[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take It To The Bank  (Read 60532 times)

Floorslapper

• All American
Re: Take It To The Bank
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2018, 12:34:23 PM »
Except our zone was worse. Our defense wasn’t good no matter what we played. So the only option was to outscore opponents. Which meant gun, gun, gun. Suggesting otherwise would be DUMB.

I guess you ignored the first two years under Wojo when he slowed the pace down. He’s adjusted based on his personnel. To suggest he doesn’t is DUMB.

Actually our tempo increased in Year 2 and 3 over Year 1..and slowed slightly this year.  But.  Not nearly slow enough with our brutal defense.

And sorry, but the zone was never given proper application.  Repetition and exclusivity matter - in basically any application in life.  And, of course you need proper personnel, as in Jamal Cain playing 30 minutes in your zone.

Help me understand your continued bullish stance on Wojo?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »

Actually our tempo increased in Year 2 and 3 over Year 1..and slowed slightly this year.  But.  Not nearly slow enough with our brutal defense.

And sorry, but the zone was never given proper application.  Repetition and exclusivity matter - in basically any application in life.  And, of course you need proper personnel, as in Jamal Cain playing 30 minutes in your zone.

Help me understand your continued bullish stance on Wojo?

Jamal can't play 5 positions at once, if we need proper personnel, which we do, then not having the proper personnel last year is reason enough not to run zone.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
Ahh...sorry dude.  But, I was completely right about Buzz.  Said early on in his last year that he wasn't "right."  Clearly wasn't coaching at his optimum.  To no surprise he left 4 days after the season ended.  Couldn't get out of town fast enough.  No love lost toward MU Admin and BOT.  Messed with his happy, and he was really happy at MU through 4 years.  Gave them a big F-You on the way out the door his last year.

As I said, you contend that Wojo can never be close to as good a coach as Buzz ... but Buzz himself wasn't as good a coach as Buzz.

Why don't you tell us again that Rowsey will never be able to carry Magic Dawson's jockstrap?

Dude.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »
Agree that Wojo isn't as good of an in game coach as Buzz, but he has shown improvement, which I think is very important.  His first year here, a lot of the time the offense was whatever Carlino or Duane could get by themselves.  Same his second year with Henry.

The fact that he is riding the hot hand more, shows his development in this area. Riding Sacar against CU, then coming back the next game and running multiple set plays for Sacar.  Still too much hero ball with AR and MH this year, but significantly less than we had when Carlino was here.  If Wojo continues to improve his in game adjustment (he's behind Buzz, but ahead of Crean IMO), he could become an above average in game coach in a coupe of seasons.
Wojo's first year might of been his best coaching year. Winning 13 games with that talent seems to me to be more impressive than winning 21 games with this year's talent.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2018, 02:02:07 PM »

And Wojo thought that Markus would be his point guard.
Not as bad as thinking Cheatham was.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
Wojo's first year might of been his best coaching year. Winning 13 games with that talent seems to me to be more impressive than winning 21 games with this year's talent.

I don't know about that.  Two separate 6 game losing streaks, and a terrible loss to Omaha.  A lot of those wins were from extra bad cupcakes.  Wojo got all he could out of those guys, but the highlight of that year was getting a commit from Henry.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2018, 02:43:50 PM »
Not as bad as thinking Cheatham was.

Ding. Ding. Ding. One of several decisions that formed my early opinion that he wasn’t going to be a good coach.  Playing Deonte Burton 15 minutes per game being another.  Derrick Wilson 35 a game with Carlino and Duane on the roster another.   Results speak for themselves so far..no NCAA tourney wins.

As we all know, Year 5 will be hugely important to Wojo. Big East will be down. Gotta guide this team to an NCAA bid at minimum to show some progress.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »
As I said, you contend that Wojo can never be close to as good a coach as Buzz ... but Buzz himself wasn't as good a coach as Buzz.

Why don't you tell us again that Rowsey will never be able to carry Magic Dawson's jockstrap?

Dude.

What part of Buzz not giving an F his last year do you not understand?

