[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Way Too Early Rankings - Complete List  (Read 13889 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Way Too Early Rankings - Complete List
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2023, 05:00:41 PM »
I'd say 4. Clingan in the late first wouldn't shock me.

Clingan is the second most likely IMHO. Hawkins and Sanogo are the other two. Who is your 4th? Jackson?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2023, 05:22:29 PM »
Clingan is the second most likely IMHO. Hawkins and Sanogo are the other two. Who is your 4th? Jackson?

Jackson straight up said last night that he's coming back unless Hurley tells him no.
VIOLENCE!

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2023, 06:13:15 PM »
But your claim that the Hausers "this was all blown up a few weeks later when the Hauser's decided to write a letter and leave."  They had written the letter weeks before that.  They didn't write the letter, drop it at Wojo's doorstep, and leave.

As I recall, they left within days of MH announcing he was coming back.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2023, 07:14:01 PM »
Wahl is returning to Wisky.  Is this a cause for concern or should I have a La Trappe beer?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2023, 07:15:45 PM »
Worry.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2023, 07:16:59 PM »
Wahl is returning to Wisky.  Is this a cause for concern or should I have a La Trappe beer?

Panic.  They might win the Big East
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2023, 08:42:25 PM »
The team is going to have to find some other kind of chip to put on their shoulder next year.
Got to think UCONN is going to be motive enough.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2023, 09:12:46 PM »
The team is going to have to find some other kind of chip to put on their shoulder next year.

How about chumping the tourney in round two when they had the team/talent to win it all?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2023, 10:42:07 PM »
Jackson straight up said last night that he's coming back unless Hurley tells him no.

Everyone says they're coming back in the moment.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2023, 06:07:01 AM »
OK, let's get this straight:

Most of the national media -- the people who dismissed us and Shaka as being DePaulesque in November -- has somehow seen the light and believes we are a legitimate candidate for a National Championship in 2024?

Really?

Sounds like classic overcompensation to me.

Not to be a buzz killer but we got killed on the boards last year. Teams that were physical and bumped us off our game and got in our face drove us batty during the regular season. We won because  we were poised and very well coached!

And, Tom Izzo hasn't yet retired!

Look, I think we have a really good team. Probably, the best we have had since 2003. Our Coach is incredible. Probably the best we've had since McGuire. We have an open scholarship and one hopes we end up with a bruiser somewhere. If we don't, can Oso and Ben bulk up?

But there are enough question marks to make me believe we have a good team -- a regional final team and maybe a Top 10 team. But, maybe we are and I don't see it well enough, but I have trouble believing we're the best!

We'll know after Maui!

F**k 'em!!!!

Breathe DG.

What do you expect from a brussel sprout eating Cardinal fan?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2023, 07:16:39 AM »
We were ranked 6th going into the tourney, got a 2 seed, and have a chance to return our top 9 players.

You still have to prove it on the court but if the team is back intact these rankings are not surprising and deserved, IMO.

Counterpoint… the defense wasn’t great. We allowed over a point per possession (compare to UCONN at .94.. Seton hall .97… CU at .979 etc

We went 0-3 Vs the Big Ten, including a home game against an NIT team

Our top 6 minutes guys can all return, but all of them have been in the program for multiple years.. why do we project a significant jump?

I’d bet on us having a lofty ranking next year… but I would not bet on matching our BE record of this more; plus, nonconf will present multiple challenging games

#pray
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2023, 07:26:47 AM »

Our top 6 minutes guys can all return, but all of them have been in the program for multiple years.. why do we project a significant jump?

All of our guys have areas where they can improve. It doesn't have to be a significant jump. Slight improvement in those areas means we're in the conversation to be a Final Four team. That's all you can ask for. It takes a little bit of luck to win it all. Even UConn has a little bit of luck, as they missed the 1 and 2 seeds.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2023, 08:01:40 AM »
If you average all of the early rankings together, Marquette is the average number 1 team.

https://fieldof68.beehiiv.com/p/way-too-early-top-25-field-of-68

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2023, 08:16:02 AM »
If you average all of the early rankings together, Marquette is the average number 1 team.

https://fieldof68.beehiiv.com/p/way-too-early-top-25-field-of-68

There’s no scenario Marquette gets better.  Sure, the defense got better as the season went along, but to expect it to be better next year is silly.  Guys have been in the program for a few years, their ability to get better is capped. 

The freshmen may get better but so what?  They don’t play as many minutes as the upperclassmen have.  Sure, two years in the program and another season in the weight room might help, but I doubt that helps the team.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2023, 08:24:45 AM »
Breathe DG.

What do you expect from a brussel sprout eating Cardinal fan?

You forgot egg hating   ;D

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2023, 09:54:13 AM »

Yes. Hadn't seen the comment about returning though.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2023, 10:08:31 AM »
There’s no scenario Marquette gets better.  Sure, the defense got better as the season went along, but to expect it to be better next year is silly.  Guys have been in the program for a few years, their ability to get better is capped. 

The freshmen may get better but so what?  They don’t play as many minutes as the upperclassmen have.  Sure, two years in the program and another season in the weight room might help, but I doubt that helps the team.
Should this have been Teal?  What MU Coach said every practice "Everyone should make an incremental improvement"?  Someone working on a new offensive move, gaining strength and if needed weight, improving free throws, outside shot.  Add up the sum of the improvements, and MU can make a solid run to the title.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2023, 10:40:45 AM »
I have no idea if the team can be better next year, but definitely believe there is still room for upside from the returning guys. Plus, I think there is some relatively high room for improvement. Oso getting a 6-10ft shot, Omax rebounding better and staying on his feet, Joplin and Kam improve on defense, Stevie a more confident scorer, Gold shooting better and other guys as well. This is a group that I believe all can be better players next season. No promise if the team is better, but I like the chances.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2023, 10:47:34 AM »
Should this have been Teal?  What MU Coach said every practice "Everyone should make an incremental improvement"?  Someone working on a new offensive move, gaining strength and if needed weight, improving free throws, outside shot.  Add up the sum of the improvements, and MU can make a solid run to the title.

Consider the source, then reread with the proper tone
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2023, 10:51:25 AM »
Yes. Hadn't seen the comment about returning though.

To be honest, I hadn't seen Jackson's comments either. I hadn't thought of Jackson as a potential early entrant but doing some quick googling I see he's projected to be a second rounder in a few mocks. He's got the right size and defensive chops to be a pro but I didn't think he'd have a shot with how poor his shooting was.

The comments are encouraging for UConn fans, but I wouldn't take them as gospel. Justin Lewis said he was coming back on his Instagram last season but ultimately rescinded and went pro. If Jackson were to get drafted, it's hard to imagine his stock being higher than it is now. I guess if he is just as good next season but becomes a sharpshooter as well but I don't know how likely that is.
TAMU

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2023, 10:54:24 AM »
I have no idea if the team can be better next year, but definitely believe there is still room for upside from the returning guys. Plus, I think there is some relatively high room for improvement. Oso getting a 6-10ft shot, Omax rebounding better and staying on his feet, Joplin and Kam improve on defense, Stevie a more confident scorer, Gold shooting better and other guys as well. This is a group that I believe all can be better players next season. No promise if the team is better, but I like the chances.

Those are all very reasonable.

Stevie averaged 26 points a game his senior year in HS and scored over 2,000 points. He has some scoring ability in him and I think once his confidence comes around he’ll be much more of a threat to score.

I also think the staff makes an exception to the “no mid range shots” rule next year for Oso because it’ll create so many opportunities for him if they have to guard him away from the rim.

I think Kam will focus primarily on his body this offseason, which will in turn help his defense. There was a time where after a game he said “I was going to dunk it but I didn’t have the legs.” I don’t think he’ll have that problem next year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »

Yup.  Thinking these guys have maxed out seems silly.

Will the record be better?  Maybe not but I’m willing to be they’ll have a chance to be a better team

Goose

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2023, 11:25:21 AM »
Rico

I do not expect them to match the regular season record next year but believe they will be better team if core guys are back. They will be built for March next season.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2023, 01:38:15 PM »

"Everyone is already saying we're overrated!"

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2023, 01:42:22 PM »
"Everyone is already saying we're overrated!"
I guess they literally can't say were underrated. 

feedback