[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette players not participating in Summer Pro-Am  (Read 19870 times)

GGGG

• All American

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Marquette players not participating in Summer Pro-Am
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:16:58 PM »
I have always feared one of our guys getting hurt in that damn thing.

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 03:46:38 AM »
Trading the pro-am for the extra organized practices and trip to Italy. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 06:09:54 AM »
Trading the pro-am for the extra organized practices and trip to Italy.

Could have had both, no?  Wasn't the ProAm moved back from June/July to accommodate the Italy trip and synch schedules?  I think this may be an issue of "Wojo no likey", but that is just a guess on my part.  Too bad as I think loyalists enjoy that live glimpse of the newcomers, but it is also nice to see the games will be streamed to salve the need for our Basketball Jones.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 06:42:34 AM »
Should be highly attended, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 07:23:17 AM »
Could have had both, no?  Wasn't the ProAm moved back from June/July to accommodate the Italy trip and synch schedules?  I think this may be an issue of "Wojo no likey", but that is just a guess on my part.  Too bad as I think loyalists enjoy that live glimpse of the newcomers, but it is also nice to see the games will be streamed to salve the need for our Basketball Jones.

I wonder if "Wojo no likey" is a new blanket policy, if "Wojo no likey" is something specific to this very young group this year, or if it is just a coincidence?     BTW, congrats on an early contestant for next year's meme contest. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 07:31:54 AM »
I wonder if "Wojo no likey" is a new blanket policy, if "Wojo no likey" is something specific to this very young group this year, or if it is just a coincidence?     BTW, congrats on an early contestant for next year's meme contest. 

Well Duke and UNC pulled its players out of the NC Pro Am and I think the event no longer takes place.  So I will let you draw your own conclusions about how Wojo feels about it.

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/colleges/x533457727/Duke-UNC-players-wont-participate-in-2013-N-C-Pro-Am

I believe DJO played in this one year.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 08:05:22 AM »
But then how will we analyze what Duane Wilson's 50 PPG in the Pro-Am really means for the upcoming season?  :-[

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 08:19:17 AM »
Pick up games for show without "real" offense or any defense, limits on teammates playing together, half the players not showing up because they have to make the hike from campus or because they lost track of time playing NBA 2K15.  No loss.  They would have gotten as much out of playing in the Brett Favre flag football game last weekend.

Warrior1

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 08:36:01 AM »
As disappointing as this is, remember we can watch the team play in Europe via live stream.

I'll take watching live competitive contests over pick up ball any day.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »
RIP the game that made Dave Singleton an All-American.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »
RIP the game that made Dave Singleton an All-American.

Outstanding!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 09:23:36 AM »
Figurin' Ganzer's the only dude pissed 'bout this, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 09:29:47 AM »
Figurin' Ganzer's the only dude pissed 'bout this, hey?

wrong... How about all the sponsors? they put a decent amount of money into the pro-am banking on MU's participation.

Also, this seems like a pretty late announcement, similar to "said player" is no longer with the program announcements that came out at 4 :45 on Fridays.

Marquette must have the College of Comm. undergrads running the PR department again.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 09:41:56 AM »
Wojo has shown he wants to cut the chord with program hangers on, who offer some sort of "service" in exchange for access.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 09:54:45 AM »
Who could that be, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 09:57:08 AM »
wrong... How about all the sponsors? they put a decent amount of money into the pro-am banking on MU's participation.

Also, this seems like a pretty late announcement, similar to "said player" is no longer with the program announcements that came out at 4 :45 on Fridays.

Marquette must have the College of Comm. undergrads running the PR department again.

Curious about this comment...is Marquette responsible or obligated to any sponsors or the organizer of the tourney in any way?  Also, what announcement?  I missed any formal comment.

Seems to me if they can practice rather than play pick-up ball they are better off and the sponsors should probably have had better information prior to committing. 

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
Wojo has shown he wants to cut the chord with program hangers on, who offer some sort of "service" in exchange for access.

It's not just Wojo, its the new administration. Dick Strong provided a lot of "Services" and we saw how the administration treated him.

communication is not hard, but for whatever reason there is none coming from MU. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
Every school has boosters like Strong and they're foolin' themselves if they think you can compete without them. Wish we had more. Leeches, on the other hand, no school needs, ai na?.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 10:05:43 AM »
Curious about this comment...is Marquette responsible or obligated to any sponsors or the organizer of the tourney in any way?  Also, what announcement?  I missed any formal comment.

Seems to me if they can practice rather than play pick-up ball they are better off and the sponsors should probably have had better information prior to committing.

I'll give it to you, you are correct they are not obligated to tell anyone anything. However, If am a MU alum, and a current sponsor of the Milwaukee Pro-am I would be pretty pissed right now, its poor business on Marquette's part. (And in the current atmosphere, College athletics is a "business".)

All Marquette had to do was say a few months ago that they were not going to participate in they years pro-am, they didn't even need to say why.  Instead they kept quiet, everyone thought it was business as usual. Now, from the few (and I do mean few, i am definitely not in the know like others on this board) boosters I know, they are upset.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
Every school has boosters like Strong and they're foolin' themselves if they think you can compete without them. Wish we had more. Leeches, on the other hand, no school needs, ai na?.

Completely agree. Wasn't it just last season that the people on this board who know Strong, said he was not going to many MU games?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 10:09:02 AM »
I'll give it to you, you are correct they are not obligated to tell anyone anything. However, If am a MU alum, and a current sponsor of the Milwaukee Pro-am I would be pretty pissed right now, its poor business on Marquette's part. (And in the current atmosphere, College athletics is a "business".)

All Marquette had to do was say a few months ago that they were not going to participate in they years pro-am, they didn't even need to say why.  Instead they kept quiet, everyone thought it was business as usual. Now, from the few (and I do mean few, i am definitely not in the know like others on this board) boosters I know, they are upset.

It is possible that no one knew until fairly recently what the schedule for Italy was going to be.  I mean, it was announced as an "Italy" trip, and now there's a game in Switzerland.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2015, 10:09:49 AM »

Is Marquette obligated? Maybe not, but consider some of the main sponsors: Scion Dental, Gruber, Baird, all have significant ties to Marquette. For anyone that's attended the Pro-Am in the past, the vast majority of the fans and supporters in attendance are there to watch the Marquette guys play.

Obviously the Pro-Am is largely a for-fun event, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have value. Do I think Marquette will suffer for not playing in it? Not at all. But if this was truly a NCAA rules issue, wouldn't they have known that all along and been able to say as much? And wouldn't common courtesy have indicated they should let the alums and boosters that sponsor the MPA know about that?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »

Could it be that the decision wasn't made until recently?  Hard to tell people a few months ago if it hadn't been decided yet....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »
Could it be that the decision wasn't made until recently?  Hard to tell people a few months ago if it hadn't been decided yet....

Marquette knew the start date back in June. The Italy trip has been known about since February. They could have easily said something weeks ago. I realize that's not months, but it makes a big difference for everyone involved with the MPA.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback