Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Last Recruit of 2009  (Read 13069 times)

nola03

The Last Recruit of 2009
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:36:57 PM »
At this point it's pretty much common thought that Marquette will look to secure a verbal commit from one more player in the 2009 class. We've got kids like Snaer, Parrom, Murray, Dower, Williams (Jordan or Derrick), etc. that we're either in tight with or they're getting interest lately from us.

That being the case, who would you like to see and what need do they provide?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: The Last Recruit of 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:43:37 PM »
Not sure of those guys.

But with Lawrence's commitment to SJU, it looks a like it's gotten a little tougher to get Parrom.
SS Marquette

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:09 PM »
Snaer, the new #11 ranked overall recruit in Rivals. But again, how is this possible with no openings.  Something is going on here. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
Snaer, the new #11 ranked overall recruit in Rivals. But again, how is this possible with no openings.  Something is going on here. 

That's easy, Buzz will just "pull a Crean." ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 07:24:49 PM »
Is there seriously anyone that wouldn't say Snaer?  Its not even a question.

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:50:49 PM »
Snaer or Murray.
Once a warrior always a warrior.

mu ball

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 09:49:55 PM »
Do you think they can land snaer without a scholly available?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:04:29 AM »
You make room for a player of Snaer's caliber and Snaer knows it.   You'd probably have to be honest with a bench warmer in the program and tell them you don't see them in our future plans. 

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 05:43:56 AM »
Scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis; so the shortage of scholarships is easily solved.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 06:34:55 AM »
If a player is unhappy and wants to transfer then I say let them and use their scholarship.  But I wouldn't want Marquette to get a reputation of pulling scholarships from one player to give to another.  I believe in what goes around comes around.  I can go to school X which has a reputation of pulling scholarships from one player to give to another, or I can go to school Y which doesn't do that practise.  Where would I go?  Well, probably a lot more peace of mind at school Y.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 06:48:56 AM by NCMUFan »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 07:58:16 AM »
If a player is unhappy and wants to transfer then I say let them and use their scholarship.  But I wouldn't want Marquette to get a reputation of pulling scholarships from one player to give to another.  I believe in what goes around comes around.  I can go to school X which has a reputation of pulling scholarships from one player to give to another, or I can go to school Y which doesn't do that practise.  Where would I go?  Well, probably a lot more peace of mind at school Y.

Duke and UConn don't seem to have any problem attracting recruits, yet they are among the leaders in terms of transfers-out.  Wisconsin has had quite a few of these players.  Majerus has run quite a few players off the SLU roster.

I don't think we want players who's main goal  in choosing a school is "peace of mind." 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:19:46 AM »
Sure, we can treat players that way, but they are also students.  People are resilient and can adjust, but it's college hoops and the great majority aren't going to be NBA pro's.  We can also feel, who care's if they get a degree or not?  It's just a matter of priorities and what is important, not whether you can or not.  As stated earlier scholarships are renewed on a yearly basis.  What about all the good programs that don't have to attrition players to be consistent winners?  You can always find an exception.  What kind of reputation do you want though?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:25:39 AM by NCMUFan »

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:45:30 AM »
absolutely, NCMU. I would hate MU to start shuttling players out in a numbers game. These players are, after all, still kids. I think Buzz is covering his tracks in case someone doesn't get his grades in order.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »
Boy some of you guys really want to have your cake and to eat it too!  Many of you including nola have no problem stating as a matter of fact that Buzz should have never gotten the job, additionally you say if Buzz does not win right away he should be fired.  Yet you are so high and mighty that he must also do it your way and with players that he did not recruit.  We all know that Crean signed alot of players that were not high D1 material and had no sense garnering a scholarship to Marquette: Berkowitz, Lott, Kinsella, Christopherson, and the list goes on.  So if say a kid is completely over his head yet the fan base feels Buzz needs to win right now you are totally against Buzz sitting down with that player and explaining that he has no future with the program.  Wow!! Snaer would be the one, MU needs another 2G.   

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 09:51:31 AM »
Boy some of you guys really want to have your cake and to eat it too!  Many of you including nola have no problem stating as a matter of fact that Buzz should have never gotten the job, additionally you say if Buzz does not win right away he should be fired.  Yet you are so high and mighty that he must also do it your way and with players that he did not recruit.  We all know that Crean signed alot of players that were not high D1 material and had no sense garnering a scholarship to Marquette: Berkowitz, Lott, Kinsella, Christopherson, and the list goes on.  So if say a kid is completely over his head yet the fan base feels Buzz needs to win right now you are totally against Buzz sitting down with that player and explaining that he has no future with the program.  Wow!! Snaer would be the one, MU needs another 2G.   

Agree 100%.  And the day we get kids who come to MU for "peace of mind" is the day we're screwed.    If you don't see a future for a kid and he wants to actually play in college the only right thing to do is inform him and let him decide.   

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 10:15:04 AM »
Looks, it's nice to blame Crean for a recruit that apparently doesn't meet your standards.  But what happens when the Crean recruits are gone?  Now do you say to Jimmy Butler.  Well you were really just a last minute fill in?  And after that - Well I thought you were better than you really are?  It just gets cheesier as you go. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »
Will Cook's denial of a 6th year (!!!) influence Parrom?

I'm unsure about their scholly situation.
SS Marquette

nola03

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:05 AM »

Yawn   

Your agenda is laughable. It's like you're a politician. Ignore everything around you and just stick to the message over and over and over again. It's stupid. And childish.

That crap is over. You need to pay attention. And you need to move the unnatural carnal knowledge on. I have. I'm offering topics to the board to discuss basketball issues. Not our coaching process. Not the politics of who likes whom. Not dwelling on Crean's moves at Indiana like others do (far, far too often).

I've praised Buzz and given him credit far more then criticized him in the past two months. But the only thing you, Buzz' Bulldog, and others want to remember is that I, and many, many others, didn't fawn over Cottingham and his choice the instant it was made. It's a shame when people hold your rationality against you.

Sorry for the mini-rant everyone. It's Friday and I'm bored.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »

Your agenda is laughable. It's like you're a politician. Ignore everything around you and just stick to the message over and over and over again. It's stupid. And childish.

That crap is over. You need to pay attention. And you need to move the frack on. I have. I'm offering topics to the board to discuss basketball issues. Not our coaching process. Not the politics of who likes whom. Not dwelling on Crean's moves at Indiana like others do (far, far too often).

I've praised Buzz and given him credit far more then criticized him in the past two months. But the only thing you, Buzz' Bulldog, and others want to remember is that I, and many, many others, didn't fawn over Cottingham and his choice the instant it was made. It's a shame when people hold your rationality against you.

Sorry for the mini-rant everyone. It's Friday and I'm bored.

It seems like you're just dismissing his statement and instead just attacking Hayward.   Would you want to see Buzz fired if we went to the NIT in '09 and '10?   If the answer is yes, then you probably shouldn't play high and mighty on Buzz if he wants his shot with his own players.

nola03

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 12:31:12 PM »
It seems like you're just dismissing his statement and instead just attacking Hayward.   Would you want to see Buzz fired if we went to the NIT in '09 and '10?   If the answer is yes, then you probably shouldn't play high and mighty on Buzz if he wants his shot with his own players.

You caught on that I was attacking hayward? I admitted that in my post.   :-\

As to your last point, when in this thread did I ever play "high and mighty"? I started the thread asking people who they wanted with the last recruit of 2009 and never wrote anything about Buzz being fired.

Besides, why would I want to fire a coach I've praised recently?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »
"Many of you including nola have no problem stating as a matter of fact that Buzz should have never gotten the job, additionally you say if Buzz does not win right away he should be fired. "

Is this accurate?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
We do not know if Buzz will over recruit. He may be just keeping his options open. We also do not know if a player is considering transferring or if possibly Acker will not come back as a 5th year senior.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »
"Many of you including nola have no problem stating as a matter of fact that Buzz should have never gotten the job, additionally you say if Buzz does not win right away he should be fired. "

Is this accurate?

The only thing we have to go on as far as Buzz the coach is what he did at UNO 2 years ago as HC. Had a very good offensive team (#56 efficiency rank---RPI)----however his defense was  horrible with a 313 efficiency defensive rank.

Buzz seems very laid back/easy going-----returning players are used to Crean pushing them hard. Usually that doesn't work-----Buzz is going to have to be very demanding!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
The post was originally about recruits.  Unfortunately I started to follow a thread in regards to the fact scholarships are only a year and then renewed and now it is a starting to be a thread about Buzz and winning.  Buzz's first season at New Orleans may have been as Murf stated.  But listening to what the new recruits have said about being at Marquette and about weaknesses they need to improve does not give me the impressions that Buzz does not expect 110% from his players.

nola03

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »

Is this accurate?

As we sit here today, no that is not accurate. Not sure I've ever been that black-and-white with Buzz.

Again, what's the point of belaboring this agenda when I've been praiseworthy of Buzz over the last two months?

feedback