Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Time and Eras Pass  (Read 8805 times)

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
Time and Eras Pass
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:30:57 PM »
I read an old article today about the old Avalanche Bar which I can unequivocally say was the best bar in the Marquette walking distance area in the early 80's. I remember Farley, Saturday post rugby games and 75 cent Red, White and Blues. I forwarded the article to a younger generation friend who just couldn't understand how broken beer bottle glass, naked bar slides and cheap bar stools could ever help any MU student 'get his education at the 'Lanche'.  I know it's a stretch but it reminds me of the argument of the impact of Kevin O'Neill on MU BBall. I went to an MU game at DePaul in the mid to late 90's. KO was the coach with a talented group of freshman recruits. I will never understand how he convinced that talent to go to MU. MU BBall was basically dead at this time. Very few MU fans at the post game party. KO took the time to talk to me and all five fans at that party. He was on fire. I knew we had a savior. Not too many years later, MU is beating #1 Kentucky to get to Sweet 16. I can unequivocally say KO saved MU basketball and my generation can attest to that. Time and generations pass.....we can all enjoy what we believe in our minds to be the truth. To me, its the sweet memory of the 'Lanche' and the swearing spitfire of KO. I'm forever grateful for both! Now we have the fortune of reaping the benefits from Tom Cream and now my new favorite ...coach Buzz. Go MU !!!

leever

• All American
Re: Time and Eras Pass
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »
I read an old article today about the old Avalanche Bar which I can unequivocally say was the best bar in the Marquette walking distance area in the early 80's. I remember Farley, Saturday post rugby games and 75 cent Red, White and Blues. I forwarded the article to a younger generation friend who just couldn't understand how broken beer bottle glass, naked bar slides and cheap bar stools could ever help any MU student 'get his education at the 'Lanche'.  I know it's a stretch but it reminds me of the argument of the impact of Kevin O'Neill on MU BBall. I went to an MU game at DePaul in the mid to late 90's. KO was the coach with a talented group of freshman recruits. I will never understand how he convinced that talent to go to MU. MU BBall was basically dead at this time. Very few MU fans at the post game party. KO took the time to talk to me and all five fans at that party. He was on fire. I knew we had a savior. Not too many years later, MU is beating #1 Kentucky to get to Sweet 16. I can unequivocally say KO saved MU basketball and my generation can attest to that. Time and generations pass.....we can all enjoy what we believe in our minds to be the truth. To me, its the sweet memory of the 'Lanche' and the swearing spitfire of KO. I'm forever grateful for both! Now we have the fortune of reaping the benefits from Tom Cream and now my new favorite ...coach Buzz. Go MU !!!

I think you may have been overcharged for the Red White and Blue beer!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »
I think you may have been overcharged for the Red White and Blue beer!
Exactly!! 50 cents!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »
I read an old article today about the old Avalanche Bar which I can unequivocally say was the best bar in the Marquette walking distance area in the early 80's. I remember Farley, Saturday post rugby games and 75 cent Red, White and Blues. I forwarded the article to a younger generation friend who just couldn't understand how broken beer bottle glass, naked bar slides and cheap bar stools could ever help any MU student 'get his education at the 'Lanche'.  I know it's a stretch but it reminds me of the argument of the impact of Kevin O'Neill on MU BBall. I went to an MU game at DePaul in the mid to late 90's. KO was the coach with a talented group of freshman recruits. I will never understand how he convinced that talent to go to MU. MU BBall was basically dead at this time. Very few MU fans at the post game party. KO took the time to talk to me and all five fans at that party. He was on fire. I knew we had a savior. Not too many years later, MU is beating #1 Kentucky to get to Sweet 16. I can unequivocally say KO saved MU basketball and my generation can attest to that. Time and generations pass.....we can all enjoy what we believe in our minds to be the truth. To me, its the sweet memory of the 'Lanche' and the swearing spitfire of KO. I'm forever grateful for both! Now we have the fortune of reaping the benefits from Tom Cream and now my new favorite ...coach Buzz. Go MU !!!

Kentucky was not the #1 team in the country.  They were a #3 seed in that region.  Marquette was a #6.  I can't remember who the overall #1 seed was, but the #1 seed in that region was the Glenn Robinson-lead Purdue Boilermakers.  They lost to the #2 seed Duke in the E8...who beat MU in the S16.

But yeah...the rest is spot on.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:05:11 AM by Terror Skink »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:04:26 AM »
 KO was never coach at MU in the late 90's.    Love where your head is at, though. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:11:26 AM »
Exactly!! 50 cents!!

35 cents when I was there. Wretched stuff, but had to buy it ... and smash it after the last swig.

