collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Would you attend Marquette again?  (Read 31632 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Would you attend Marquette again?
« Reply #150 on: August 24, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
If I were to choose again I would have gone with Boston College. Boston is very similar to MKE but the pace and city see more alive than MKE. The oppourtunities on the East Coast seem to have more upside than the midwest. The only major city that MKE is close to is Chicago. While Boston is within a days trip of NYC, Philly, and DC.

But their college bkb team sucks balls!

I visited the campus. Sweet. Love the hill. FB field was sweet too.
SS Marquette

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2011, 02:28:26 AM »
MUBurrow...I don't know what you mean.  Marquette is a "smallish liberal arts college?"  It is neither small, nor is it a liberal arts college.

touche and corrected. thats what i get for having a discussion on a topic IRL, simultaneous to writing on a message board. off the top of my head i would think the smallish thing stands up, then again I could easily be proven wrong compared to other private schools. majority of my post, beyond the shudder worthy mischaracterization of my own alma mater, stands though.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »
I think that there's an important distinction between Marquette being a middle of the road school and Marquette being in a middle of the road city. I love Milwaukee/the Midwest. That being said, Marquette is as good a school to go to as any. The Marquette Mafia is alive and well, connections to the Midwest are probably as good as/better than any non-B10 school, and maybe better considering that the small MU community causes alums to look out for their own more than huge public schools. 

That being said, I'm not sure what people that want to end up in NY, LA, DC, etc were expecting when they signed up for MU.  Of course a smallish liberal arts college (see later post - I'm a dumbass) a regionally respected school in MKE isn't going to translate directly to NYC lofts and investment banking jobs.  Nor is it going to (normally) cause doors to swing open in the entertainment industry in LA. But if you're a midwestern kid with a plan and desire to stay in the Midwest, I think MU is as good a choice as any and a better choice than most.

Have you left the midwest?  Every time I've interviewed on the East or West coast they've been impressed with my university.  Internationally, Marquette hasn't made a name for itself (when I was interviewing in London), but that's the case for most universities outside of the ivy league schools.

It may not open up entertainment industry jobs in LA, but if you went to school at MU for that then you're an idiot.  Investment banking jobs in NY?  I didn't know that MU had a Finance program until I just looked it up.

Marquette, like any other university, has its standout colleges and its up-and-coming colleges.  Perhaps you should have looked closer at MU's engineering program before you graduated with a degree from a lesser college and couldn't find yourself a job?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »
It may not open up entertainment industry jobs in LA, but if you went to school at MU for that then you're an idiot.  Investment banking jobs in NY?  I didn't know that MU had a Finance program until I just looked it up.

Then you're going to hate the fact that a select group of finance majors manage a small portion of MU's endowment, for credit no less.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
Then you're going to hate the fact that a select group of finance majors manage a small portion of MU's endowment, for credit no less.

Whada ya expect from a Liberal Arts major.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »

Is that why our endowment sucks?  Or is that just a fringe benefit?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2011, 01:17:31 PM »
Our endowment is much better than it used to be.  Traditionally, Catholic schools were "late-comers" to endowment.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »
Is that why our endowment sucks?  Or is that just a fringe benefit?

AIM (Applied Investment Management) program is receiving high marks in the Milwaukee investment world, and kids are getting noticed in NY and Chicago.  A few kids are working on Wall Street.  Dr. Krause is doing a great job building the program.  Only started in 2005 (??)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
AIM (Applied Investment Management) program is receiving high marks in the Milwaukee investment world, and kids are getting noticed in NY and Chicago.  A few kids are working on Wall Street.  Dr. Krause is doing a great job building the program.  Only started in 2005 (??)

Good to hear!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »

AIM isn't new at the graduate/post-grad level, but MU is one of the pioneers for having AIM at the undergrad level.  Not only are the kids getting noticed in NY and Chicago, but the undergrad program is being noticed (and emulated) by other universities... some of which have already been mentioned in this thread as some Scoopers' "woulda-shouldas."

Next time you want to imply national irrelevance in a program at MU - you might want to choose something other than finance.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »
Or how about don't bad mouth MU at all considering most of us went there and are very proud of it. If you have a negative thought keep it to yourself
Bring back FFP!!!

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2011, 03:42:28 PM »
Why cant we all just be friends

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
Or how about don't bad mouth MU at all considering most of us went there and are very proud of it. If you have a negative thought keep it to yourself

(deleted cuz ya'll make me feel bad about being a jerk)

seriously though, thats great to hear about the Finance department really starting to get some legs.  That kind of momentum should help with a new building too, Straz Business just isn't going to cut it when MUs business program really starts contending with higher level graduate programs.

Ditto good to hear about the engineering dept evidently exporting well. I'm curious though (particularly to Skat) if those positive experiences regarding interviews on the coasts include having some job experience, etc. I think the true sign of how a degree travels is for those students who are newly out and don't have any work experience, etc. By the time you've been out awhile and other more recent experience has filled your resume, your school becomes far less important.  
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:13:55 PM by MUBurrow »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
Sorry... that might have been a little harsh.  I don't think anyone here is "badmouthing" MU --- when fellow alums take shots at the 3rd floor of Straz Hall I just get the urge to fire back.  I know, it's all in fun.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #164 on: August 25, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
You are right about Stratz. UW, UWM and UW-Whitewater all have better business buildings...and those are just the ones in state.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
Our endowment is much better than it used to be.  Traditionally, Catholic schools were "late-comers" to endowment.

Endowment does suck and Georgetown, BC, and Notre Dame are doin' just fine.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2011, 06:35:51 PM »

Open the checkbook, Whatley.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2011, 07:11:26 PM »

They are late-comers, but that doesn't mean that others have done a better job at raising it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
Open the checkbook, Whatley.

Ah..............can to compare?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »

Ah..............can to compare?

Jay Bee told me you only do comparisons at the urinal.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
BJ only heads into the door marked, "women."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:11:20 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »
I only heads into the door marked, "women."

Then that's why Jay Bee is such an expert.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »
I'm curious though (particularly to Skat) if those positive experiences regarding interviews on the coasts include having some job experience, etc. I think the true sign of how a degree travels is for those students who are newly out and don't have any work experience, etc. By the time you've been out awhile and other more recent experience has filled your resume, your school becomes far less important. 

I'm definitely getting interviews and hired because of my experience, that will be the case for any position I'm applying for (in that 8-10+ years of experience category).

That being said, it's rare when MU doesn't come up in an interview.  The farther away from MU you are the discussion definitely leans towards basketball and DWade, but after that they say "MU is a tough school, isn't it?"

Coming out of school, though, I got jobs with my degree in Computer Engineering based solely on the back of Marquette's reputation.  I, sadly, didn't have an internship and I didn't participate in the co-op program so I had a very weak resume.  I had no problems getting gigs in Chicago (obviously), Phoenix and Irvine, CA.  I do interview very well, though :)

feedback