[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mbakwe article  (Read 29361 times)

GoMarquetteSays

[GoMarquette.com] Mbakwe Leaves Marquette For Personal Reasons
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 11:30:03 PM »
Mbakwe Leaves Marquette For Personal Reasons

Sophomore forward Trevor Mbakwe of the Marquette University men's basketball has decided not to return to the program for his second season due to personal reasons.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082508aaa.html

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Mbakwe quits team
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 11:33:16 PM »
Damn it.

MUWeb7

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2008, 11:37:32 PM »
wow.  just wow.  dont know what to say

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2008, 11:39:30 PM »
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:42:01 PM by TallTitan34 »

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 11:41:49 PM »
the thing that suprises me was that
"He just said that he felt it was best to go the junior-college route,"

but at least Buzz took the high road and said if he doesnt have 100% dedication then we dont want him

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
I guess it didn't matter that we took off that redshirt last year now.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:49:23 PM by TallTitan34 »

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Following up on Mbakwe
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 11:45:05 PM »
Following up on Mbakwe

Written by: Todd Rosiak

Buzz Williams learned around 8 Friday night that Trevor Mbakwe would be leaving MU, but he kept the news close to the vest until he was able to bring the Golden Eagles together late Sunday night to inform them.

"We confirmed it Saturday, and that was pretty much it," said Williams following that meeting tonight. "I didn't tell anybody because I wanted our team to be the first people I told."

Williams said he wasn't even the first person to learn of the possibility Mbakwe was considering quitting.

"He had never told me anything (over the summer)," said Williams. "He had actually called Aki (Collins) and told Aki that he was thinking about leaving Friday at about 4. So Friday at 4 we've got one hour of business day left before school starts Monday morning at 8 a.m."

Making the news even more surprising was how well Mbakwe had done over the past few months.

"He had a great summer," said Williams. "Did a very good job academically, progressed toward a degree, had a great summer with our guys in the weight room. So I was completely caught off-guard."

Williams said the team took the news of Mbakwe's departure in stride.

"For all that you have to go through -- through an academic year, through a basketball season, through all the practices, individual workouts, weight sessions, you want guys that are committed to being one of us," he said. "And if you're not committed, then good luck wherever it is that you go.

"So I don't know that our guys are upset. I think they kind of felt the same way I did: if he feels lke that's what best for him, we wish him nothing but the best."

Without Mbakwe, MU is left with Lazar Hayward as the starter at power forward, and not a lot of other options.

Junior-college transfer Joe Fulce might get a look there, but he's probably too slight to play there more than sporadically. Sophomore Pat Hazel would be another possibility, but he averaged just 0.5 points and 1.1 rebounds in 14 games last season.

"I don't know that (Mbakwe quitting) puts more pressure on any of our guys," said Williams. "We all have to be held accountable every single day for what we do, and the work that we produce, and I feel comfortable that we will.

"How that plays out I don't know, in regards to how many games we'll win or lose. But I'm not a prophet and not smart enough to predict, so I don't want to predict, 'Well, if Trevor would have been here he would have done this or he would have done that.'

"Who knows who's going to get hurt? Who knows who's going to get in foul trouble? Who knows who is on our team that we're anticipating having a great year and doesn't? Who's on our team that is new that is going to surprise all of us? I can't predict any of that. We'll go with what we've got, work at it every single day, and see how it plays out."

Mbakwe's departure leaves Williams with an addition scholarship in the 2009-'1o recruiting class. MU already has oral commitments from forwards Erik Williams and Jeronne Maymon and guards Dwight Buycks and Junior Cadougan. 

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/08/24/following-up-on-mbakwe.aspx

mviale

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 11:54:45 PM »
painful, but not surprising. Not sure how much of a loss, but we need guys that want to be here.  He didnt want to play in the NCAA's.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 12:13:18 AM »
are you f'in kidding me

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
Re: Mbakwe article
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 12:35:20 AM »
Bump. Unfortunately, my gut feeling came true. But even earlier than I expected. I knew there was more to this whole Mbakwe situation all along though. You watch he'll eventually land at Minnesota. He knows the Big East is brutally tough, especially playing down low for an undersized frontcourt player. And he knows MU won't be nearly as strong after the Big 3 graduate. At least for a little while. There's a boatload of big time talent coming into the BE the next few years. So I bet he ends up at a place where he knows they're going to be good and contending for conference title, which Minnesota will be in that Big 10 conference. So much for that 0.5% chance, eh RawdogDX? This is very disappointing, but Chris Otule is just going to have to grow up faster now. My expectations won't change for Chris, but he'll definately have to be thrown into the fire now. There will be no easing in time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:44:14 AM by MUFanInGreenBay »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 12:35:30 AM »
One nutty kid.   Never did get a good vibe about him.     Expectations for next year now become 2nd round/Sweet 16 whereas with Trevor Sweet 16/Elite Eight. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 12:43:29 AM »
Now we know why Buzz kept recruiting. But junior-college? Sounds like he's lost all confidence in himself.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 12:47:17 AM »
Now we know why Buzz kept recruiting. But junior-college? Sounds like he's lost all confidence in himself.
That junior college stuff is hogwash. He'll end up with Tubby eventually. May take some time, but it will happen.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »
Maybe he didn't think he has what it takes to compete in the Big East. Maybe he's right. He should have no trouble in the Big Ten and he won't ever have to worry about grades there either. Best of luck.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2008, 12:50:20 AM »
Minnesota's probably already hired a tutor to do all his schoolwork for him.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2008, 12:50:33 AM »
That junior college stuff is hogwash. He'll end up with Tubby eventually. May take some time, but it will happen.

Completely agree.  We were talking NBA about this kid.  He'll be at Minnesota eventually.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:06 AM »
Maybe he didn't think he has what it takes to compete in the Big East. Maybe he's right. He should have no trouble in the Big Ten and he won't ever have to worry about grades there either. Best of luck.

I don't think Minnesota and Tubby initiated this.   I think the kid is lost and unfortunately made a dumb a## decision which he'll probably regret for the rest of his life.   I know he's got a kid back home but going JC ain't going to get you a good degree and $$ down the line. 

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 12:54:29 AM »
when he ends up at another large program his long term future will be fine, but i just don't understand this. its a risk everyone takes when going to college- will i like it or not? the timing is just strange, the night before classes start

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »

Well then Buzz is lying to us because he said he was totally caught off guard on Friday by this announcement...personally, I think he was caught off guard and has been recruiting for another bomb that will drop later (aka...someone doesn't make it academically...or he's doing it just in case they don't make it academically).

I can't wait for Hayward's response to this.   ::)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 01:17:07 AM »
I don't think Minnesota and Tubby initiated this.   I think the kid is lost and unfortunately made a dumb a## decision which he'll probably regret for the rest of his life.   I know he's got a kid back home but going JC ain't going to get you a good degree and $$ down the line. 

But it obviously meant SOMETHING to him.

So be it.

At least now, we don't have to worry about "over-recruiting."

Good luck, Trevor.
SS Marquette

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Trevor Mbakwe transfers from Marquette - Shocker
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 01:30:10 AM »
Trevor Mbakwe transfers from Marquette - Shocker

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (muwarrior92)

Todd Rosiak is reporting that Trevor Mbakwe has decided to quit the team essentially days before classes are to begin.  New coach Buzz Williams said he was "shocked by the news".  The last minute decision leaves MU even thinner in the middle as it prepares for the 2008-09 season.

For weeks it has been rumored that Buzz has been recruiting several other players even though no scholarships are available.  Some have linked Trevor's departure as a reason for Williams' continued recruiting.   However, if it is true that Williams was shocked by Mbakwe's transfer, then it's obvious Williams has been recruiting for another reason the last few weeks and months.  Is it simply to stay in on kids "just in case" someone doesn't make it academically or backs out of their verbal commitment?  Who knows, but it seems to me that Williams recruiting of late had nothing to do with Mbakwe.