OK, so the OP's memory was a little off as to KO and a few other things, but his point is a good one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:05:18 AM »
Loved the tale. Details be damned.  but I can't imagine paying 75 cents for a Red, White & Blue.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
How about $1 imports?    Moosehead, Labatt's, Corona, St. Pauli's, Heineken, etc. for a buck.    Wednesday night at the Ardmore.   Mmmmmm.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
It was 15 cents when I was at MU. We had a classmate whose dad worked at Miller; got a case for 2 bucks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »
How about $1 imports?    Moosehead, Labatt's, Corona, St. Pauli's, Heineken, etc. for a buck.    Wednesday night at the Ardmore.   Mmmmmm.

1MP0Rt N1T3!!!111!!!

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
35 cents when I was there. Wretched stuff, but had to buy it ... and smash it after the last swig.

OK, so the OP's memory was a little off as to KO and a few other things, but his point is a good one.

MU82, we are the same era.  Can you relate to this?

Went to a game a year or two after graduating, 83-84ish.  After the game we went to the Lanche.   Finished my 1st beer, smashed it, and was promptly thrown out.... WTF.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
How about $1 imports?    Moosehead, Labatt's, Corona, St. Pauli's, Heineken, etc. for a buck.    Wednesday night at the Ardmore.   Mmmmmm.

I think Budweiser was considered an import in Milwaukee when I was in school.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »
It was 15 cents when I was at MU. We had a classmate whose dad worked at Miller; got a case for 2 bucks.

15 cents is what I remember. In fact we had Old Milwaukee in the pop machine at our frat house for 15 cents.  Until the Pepsi guy took it out and said it was illegal to vend beer!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »
This thread is the ultimate "In My Day" one-uppance thread  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »

Did I tell you I walked 2 miles uphill both ways from 29th and Highland everyday?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
not on campus but I remember $1.50 shots of Chevas' Royal Salute at the Landmark 1850 near the airport

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 12:26:32 AM »

Oh yeah ... I bet I can come up with a better one-uppance thread!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 12:28:04 AM »
MU82, we are the same era.  Can you relate to this?

Went to a game a year or two after graduating, 83-84ish.  After the game we went to the Lanche.   Finished my 1st beer, smashed it, and was promptly thrown out.... WTF.

If only you had another one to smash over the head of the dude who threw you out!

I liked the 'Lanche when my boyz and I drank on campus, but we often went a little off the beaten track, especially our jr. and sr. years.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 08:25:40 AM »
My vitals:

Fall of '93-Spring of '97
KO for my freshman year
$1.25 RWB's

FLM (Favorite 'Lance Moment):

Drinking at the there my junior year after we beat #3 Memphis on CBS.  More alums than students, just packed.  It's about 4pm and sun is coming in thru those dirty translucent windows.  I knew MU Hoops was a special thing because I was surrounded by alums of all ages in absolute heaven celebrating a huge January ('96) game.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
I was in grad school 1972 - and stayed through 1978. Lanche: 15 cent schooners. Ardmore 25 cent schooners. Both 16 ounces. Ardmirevhad a mug keyboard too for a short while. One dollar went a long way at these fine establishments.

Fast forward. Stopped in what was the Ardmore last year for a beer before the game. $4 for a miller lite in the bottle?!  What???  That used to be 16 sixteen ounce schooners!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:12:29 PM by Daniel »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »
My vitals:

Fall of '93-Spring of '97
KO for my freshman year
$1.25 RWB's

FLM (Favorite 'Lance Moment):

Drinking at the there my junior year after we beat #3 Memphis on CBS.  More alums than students, just packed.  It's about 4pm and sun is coming in thru those dirty translucent windows.  I knew MU Hoops was a special thing because I was surrounded by alums of all ages in absolute heaven celebrating a huge January ('96) game.
That description makes me thirsty.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 01:03:50 PM »
How about the $2 all you can drink happy hours at the Green Tree? Courtesy of whatever student organization was having a fundraiser. Too bad the beer was always Old Style.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 08:49:28 AM »
I started humming the song "Glory Days" as I read this.  Good stuff.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
I fondly remember the semester or so that I attended the Lanche. I still curse the idiots that got into the fight on its last night - it gave the school that list little bit needed to shut the whole thing down. Or at least that's the way it seemed at the time.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
If only you had another one to smash over the head of the dude who threw you out!

I liked the 'Lanche when my boyz and I drank on campus, but we often went a little off the beaten track, especially our jr. and sr. years.

Short Exit.  I walked back in about 5 minutes later.  But, the audacity...throwing me outta the frickin 'Lanche.