collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Brewers and Cubs Need New Managers  (Read 5129 times)

chapman

• All American
The Brewers and Cubs Need New Managers
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »
Brewers fan, but might as well make one thread since the Cubs are in the same boat of having a dismal year and needing a new manager.

Who do you want?  Who do you think it'll be?

For the Brewers, I want Don Money.  But I think it'll be someone terrible, because Doug Melvin is in charge of the hiring process.

copious1218

• All American
Re: The Brewers and Cubs Need New Managers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:21 PM »
Brewers fan, but might as well make one thread since the Cubs are in the same boat of having a dismal year and needing a new manager.

Who do you want?  Who do you think it'll be?

For the Brewers, I want Don Money.  But I think it'll be someone terrible, because Doug Melvin is in charge of the hiring process.

As a Cubs fan, I WANT Quade to stay, THINK Sandberg will get it, and am AFRAID Hendry will do something stupid like hire Eric Wedge.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:31:22 PM »
Its about players, not managers. Managers have little impact relative to the players they have.  Put a good team together, win games, the manager is "good."

For selfish/personal reasons, I would like to see Pat Listach get one of the 2 jobs, either Brewers or Cubs. Or any of the openings, frankly.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:34:14 PM by GOMU1104 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:47 PM »
I don't think managers can necessarily make players better, but bad ones can certainly make a team worse.  Macha was a bad manager in that I don't think he ever clicked with the players.

I hope they keep Sveum.  He did a fine job when he was interim.  But please...no one like Bob Melvin.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »
But please...no one like Bob Melvin.

Oh, forgot about Melvin, add him to my sentence involving Wedge - I don't want either with the Cubs.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:54:37 PM »
Brewers had their chance with a young team, and had to find someone that would click with the youngsters and really glue the whole thing together.

To the team that did things like Prince's bomb celebration at home they added - Ken Macha?

Now with the team in a lot of turnover, they look again for a manager, only this time they don't know what the team he will inherit will look like.  I guess another recycle job.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 05:40:36 AM »
Macha's personality was just like the personality of his boss, Melvin, dead plant life.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 07:50:56 AM »
I am hoping Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams continue to fight and decide they can't stand each other any longer, and Ozzie ends up in Milwaukee.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 07:59:47 AM »
I am hoping Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams continue to fight and decide they can't stand each other any longer, and Ozzie ends up in Milwaukee.

If that happens, Ozzie will be the new Marlins manager.  He is the Marlin's #1 target. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 08:45:54 AM »
You guys can have Leyland if you want him.   He likes playing young guys and managing NL style ball.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:42:28 PM »
For the brewers I'd like to see:
Willie Randolph
Paul Molitor
Robin Yount
Dale Sveum
Don Money

Sveum was great as interim manager, he'd probably do well again, but anyone on that list, with Milwaukee ties would be great.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
Willie Randolph
Paul Molitor
Robin Yount
Dale Sveum
Don Money

Sveum was great as interim manager, he'd probably do well again, but anyone on that list, with Milwaukee ties would be great.

Not so sure Randolph works in that clubhouse.

Molitor has never managed, correct?

Not sure Yount wants to manage, could be a bench coach if Bob Melvin is hired.

Sveum...went 7-5 as interim manager, I dont know if that qualifies as "great."  If not for a couple of Ryan Braun HRs, they dont even make the playoffs.

They already announced that Money will be staying in the farm system.

I really think the next manager comes from outside of the Brewer "family."  And theres nothing wrong with that.

Again, as I said before, its about the players, not the manager.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:09:13 PM by GOMU1104 »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:24:16 PM »
I don't think managers can necessarily make players better, but bad ones can certainly make a team worse.  Macha was a bad manager in that I don't think he ever clicked with the players.

But please...no one like Bob Melvin.

Macha just was not a "players coach". He made several statements about just "coming into work and taking care of business and not necessarily there to make friends"...I just don't think that works with today's players. Baseball season lasts FOR-E-VER (sandlot reference) so the coach has to be someone that the players want around...so that the players can at least respect.

Ryan Braun was quoted a few days ago saying that Macha was "For the most part, respected"...aka...(IMO) quite a few players didn't care for him.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
As a Cubs fan, I WANT Quade to stay, THINK Sandberg will get it, and am AFRAID Hendry will do something stupid like hire Eric Wedge.

