Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Thought About McMorrow  (Read 3555 times)

4thAndState

• Starter
A Thought About McMorrow
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »
We all heard he is a raw talent. Given Mbakwe's departure does the coaching staff relook at his red shirt status for 08-09? If he progresses well enough in early season workouts, is there a possibility that he passes on the year off and plays? He could be that 4 reb, 4 pt guy that picks up at least some of TM's slack. I'm not saying this would be a wise move, regardless of his progress, but throwing it open for discussion. At least it could be a partial solution to a gap in the front court.

reinko

• All American
Re: A Thought About McMorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:50:39 AM »
Would MU still have a scholarship open for next year? 

If so, not a bad idea.  If anything he can draw a few fouls, pick up a spare rebound here and there, and give breathers to the other guys then I would be all for it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
Isn't the redshirt mandatory under NCAA rules because Liam is a transfer?  I didn't think they were red shirting him just for the heck of it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:55:48 AM »
Isn't the redshirt mandatory under NCAA rules because Liam is a transfer?  I didn't think they were red shirting him just for the heck of it.

I agree - I don't think there is an option.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:02:33 AM »
Isn't McMorrow being redshirted because of the trasnfer?  That's what I thought, even though he is from Canada, I think the same rule applies.  Isn't that correct?  He MUST sit out a year. . .

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:06:54 AM »
Yes, the red shirt is mandated by NCAA rules.  This is not an option.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »
Here's a thought... maybe McMorrow was out-playing Mbakwe in practice so badly that Trevor saw the writing on the wall and knew he'd be buried on the bench behind a 7', 20 pt, 10 reb, 5 blocks per game machine for his last two years at MU so he decided to cut his losses and transfer now.

.... A guy can dream, can't he???

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
I thought that he basically has to sit out the year, that there's no option to play.  If there is, however, I would seriously consider it.  We can use all the sizeable post players we can get in the BE.  I would be totally happy if either he or O'Tule can give us something in the post.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
If he can contribute, is there an option to petition the NCAA to waive the mandatory year off?

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:17:16 PM »
If he can contribute, is there an option to petition the NCAA to waive the mandatory year off?

Sorry but, umm...if it's MANDATORY...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 01:16:32 PM »
When he signed with MU the article said he had to redshirt, but I always wondered if this was a correct intrepretation. Ther is no doubt that if you were a transfer from another NCAA school you would be required to sit out a year. However, I believe you can transfer to or from an NAIA school and not have to sit out. Therefore, if his school in Canada was not a member of the NCAA, I think you could argue that he does not have to redshirt. The recent article on him in the Toronto paper said that there has never been a player to go from his league to
go to a division 1 school in the NCAA.

Assuming he could play this year, I think it would be a mistake if he was projected to only average 4 pts and 4 rebounds. Using McMorrow a year early is giving up a year on the back end. Let say he goes 4-4, 8-8 and 12-10. If he redshirts this year he goes 8-8, 12-10, 18-12. Is it worth giving up an 18-12 year for a current 4-4 year. I do not think so. Now if Buzz believes he will never become a great player then I could see using him now. Or if Buzz believes he will be so good that he would leave after his junior year like Wade, then I could see using him now. I think he falls in between these senarios and believe in the long run that both McMorrow and MU would benefit from redshirting McMorrow this year.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
When he signed with MU the article said he had to redshirt, but I always wondered if this was a correct intrepretation. Ther is no doubt that if you were a transfer from another NCAA school you would be required to sit out a year. However, I believe you can transfer to or from an NAIA school and not have to sit out. Therefore, if his school in Canada was not a member of the NCAA, I think you could argue that he does not have to redshirt. The recent article on him in the Toronto paper said that there has never been a player to go from his league to
go to a division 1 school in the NCAA.

Not true.  If you transfer from a NAIA school to NCAA, you have to sit out a year.  The NCAA requires that if you are transferring from a 4 year institution, whether NCAA, NAIA, or CCAA to a Division 1 NCAA school, you have to sit out a year.  So McMorrow is required to sit out as Durham College is a 4 year school and a member of the CCAA.

The not sitting out comes only if you transfer down a level.  So if someone were going from NCAA to NAIA or D1 NCAA to a lower division, they wouldn't have to sit out.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:43:49 PM by bma725 »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:34:04 PM »
if he's going to put up 18-12 if we red shirt him then perhaps we should redshirt him twice so that he puts up 23-16.  Would you rather he play next year and put up 8-8 when he can put up 23-16 in four years?

A 7 footer coming off the bench and avg 4 and 4 this year as well as being a defensive presence would be huge for this team.  That could sway 2-3 conference victories our way, too bad his redshirt is mandatory.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 03:01:44 PM »
Here's a thought... maybe McMorrow was out-playing Mbakwe in practice so badly that Trevor saw the writing on the wall and knew he'd be buried on the bench behind a 7', 20 pt, 10 reb, 5 blocks per game machine for his last two years at MU so he decided to cut his losses and transfer now.

.... A guy can dream, can't he???

While you're at it, dream of MoAck throwing down a two-hander as he teabags Thabeet!  ;)
SS Marquette

muball

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »
We need to stop looking for PIE IN THE SKY, we have more height then last year but Chris is a frosh, Dwight should improve, Fulce will play taller then Fitz, and Butler adds height so overall we have more height but alot of unknowns. If a few players turn in up a notch and our new guys add value we should continue to be very good. I prefer  Liam has additional time to improve his game and both Dwight and Chris and Liam can battle each other and improve in practice. Ooze didnt really have that opportunity. We will be OK