collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington rids itself of sexist language  (Read 94312 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Washington rids itself of sexist language
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2013, 09:23:21 AM »
#1 "Cracker" and "Honky" etc. aren't 1/2 of the problem. It's part of the problem, but let's not overstate it. I know this is nit picking, but I think it needs to be said. There is a long history tied to the n-word (we all know what it is), so it's ALWAYS going to carry more weight. It just does.

#2 In a perfect world, you are 100% correct. The good news is that in another couple of generations, we probably won't need all of the rules and regulations for protected class.

However, we aren't in a perfect world right now. I don't necessarily agree with every piece of affirmative action legislation, but I understand why it exists. Also, as a white male, from and middle class family, I don't mash my teeth or shake my fist at this kind of stuff very often (if at all). Honestly, my energy is just spent elsewhere. Maybe I'm just too apathetic... and maybe that is America's real problem.  ?-(

I think this is pretty well said.

Its kind of rich for a forum of generally white, middle to upper class males (plus a Warrior Chick here and there) who have had the extreme privileged background of going to a Jesuit university to be complaining about minorities using some minorly offensive word. Its worth having some perspective and taking a look at your life and seeing how blessed you are. If your biggest gripe everyday is that a minority called someone a cracker (BTW cracker is NOT an equivalent to the N word, if you think it is, spend some time learning about the history of the N word and its use in the context of slavery and the Jim Crow South), or that you can't call your favorite college basketball team by its old nickname, you've got it pretty good. I'm not going to waste my energy worrying about these things. I'm going to spend my time being thankful I was born and raised middle class in the world's richest country and trying to find ways to help others who weren't so fortunate. Everything else is wasted oxygen.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:55:52 AM by Bleuteaux »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »
#1 "Cracker" and "Honky" etc. aren't 1/2 of the problem. It's part of the problem, but let's not overstate it. I know this is nit picking, but I think it needs to be said. There is a long history tied to the n-word (we all know what it is), so it's ALWAYS going to carry more weight. It just does.

#2 In a perfect world, you are 100% correct. The good news is that in another couple of generations, we probably won't need all of the rules and regulations for protected class.

However, we aren't in a perfect world right now. I don't necessarily agree with every piece of affirmative action legislation, but I understand why it exists. Also, as a white male, from and middle class family, I don't mash my teeth or shake my fist at this kind of stuff very often (if at all). Honestly, my energy is just spent elsewhere. Maybe I'm just too apathetic... and maybe that is America's real problem.  ?-(

Racism is racism.  Where does "Hymie" fit in when Jesse Jackson said it?  Sure certain words carry more weight, but a slur is a slur and apparently some people (usually those screaming racism at every turn) can use various slurs with a free pass. 

Why not strive for a more "perfect world" and demand accountability from everyone, especially those that want to push for color blind society, they should absolutely be the first in line not using disparaging slurs.  Someone should hold them accountable, starting with the media.  If you don't show this hypocrisy, it will only continue.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
Racism is racism.  Where does "Hymie" fit in when Jesse Jackson said it?  Sure certain words carry more weight, but a slur is a slur and apparently some people (usually those screaming racism at every turn) can use various slurs with a free pass. 

Why not strive for a more "perfect world" and demand accountability from everyone, especially those that want to push for color blind society, they should absolutely be the first in line not using disparaging slurs.  Someone should hold them accountable, starting with the media.  If you don't show this hypocrisy, it will only continue.

You're right, but now I think you are now mixing several topics together.

#1 Should the media show the hypocrisy of racial slurs? Sure. Let's see it. Hugh Douglas is in hot water. Great. Fire him.

#2 Do we live in a perfect world where we don't need to have protected class categories? Not yet. Again, the rules aren't perfect, but I'm not going to mash my teeth over it.

Equality is a process, and we (as a country) are growing/going through it. It's not perfectly linear, and there are going to be bumps along the road. I'm cool with people striving for the best and pushing people to be "better". But, less save some of the moral indignation.

I'm white. I'm middle class. Generally, I don't have a lot to be upset about. As long as I can afford a cold beer on a hot day, I'm generally pretty happy.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2013, 10:58:28 AM »
I think this is pretty well said.

Its kind of rich for a forum of generally white, middle to upper class males (plus a Warrior Chick here and there) who have had the extreme privileged background of going to a Jesuit university to be complaining about minorities using some minorly offensive word. Its worth having some perspective and taking a look at your life and seeing how blessed you are. If your biggest gripe everyday is that a minority called someone a cracker, or that you can't call your favorite college basketball team by its old nickname, you've got it pretty good. I'm not going to waste my energy worrying about these things. I'm going to spend my time being thankful I was born and raised middle class in the world's richest country and trying to find ways to help others who weren't so fortunate. Everything else is wasted oxygen.

+1

As Louis CK would say, white people problems.

A lot of people on the right show very blatant disregard for the office of the president and say all kind of derogatory things about him, some with a racial slant, but even though I generally fall on the left side of the aisle, I don't really get too worked up about it. I'm definitely not going to come on here and whine and complain about the media hypocrisy or the double standards like some other crotchety old white dudes on here.

brandx

« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »
+1

A lot of people on the right show very blatant disregard for the office of the president and say all kind of derogatory things about him, some with a racial slant, but even though I generally fall on the left side of the aisle, I don't really get too worked up about it. I'm definitely not going to come on here and whine and complain about the media hypocrisy or the double standards like some other crotchety old white dudes on here.

Well said...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2013, 12:21:56 PM »

It is well documented that people will vote for a name they recognize and don't trust over an unknown the majority of the time.  Just because they are in a position of power does not mean you have to respect them.

There's a good Eddie Murphy movie on this, The Distinguished Gentlemen where he plays a con man and he finds out he shares a name with a recently deceased Congressman so he decides to run and his campaign slogan is "The name you know!"    
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:29:17 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »
You're right, but now I think you are now mixing several topics together.

#1 Should the media show the hypocrisy of racial slurs? Sure. Let's see it. Hugh Douglas is in hot water. Great. Fire him.

#2 Do we live in a perfect world where we don't need to have protected class categories? Not yet. Again, the rules aren't perfect, but I'm not going to mash my teeth over it.

Equality is a process, and we (as a country) are growing/going through it. It's not perfectly linear, and there are going to be bumps along the road. I'm cool with people striving for the best and pushing people to be "better". But, less save some of the moral indignation.

I'm white. I'm middle class. Generally, I don't have a lot to be upset about. As long as I can afford a cold beer on a hot day, I'm generally pretty happy.

Who gets to decide when we live in this perfect world?  Who gets to decide when classes no longer need protecting?  If there is hate crime on whites, are they a protected class now?  In a few years when whites are no longer a majority, are they now a protected class?  I'm just curious.

Of course the bigger question is what about the folks that have no intention of wanting to see any sort of racial harmony because it would hurt their reason for being, hurt their bank account, hurt their ability to drum up more hatred at every turn? 

I'm white, a minority in my own town and certainly my neighborhood.  I'm generally happy with the local area, the state is in the sewer and I have no love affair at all for the jackholes that run it.  I find racism ugly and disgusting, I find people that perpetuate it and stoke fires to advance their agenda to be even worse.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
+1

A lot of people on the rightleft show very blatant disregard for the office of the president and say all kind of derogatory things about him, some with a racial slant, but even though I generally fall on the left side of the aisle, I don't really get too worked up about it. I'm definitely not going to come on here and whine and complain about the media hypocrisy or the double standards like some other crotchety old whiteyoung liberal dudes on here.

FIFY   (happy to provide 1000's of examples from 2000 to 2008 if you wish)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »
Who gets to decide when we live in this perfect world?  Who gets to decide when classes no longer need protecting?  If there is hate crime on whites, are they a protected class now?  In a few years when whites are no longer a majority, are they now a protected class?  I'm just curious.

Of course the bigger question is what about the folks that have no intention of wanting to see any sort of racial harmony because it would hurt their reason for being, hurt their bank account, hurt their ability to drum up more hatred at every turn? 

I'm white, a minority in my own town and certainly my neighborhood.  I'm generally happy with the local area, the state is in the sewer and I have no love affair at all for the jackholes that run it.  I find racism ugly and disgusting, I find people that perpetuate it and stoke fires to advance their agenda to be even worse.

I answered your first question back on Aug. 7th.

However, we aren't in a perfect world right now. I don't necessarily agree with every piece of affirmative action legislation, but I understand why it exists. Also, as a white male, from and middle class family, I don't mash my teeth or shake my fist at this kind of stuff very often (if at all). Honestly, my energy is just spent elsewhere. Maybe I'm just too apathetic... and maybe that is America's real problem.  ?-(

As far as your "whites as a minority point", I don't really know how to answer that. I guess when we get there, we can address it then.

brandx

« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »
I'm white, a minority in my own town and certainly my neighborhood.

A little misleading - you are probably talking population only. I would guess that money and power-wise the whites are still the overwhelming "majority".

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
A little misleading - you are probably talking population only. I would guess that money and power-wise the whites are still the overwhelming "majority".

Nope.  I live in a predominantly Asian community.  Good jobs, control most of the power positions in city gov't (mayor, 70% of the elected representatives, etc), etc. 

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
FIFY   (happy to provide 1000's of examples from 2000 to 2008 if you wish)

Your "FIFY" here didn't really make any sense. I'll readily admit that people insulted GWB, but my point was that I don't get too worked up about words (in regards to Obama from the right-even though I fall towards the left). You, on the other hand, seem to get plenty worked up about words said by the left, and I'm sure you were very fired up when the left attacked him. Thus, I'm not really sure what you would provide 1000s of examples of.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
Your "FIFY" here didn't really make any sense. I'll readily admit that people insulted GWB, but my point was that I don't get too worked up about words (in regards to Obama from the right-even though I fall towards the left). You, on the other hand, seem to get plenty worked up about words said by the left, and I'm sure you were very fired up when the left attacked him. Thus, I'm not really sure what you would provide 1000s of examples of.

