collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Washington rids itself of sexist language  (Read 94582 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Washington rids itself of sexist language
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
if I travel to Seattle it becomes my problem!  I don't and haven't liked the trend.  First Seattle, then the state, then Oregon and CA think it's a good idea, not long after, the ultra left east coast, not to be out-libbed, outlaws the offensive terms and decides to go further by banning soda.  Oh wait.... 

In a nutshell, I'm tired of others having the right to call me names while I am prohibited from replying in kind.  Is it a small thing?  Maybe, but if someone doesn't stand up to the crazies you wind up with, well, Obamacare!   I know it's not exactly analogous, but you're starting to sound like rodham at the Benghazi hearings.  What does it matter...... 

Well, this is where we differ.

#1 I just don't have the energy or interest in reading stuff from around the country that gets my blood pressure up. I don't say that to be condescending, it's just the truth. It would wear me out, and I think I would be emotionally bankrupt and angry all of the time.

#2 It's hard to get my blood pressure up, because I don't see the decline of civilization is such a linear format. I don't think standing up for "n-word vs cracker" is going to prevent America from going down the tubes. America is always evolving, and it's always going to be a challenge, for all of us. Some things are worth taking a stand on, some things aren't. I have several issues that I'm more active about. Once all of those issues are "solved", then I'll move on to why I'm not allowed in a "Curves" gym!! Grrrrr!

#3 Seattle and Washington can do whatever they want (within reason). I believe in states rights, and quite honestly I wish/hope all states continue to evolve and be different from one another. If Seattle wants to be crazy PC, and you don't like that, then don't go there. Boom. Solved. If everybody in Texas carries a gun, and you don't like guns, then don't go there. Boom. Solved. See what I mean?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
Well, this is where we differ.

#1 I just don't have the energy or interest in reading stuff from around the country that gets my blood pressure up. I don't say that to be condescending, it's just the truth. It would wear me out, and I think I would be emotionally bankrupt and angry all of the time.

#2 It's hard to get my blood pressure up, because I don't see the decline of civilization is such a linear format. I don't think standing up for "n-word vs cracker" is going to prevent America from going down the tubes. America is always evolving, and it's always going to be a challenge, for all of us. Some things are worth taking a stand on, some things aren't. I have several issues that I'm more active about. Once all of those issues are "solved", then I'll move on to why I'm not allowed in a "Curves" gym!! Grrrrr!

#3 Seattle and Washington can do whatever they want (within reason). I believe in states rights, and quite honestly I wish/hope all states continue to evolve and be different from one another. If Seattle wants to be crazy PC, and you don't like that, then don't go there. Boom. Solved. If everybody in Texas carries a gun, and you don't like guns, then don't go there. Boom. Solved. See what I mean?

As I said, it's just another little bit of our freedom being taken away.  I'm not willing to give up any more of it.  If you are, that's your problem.  What if I can't avoid going to Seattle?  I think my right to use the term "citizen" is federally guaranteed as is my right to arm myself in Texas, or really, anywhere in the US.  So give up your rights if you wish. others will stand up for theirs and yours.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »
As I said, it's just another little bit of our freedom being taken away.  I'm not willing to give up any more of it.  If you are, that's your problem.  What if I can't avoid going to Seattle?  I think my right to use the term "citizen" is federally guaranteed as is my right to arm myself in Texas, or really, anywhere in the US.  So give up your rights if you wish. others will stand up for theirs and yours.

#1 I don't see freedom as some sort of linear concept that gets taken or given one step at a time. It's a constant evolution and balance, but I don't think it's step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4, boom... freedom gone! I just don't think it works like that. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

#2 I wish the federal government was smaller and states had more power. Therefore, I'm ok with Seattle and Washington deciding whatever they want (within reason). I don't need the fed taking on another project.

#3 There is no reason why a person would ever HAVE to go to Seattle. If you don't want to go there, then don't go. Personal responsibility.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
#1 I don't see freedom as some sort of linear concept that gets taken or given one step at a time. It's a constant evolution and balance, but I don't think it's step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4, boom... freedom gone! I just don't think it works like that. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

#2 I wish the federal government was smaller and states had more power. Therefore, I'm ok with Seattle and Washington deciding whatever they want (within reason). I don't need the fed taking on another project.

#3 There is no reason why a person would ever HAVE to go to Seattle. If you don't want to go there, then don't go. Personal responsibility.

1. erosion of rights little by little is to be feared and fought whether it is linear or exponential.

2. agree on smaller government at all levels would be a good thing.

3. job considerations compel the travel and there are many factors that could make the trips unavoidable.  Boom. simple as that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2013, 07:09:18 PM »
Regarding #3...how the hell would this impact you at all?  You can use the word "citizens" and "brown bag" all you want.  From the first paragraph:

"Government workers in the city of Seattle have been advised that the terms "citizen" and "brown bag" are potentially offensive and may no longer be used in official documents and discussions."

So unless you are travelling to Seattle to work on "official documents and discussions," using those words isn't a problem.  Or do you lose freedom simply by existing in such a city???

brandx

« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »
  Double standard, isn't it?  You don't care about somebody using the term "white cracker" but drop the N word or or use an indian symbol as a mascot and it's a federal case.  I think it's the hypocrisy of the whole deal that pisses people off.

This is one of the stupider arguments I see. Acting as though 'cracker' and the 'N' word are equivalent.

"Crackers" have money, power, and land - and always have in this country. They bought, sold, imprisoned, and murdered minorities who got in their way.

Much of that is in the past - but it still goes on. A person convicted of a drug crime is 35 times more likely to go to prison if black. The sentences for cocaine and crack are another example - with convictions for crack much more severe. But then crack is generally considered a "black" crime.

You stated in another post that you may be different because you grew up post-war - talking about the rule of law and equal opportunity. Well, we know what the laws were regarding blacks in the '50s and how much equal opportunity was available then.

"Cracker" is just a cute little name. It has none of the connotation of the "N" word and the history behind it.

brandx

« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
All this thread really needs is for everyone to read the responses from Guns N Ammo.

Common sense and reason are NOT a bad thing.

Well done GNA

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2013, 08:09:59 PM »
Regarding #3...how the hell would this impact you at all?  You can use the word "citizens" and "brown bag" all you want.  From the first paragraph:

"Government workers in the city of Seattle have been advised that the terms "citizen" and "brown bag" are potentially offensive and may no longer be used in official documents and discussions."

So unless you are travelling to Seattle to work on "official documents

Bingo, we finally have a winner!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2013, 08:15:47 PM »
So unless you are travelling to Seattle to work on "official documents

Bingo, we finally have a winner!

Really?  You might travel to Seattle to work on official City documents?  And if that happens, they actually might tell you what words you can't use?

Man, you are really oppressed. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
Absolutely it's a double standard. I understand logic well enough to know that.

However, society is filled with double standards. Black colleges, women's-only gyms, etc. etc, yet Augusta National draws all of the attention.

With this said, I'm not sure we need to make our stand against hypocrisy with "cracker" vs "n-word". I don't think there is anything to gain there.

I'm not mashing my teeth over that one, nor do I think anybody should. It's waaaaaay down the list of social injustice.

We should expect more than a double standard from the 5th column who routinely tell us how they are playing it down the middle and here for a "free society".  I don't think that is asking much, but apparently it is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2013, 08:25:57 PM »
Because it's Seattle's problem. Not Milwaukee's.

I mean, I don't like what they are doing, and if I lived in Seattle, I suppose I would do something about it.

I don't like taxpayer funded stadiums, but I'm not going to read Miami newspaper's everyday to see stories about the Marlin's ballpark and then mash my teeth and shake my fist.

I just don't have the time or energy to worry about everything that comes up around the country, and that was my initial question to Chico's. Do you find this stuff everyday, or does it find you?

Because what happens is one nutjob in Seattle has this great idea and then it becomes Milwaukee's problem, L.A.'s problem, Omaha's problem.

brandx

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2013, 08:31:24 PM »
I love it when white guys (of which I am one) sit around and talk about their loss of freedoms.

Man we've had it rough the last couple hundred years ;D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »
I love it when white guys (of which I am one) sit around and talk about their loss of freedoms.

Shhh...Chicos doesn't like when you bring a silly little inconvenience like state-sponsored racism into the conversation.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Because what happens is one nutjob in Seattle has this great idea and then it becomes Milwaukee's problem, L.A.'s problem, Omaha's problem.

It's stupid.  But in the grand scheme of things isn't much of a problem. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »

Compared to?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
1. erosion of rights little by little is to be feared and fought whether it is linear or exponential.