Mbakwe was rumored to transfer after Tom Crean left for Indiana, but he reaffirmed his commitment back in May to stay with Marquette.  Last year he was out for most of the season due to a leg injury, but came back early after medical clearance from MU's doctors.  He was raw, but showed signs of rebounding presence in several games.   It appeared he would be a significant contributor to MU this season as the squad attempts to go for four straight NCAA berths.

What is even more stunning is the reason Mbakwe gave for leaving.  According to Coach Williams, the reason he left was to go the junior college route.  Strange indeed.  I'm sure more information will come about in the coming days.

This leaves Williams in a tough spot.  Things had been going very smoothly for him the last 3 months, but now this last second decision has caught him and the MU faithful off guard.

Todd Rosiak's blog with this entry can be found here.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/08/24/mbakwe-quits-team.aspx

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/08/trevor-mbakwe-transfers-from-marquette.html

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Trevor Mbakwe transfers from Marquette - Shocker
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 01:45:04 AM »
Trevor Mbakwe transfers from Marquette - Shocker

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (muwarrior92)

Todd Rosiak is reporting that Trevor Mbakwe has decided to quit the team essentially days before classes are to begin.  New coach Buzz Williams said he was "shocked by the news".  The last minute decision leaves MU even thinner in the middle as it prepares for the 2008-09 season.

For weeks it has been rumored that Buzz has been recruiting several other players even though no scholarships are available.  Some have linked Trevor's departure as a reason for Williams' continued recruiting.   However, if it is true that Williams was shocked by Mbakwe's transfer, then it's obvious Williams has been recruiting for another reason the last few weeks and months.  Is it simply to stay in on kids "just in case" someone doesn't make it academically or backs out of their verbal commitment?  Who knows, but it seems to me that Williams recruiting of late had nothing to do with Mbakwe.

Mbakwe was rumored to transfer after Tom Crean left for Indiana, but he reaffirmed his commitment back in May to stay with Marquette.  Last year he was out for most of the season due to a leg injury, but came back early after medical clearance from MU's doctors.  He was raw, but showed signs of rebounding presence in several games.   It appeared he would be a significant contributor to MU this season as the squad attempts to go for four straight NCAA berths.

What is even more stunning is the reason Mbakwe gave for leaving.  According to Coach Williams, the reason he left was to go the junior college route.  Strange indeed.  I'm sure more information will come about in the coming days.

This leaves Williams in a tough spot.  Things had been going very smoothly for him the last 3 months, but now this last second decision has caught him and the MU faithful off guard.

Todd Rosiak's blog with this entry can be found here.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/08/24/mbakwe-quits-team.aspx

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/08/trevor-mbakwe-transfers-from-marquette.html

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
What will Mbakwe really do?
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26:07 AM »
Junior College?!!!  I have heard from legitimate sources that Trevor plans spend some time on some of his pet projects, instead of basketball.  He actually plans to 1) make peace in the Middle East, 2) Solve the world hunger situation, and 3) develop an energy source so cheap and clean that we will not need to import any oil.  He expects to have these projects wrapped up by next summer.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 06:26:19 AM »
Strange, why did he wait until now to advise the team he was leaving.  Why not right after the spring semester was over and give the coaching staff time to replace him.  He probably knew back then, or at least had some idea he wanted to leave. 

If Hayward gets in foul trouble or even needs a bench rest, good grief, Patrick Hazel as a back-up PF and Chris Otule as a back up center.  Jeff Adrian, Dejuan Blair, Harangody, Dujuan Summers and other BE frontliners will be a real test. This team has really needed a true PF and I hope Buzz can come through for 2009.  Maybe Maymon can grow a few more inches.

For next year, now it's Matthews, James, McNeal, Mbakwe and Burke all gone.  Wow.     

feedback