[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duane Wilson Tweet  (Read 111265 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
Re: Duane Wilson Tweet
« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »
Well, if it is true that Wally got Pole Axed it reinforces the allegations that signing him was a cynical ploy.

I would not applaud Wojo for doing this.

If it's true, I'm less concerned with the method to lure Henry than I am with the lack of commitment to Wally and the ellenson family.  If it's true, wojo used Wally for one purpose and then discarded him when that purpose was no longer needed.

IMO, this would be a huge blemish on wojo and Marquette. He would lose the respect of the players and national media might pick up the story.  I hope this is not how this is playing out.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2016, 01:20:16 AM »
Agreed. Let's remember there's a lot more to be played out and we shouldnt jump to conclusions. I had zero problem with Wojo recruiting Wally to land Henry, that's just good recruiting in my eyes. However, if Wallys commitment was to basketball and Wojo says thanks, but no thanks, that's not right. Who knows maybe this will all be resolved by 4:00 PM

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2016, 05:56:11 AM »
Chico penned his infamous "Choking dogs pee down their leg" piece for PT - so sometimes they waive the "basic command of the English language" requirement!
That was cracked sidewalks.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2016, 06:07:39 AM »
Well, if it is true that Wally got Pole Axed it reinforces the allegations that signing him was a cynical ploy.

I would not applaud Wojo for doing this.

Keefe, it's , Wally.  The reason is not that clandestine. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2016, 06:24:54 AM »
Agreed. Let's remember there's a lot more to be played out and we shouldnt jump to conclusions. I had zero problem with Wojo recruiting Wally to land Henry, that's just good recruiting in my eyes. However, if Wallys commitment was to basketball and Wojo says thanks, but no thanks, that's not right. Who knows maybe this will all be resolved by 4:00 PM

Probably 5:00 pm on Friday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2016, 06:31:08 AM »
Not a cut.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 21, 2016, 06:42:20 AM »
I think PT's news that the entire Ellenson family unfollowed Wojo is troubling.

I guess for me the line is somewhere around "Son, we're doing basketball related stuff this summer. If you want a scholly next year I'll need high jumping to wrap up when the outdoor season ends this Spring.  If you wish to continue jumping and return to the team in October you're more than welcome as a walk-on."

And if that's the case, I'd feel much better if both sides announced that agreement.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:33:07 AM by jsglow »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2016, 06:59:22 AM »
I think TAMU's news that the entire Ellenson family unfollowed Wojo is troubling.

I guess for me the line is somewhere around "Son, we're doing basketball related stuff this summer. If you want a scholly next year I'll need high jumping to wrap up when the outdoor season ends this Spring.  If you wish to continue jumping and return to the team in October you're more than welcome as a walk-on."

And if that's the case, I'd feel much better if both sides announced that agreement.
Why would you feel better? They knew Wally wanted to go to Olympics when they recruited him. This is actually worse than telling Wally his scholarship will not be renewed, because they are trying to hide their duplicity by making it look like it is Wally's choice.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2016, 07:00:52 AM »
What's going on is exactly what most are speculating is going on, and the reality is that DUane Wilson's tweet that started this thread is 100% accurate. It's a shady business...and it is a business. The sooner people just acknowledge and accept that, the happier and less affected by these things they are likely to be.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2016, 07:15:24 AM »
Why would you feel better? They knew Wally wanted to go to Olympics when they recruited him. This is actually worse than telling Wally his scholarship will not be renewed, because they are trying to hide their duplicity by making it look like it is Wally's choice.

I guess my view is that Wojo has the right to expect full commitment from his scholarship athletes.  Wojo also had the right to 'bend' that rule for Wally and he's done that by allowing him to Spring jump for 2 years.  If he now says that to earn his scholly for next year and that jumping needs to end with the completion of this track season until he's exhausted his basketball eligibility I'm fine.  Recall that Wally was a full basketball participant last summer including Italy.  Also remember, he's on a basketball, not track, scholarship.  I suppose I'm hoping that's the reality and Wojo is able to speak to the issue to everyone's satisfaction.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2016, 07:21:40 AM »
What's going on is exactly what most are speculating is going on, and the reality is that DUane Wilson's tweet that started this thread is 100% accurate. It's a shady business...and it is a business. The sooner people just acknowledge and accept that, the happier and less affected by these things they are likely to be.

This seems to make no sense to me.  You don't think the Hauser family is watching?  A straight 'cut' makes little sense to me long term, even if Wally is 13th man.  As I've said, I'm hoping the facts are more palatable.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »
opps
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:36:17 AM by jsglow »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2016, 07:33:14 AM »
This seems to make no sense to me.  You don't think the Hauser family is watching?  A straight 'cut' makes little sense to me long term, even if Wally is 13th man.  As I've said, I'm hoping the facts are more palatable.

Of course they're watching. Everyone is. Doesn't change the fact that this is the business they've chosen. Let's get real, if Wally played more like Henry, we wouldn't be talking about this. Same thing happens everywhere. It's the reason  there's ~400 transfers each year. It's a shady, cutthroat business. That's the fact. People need to stop clinging to this sham notion of amateur athletics, student athletes, etc. It's kind of sad to me that the supposed amateur student athlete himself (Wilson) acknowledged it, but many of the grown men and women who ultimately fund the whole operation, can't bring themselves to admit it.

