[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129161 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2550 on: March 27, 2020, 05:03:21 PM »
I didn't see this on here, but this article on how Dyson designed a production-ready ventilator in ten days was posted by a super-lefty Facebook friend of mine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/tech/dyson-ventilators-coronavirus/index.html

I didn't have the heart to tell her that she has capitalism to thank for that.
Oh silly, us leftys like capitalism, just not unregulated disaster capitalism.

In other potentially good news--an oldie but goody, mentioned here previously, using the anti-bodies of recovered patients.  Tiny, tiny study, but this technique has been around for ever.

Treatment of 5 Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 With Convalescent Plasma
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763983?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=content-shareicons&utm_content=article_engagement&utm_medium=social&utm_term=032720#.Xn5LBtcTflo.twitter

Findings  In this uncontrolled case series of 5 critically ill patients with COVID-19 and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), administration of convalescent plasma containing neutralizing antibody was followed by an improvement in clinical status.

Meaning  These preliminary findings raise the possibility that convalescent plasma transfusion may be helpful in the treatment of critically ill patients with COVID-19 and ARDS, but this approach requires evaluation in randomized clinical trials.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2551 on: March 27, 2020, 05:13:08 PM »

In other potentially good news--an oldie but goody, mentioned here previously, using the anti-bodies of recovered patients.  Tiny, tiny study, but this technique has been around for ever.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763983?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=content-shareicons&utm_content=article_engagement&utm_medium=social&utm_term=032720#.Xn5LBtcTflo.twitter

Findings  In this uncontrolled case series of 5 critically ill patients with COVID-19 and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), administration of convalescent plasma containing neutralizing antibody was followed by an improvement in clinical status.

Meaning  These preliminary findings raise the possibility that convalescent plasma transfusion may be helpful in the treatment of critically ill patients with COVID-19 and ARDS, but this approach requires evaluation in randomized clinical trials.

Yep. It'll take a while, but Mayo, Johns Hopkins and others are working with Amazon Web Services to look into this as a therapeutic option for COVID-19.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2020/03/24/mayo-clinic-amazon-join-project-to-fight-covid-19.html

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2552 on: March 27, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
It sounds like I was right about negotiations with FEMA not going well and Trump wanting to expedite the process.  ;)

And of course you were wrong (again) as to why negotiations weren’t going well, and, that Trump wanted to expedite the process. He could have invoked the Defense Production Act weeks and weeks and weeks ago when it was suggested and requested by many. I must have missed that part in your post.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2553 on: March 27, 2020, 05:20:16 PM »
And of course you were wrong (again) as to why negotiations weren’t going well, and, that Trump wanted to expedite the process. He could have invoked the Defense Production Act weeks and weeks and weeks ago when it was suggested and requested by many. I must have missed that part in your post.

I agree he could have and probably should have invoked it sooner. He's a very pro-business guy and probably wanted to show that businesses would step up on their own without being forced to do so by Uncle Sam. That didn't work out, and it ended up costing us precious time.

I'm still sticking by my comments on the reason the conversations weren't going well, based on the sources you shared, which did seem to cover the story pretty well. And in all seriousness, the reason why so many of my posts have phrases like "I think" or "it sounds like" or something similar are because I fully acknowledge that I don't know all the details. I can read a few articles to get myself familiar with a situation, but any conclusion I draw is still pretty likely to not include all the real facts. So to me, based on what I read, it does sound like FEMA played a big role in not wanting to commit to GM. I'm not being snarky with that, I'm honestly saying that's how I've interpreted the sources you've shared. I even shared the quotes that stood out to me as being the most important in the coverage.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2554 on: March 27, 2020, 05:30:54 PM »
Yah capitalism!

Coronavirus: Teenage boy whose death was linked to COVID-19 turned away from urgent care for not having insurance
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-teenager-death-california-health-insurance-care-emergency-room-covid-19-a9429946.html

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2555 on: March 27, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »
I agree he could have and probably should have invoked it sooner. He's a very pro-business guy and probably wanted to show that businesses would step up on their own without being forced to do so by Uncle Sam. That didn't work out, and it ended up costing us precious time.

