[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Wilson narrows list to 7 schools  (Read 4978 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: Jamil Wilson narrows list to 7 schools
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:20:04 AM »
Jamil Wilson, who stands as the #1 09' prospect in Wisconsin and one of the top 10 prospects nationally in the 09 class wraps up his summer this weekend in Portland, Oregon at the Nike Global Challenge where he will compete with and against some of the very best talent in the world.  However, while Jamil Wilson's summer schedule winds down after this weekend, his recruitment is set to move full speed ahead as he is regarded as one of the premiere prospects in the country still available.  I caught up with Wilson this morning as he prepares for this weekend's event and he indicated that he's narrowed his list down to 7 schools.

The long athletic Wilson is a mutli-skilled forward who can handle the ball, stroke the jumper, and has exceptional length and athleticism that make him very difficult to contain in both the open court and half court sets.  As good as he is now, he's got tons of room to grow and improve and while he's shown an ability to dominate on both the high school and grassroots circuits the past couple of years, the young forward's best years look to still be ahead of him.

That being said, while high major programs across the country have tried to position themselves to land the 6'8" F from Racine Horlick, Wilson informed me earlier today via telephone that he has narrowed his list of schools down to 7 and they are as follows:  Purdue, Michigan State, Duke, Marquette, Oregon, Texas, and Kentucky.  These are not in any particular order.

"These are the schools that have shown the most interest in me but more importantly myself and my family are comfortable with these schools as well right now,"  Wilson said."  He added, "With the school year approaching, this is the time to shorten the list down to those that I am seriously considering and its the right thing to do for myself, my family, and the schools that have been recruiting me."

Jamil Wilson attends Racine Horlick High School and he competes on the Grassroots circuit with the Playground Elite.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:49:25 AM »
Interesting to see MU still listed, despite losing Crean and despite filling all scholarships. Likewise, nice to see Crean and IU not listed.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 01:12:09 PM »
My source still says MU is leading. While MU cooled on the kid earlier he still has EXTREMELY high interest in being a Warrior. This kid is impact recruit in ways bigger than the court.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 01:40:42 PM »
My source still says MU is leading. While MU cooled on the kid earlier he still has EXTREMELY high interest in being a Warrior. This kid is impact recruit in ways bigger than the court.

Who's place does he take?  Or does Buzz run someone off?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »
Who's place does he take?  Or does Buzz run someone off?

I'm not going to speculate on that.  But, just for the hell of it, let's assume that space does open up and Wilson comes to Marquette.  Imagine a class of Maymon, Williams, Wilson, Cadougan and Buycks.  Nice class.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:11:37 PM »
Understatement

Intentional.  Teal didn't seem appropriate.  I wasn't sure what color we use for severe understatement.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »

Have we still "cooled" on him? What are the NCAA Rules? I presume we've offered him already. Even though we've already filled all of our scholarships, can he still officially accept the offer (sometime in March/April if I remember correctly?)?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
Isn't it the case that a school can offer a ton of scholarships and withdraw them at any time.  We have a lot of offers out there right now I believe, and had a ton prior to the Junior commit etc.  I believe the university can withdraw an offer at any time.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 08:08:20 AM »
Its also interesting that he has siad when he will make his decision and it would be a late one. Allowing an MU player to be runoff or have to transfer.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

nola03

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 01:32:46 PM »
Its also interesting that he has siad when he will make his decision and it would be a late one. Allowing an MU player to be runoff or have to transfer.

The following phrase may be repeated a few times between now and March 2009:

"When a new coach is hired sometimes a player brought in under the former coach doesn't quite fit in with the new system and he decides to leave straight away or he learns that after staying one season and then leaving."

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 01:34:43 PM »
My guess is that we lose a scholly player at end of the year, or possibly semester. In addition, I heard Buycks might have trouble with credits that transfer.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
I will take him if somebody else leaves, but how many 6'7" tweener forwards do we need.   Assuming its Hazel (no information, just starting a conversation), we end up with Lazar, Fulce, Butler, Williams, Wilson and Maymon.    That is a lot of guys with the exact same body type and similar games.    True, it is better to run out a PG and 4 6'7" guys than 4 guards and one 6'7" guy.     No true, pure stroking 2G, no 6'9" monster at the 4.    Of course, if Hazel stays, we have the exact scenario anyway, but theoretically, Wilson has more upside and versatility.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 08:03:03 AM »
I will take him if somebody else leaves, but how many 6'7" tweener forwards do we need.   Assuming its Hazel (no information, just starting a conversation), we end up with Lazar, Fulce, Butler, Williams, Wilson and Maymon.    That is a lot of guys with the exact same body type and similar games.    True, it is better to run out a PG and 4 6'7" guys than 4 guards and one 6'7" guy.     No true, pure stroking 2G, no 6'9" monster at the 4.    Of course, if Hazel stays, we have the exact scenario anyway, but theoretically, Wilson has more upside and versatility.

You forgot Mbakwe in your list.  And because you did, you are most likely already dead.

RIP tower912   :'(

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
Well this college ball not the NBA, 6'7 PF are more common then you think. Arizona won a title with one, Despite the draft now not being open to all, there still are not many tall big men. You can win with a shorter strong big men at the 4 position and thent all guards. Maymonn and Wilson are not the same as Lazar Fulce Butler and Williams. Maymonn and Wilson are much stronger.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 11:35:02 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=3531490

He is multi-skilled and overall a very promising talent for the next level, but 6-7 senior Jamil Wilson (Racine, Wis./ Horlick) plays way too soft at this stage of his career to reach his potential.

Can you practice not being soft?

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 12:20:24 PM »
Can you practice not being soft?
ask tom crean. his solution was tackle dummies.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »

so like Memphis has been doing for years... that system works just fine in the NCAA.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2