[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts on Maymon  (Read 14450 times)

MUSF

• All American
Thoughts on Maymon
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:04:19 PM »
I spoke with a long time Badger season ticket holder, who also happens to have close ties to Maymon's AAU team. Here is a summary of his thoughts on Maymon

1. Really wishes UW would have gone after him harder
2. Best player from the state of WI he has personally ever seen
      - caveat: not sure how many that entails but Mathews, Nankivil, Butch
        Novak, Diener at a minimum
3. Doesn't think his grades will be an issue because prior to this year he didn't
    make the effort.  Not a dumb kid.
4. His dad is a nightmare and doesn't do his son any favors

This guy is by no means a basketball expert but he definitely watches a ton of it so take it for what it's worth.

Murffieus

• All American
Re: Thoughts on Maymon
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:35:30 AM »
The "dad" is why Crean & Ryan didn't go after Maymon----always on the phone to the coach telling him how to do his job-----isn't satisfied unless his kid is the "go to guy"-----runs up and down the sidelines during games hollering instructions to his son.

OpenLook

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:44:57 AM »
I spoke with a long time Badger season ticket holder, who also happens to have close ties to Maymon's AAU team. Here is a summary of his thoughts on Maymon

3. Doesn't think his grades will be an issue because prior to this year he didn't

This guy is by no means a basketball expert but he definitely watches a ton of it so take it for what it's worth.

If thisis true, 3 out of 4 is fine by me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 08:46:46 AM by OpenLook »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 09:32:14 AM »
The "dad" is why Crean & Ryan didn't go after Maymon----always on the phone to the coach telling him how to do his job-----isn't satisfied unless his kid is the "go to guy"-----runs up and down the sidelines during games hollering instructions to his son.
  I'm sure the BC ushers & security guys will keep him seated.

Pardner

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:33:16 AM »

Insert internet for phone and you are describing the 1800 Scoopers who do the same thing.  So how is an overinvolved parent who cheerleads for his kid a new story?  The parents did the right thing for the kid, pulling him our of club this summer and getting his grades in order, saying they picked MU because of the type of school it is AND the basketball program.  Sounds like a great situation--a parent who loves his son and took the time to pick, what the entire family thought, was the perfect school, is the type of recruit I would want if I was head coach.  Beats dealing with an overbearing handler/hs coach/shoe company salesman from NJ.

Welcome Maymons!

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »

1. His father said as much.

2. Maymon may be the best player from WI your friend has personally seen. He is not by far the best player to come out of WI.

3. Anyway you look at this statement it is not a positive. Maymon did try hard enough to attempt to cheat on his test. All you can hope for is that Jeronne has matured.

4. There has been attempt to downplay this after Maymon's commitment. Buzz had better set the ground rules early with dad and not waver.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 09:54:13 AM »
Insert internet for phone and you are describing the 1800 Scoopers who do the same thing.  So how is an overinvolved parent who cheerleads for his kid a new story?  The parents did the right thing for the kid, pulling him our of club this summer and getting his grades in order, saying they picked MU because of the type of school it is AND the basketball program.  Sounds like a great situation--a parent who loves his son and took the time to pick, what the entire family thought, was the perfect school, is the type of recruit I would want if I was head coach.  Beats dealing with an overbearing handler/hs coach/shoe company salesman from NJ.

Welcome Maymons!

murf is correct in this instance. Dad is an extreme case. This has been well known for a long time. It has been downplayed by some when Marquette became serious in its recruitment of Maymon.

I am sure dad does love his son. That does not make some of his actions any less palatable or potentially problematic.   

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 11:31:22 AM »
1. His father said as much.

2. Maymon may be the best player from WI your friend has personally seen. He is not by far the best player to come out of WI.

3. Anyway you look at this statement it is not a positive. Maymon did try hard enough to attempt to cheat on his test. All you can hope for is that Jeronne has matured.

4. There has been attempt to downplay this after Maymon's commitment. Buzz had better set the ground rules early with dad and not waver.

1. I don't care if UW went after him hard or not.  There is a reason Ryan has a reputation as not being a very good recruiter.  He gets guys for his system.  A system that can only take teams so far against better talent (see the NCAA tournement results).

2. Who would you say is the best in the last 15/20 years.  People can have different opinions.  He has yours and you have yours.  Your opinion is not definitive, so don't act like it is.

3. You never had any friends in high school who screwed around and didn't try hard the first 2/3 years but eventually got their heads screwed on straight and started taking a real interest and ended up becoming real successful?  Because I sure as hell saw a lot of people like this.  Also, making unfounded statements about cheating on tests is just ignorant and stupid.

4. This is major division 1 basketball, not the junior varsity at some high school.  Any college coach worth his money should be able to let the dad know that.  I don't think you would ever see Coach K, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino...etc not recruit a kid because of his dad, no matter how over-bearing or obnoxious he was/is.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 11:55:38 AM »
1. I don't care if UW went after him hard or not.  There is a reason Ryan has a reputation as not being a very good recruiter.  He gets guys for his system.  A system that can only take teams so far against better talent (see the NCAA tournement results).

2. Who would you say is the best in the last 15/20 years.  People can have different opinions.  He has yours and you have yours.  Your opinion is not definitive, so don't act like it is.

3. You never had any friends in high school who screwed around and didn't try hard the first 2/3 years but eventually got their heads screwed on straight and started taking a real interest and ended up becoming real successful?  Because I sure as hell saw a lot of people like this.  Also, making unfounded statements about cheating on tests is just ignorant and stupid.

4. This is major division 1 basketball, not the junior varsity at some high school.  Any college coach worth his money should be able to let the dad know that.  I don't think you would ever see Coach K, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino...etc not recruit a kid because of his dad, no matter how over-bearing or obnoxious he was/is.

I disagree about coaches not deferring because of a family member. Parents can be a huge pain in a coaches rear end----especially parents who are close enough to attend all the games. Out of love for their son they sometimes have blinders on and will plant negatives in their son, which can not only affect his play but his teammates play as well (e.g. negatives about a certain player-----negatives about  the coach, etc).

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 12:21:10 PM »
I disagree about coaches not deferring because of a family member. Parents can be a huge pain in a coaches rear end----especially parents who are close enough to attend all the games. Out of love for their son they sometimes have blinders on and will plant negatives in their son, which can not only affect his play but his teammates play as well (e.g. negatives about a certain player-----negatives about  the coach, etc).

Didn't Madison Memorial barely miss out on the WIAA Championship last year?-----Couldn't have been too big of a distraction.  Heck he must have been a help!

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »

1. You don't have to care. It was a statement of fact that Maymon was disappointed not to have been recruited by Wisconsin.

2. That was my opinion. If someone wants to argue that Maymon is the states all time greatest player they are welcome to try and make that argument.

3. Because others have turned it around does not make it a positive that Jeronne did not care his first 2+ years in high school. He put his back against the wall. Hopefully he now cares. Maymon served a suspension when was caught cheating on a test.

4. On this point you are simply wrong.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 01:08:28 PM by dennycrane »

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »
Didn't Madison Memorial barely miss out on the WIAA Championship last year?-----Couldn't have been too big of a distraction.  Heck he must have been a help!

Sure as long as his kid is scoring 30 ppg in the tournament he's quiet-----but if Buzz doesn't set him up the way dad thinks he should be----you can bet that dad will be on the horn to Buzz letting him know about it!

MarkMiller

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
Murf ... have you attended Madison Memorial games and actually WITNESSED Tim Maymon running up and down the sidelines?

I have attended at least 25 of Jeronne's games the past three years. No question, Tim Maymon can be loud.

However, he does not "run up and down the sidelines yelling instructions at his kid."

Jeronne Maymon will be an outstanding player at Marquette and his father will be his No. 1 fan. Seriously doubt Tim Maymon will make Buzz Williams' life difficult. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 01:35:35 PM »
1. You don't have to care. It was a statement of fact that Maymon was disappointed not to have been recruited by Wisconsin.

2. That was my opinion. If someone wants to argue that Maymon is the states all time greatest player they are welcome to try and make that argument.