2. agree on smaller government at all levels would be a good thing.

3. job considerations compel the travel and there are many factors that could make the trips unavoidable.  Boom. simple as that.

#1. Fine. We'll agree to disagree.

#2. Yep.

#3. If your job makes you go, get a new job. Personal responsibility. Seattle and it's residents are allowed to govern however they wish... if you don't like it, don't go there.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »

Then if you live in Milwaukee, LA or Omaha, you have the power to vote those individuals out.  The beauty of this thing called democracy and extending the power to govern local issues to the local political institution is that people have the power to legislate how they like in their local community.  They can shape local issues how the like and legislate accordingly.

If someone where you live likes these policies they can try to institute them in their local community, but the kicker is, they have to get the local community to support it.  If they do support it, the system is working, even if you don't like it.

So in that regard, it doesn't affect you, and if it bothers you if you visit...too bad, they live there and they like it that way.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »

Shhh...Chicos doesn't like when you bring a silly little inconvenience like state-sponsored racism into the conversation.
????

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
We should expect more than a double standard from the 5th column who routinely tell us how they are playing it down the middle and here for a "free society".  I don't think that is asking much, but apparently it is.

Again, based upon strict logic, you are 100% correct.

Just like:
- I shouldn't have to hold the door for women (Women's lib!)
- Every date I go on should be "dutch" (Hooray women in the workplace)
- "woman and children first" is incorrect (Only the strong survive!)
- I shouldn't give up my seat to an older lady in church (I was here first!)

There is some nuance here, right? Can we agree on that? Not everything is just based upon A+B=C.

I do pay for dates, I do hold doors open, I do let women and kids go in front of me, I do give up my seat. It's my own personal values, as well as what is socially acceptable. It's not simply logic based like you are implying.

America has a LONG list of issues we can work on. I'm not sure N-word vs Cracker makes the top 100,000.

Work big to small, guys.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
Then if you live in Milwaukee, LA or Omaha, you have the power to vote those individuals out.  The beauty of this thing called democracy and extending the power to govern local issues to the local political institution is that people have the power to legislate how they like in their local community.  They can shape local issues how the like and legislate accordingly.

If someone where you live likes these policies they can try to institute them in their local community, but the kicker is, they have to get the local community to support it.  If they do support it, the system is working, even if you don't like it.

So in that regard, it doesn't affect you, and if it bothers you if you visit...too bad, they live there and they like it that way.

That's cute.  If you truly think this stuff is isolated to certain locales I don't know what to say.  My example was to suggest it permeates many places.  You'll forgive me, too, about simply voting people out.  This is the same country, specifically in some locales, that routinely reelects criminals, sexual deviants, etc.  He\she who gives the most goodies out usually gets reelected.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2013, 10:13:51 PM »

You could use this EXACT same argument for every bit of progress this country has ever made (women's suffrage, civil rights, native American rights, bi-racial marriages, Brown vs board of education, Jackie Robinson, Harvey Milk, etc.)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »
That's cute.  If you truly think this stuff is isolated to certain locales I don't know what to say.  My example was to suggest it permeates many places.  You'll forgive me, too, about simply voting people out.  This is the same country, specifically in some locales, that routinely reelects criminals, sexual deviants, etc.  He\she who gives the most goodies out usually gets reelected.

Then don't live in those locales.

We aren't victims of government. We have the freedom to chose where we live and where we pay taxes. If we don't like our community, or who the community is electing, we have the power to move.

This isn't that complicated. If Amarillo is more your style, move to Amarillo.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2013, 10:19:06 PM »

This is where you start to sound like a person that looks around trying to find things to be angry about.  If it is not isolated to these locales then that means it is a majority held belief, which you are in the minority on.  That's part of being in a democracy...there are some issues where you will disagree with the majority.

Just reading the above post, it would seem that you are in favor of restricting the vote to those that agree with your line of thinking.

brandx

« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »

But yet - based on your politics - I would guess that you support the Citizens United ruling which allows these unqualified buffoons to be able to give out more of those goodies and allows these deviants and criminals to get elected.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »

You could use this EXACT same argument for every bit of progress this country has ever made (women's suffrage, civil rights, native American rights, bi-racial marriages, Brown vs board of education, Jackie Robinson, Harvey Milk, etc.)

You can hardly equate these with someone wanting to ban the term  "Brown Bag Lunch"  A bit overreaching

feedback