[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Selig Considering Floating Realignment  (Read 4939 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Selig Considering Floating Realignment
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »
In yet another attempt to ruin the game of baseball Bud Selig is considering floating realignment where teams can switch divisions and leagues each year!

As bad as the realignment idea was a few weeks ago, realignment every year would be 1000 times worse.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/tom_verducci/03/09/floating-realignment/index.html

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Selig Considering Floating Realignment
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »
Dont let your hatred for Bud Selig effect your reading comprehension.

It is the "Special Committee for On-Field Matters" that has come up with this...not Selig. They have been assigned to evaluate different aspects of the game, and to serve as an advisor to the Commissioner's Office. Selig will look at whatever recommendations the Committee makes, and decide if he wants to move forward with them. The Committee has no authority beyond that.

I doubt this happens while Bud is still Commissioner.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:22:22 AM »

Let's read the title of the article:

Selig,  committee considering radical realignment plan

A line from the article where Selig will consider it:

Selig  will look at whatever recommendations the Committee makes, and decide if he wants to move forward with them.

It sounds to me (from both the title and article) that Bud will consider it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:33:31 AM »

It is the "Special Committee for On-Field Matters" that has come up with this...not Selig. They have been assigned to evaluate different aspects of the game, and to serve as an advisor to the Commissioner's Office. Selig will look at whatever recommendations the Committee makes, and decide if he wants to move forward with them. The Committee has no authority beyond that.

I doubt this happens while Bud is still Commissioner.

Selig appointed the committee, didn't he?

This is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard of in my life.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:43:40 AM »
Let's read the title of the article:

Selig,  committee considering radical realignment plan

A line from the article where Selig will consider it:

Selig  will look at whatever recommendations the Committee makes, and decide if he wants to move forward with them.

It sounds to me (from both the title and article) that Bud will consider it.

The title is misleading...imagine that.

Why didnt you mention the Committee, or the advisory process in your original post? 

Bud will look at everything the Committee proposes, and decide whether or not to go forward from there.  You are attributing this idea to HIM, when that really isnt the case.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:49:35 AM »
I've never seen one fanbase totally in love with a man that the rest of the sporting world hates.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »
I've never seen one fanbase totally in love with a man that the rest of the sporting world hates.

A majority of the hate directed towards Bud Selig is fueled by ignorance.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »

Brewer fans have reason to love him.  Without Bud, there is no MLB in Milwaukee and no Miller Park.

Oh, and I think this idea is stupid. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »
Hey here's a great idea lets have the All-Star game decide who gets home field advantage for the World Series
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
A majority of the hate directed towards Bud Selig is fueled by ignorance.

Ignorance? Or is it that the majority of people can see the problem? You can debate misleading headlines and try to distribute blame, but he's still in charge.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
Why didnt you mention the Committee, or the advisory process in your original post? 

Because if you read the article, you would see the committee doesn't make the decision to do it or not.  Bud analyzes the committee's findings and makes the decision.  Hell, Bud even created the committee.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 10:44:37 AM »
Selig will look at whatever recommendations the Committee makes, and decide if he wants to move forward with them.

Does this statement you made not qualify as Selig considering floating realignment? 

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
Because if you read the article, you would see the committee doesn't make the decision to do it or not.  Bud analyzes the committee's findings and makes the decision.  Hell, Bud even created the committee.

Does this statement you made not qualify as Selig considering floating realignment? 

He will consider EVERYTHING the Committee proposes. He is guided by what the Committee comes up with.  In you original post, you failed to mention this...instead implying that this was ALL Bud's idea, which is incorrect.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57:27 AM »

He will consider EVERYTHING the Committee proposes. He is guided by what the Committee comes up with.  In you original post, you failed to mention this...instead implying that this was ALL Bud's idea, which is incorrect.

Did Selig not create the committee to look at matters such as this?  The committee is just doing what they were appointed by Bud to do. 

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »
Did Selig not create the committee to look at matters such as this?  The committee is just doing what they were appointed by Bud to do. 

Yes...again, why didn't you mention this in your original post?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »

Distribute. Blame.

Does Obama have everything to do with his cabinet? No. Will Obama be blamed for his cabinet? Yes. Should he be blamed? Yes.

It all comes down to the guy in charge.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »
Yea it says that Bud appointed the committee members. But why doesn't baseball just set a salary basement and ceiling level for teams instead of saying lets allow all the smaller market teams to be in the same division so they have a chance.

I believe making the MLB schedule for teams similar to that of the NFL in which bad teams are rewarded with an easier schedule will not make a big difference, due to the length of the season and most teams in each league (National or American) play one another on several occasions regardless. So, what 3-6 games will be changed?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 11:04:02 AM »
Yea it says that Bud appointed the committee members. But why doesn't baseball just set a salary basement and ceiling level for teams instead of saying lets allow all the smaller market teams to be in the same division so they have a chance.

Because of a little thing called the MLBPA. MLB has proposed a salary floor several times, only to have the MLBPA shoot it down.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 11:11:21 AM »
Yes...again, why didn't you mention this in your original post?

I don't see how Bud gets less blame this way but:

In yet another attempt to ruin the game of baseball Bud Selig is considering (upon the results of a committee he appointed) floating realignment where teams can switch divisions and leagues each year!

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 11:37:23 AM »
This is a dumb idea.

However, I think it is a good idea to for Selig appoint a committee to look into any and everything that they think might make the game better.  Obviously it's up to Selig to make the call on what he believes are good ideas and bring those to the owners and player's association. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 09:08:59 AM »
I'm in favor of whatever it takes to screw the Yankees and Red Sox. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 09:45:01 AM »
I'm in favor of whatever it takes to screw the Yankees and Red Sox. 

+1

I didn't read the article, nor do I really care to...but I'm assuming the realignment would probably have the Sawx and Yankees not in the same division so they are basically guaranteed to be in the playoffs?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »
+1

I didn't read the article, nor do I really care to...but I'm assuming the realignment would probably have the Sawx and Yankees not in the same division so they are basically guaranteed to be in the playoffs?

Yup, that's the gist of it.  Those always being in the playoffs and trying to get a 3rd team out of the East.  The other clubs in the East are crying because they have no chance to beat the Red Sox and the Yankees.

PUT IN A HARD CEILING CAP and they will.  But in order to do this, they have to break the union which they aren't willing to do (plus the Yankees have no intention of ever supporting a cap, it's not in their self interests.  This is where they are different than the NY Giants and the Dallas Cowboys and 49ers, the football powers of the 1980's who spent more than the rest of the league but were willing to come together for the betterment of football to have a hard cap).