3. Because others have turned it around does not make it a positive that Jeronne did not care his first 2+ years in high school. He put his back against the wall. Hopefully he now cares. Maymon served a suspension when was caught cheating on a test.

4. On this point you are simply wrong.

1.  Bo Ryan doesn't land too many athletic big men, so I have to believe Bo should be the sorry one.  If you want to play Bo's style of ball, you better accept that you're not going to get athletes.

2.  No one argued that he was the state's best player...just the best player a guy we don't know ever saw play.  Not a lot of information there, but you don't need to pout about someone's opinion on the kid.

3.  Anyone with brains and class knows not to type that crap on the Internet.  I'm sure you did plenty of dumb things in your life that you wouldn't want placed on the Internet.  I always thought Madison was an area where people were less judgemental...

4.  Perhaps Buzz feels he can handle the father.  Dealing with parents is never easy; however, maybe Buzz can help the kid and his father to find some balance.  The fact that you post things about minors cheating on tests, which we all know is illegal for a school to comment on, makes me wonder how great of a father you could be.  Teachers and coaches help helicopter parents better deal with their children every day.  Buzz may be very successful at it, and as a result all parties will be much better served.  

5.  MU consistently gets the best recruits out of the state.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 01:37:44 PM »
Agreed.  They might show him occasionally on TV like they do with pappy Hansbourgh,but I see seriously doubt Buzz will have any patience with that kind of stuff.

And if Maymon's dad starts to become an issue, Jeronne will need to man up and take care of it.

Just like when mamma LeBron tried to get involved in one of his games last year.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »
Murf ... have you attended Madison Memorial games and actually WITNESSED Tim Maymon running up and down the sidelines?

I have attended at least 25 of Jeronne's games the past three years. No question, Tim Maymon can be loud.

However, he does not "run up and down the sidelines yelling instructions at his kid."

Jeronne Maymon will be an outstanding player at Marquette and his father will be his No. 1 fan. Seriously doubt Tim Maymon will make Buzz Williams' life difficult. 

Mark----I heard from a very reliable source that Tim is very physically active on the sidelines (a respected local City Conference coach)----he used the words "running up and down the sidelines".

This was in response to my question as to why Bo and TC didn't actively recruit Jeronne.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »
Once again, the difference between second hand information/making judgements by video, and first hand, in person observations.   Hmmmm, whom to believe?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »
Once again, the difference between second hand information/making judgements by video, and first hand, in person observations.   Hmmmm, whom to believe?

I think I'll believe the state's foremost expert on Wisconsin high school basketball talent over Murff.  Just like I will believe people who evaluate Junior Cadougan for a living over a guy who has seen a 30 second clip of him.

Dennycrane-In your initial post you stated the other guy was flat out wrong.  You didn't state that was your opinion or that was what you thought.  Maybe you should work on your phrasing a little better.

Please show me examples of where elite coaches have backed away from elite kids due to their parents.  If Mark Miller doesn't think it will be a problem, why would I?

Personally, I'm excited for Jeronne and think this class could be one of MU's best ever.  If MU somehow added Wilson or Snaer to the class, wow!!! (Although I'm not a huge fan of over-recruiting whether its Crean or Buzz doing it)

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 03:34:47 PM »

Look, I don't care "who you want to believe"----could care less----all that I'm telling you is what I've heard from a person who's opinion i trust----it isn't even my opinion as I've never seen Tim Maymon at a game-----but I do know how a parent can upset a team!

BTW---why else wouldn't TC and BR been all over Jeronne after that stellar State Tournament? Answer me that one!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:36:50 PM by Murffieus »

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
1.  Bo Ryan doesn't land too many athletic big men, so I have to believe Bo should be the sorry one.  If you want to play Bo's style of ball, you better accept that you're not going to get athletes.

2.  No one argued that he was the state's best player...just the best player a guy we don't know ever saw play.  Not a lot of information there, but you don't need to pout about someone's opinion on the kid.

3.  Anyone with brains and class knows not to type that crap on the Internet.  I'm sure you did plenty of dumb things in your life that you wouldn't want placed on the Internet.  I always thought Madison was an area where people were less judgemental...