I'm still sticking by my comments on the reason the conversations weren't going well, based on the sources you shared, which did seem to cover the story pretty well. And in all seriousness, the reason why so many of my posts have phrases like "I think" or "it sounds like" or something similar are because I fully acknowledge that I don't know all the details. I can read a few articles to get myself familiar with a situation, but any conclusion I draw is still pretty likely to not include all the real facts. So to me, based on what I read, it does sound like FEMA played a big role in not wanting to commit to GM. I'm not being snarky with that, I'm honestly saying that's how I've interpreted the sources you've shared. I even shared the quotes that stood out to me as being the most important in the coverage.

More spin than Rafa Nadal.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2556 on: March 27, 2020, 05:41:24 PM »
I didn't see this on here, but this article on how Dyson designed a production-ready ventilator in ten days was posted by a super-lefty Facebook friend of mine.

What an incredibly ignorant statement.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2557 on: March 27, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »
More spin than Rafa Nadal.

I read your sources and shared the quotes from those sources that helped form my position. If you feel like that's spin, then I guess we'll agree to disagree. No biggie.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2558 on: March 27, 2020, 05:48:45 PM »
I know many of you here don’t realize this, but what has been at times, a pretty decent and informed thread, there are so many here who have successfully turned this back into the once “forbidden politics” such that it has probably turned away some very informed opinions, knowledge and additions to a constructive debate. 

Those of you who are continuing to use this to “kick the cat” from the outcome of one November 3 2016 are driving a lot of good people, thus good contributions to this topic

Although I have peeked behind the curtain here from time to time, trying to add my thoughts and observations, the few political jabs I have added were to try to balance some of the innuendo here.  My bad, as I get caught up into the trap of a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.
don't...don't don't don't don't

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2559 on: March 27, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
Oh silly, us leftys like capitalism, just not unregulated disaster capitalism.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.21.990770v1.full.pdf

I posted this earlier today. But I like this a lot in regards to progress to a cure/treatment. The combination of these two says that, antibody treatment can work, and we have a library of antibodies we can screen through to see which work best. The advantage is that these antibodies can be prepared commercially, on large scale, for widespread usage worldwide, without requiring plasma from cured individuals.

This could be ready for patients in 6-months, China may be able to do it in 3.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2560 on: March 27, 2020, 06:14:58 PM »
I read your sources and shared the quotes from those sources that helped form my position. If you feel like that's spin, then I guess we'll agree to disagree. No biggie.

Opinions are something of which people can agree or disagree. Facts (on several topics) are not. Muddy the waters just enough. If you feel like, sounds like, no biggie.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 06:21:19 PM by shoothoops »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2561 on: March 27, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »
I know many of you here don’t realize this, but what has been at times, a pretty decent and informed thread, there are so many here who have successfully turned this back into the once “forbidden politics” such that it has probably turned away some very informed opinions, knowledge and additions to a constructive debate. 

I agree.  And frankly, I we (it's not just me) don't have the time to moderate it all.  So folks, please stop.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2562 on: March 27, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »
I’m confused. When people in a position of authority said stupid and completely probably  false we shouldn’t comment as it is political?
Seems facts are now a partisan thing.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2563 on: March 27, 2020, 06:59:39 PM »

"If he dies, he dies." -Ivan Drago 1985

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #2564 on: March 27, 2020, 07:27:22 PM »
I've thought the same. Both Trump and Pence have been unbelievably lucky after multiple exposures and I don't know if Biden has confirmed exposure but sounds like Rand Paul made sure every Senator did. Have to imagine the luck would run out as the schedule got more and more intense with meetings and events

My money's on DJT getting it first, followed shortly thereafter by his cabinet and GOP leadership team.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2565 on: March 27, 2020, 07:41:30 PM »
Scott Gottlieb, MD
@ScottGottliebMD
·
13m
This is GAME CHANGER. Abbott to market, starting next week, a fast point-of-care #coronavirus test, delivering positive results in 5min and negative results in 13min. Will deliver 50K tests/day to start. Kudos to Abbott and FDA’s Jeff Shuren and team at CDRH who are in the fight.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2566 on: March 27, 2020, 08:26:33 PM »
Scott Gottlieb, MD
@ScottGottliebMD
·
13m
This is GAME CHANGER. Abbott to market, starting next week, a fast point-of-care #coronavirus test, delivering positive results in 5min and negative results in 13min. Will deliver 50K tests/day to start. Kudos to Abbott and FDA’s Jeff Shuren and team at CDRH who are in the fight.

That's huge

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2567 on: March 27, 2020, 09:03:57 PM »
I’m confused. When people in a position of authority said stupid and completely probably  false we shouldn’t comment as it is political?
Seems facts are now a partisan thing.

I know you're not dumb, but you're missing the point.  We've allowed plenty of commentary on politicians and how they've handled it.  But let me quote a couple things from the past few pages that weren't necessary and went too far...

Y'all get yo chance in November ta vote yea or nay. Dat's democracy and dat's da way wee do it here. God bless America, aina?

It's a symptom and actions of someone with Severe Narcissistic Disorder Syndrome.

There are several stories about it over the last 3 years from The Atlantic.  When I locate I will share.

We have fallen so far that nobody is even surprised.

He had normalized appalling conduct to the point where everyone views it as just "Trump being Trump."

This was how it was always going to end. Blame blue state governors for the issues.

Trump operates in colors. These are blue states, brown people.

That's my guess. We would either learn about it as he was on his deathbed, or after he recovered.

No.

Or Yes and his greatness would defeat the virus in his body.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2568 on: March 27, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »

Keeping it under 100,000 would be nice under the circumstances..

If by “circumstances” you mean earlier predictions that 180 million American would be infected and the death rate was north of 3%, yeah. Under 100,000 is much better than 5.4 million.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2569 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:35 PM »
Scott Gottlieb, MD
@ScottGottliebMD
·
13m

Well done guru, great source.  Gottlieb is an awesome dude!

Just so there is no confusion, I am being 100% honest.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2570 on: March 27, 2020, 09:19:47 PM »
If by “circumstances” you mean earlier predictions that 180 million American would be infected and the death rate was north of 3%, yeah. Under 100,000 is much better than 5.4 million.

Well that many may get infected, but at least not all at once.  We can deal with people better when its not all at once!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2571 on: March 27, 2020, 09:29:29 PM »
I agree.  And frankly, I we (it's not just me) don't have the time to moderate it all.  So folks, please stop.

thank you's where thank you's are due!  and yes, it's very easy for a busy thread to progress(used lightly)beyond ones ability to keep up, especially when many of us have another life.  not trying to "suck up" but with all the "extra" time on hand, this board has been a very busy place and the mods jobs are probably akin to lunch time at arby's eyn'a?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2572 on: March 27, 2020, 09:35:56 PM »
In other news 400 people died today in America.  Up nearly 50% from yesterday. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2573 on: March 27, 2020, 09:37:57 PM »
but seriously...let a career criminal who "allegedly" murdered his girlfriend on june 2018 so he doesn't get sick?  but lock down everyone else.  someone please 'splain to me how this is going to help in any way?  why would this guy be more safe, which i could really care less, but i digress, out of rikers?  except for the fact that prisons, much less rikers, are "safe".   hows about we keep are law abiding people safe first, then worry about this scum.  remember, he is a career criminal.  i don't think he knows how to "behave" himself out in society 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/nyc-judge-frees-alleged-murderer-out-of-concern-hell-catch-coronavirus/

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2574 on: March 27, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
Well that many may get infected, but at least not all at once.  We can deal with people better when its not all at once!

I get that and agree totally. Spreading out the number is important. But when all is said and done I doubt very much that an infection rate of 50% or a fatality rate of 3.4% will be remotely close to true.