Here's my recent Ryne Sandberg story.  The All-Star game was out here in Anaheim this year.  Sandberg was here to do his face time stuff like many of the old timers.  He's at a Benihana in Anaheim where he meets up with a friend of mine and his son at the the dinner table.  First time all of them are meeting.  My friend's kid is 10 years old and my son's best friend.

So Sandberg introduces himself to the kid as Ryne Sandberg, HOF 23.  For the next hour, he tells the kid the term HOF 23 no less than 15 times.  Of course, the 10 year old has no clue who Ryne Sandberg is, let alone WTF HOF 23 means but he's a good soldier and nods the entire dinner every time Ryno gives the speech.

I would have loved for the 10 year old to pause after all of it and simply say, "So Mr. Sandberg, is it true your wife banged all of the Cubs or just Rafael?" 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
Willie Randolph
Paul Molitor
Robin Yount
Dale Sveum
Don Money

See, I don't really like the idea of Molitor or Yount.  The whole "Milwaukee ties" things reminds me of the Packers pre-Ron Wolf when they hired the likes of Starr and Gregg.  Not good.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 07:00:10 PM »
Usually HOF players put the year they went into the hall, not their jersey number.

Was ryno refering to himself has hof 23?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Cubs fan, wouldn't mind Quade staying, though I think Joe Girardi is a realistic possibility. Sounds like he's on the outs with the Yankees, and there are rumors he wants to be closer to his family. At the same time, I'm not really sure we're ready for a manager like Girardi. This team needs to be rebuilt, and I'm not sure he wants to wait for that to happen.

I heard one rumor recently that if the Cubs do go for Sandburg, Girardi, or pretty much anyone outside of Quade, it's possible that he'll head north to Milwaukee. Might be interesting to see the Cubs' interim manager take over at Miller Park, would certainly help the rivalry.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Usually HOF players put the year they went into the hall, not their jersey number.

Was ryno refering to himself has hof 23?

ZFB is right on. How about that! I call bunk on Chicos' story. I have friends in Des Moines who worked with Sandberg in varying capacities last year and that story goes against everything they've ever said about him...and one of them is a Sox fan who hates the guy!

Also, just to "go all Chicos on you" (which means to take things very literally just be annoying), if the kid had no idea who Ryne Sandberg was, then how would he have known about Ryno's ex banging his teammates?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 07:33:44 AM »
Might be interesting to see the Cubs' interim manager take over at Miller Park, would certainly help the rivalry.

I don't see why. Nobody in eaither city gives a rip about Quade. If Sandberg went to Milwaukee, that mhght be a little bit of a thing. Then again, I have no interest in Sandberg. Managing in AAA and managing in MLB are light years apart, and I just don't see him being terribly successful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 07:59:50 AM »
I heard one rumor recently that if the Cubs do go for Sandburg, Girardi, or pretty much anyone outside of Quade, it's possible that he'll head north to Milwaukee. Might be interesting to see the Cubs' interim manager take over at Miller Park, would certainly help the rivalry.

I'm not sure "We hired away your interim manager!!!" is much of a trash talking point....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
The thing with Quade is, he was a complete non-factor in many people's managerial discussions, but now that the Cubs played inspired ball to end the season, people are drooling over him.  I personally don't put much weight into it seeing as the Cubs were already eliminated and playing a young lineup.  Then again, its as relevant as minor league success.  We'll see.  However, I just don't see Girardi coming to Chicago.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »
The thing with Quade is, he was a complete non-factor in many people's managerial discussions, but now that the Cubs played inspired ball to end the season, people are drooling over him.  I personally don't put much weight into it seeing as the Cubs were already eliminated and playing a young lineup.  Then again, its as relevant as minor league success.  We'll see.  However, I just don't see Girardi coming to Chicago.

If Lou had simply retired and the Cubs were legit contenders, I think Girardi would jump at the chance to manage the Cubs. Considering the team is going young while also waiting out some bad contracts, not to mention that they passed over Girardi when they hired Lou, I just don't see it working out.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »
Hot rumor for the Brewers job is now Brenley.  I liked him for the job over Macha. He's won, and he knows the division.