[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129363 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #9475 on: January 13, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »
And now researchers at tOSU have identified two new strains in Ohio, at least one of which appears more contagious than the original virus.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/ohio-researchers-say-theyve-identified-two-new-covid-strains-likely-originating-in-the-us.html

Edit: I'm gonna start a new thread on this....

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9476 on: January 13, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »
We usually vacation in Jamaica in February but passed on that this year mainly because of the constantly changing restrictions. For months now JA has required all travelers to upload a negative PCR test dated less than 10 days before arrival, doable but could be a PITA.

Now Canada (and it's rumored soon to be followed by the US) requires that you submit a negative PCR test less than 3 days before arrival back in CA meaning that you will have to get tested in the country you travel to. In JA you have to either go to Mobay or Kingston for a PCR test costing about $200 US. Canada has stated that if you aren't tested before checking in you will have to reschedule your flight until you have a negative test. If there are no tests available where you traveled to you must quarantine at a Gov't. approved location for 14 days upon return.
And as of January 26 this is a requirement to travel to the US as well. https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0112-negative-covid-19-air-passengers.html

Update on how well this is working in Jamaica, there are only 2 labs in the country that do PCR tests and Canadians found out this week that the labs are unable to take more appointments before February. Approximately 2000 Canadians were to return home this week but might be stranded.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9477 on: January 13, 2021, 03:39:43 PM »
Well, if you're going to be stranded...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9478 on: January 13, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »

No chit, hey. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9479 on: January 13, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »

Ya mon!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #9480 on: January 13, 2021, 03:53:29 PM »
Some of those AI resorts are pretty costly, having to extend a stay can add up pretty quickly.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9481 on: January 13, 2021, 03:58:45 PM »
Some of those AI resorts are pretty costly, having to extend a stay can add up pretty quickly.

No kidding. I was looking at a trip to one of the Sandals resorts and when the price quote came up I thought it was really pricey, but doable for two people. Then I realized it was the price per person....

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9482 on: January 13, 2021, 04:30:04 PM »

No kidding. I was looking at a trip to one of the Sandals resorts Hedonism and when the price quote came up I thought it was really pricey, but doable for two people. Then I realized it was the price per person....

Spelling error.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9483 on: January 13, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »
Spelling error.

Good catch! Damn spell-check is always messing up my posts....

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9484 on: January 13, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »
We usually vacation in Jamaica in February but passed on that this year mainly because of the constantly changing restrictions. For months now JA has required all travelers to upload a negative PCR test dated less than 10 days before arrival, doable but could be a PITA.

Do you stay on the resort the entire time you are there or do you venture out? Some areas are pretty rough with the beggars and the hustlers.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9485 on: January 13, 2021, 05:12:02 PM »
Do you stay on the resort the entire time you are there or do you venture out? Some areas are pretty rough with the beggars and the hustlers.

That's one of the main reasons you go to an AI.  You don't have to leave the property, and at least when I went to an AI in Jamaica, non-guests aren't allowed on the property or its beach.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #9486 on: January 13, 2021, 07:17:48 PM »
Spelling error.

The wild women, the rippin and the tearin.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9487 on: January 13, 2021, 08:57:00 PM »

Good catch! Damn spell-check is always messing up my posts....

Just be sure to use incognito.   Dont want to ruin the wife's surprise gift. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9488 on: January 13, 2021, 10:03:33 PM »
Just be sure to use incognito.   Dont want to ruin the wife's surprise gift.

The wife?!?

Oh, yeah...right. 😉

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9489 on: January 14, 2021, 08:38:00 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

Happy Anniversary, what a year it’s been. :'(

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9490 on: January 14, 2021, 08:49:21 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

Happy Anniversary, what a year it’s been. :'(

And a year later, the WHO investigators finally get into Wuhan and are already encountering obstacles.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/14/world/covid19-coronavirus#a-who-team-is-in-china-to-investigate-the-virus-its-already-meeting-obstacles

I don't agree with POTUS' use of the term 'China virus' to advance a political narrative, and whatever the Chinese did certainly doesn't excuse the US' haphazard national 'response' to the pandemic, but the Chinese are worthy of harsh criticism for the secrecy surrounding the pandemic's origin. 

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9491 on: January 14, 2021, 08:59:17 AM »

And a year later, the WHO investigators finally get into Wuhan and are already encountering obstacles.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/14/world/covid19-coronavirus#a-who-team-is-in-china-to-investigate-the-virus-its-already-meeting-obstacles

I don't agree with POTUS' use of the term 'China virus' to advance a political narrative, and whatever the Chinese did certainly doesn't excuse the US' haphazard national 'response' to the pandemic, but the Chinese are worthy of harsh criticism for the secrecy surrounding the pandemic's origin.

Interesting piece (incredibly long) in the new Yorker a couple weeks back about the increasing likelihood that it was an unintentional leak out of the wuhan lab that started this whole thing as well.  What was widely considered and condemned as conspiracy talk just a few kk the ago is now the “Vegas favorite” as actually being the truth.

Why do you mean by political narrative?  How is naming it the Chinese virus any different then calling a virus that originated near the Ebola river, the Ebola virus? 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9492 on: January 14, 2021, 09:09:38 AM »
Interesting piece (incredibly long) in the new Yorker a couple weeks back about the increasing likelihood that it was an unintentional leak out of the wuhan lab that started this whole thing as well.  What was widely considered and condemned as conspiracy talk just a few kk the ago is now the “Vegas favorite” as actually being the truth.

Why do you mean by political narrative?  How is naming it the Chinese virus any different then calling a virus that originated near the Ebola river, the Ebola virus?

Because Ebola is actually named Ebola while the "China virus" is an active attempt to place blame on China and the Chinese to spread it. It also creates racial tensions as opposed to being named after a river which would at worst make you not want to be by that river.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9493 on: January 14, 2021, 09:15:05 AM »

He is trying to deflect blame for the Administration's failure onto China. Why do you think he is the one world leader calling it the China virus, while all the other world leaders and scientific experts are calling it the 'novel coronavirus' for 'SARS-Cov2'? Do you think he's going to call the new strain discovered in the US the 'America virus'? If not, why not?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9494 on: January 14, 2021, 09:16:04 AM »
Leave it to Chicos to still bring up the "what's wrong with China virus?" question...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9495 on: January 14, 2021, 09:29:04 AM »

He is trying to deflect blame for the Administration's failure onto China. Why do you think he is the one world leader calling it the China virus, while all the other world leaders and scientific experts are calling it the 'novel coronavirus' for 'SARS-Cov2'? Do you think he's going to call the new strain discovered in the US the 'America virus'? If not, why not?

I mean he called it the Chinese virus from day 1, long before we knew if the administration was going to handle things terribly or not but I see and understand your and GE’s point. 

Are we not on this very board calling the Ohio strain, THE “Ohio strain”?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #9496 on: January 14, 2021, 09:45:36 AM »
I mean he called it the Chinese virus from day 1,

He's also an idiot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9497 on: January 14, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »
I mean he called it the Chinese virus from day 1, long before we knew if the administration was going to handle things terribly or not but I see and understand your and GE’s point. 

Are we not on this very board calling the Ohio strain, THE “Ohio strain”?

It is a new strain, so yes we are calling it the Ohio strain.

But that doesn't answer my question: Do you think Trump will call it the 'America virus'? Or the 'America strain'? Or the 'Ohio strain'? If not, why not?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9498 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:07 AM »

It is a new strain, so yes we are calling it the Ohio strain.

But that doesn't answer my question: Do you think Trump will call it the 'America virus'? Or the 'America strain'? Or the 'Ohio strain'? If not, why not?

Admit it, you hate Ohio!!!!

No I don’t think Trump will call it that cause I’m fairly certain he doesn’t even know the new strain exists.  Guy has exactly been in tune with reality for a couple months now.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #9499 on: January 14, 2021, 09:53:44 AM »
He's also an idiot.

Sure, not disagreeing that a good chunk of the country find him repulsive.  Just arguing that by following precedence of calling a virus by the geographical point of origin is not necessarily motivated by anything other then that.