And yet again another proactive Dawson mention. Also said in that post that size matters in Big East and Dawson was physically far beyond Rowsey - but then all you Wojo apologists used the we were undersized excuse all year long. Who’s fault is that?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2018, 02:58:11 PM »

And yet again another proactive Dawson mention. Also said in that post that size matters in Big East and Dawson was physically far beyond Rowsey - but then all you Wojo apologists used the we were undersized excuse all year long. Who’s fault is that?

Sure, have it both ways.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2018, 03:41:51 PM »

That fact that it is not true. Buzz was working his ass off to squeeze as much as he could out of that last roster so he could be in the best position possible for when he job searched.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2018, 03:45:42 PM »
That fact that it is not true. Buzz was working his ass off to squeeze as much as he could out of that last roster so he could be in the best position possible for when he job searched.

Also just because someone may not be motivated to coach well, they still are ultimately responsible for their coaching.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2018, 03:47:50 PM »

Yup.  Anyone who actually thinks that a coach would just throw the season out of spite because he could no longer get any and every little thing he asked the administration for has no clue what they are talking about.  That would be a heck of a way to introduce himself during job interviews.  AD: "So Buzz, you got the most out of your teams the first five seasons at Marquette.  Your last team had more talent than your record suggests.  What happened that last year?"  Buzz: "Well, future boss of mine, I didn't try to coach that team up at all because Marquette was no longer accommodating my every wish.  If I wanted to have more success I would have, but I was checked the eff out."  AD: "Wow, that's really impressive stuff!  Would you please start writing up the contract you would like from us and we'll simply sign on the dotted line when you're ready."

Hilarious that people actually buy into that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2018, 04:09:32 PM »
Ners thinks Buzz tried to tank in 2013-14.

Maybe that's the way Ners did it as a high school basketball player - after averaging 50 ppg as a junior, he went down to a mere 40 ppg as a senior - but it's not the way college coaches do things in the real world.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »
Ahh...sorry dude.  But, I was completely right about Buzz.  Said early on in his last year that he wasn't "right."  Clearly wasn't coaching at his optimum.  To no surprise he left 4 days after the season ended.  Couldn't get out of town fast enough.  No love lost toward MU Admin and BOT.  Messed with his happy, and he was really happy at MU through 4 years.  Gave them a big F-You on the way out the door his last year.

I loved Buzz from the drop, and said 10 games in he would be our best coach since Al.  Sultan scoffed at my post at that time saying if Buzz stayed at MU for 10 years he'd lead us to Final Four/consistent Sweet 16/Elite 8 appearances.

"Listen, when I was right, I was right. And when I was wrong, I was right. And when there's definitive proof I was wrong, I was still somehow right. And when everyone can see beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was completely wrong, I'll shift the goalposts. So basically...I was right."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2018, 04:18:32 PM »
Yup.  Anyone who actually thinks that a coach would just throw the season out of spite because he could no longer get any and every little thing he asked the administration for has no clue what they are talking about.  That would be a heck of a way to introduce himself during job interviews.  AD: "So Buzz, you got the most out of your teams the first five seasons at Marquette.  Your last team had more talent than your record suggests.  What happened that last year?"  Buzz: "Well, future boss of mine, I didn't try to coach that team up at all because Marquette was no longer accommodating my every wish.  If I wanted to have more success I would have, but I was checked the eff out."  AD: "Wow, that's really impressive stuff!  Would you please start writing up the contract you would like from us and we'll simply sign on the dotted line when you're ready."

Hilarious that people actually buy into that.

I don't think Buzz intentionally tanked his last season at MU, but I believe there are ways one can tank a season without intending it.
What we can say is that team, unlike Buzz's prior teams, underachieved and played uninspired hoops for large stretches of that season. They often looked lost and confused on the court. And they showed little fight when they fell behind against quality opponents (see: blowout losses to Ohio State and Creighton). Before that season, Buzz had a 7-2 record in OT games. That year, they were 2-4.
Did Buzz set out to lose games that season? No chance.
Did Buzz coach and prepare his players with the same passion and intensity as he had in previous years? I suspect not.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2018, 04:19:35 PM »
I ain’t always right but I’ve never been wrong. Seldom turns out the way it does in the song
Bring back FFP!!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »
You're trying to have it both ways, Lenny.
You can't laud Buzz for his work with an undersized team, but not hold him responsible for building an undersized team.

I'm not trying to have it both ways. Of course Buzz was responsible. He's the head coach. But he had one recruiting class to solve the problem he inherited. Wojo has been at this a little longer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2018, 07:53:26 PM »
I don't think Buzz intentionally tanked his last season at MU, but I believe there are ways one can tank a season without intending it.
What we can say is that team, unlike Buzz's prior teams, underachieved and played uninspired hoops for large stretches of that season. They often looked lost and confused on the court. And they showed little fight when they fell behind against quality opponents (see: blowout losses to Ohio State and Creighton). Before that season, Buzz had a 7-2 record in OT games. That year, they were 2-4.
Did Buzz coach and prepare his players with the same passion and intensity as he had in previous years? I suspect not.

Buzz got surprised by Vander leaving and he didn't recruit well enough for that season, so he stuck himself with the worst starting backcourt in modern Marquette history.

K, Roy, Wright, Stevens, Shaka, Wojo ... the coach wouldn't have mattered ... you can't win with that backcourt.

Plus, Buzz lost McKay, who would have been an important player. (Wouldn't have solved the guard problem, though.)

We still had an outside chance at the NCAAs but we lost our last 3 regular-season games - including the last two each by 1 point in double-OT.

Losing by 1 in double-OT ... it's hard to say anybody (including the coach) remotely tanked anything (and you don't say differently, Pakuni).

Great teams - even good ones - rely upon their guards at nut-crunching time. Think how many times Vander (and even Junior) bailed us out the season before. That team did not have the option of getting great play from its guards at nut-crunching times. Most games, we would have settled for slightly-sub-mediocre and couldn't even get that.

It's easy to look lost and confused in that situation.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2018, 07:56:37 PM »
Buzz got surprised by Vander leaving and he didn't recruit well enough for that season, so he stuck himself with the worst starting backcourt in modern Marquette history.

K, Roy, Wright, Stevens, Shaka, Wojo ... the coach wouldn't have mattered ... you can't win with that backcourt.

Plus, Buzz lost McKay, who would have been an important player. (Wouldn't have solved the guard problem, though.)

We still had an outside chance at the NCAAs but we lost our last 3 regular-season games - including the last two each by 1 point in double-OT.

Losing by 1 in double-OT ... it's hard to say anybody (including the coach) remotely tanked anything (and you don't say differently, Pakuni).

Great teams - even good ones - rely upon their guards at nut-crunching time. Think how many times Vander (and even Junior) bailed us out the season before. That team did not have the option of getting great play from its guards at nut-crunching times. Most games, we would have settled for slightly-sub-mediocre and couldn't even get that.

Also remember Duane got injured leaving us without even a solid freshman to spell Derrick
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2018, 08:15:22 PM »
Also remember Duane got injured leaving us without even a solid freshman to spell Derrick

Yea but I thought the rumour was Duane was ready to go by Christmas and it was Buzz' call for him to sit out the rest of the season, not Duane's or the doctors.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2018, 08:24:58 PM »
Yea but I thought the rumour was Duane was ready to go by Christmas and it was Buzz' call for him to sit out the rest of the season, not Duane's or the doctors.

Hahaha
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »

100% agree.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »

The real killer was having both Derrick and Jake out there together. We could've lived with Derrick if we had a dynamic two that could shoot from outside and slash inside next to him. We could've lived with Jake if we had a savvy, playmaking point that found guys in position to score. But both of them together? It's amazing how close that team was to being a tourney team when you consider that backcourt.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »

True

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2018, 08:43:24 PM »
Basketball is a guards game and a team with Thomas and Wilson was not going to be great.