collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Most often, my first cup of coffee every morning is made:

At a local coffeeshop or bistro
At a chain (Sbux, DD, Caribou, etc.)
At work (or in the building where I work)
At a gas station or convenience store
At someplace else
By a co-worker, intern, secretary, boss, etc.
By myself or my spouse
By a barista
By whoever makes the coffee or someone else (i.e. I don't know)
With a fancy commercial-grade espresso machine or brewer
With a French Press
With a cold-brewer
With a Keurig
With a traditional drip brewer
With something else
At home (my bad)

Author Topic: How do you Coffee?  (Read 8636 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: How do you Coffee?
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
Also, really enjoy Cuban coffee, but it's not the easiest to find in Kentucky.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »
Well, when I lived in Chicago - really in Chicago - for 16 years, I'd say "Chicago." I like to think that if I lived in the Naperville, I would have said, "In the suburbs of Chicago" or something, but maybe I wouldn't have.

Now that I live outside of Charlotte, I get asked that a lot in casual conversation. I usually say, "I'm originally from Connecticut, but I moved here from Chicago."

My favorite where are you from story:

I was on a flight outside the U.S. about 25 years ago and the guy next starts this conversation (as I remember it):

"So where are you from originally?"

"A town in Connecticut called Milford."

"Oh. Where's that?"

"It's on the Long Island Sound between Bridgeport and New Haven."

"I don't know where those are."

"Bridgeport is about an hour, hour and a half, from New York City."

"Oh! New York! Do you know (and he gives me some name)?"

Like you, I give my hometown in Connecticut and when they are confused I just say "I'm 10 minutes from Yale University."

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
Hope you all like your convenient coffee with a heaping spoonful of environmental guilt. Probably not new news to most of you, but the inventor of the Kcup regrets creating them.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/the-abominable-k-cup-coffee-pod-environment-problem/386501/

I'll admit I'm drinking a Kcup as I type this, although I try to avoid them most of the time.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2017, 10:52:18 AM »
Hope you all like your convenient coffee with a heaping spoonful of environmental guilt. Probably not new news to most of you, but the inventor of the Kcup regrets creating them.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/03/the-abominable-k-cup-coffee-pod-environment-problem/386501/

I'll admit I'm drinking a Kcup as I type this, although I try to avoid them most of the time.
Instead of buying the overpriced and environmentally unfriendly k-cups, I buy my own coffee and a reusable pod that goes into the machine. problem solved.

RideMyBuycks

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 11:22:31 AM »
Green Mountain Coffee (Keurig owned) offers a few varieties that come in recyclable pods if you dig their brews.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
Grind-and-brew drip brewer using either Collectocash or Valentine coffee beans.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »
Grind-and-brew drip brewer using either Collectmycash or Valentine coffee beans.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »
Like you, I give my hometown in Connecticut and when they are confused I just say "I'm 10 minutes from Yale University."

"Boulder Junction".
<blank look>
"Minocqua".
Oh, yeah, Minocqua.
Even from Sconnies.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »
Also, really enjoy Cuban coffee, but it's not the easiest to find in Kentucky.

That's a tough one outside of Miami (or Cuba).  We recently got a place here in MN that serves Cafe Cubano, and I was skeptical until I learned it's owned by a guy from Cuba whose mom makes the food and coffee.  Turns out to be the best I've had since Miami many years back.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 05:27:15 PM »
That's a tough one outside of Miami (or Cuba).  We recently got a place here in MN that serves Cafe Cubano, and I was skeptical until I learned it's owned by a guy from Cuba whose mom makes the food and coffee.  Turns out to be the best I've had since Miami many years back.
I can speak with some authority as I married into a Cuban family that lives in South FL.  They drink this:  http://www.cafebustelo.com/en

The website has a feature that allows you to find retailers near your ZIP code.  I searched my ZIP (northern suburban Atlanta) and found it carried in Kroger, Publix, Walgreens and more. 

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »
I can speak with some authority as I married into a Cuban family that lives in South FL.  They drink this:  http://www.cafebustelo.com/en

The website has a feature that allows you to find retailers near your ZIP code.  I searched my ZIP (northern suburban Atlanta) and found it carried in Kroger, Publix, Walgreens and more.

Walgreens, Target, CVS, Walmart...I was expecting it to be harder to find. Thanks!

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2017, 11:32:07 PM »
Black filtered coffee is absolutely the worst. Same with Americanos. My taste buds separate the water from the grounds... both are undrinkable for me.

Recently discovered my go-to order is a dry cappuccino with just a little bit of sugar. The really good independent shops nail this.

At home I'll just make a cortado with my wife's Nespresso machine, milk and the microwave if I'm exhausted before work. No caffeine on the weekends if I can help it. Side benefit is the first sip Monday is like a turbocharger.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2017, 10:55:42 AM »

At home I'll just make a cortado with my wife's Nespresso machine, milk and the microwave if I'm exhausted before work. No caffeine on the weekends if I can help it. Side benefit is the first sip Monday is like a turbocharger.

Don't you get caffeine withdrawal headaches on the weekends?  I used to drink 4-5 cups per day at the office, but never on weekends, and would have a raging headache by Sunday morning.  I thought the cause might be being at home with the kids, until I recognized it as caffeine withdrawal. 
Ludum habemus.

feedback