own team.     Why?    Did he ever give less than his best effort?    Did he embarrass the school?    He couldn't shoot.       Give him average shooting ability  and he was everything you could want in a PG.     Smart kid.    Leader.   The kind of guy you would want dating your daughter.     Bad shooter.     Not worth hating.

+1000. From everything I've heard Derrick was one of the finest young men to have worn Warrior blue and gold.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »

Agree with almost every word of this.

He couldn't create for others, either, which is something I want in a PG. And of course, I'd have liked him to be 6-3 or taller.

But those are nits. "Hating" Derrick is stoopid.

I'm disappointed Buzz didn't have a better option. 100% on Buzz.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »

2014 was the year I had pencilled in for a potential Final Four. Just like 2009 before James' injury and 2020.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
That fact that it is not true. Buzz was working his ass off to squeeze as much as he could out of that last roster so he could be in the best position possible for when he job searched.

So you think that the Va Tech gig (with Buzz negotiating his own contract all materialized in 3 days?).  Pretty confident those talks were ongoing over the whole season.  Buzz and Cronin tight.  Cronin tight with AD at Va Tech.  Buzz wanted out/BOT nudging him out.

Ever wonder why Buzz pulled Burton in Big East tourney game against Xavier, when he was torching them (with 7 minutes left) and didn't put him back in game till 30 second mark?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
So you think that the Va Tech gig (with Buzz negotiating his own contract all materialized in 3 days?).  Pretty confident those talks were ongoing over the whole season.  Buzz and Cronin tight.  Cronin tight with AD at Va Tech.  Buzz wanted out/BOT nudging him out.

Ever wonder why Buzz pulled Burton in Big East tourney game against Xavier, when he was torching them (with 7 minutes left) and didn't put him back in game till 30 second mark?

I bet you know who really killed JFK too.  You seem to have all the answers.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »
It is amusing to read the naive and simple, feeble-minded takes of my favorite posters here.

Wades:  You really think Buzz had to prove himself in an interview coming off 5 straight NCAA's and a Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8? 

Anyone really believe Buzz couldn't see playing Jake Thomas and Derrick Wilson 30+ together was a train wreck?

People really think Buzz was giving it his all as a coach his last season, when he vastly underperformed expectations for the first time in his career, said he was playing 4 on 5, and chose to play that way all year?

How do you explain Buzz playing Dawson 8 minutes the game after he got his one chance to play 30+ at G'Town and played a key role in helping us win on the road?

Buzz wanted out.  Buzz has pride.  Buzz certainly isn't above being a spiteful/prideful person.  He felt sold out by MU BOT and his parting gift was a big F You on the way out the door.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »

I actually do think about this way too often

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »
If Buzz intentionally threw away games out of spite, why would anyone still want him at Marquette?  That would mean he has no integrity and doesn't really care for the team he is entrusted to oversee.  I would question the intelligence and ethics of anyone who thinks he should be the coach of their favorite team if they honestly believed he acted in such a manner.

I don't think he based his decisions on anything but what he thought was best for the basketball team.  He has way too much integrity to purposely throw games.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2018, 02:25:13 PM »

No. I'm sure there were conversations ongoing. Do you really think that Virginia Tech was where Buzz wanted to end up?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
It is amusing to read the naive and simple, feeble-minded takes of my favorite posters here.

Wades:  You really think Buzz had to prove himself in an interview coming off 5 straight NCAA's and a Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8? 

Anyone really believe Buzz couldn't see playing Jake Thomas and Derrick Wilson 30+ together was a train wreck?

People really think Buzz was giving it his all as a coach his last season, when he vastly underperformed expectations for the first time in his career, said he was playing 4 on 5, and chose to play that way all year?

How do you explain Buzz playing Dawson 8 minutes the game after he got his one chance to play 30+ at G'Town and played a key role in helping us win on the road?

Buzz wanted out.  Buzz has pride.  Buzz certainly isn't above being a spiteful/prideful person.  He felt sold out by MU BOT and his parting gift was a big F You on the way out the door.

Wow.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2018, 03:11:10 PM »

Going into that season it was possible that the Texas job might open up after that season.  You think the oil and tech money down in Texas, Buzz's home, would be super excited about adding a coach who intentionally threw a season away and/or that Buzz had no interest whatsoever in the possibility of coaching at Texas?  You really think Buzz was just dying to end up in Blacksburg, VA?  Well, if that's the case then you certainly are smarter than everyone here like you pretend to be Ners, because that is flat out insanity.

I think John Dawson only played 8 minutes the game after he got hot because, even though he was obviously a better player than Andrew Rowsey (lol!), he wasn't a very good basketball player.  He was a freshman guard shooting 32% from the field, 27% from 3, turning the ball over nearly as much as he was assisting it, and bringing basically absolutely nothing.  He got hot for one game, good for him.  He was a bad college basketball player.  Not good for Marquette.

After scoring 23 points in 26 minutes the first game of the season, Steve Kerr gave Nick Young 11 minutes in game two.  How is that possible, unless Steve Kerr was trying to throw the Warriors' season?  It's obvious that Kerr is looking to get out of Golden State and take over the Bucks next season, while flipping off the Warriors front office by ruining the dynasty on his way out.  I mean, the guy played Nick Young 11 minutes after he lit up the Rockets!  There's no other possibility than he's intentionally tanking this season!

See how stupid that sounds?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:15:28 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter