collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jason Collins  (Read 34448 times)

tower912

• All American
Jason Collins
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
My hat is tipped to him having the courage to be the first.   Best of luck, sir.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Jason Collins
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »
Marginal player on his way out of the league trying to insulate himself from being cut.  Now the Wizards are forced to keep him as they are homophobic if they release him.

To keep a job that will pay you hundred of thousands would you too proclaim you're gay to make it politically impossible to release (fire) you?  I'll bet a lot of people would.

Wait until multiple (marginal) players in the NFL come out and they too cannot be cut and it affects a GM's ability to fields the team he wants and cost them games.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 01:17:39 PM »
Marginal player on his way out of the league trying to insulate himself from being cut.  Now the Wizards are forced to keep him as they are homophobic if they release him.

To keep a job that will pay you hundred of thousands would you too proclaim you're gay to make it politically impossible to release (fire) you?  I'll bet a lot of people would.

Wait until multiple (marginal) players in the NFL come out and they too cannot be cut and it affects a GM's ability to fields the team he wants and cost them games.

Ridiculous post.

Collins has a degree from Stanford and has made over $30 million in the NBA. You really think he wants to put up with all that will come his way for just a couple hundred thousand dollars on another contract?

Also, you think an NFL GM is going to keep a player that costs his team games (and in turn costs the GM his job!) in order to avoid a not-so-bad PR hit?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 01:19:17 PM by MerrittsMustache »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »
Kudos to Jason for being first. Regardless of your beliefs on the issue, it's impossible not to commend him for his bravery.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »

Besides the reasons MerritsMustache gives, Collins is a free agent. The Wizards don't have to release/fire him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
Besides the reasons MerritsMustache gives, Collins is a free agent. The Wizards don't have to release/fire him.

Even better ... so if no one signs him the entire league is homophobic.  Now the Wizards will come under tremendous pressure to pay an unproductive player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
Being the first in anything is difficult and requires courage. I don't think he did it for a paycheck - if anything, his decision was made easier because he's at or near the end and his money is already in the bank.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »
Doesn't he have twin brother?

Edit: disregard, he does.  ESPN just said brother had no clue.  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:09:19 PM by nyg »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »

I was raised in Jersey. I'm on top of the demographic food chain. I consider myself cynical at best. That said, this may be the C U N T-iest post I've read in some time.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »
I think Another could have been more artful in how he wrote that.  However, would it surprise anyone either if that card is played when a player is cut in the future?  I've seen it played in my industry several times when someone has been terminated.  It is what it is, people will play on to certain agendas.  Read the latest article about the new cabinet position in the administration as a prime example.....identity politics is a reality and sometimes people will use it for advantage, both financial and political. That should surprise no one, been going on for decades.  Unfortunate, but that is the deal.

I look forward to a day when we stop with classifying people in silos and protected classes....but politically people don't want that stuff to go away (too much for them to gain by it) so it will be around long after I am gone from this blue marble.  Kudos to Mr. Collins.  Sports is one of the last bastions for this....I cover both entertainment and sports industry which is why this is of interest to me.  On the entertainment front, (HBO, Showtime, A&E, AMC, etc, etc) this is a big yawn as people have been out for a long time, very open about it.  My dealings with the sports properties, obviously a different story because of the "locker room effect" and the stigma that is out there.   I look forward to the day when it's all a collective yawn....judging people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin, sexual orientation, gender, etc....but as long as we keep identifying people in silos or protected classes, it will perpetuate itself, for both good and bad reasons.   

Kudos MLK. Kudos Jackie Robinson.  Etc

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
I think Another could have been more artful in how he wrote that.  However, would it surprise anyone either if that card is played when a player is cut in the future?  I've seen it played in my industry several times when someone has been terminated.  It is what it is, people will play on to certain agendas.  Read the latest article about the new cabinet position in the administration as a prime example.....identity politics is a reality and sometimes people will use it for advantage, both financial and political. That should surprise no one, been going on for decades.  Unfortunate, but that is the deal.

I look forward to a day when we stop with classifying people in silos and protected classes....but politically people don't want that stuff to go away (too much for them to gain by it) so it will be around long after I am gone from this blue marble.  Kudos to Mr. Collins.  Sports is one of the last bastions for this....I cover both entertainment and sports industry which is why this is of interest to me.  On the entertainment front, (HBO, Showtime, A&E, AMC, etc, etc) this is a big yawn as people have been out for a long time, very open about it.  My dealings with the sports properties, obviously a different story because of the "locker room effect" and the stigma that is out there.   I look forward to the day when it's all a collective yawn....judging people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin, sexual orientation, gender, etc....but as long as we keep identifying people in silos or protected classes, it will perpetuate itself, for both good and bad reasons.   

Kudos MLK. Kudos Jackie Robinson.  Etc

+1

I've seen it all the time, marginal employees claim they are some protected class or minority and sue or imply discrimination.  Certainly this idea has reached New Jersey Golden.

Let's not mistake Jason Collins with Jackie Robinson.  Let's wait until a major superstar comes out of the closet.  Not guys at the end of the their career or marginal players.

Frankly I could care less about this issue, they are paid to do a job so shut up and do it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »
Until we all look and behave like Waldo, there'll be bigotry and hate.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »
I think Another could have been more artful in how he wrote that.  However, would it surprise anyone either if that card is played when a player is cut in the future?  I've seen it played in my industry several times when someone has been terminated.  It is what it is, people will play on to certain agendas.  Read the latest article about the new cabinet position in the administration as a prime example.....identity politics is a reality and sometimes people will use it for advantage, both financial and political. That should surprise no one, been going on for decades.  Unfortunate, but that is the deal.

I look forward to a day when we stop with classifying people in silos and protected classes....but politically people don't want that stuff to go away (too much for them to gain by it) so it will be around long after I am gone from this blue marble.  Kudos to Mr. Collins.  Sports is one of the last bastions for this....I cover both entertainment and sports industry which is why this is of interest to me.  On the entertainment front, (HBO, Showtime, A&E, AMC, etc, etc) this is a big yawn as people have been out for a long time, very open about it.  My dealings with the sports properties, obviously a different story because of the "locker room effect" and the stigma that is out there.   I look forward to the day when it's all a collective yawn....judging people by the content of their character and not the color of their skin, sexual orientation, gender, etc....but as long as we keep identifying people in silos or protected classes, it will perpetuate itself, for both good and bad reasons.    

Kudos MLK. Kudos Jackie Robinson.  Etc

The obvious difference between a pro athlete claiming to have been terminated unfairly and an everyday worker claiming to have been terminated unfairly is that the athlete's production/value is right out there for all the see. If a shortstop hitting .200 with 25 errors is released and claims it's because he's gay, people will mock his claim. If the equivalent of a .200-hitting infielder gets fired from his job as an accountant and claims it's because he's gay, people will fight for him.

Also, the so-called "locker room effect" is not as big of a deal as many people believe. For the most part, athletes don't care if a teammate is straight, gay, bi, whatever. As long as he shows up, works hard and does his job, his teammates could care less about his personal life.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
The obvious difference between a pro athlete claiming to have been terminated unfairly and an everyday worker claiming to have been terminated unfairly is that the athlete's production/value is right out there for all the see. If a shortstop hitting .200 with 25 errors is released and claims it's because he's gay, people will mock his claim. If the equivalent of a .200-hitting infielder gets fired from his job as an accountant and claims it's because he's gay, people will fight for him.

Also, the so-called "locker room effect" is not as big of a deal as many people believe. For the most part, athletes don't care if a teammate is straight, gay, bi, whatever. As long as he shows up, works hard and does his job, his teammates could care less about his personal life.  

I think for some people, the locker room effect is pretty damn big.  For others, not a big issue.

On the other aspect you mentioned, I think it really comes down to a comparison.  Like anything, people will make comparisons...why is such and such .225 SS signed this year but this guy over here at .240 wasn't...oh and he happens to be gay.  It will be interesting to watch those arguments, but it will creep into the conversation.  It is unavoidable....unfortunately.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 02:59:19 PM »

Would you personally proclaim you are gay to gain $500,000 if you already have made 30million?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »
Would you personally proclaim you are gay to gain $500,000 if you already have made 30million?

My guess is Mr. Collins will financially benefit over this announcement as some companies will trip over themselves to show how inclusive and diverse they are.  Just a hunch, but I say he comes out making a ton of money out of this.  I'm sure that was not his intention, but will be a byproduct of it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »
He may end up making more money, but anyone who thinks he did this to make his life easier is nuts.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
He may end up making more money, but anyone who thinks he did this to make his life easier is nuts.

Don't think anyone is saying that

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »

Not easier, but don't think there isn't a big list of 'PROs' to go along with the obvious 'CONs'.

When ZFB came out he just got a "we already knew, dude." Collins will be celebrated by many... for his sexual preference. Which is strange, but whatever...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »

Then Why is Jason Collins still playing?  If he has enough money as you proclaim, why not retire and be a spokesperson for LBGT groups?

I'm guessing he still wants to play and a big reason is the paycheck.  Besides see the 30 for 30 titled "broke."  Yes Collins is a Stanford grad but if he is like most of the other players in the NBA, most of that $30 million is now gone.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 03:43:06 PM »
Not easier, but don't think there isn't a big list of 'PROs' to go along with the obvious 'CONs'.

When ZFB came out he just got a "we already knew, dude." Collins will be celebrated by many... for his sexual preference. Which is strange, but whatever...

The reason he will be celebrated is because people (probably many here and at our alma mater) are against anything involving his sexual preference and judge him for it.  Just the way a big part of our society is today.

Also, to go along with some of the discussion already: http://deadspin.com/why-does-it-matter-if-jason-collins-is-a-bad-pro-bask-484587396

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 03:53:12 PM »
Then Why is Jason Collins still playing?  If he has enough money as you proclaim, why not retire and be a spokesperson for LBGT groups?

I'm guessing he still wants to play and a big reason is the paycheck.  Besides see the 30 for 30 titled "broke."  Yes Collins is a Stanford grad but if he is like most of the other players in the NBA, most of that $30 million is now gone.

If the guy loves playing basketball, then he probably still wants to play professionally. Same as with Kobe, or KG, or Nash, etc, right?

The question still stands, would you, MU84, personally announce you're gay in Sport Illustrated so you could collect 1/60 of your career earnings for 1 additional year of work?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »
Big yawn but I wonder what his twin brother thinks about his coming out

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
If the guy loves playing basketball, then he probably still wants to play professionally. Same as with Kobe, or KG, or Nash, etc, right?

The question still stands, would you, MU84, personally announce you're gay in Sport Illustrated so you could collect 1/60 of your career earnings for 1 additional year of work?

The answer is, if the price is right anybody/everybody would do it.  I would say the same applies for me.  Pay me my price and I'm sure I will SAY I'm gay to collect some bucks.

The problem is their is no way to "prove" you're gay (I should say no way is going to "force" you to "show" that your gay).  Just saying it is good enough.

This was a real debating point in the recent gay marriage debate.  Can business partners "marry" as a tax dodge?  Would they do it?  Again, if the price is right sure.  How do they prove they are gay?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »

a) if he's like most NBA players, then he's...

b) if he's like most marginal professional professional athletes, the he's...

In truth, you don't know this person at all.  Really, just listen to yourself.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.