If hauser or whomever chooses to somewhere else because of, or to avoid this type of thing, he's going to end up very disappointed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:35:47 AM by NavinRJohnson »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2016, 07:40:32 AM »
Maybe I'm old fashioned.  I've seen what you describe in business too and I absolutely hate it with a passion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2016, 07:52:48 AM »
I guess my view is that Wojo has the right to expect full commitment from his scholarship athletes.  Wojo also had the right to 'bend' that rule for Wally and he's done that by allowing him to Spring jump for 2 years.  If he now says that to earn his scholly for next year and that jumping needs to end with the completion of this track season until he's exhausted his basketball eligibility I'm fine.  Recall that Wally was a full basketball participant last summer including Italy.  Also remember, he's on a basketball, not track, scholarship.  I suppose I'm hoping that's the reality and Wojo is able to speak to the issue to everyone's satisfaction.

And I would understand this completely.  If Wojo said "we need you this summer" and Wally responded "I am going to try to qualify for the Olympics," I would entirely understand Wojo's position. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2016, 07:58:32 AM »
Maybe I'm old fashioned.  I've seen what you describe in business too and I absolutely hate it with a passion.

I don't necessarily disagree. Just pointing out the realities that aren't going away. My biggest problem is honestly the disingenuous way it's handled. Everyone knows what's going on, so why don't we just call it what it is. In many ways I have far more respect for a guy like calipari, who recognizes the system for the sham that it is, is pretty straightforward and honest about what he's doing and uses it to his advantage. Those guys aren't going to UK for and education any more than HE went to MU for an education. It's about basketball. Difference is, Calipari is basically open and honest about that fact, while most others are not. You tell me, which one is actually acting in the. best interest of those players?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2016, 08:06:37 AM »

And I would understand this completely.  If Wojo said "we need you this summer" and Wally responded "I am going to try to qualify for the Olympics," I would entirely understand Wojo's position.

I think nearly everyone would be fully on board with that.  I also think it was okay to give Wally special treatment as a means to get Henry to MU, special treatment evidenced perhaps by a marginal Bball scholly along with Spring track privileges.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2016, 08:15:11 AM »
I don't necessarily disagree. Just pointing out the realities that aren't going away. My biggest problem is honestly the disingenuous way it's handled. Everyone knows what's going on, so why don't we just call it what it is. In many ways I have far more respect for a guy like calipari, who recognizes the system for the sham that it is, is pretty straightforward and honest about what he's doing and uses it to his advantage. Those guys aren't going to UK for and education any more than HE went to MU for an education. It's about basketball. Difference is, Calipari is basically open and honest about that fact, while most others are not. You tell me, which one is actually acting in the. best interest of those players?

It's been less than 48 hours since Duane's tweet, and it's likely that any official decision was made after that. It's a bit early to say that this has been a cover-up of the true story. There hasn't been a story yet.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
{opens door to thread for first time}

Hey guys, what's going on? Just popped in here to see if there were any new memes created in this thread and to see what...was.....going.........on.............

{backs slowly out of thread and gently closes the door}
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

reinko

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »
{opens door to thread for first time}

Hey guys, what's going on? Just popped in here to see if there were any new memes created in this thread and to see what...was.....going.........on.............

{backs slowly out of thread and gently closes the door}

Unfollowing x person on Twitter =

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »

Me too, but only if Wojo did not make a promise--implicitly or explicitly--to Wally along the lines of 'yeah sure you can try out for the olympics and play basketball'.  Because that would mean Wojo reneged on his word.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2016, 08:52:13 AM »
I think nearly everyone would be fully on board with that.  I also think it was okay to give Wally special treatment as a means to get Henry to MU, special treatment evidenced perhaps by a marginal Bball scholly along with Spring track privileges.

Let's keep in mind we had open scholarships in the past, so there was never the issue of having kids hoping to be fully committed to Marquette basketball and every single practice, workout, etc. when Walter was able to miss some of those things to compete in track and field.  Right now we have a full roster and some extra kids interested in a scholarship.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2016, 08:53:28 AM »
I think PT's news that the entire Ellenson family unfollowed Wojo is troubling.

I guess for me the line is somewhere around "Son, we're doing basketball related stuff this summer. If you want a scholly next year I'll need high jumping to wrap up when the outdoor season ends this Spring. If you wish to continue jumping and return to the team in October you're more than welcome as a walk-on."

Per the NCAA, he couldn't be a basketball walk-on if he's on a track scholarship (unless he was going to be a walk-on in both sports). This was put into the place to prevent football coaches from using scholarship "track athletes" as walk-ons...who just so happened to be NFL-caliber football players.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2016, 08:59:16 AM »
How many people here seriously want Wally for one more year instead of a 6'9 bruiser for four years?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
Has anyone considered the possibility that either:

a) The "business" to which DuWil refers is not college basketball (i.e. he's talking about something totally different).  Maybe he's been reading Vogue's or Heisenberg's posts over on the Politics board and has taken a different outlook on life.

or

b) All y'all getting played by the player himself.  The players read Scoop, and they know we're reading their tweets.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.