4.  Perhaps Buzz feels he can handle the father.  Dealing with parents is never easy; however, maybe Buzz can help the kid and his father to find some balance.  The fact that you post things about minors cheating on tests, which we all know is illegal for a school to comment on, makes me wonder how great of a father you could be.  Teachers and coaches help helicopter parents better deal with their children every day.  Buzz may be very successful at it, and as a result all parties will be much better served.  

5.  MU consistently gets the best recruits out of the state.

1. Maymon would not be considered a big man. At 6'6 he can play some 4.

2. The comment was made that Maymon was the best player he had ever seen. There was little knowledge as to how many players this person has seen 0 to infinite. If you want to place some context to that remark please do so? Do you want to argue that he is the best player from the state? I would not even argue against Maymon being a better high school player than the several mentioned. Although I could make a case for a couple of those players being better than Maymon as well.

3. It was reported on the internet a long time ago. He was suspended from a game. It is very old news and not a secret. You may have missed a little bit of discussion when Royce White had a similar incident. I suspect it may have even been talked about on this board.

4. Tim Maymon has made public comments accusing those who don't believe in his son as being the problem. His comments to the media pointed the finger at others for where his son was academically. Tim Maymon loves to be the center of attention in public. If you want to be in the limelight you had better be able to take the good with the bad.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 03:51:34 PM »
I think I'll believe the state's foremost expert on Wisconsin high school basketball talent over Murff.  Just like I will believe people who evaluate Junior Cadougan for a living over a guy who has seen a 30 second clip of him.

Dennycrane-In your initial post you stated the other guy was flat out wrong.  You didn't state that was your opinion or that was what you thought.  Maybe you should work on your phrasing a little better.

Please show me examples of where elite coaches have backed away from elite kids due to their parents.  If Mark Miller doesn't think it will be a problem, why would I?

Personally, I'm excited for Jeronne and think this class could be one of MU's best ever.  If MU somehow added Wilson or Snaer to the class, wow!!! (Although I'm not a huge fan of over-recruiting whether its Crean or Buzz doing it)

Coach K sent Kris Humphrie and his dad packing after he signed at Duke.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »
BTW---why else wouldn't TC and BR been all over Jeronne after that stellar State Tournament? Answer me that one!
The fact that he is in danger of not qualifying for college basketball MAY have caused them to back off a bit, not sure why that would though hey?  Especially since he is still considered a risk AFTER significantly improving his grades over the summer, so before that can you imagine the risk?  Me neither, must've been his dad.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »
Coach K sent Kris Humphrie and his dad packing after he signed at Duke.

Kris Humphries asked for his realease from his NLI, not the other way around.  No specific reason was given but it has been rumored that Humphries wanted more playing time becauase he wanted to go go pro after one year but saw there was a ton of big men at Duke he would be behind.  Do you know something everyones else doesn't?  Seems coarch K was fine with his dad during his recruitment.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 05:02:32 PM »
Kris Humphries asked for his realease from his NLI, not the other way around.  No specific reason was given but it has been rumored that Humphries wanted more playing time becauase he wanted to go go pro after one year but saw there was a ton of big men at Duke he would be behind.  Do you know something everyones else doesn't?  Seems coarch K was fine with his dad during his recruitment.

I have some swamp land to sell you.

Humphries and his old man tried to play Coach K. K would have none of it. Humphries and father became Monson's problem.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 05:33:08 PM »
denny crane you is a fool.   the poster did put some context to it when he stated ":
        Novak, Diener at a minimum"

my goodness how much more context would you like.  Biggest problem is most of you guys are losers and have ever even seen the inner working of AAu ball or parents etc.  you would never begin to believe the BS Crean Oneill or any of the other coaches around the country deal with s far as parent, the phone calls and other BS.  A parent wanting the best for their kid and being vocsl from the stands hardly seems abnormal to me who have seen far more than that.  buzz holds the keys you buffoon..

Jerrone will be fine...he is wonderfully talented and knows nothing will be given too him,he is commited as his  A and B this summer prove.   Worst cse scenario he does not work out,  crean had 2-3 of those almost every year and some are ready to build a statue next to Al of the guy.