I'm glad you admit it, because a bunch of folks don't.  Currently we have people get all bothered and dusted up when someone currently critiques the man in charge, often rooting it in racism or making the claim as such.  It's basically Godwin's Law V2...when in doubt, throw out the racism charge. My God, even in Alaska the stupid rodeo cowboy mask thing got on the air and racism BS coming from pundits on air.  Yet when masks of other presidents are used for Archery competitions, rodeo competitions, etc....someone wake me when I hear folks screaming about it.  Again, glad you admit it, wish more people did. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »
I'm glad you admit it, because a bunch of folks don't.  Currently we have people get all bothered and dusted up when someone currently critiques the man in charge, often rooting it in racism or making the claim as such.  It's basically Godwin's Law V2...when in doubt, throw out the racism charge. My God, even in Alaska the stupid rodeo cowboy mask thing got on the air and racism BS coming from pundits on air.  Yet when masks of other presidents are used for Archery competitions, rodeo competitions, etc....someone wake me when I hear folks screaming about it.  Again, glad you admit it, wish more people did.  

Theres nothing really profound here. People from the other side will always take shots at the guy in charge. Bush was made fun of for his perceived intelligence, or lack there of. I'm sure it was overboard at times, and not respecting the dignity of the office. But its NOT an equivalent of tea baggers waiving signs of Obama dressed like Hitler or the Joker

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »
I'm glad you admit it, because a bunch of folks don't.  Currently we have people get all bothered and dusted up when someone currently critiques the man in charge, often rooting it in racism or making the claim as such.  It's basically Godwin's Law V2...when in doubt, throw out the racism charge. My God, even in Alaska the stupid rodeo cowboy mask thing got on the air and racism BS coming from pundits on air.  Yet when masks of other presidents are used for Archery competitions, rodeo competitions, etc....someone wake me when I hear folks screaming about it.  Again, glad you admit it, wish more people did. 

Will you admit there's a lot of garbage said about our current president?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
There is crap said about every President.

Whether it is more vs less or better vs worse depends on your viewpoint.

If you have a vested political interest, you probably feel like "your guy" gets picked on more.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »
If you don't think the man's race had anything to do with much of the animosity directed towards him throughout his first term in office then I don't know what to tell you.  You are smarter than that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2013, 06:39:07 AM »
Theres nothing really profound here. People from the other side will always take shots at the guy in charge. Bush was made fun of for his perceived intelligence, or lack there of. I'm sure it was overboard at times, and not respecting the dignity of the office. But its NOT an equivalent of tea baggers waiving signs of Obama dressed like Hitler or the Joker

It isn't the Hitler or Joker stuff that bothers me.  It is the ones like this:

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »

LOL.  Uhm, ok.  There are literally tens of thousands of images portraying just that.   I don't know where you were living from 2000 to 2008, but please.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:29:47 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2013, 10:28:39 AM »
If you don't think the man's race had anything to do with much of the animosity directed towards him throughout his first term in office then I don't know what to tell you.  You are smarter than that.

Did I ever say it had nothing to do with it?  Of course not, there will always be some that go down that path.  The problem is that you can't even criticize the man without someone yelling racism, so it goes both ways.  Any legit criticism, any time someone votes against programs or policies, someone throws that grenade...that is despicable and cowardly.

Speaking of race, I can't wait to hear all the outrage over the Christopher Lane shooting....I can't wait for POTUS to weigh in if he had a son he would look like....

Crickets very silent right now.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
It isn't the Hitler or Joker stuff that bothers me.  It is the ones like this:

But remember, this was "funny".

Calling him a racist was cool.  I love the hypocrisy (not calling you a hypocrite, but I'm calling people of one ideology vs another exactly that).  It's ok for their side to level racist charges (because they think they are true even without a shred of evidence).  Interesting.

Reminds me of a cartoon

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #196 on: August 22, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #197 on: August 22, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »
"NUFF SAID"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #198 on: August 22, 2013, 06:00:19 PM »
Did I ever say it had nothing to do with it?  Of course not, there will always be some that go down that path.  The problem is that you can't even criticize the man without someone yelling racism, so it goes both ways.  Any legit criticism, any time someone votes against programs or policies, someone throws that grenade...that is despicable and cowardly.

You're right.
Of course, the flip side is that often those critical of Bush - especially in the lead up to the Iraq War - were labeled America hatin' unpatriotic surrender monkeys.
Also despicable and cowardly.

Now, who wants some Freedom fries?

Speaking of race, I can't wait to hear all the outrage over the Christopher Lane shooting....I can't wait for POTUS to weigh in if he had a son he would look like....
Crickets very silent right now.

Says the guy who lambasted those who made a political issue out of Trayvon Martin. Apparently some tragic deaths (like those in say, Benghazi and Christopher Lane's) are ripe for political exploitation.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:03:40 PM by Pakuni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #199 on: August 22, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »
But remember, this was "funny".

Calling him a racist was cool.  I love the hypocrisy (not calling you a hypocrite, but I'm calling people of one ideology vs another exactly that).  It's ok for their side to level racist charges (because they think they are true even without a shred of evidence).  Interesting.

Reminds me of a cartoon

If you don't understand the difference, but I can't say that I am surprised.