Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coaching Carousel 2017  (Read 102398 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Coaching Carousel 2017
« Reply #400 on: April 01, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
Tom Crean should spend a year in broadcasting.  He has a knack for it and knows how to do research.

He shouldn't rush into any coaching gig that comes his way.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #401 on: April 01, 2017, 09:01:56 PM »
Here's the thing with Crean.  He was an epic douche early in his career, as are most coaches.  Friends of mine that worked for him said he was a jerk.  Same friends said same things about Buzz ater, only worse.

Saying that, look how many former players and coaches swear by the man?  How many say he made them better men, not just better basketball players.  Of course there are some that don't like him, too.  Cannot please everyone.  More often than not I'm going to take the viewpoints of people that interacted with him daily for years than some message board scrubs that interacted with him 2 times for a total of 3 minutes.  Though depending on where Crean was in his life, those 3 minutes could have been unpleasant.

Someone I know very well that worked for Crean at MU and didn't like him, has changed his tune the last few years. Said that Crean grew up, became humble, not the control freak he was, has become softer.  A totally different person.

Crean will land somewhere, but probably next season. He needs a year off, take that IU money.  Decompress, renew his energy.

Long time no see, Chico!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #402 on: April 01, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
Long time no see, Chico!

Careful. Could just be a rando that Chicos invited over for some beers and Disney tickets with their wives.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #403 on: April 01, 2017, 09:09:03 PM »
Tom Crean should spend a year in broadcasting.  He has a knack for it and knows how to do research.

He shouldn't rush into any coaching gig that comes his way.

If Crean wants to coach, he should coach.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #404 on: April 01, 2017, 10:53:07 PM »
Careful. Could just be a rando that Chicos invited over for some beers and Disney tickets with their wives.

Solid

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #405 on: April 02, 2017, 12:53:14 AM »
Solid

Also forgot to mention he gave said rando his wifi password so he could post on MUScoop while spending QT at the Chicos residence.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #406 on: April 02, 2017, 03:59:38 AM »
I pray that epic name dropping douche isnt returning (chico,hoop,etc)
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #407 on: April 02, 2017, 06:53:23 AM »
Here's the thing with Crean.  He was an epic douche early in his career, as are most coaches.  Friends of mine that worked for him said he was a jerk.  Same friends said same things about Buzz ater, only worse.

Saying that, look how many former players and coaches swear by the man?  How many say he made them better men, not just better basketball players.  Of course there are some that don't like him, too.  Cannot please everyone.  More often than not I'm going to take the viewpoints of people that interacted with him daily for years than some message board scrubs that interacted with him 2 times for a total of 3 minutes.  Though depending on where Crean was in his life, those 3 minutes could have been unpleasant.

Someone I know very well that worked for Crean at MU and didn't like him, has changed his tune the last few years. Said that Crean grew up, became humble, not the control freak he was, has become softer.  A totally different person.

Crean will land somewhere, but probably next season. He needs a year off, take that IU money.  Decompress, renew his energy.

TC lives his life "to the fullest." I believe this story and every jerk story. The man has no off switch.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #408 on: April 02, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
Mike Deane has retired from coaching

http://www.silive.com/sports/advance/gordon/index.ssf/2017/04/former_wagner_college_head_man.html

The '98 Minnesota NIT game was ON ESPN classic a couple of weeks ago. This was a little before my time, but anyone want to give a summary on what happened the following year? Obviously the recruiting improved under Crean. They blew the Minnesota game (not unlike some losses this season) and still had a Cliff wide open 3 at the buzzer to win. Gophers won the NIT that year.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #409 on: April 02, 2017, 10:46:50 AM »
The '98 Minnesota NIT game was ON ESPN classic a couple of weeks ago. This was a little before my time, but anyone want to give a summary on what happened the following year? Obviously the recruiting improved under Crean. They blew the Minnesota game (not unlike some losses this season) and still had a Cliff wide open 3 at the buzzer to win. Gophers won the NIT that year.

Umm the team had no talent coupled with the fact that deane on the radio said MU was unrealistic to expect challenging for the ncaas every year.  The axe swung shortly after
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #410 on: April 02, 2017, 10:52:42 AM »
Umm the team had no talent coupled with the fact that deane on the radio said MU was unrealistic to expect challenging for the ncaas every year.  The axe swung shortly after

Exactly.  Fr. Wild wasn't going to be writing the big check for an occasional NCAA.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #411 on: April 02, 2017, 11:17:25 AM »
Crean was on PTI last night. They asked if he was interested in the Georgetown job. He replied that he didn't think Georgetown was interested in him.

I thought this quote was interesting, regarding research for his next job:

"I'm going to be much smarter when it comes to understanding infrastructure, when it comes to understanding who I'm working with, when it comes to understanding what I'm walking into."
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #412 on: April 02, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »
I thought this quote was interesting, regarding research for his next job:

"I'm going to be much smarter when it comes to understanding infrastructure, when it comes to understanding who I'm working with, when it comes to understanding what I'm walking into."

Are you sure this wasn't a KO quote from after accepted the UT job?
Have some patience, FFS.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #413 on: April 02, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »

I guess rocket was wrong again.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #414 on: April 02, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »
Can't hurt, I suppose.

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Chattanooga has agreed to a 6-year deal with Wisconsin assistant Lamont Paris, per multiple sources.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #415 on: April 02, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
Ewing to Georgetown talk emerging...and they needed to hire a search firm?

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/georgetown-wise-keep-family-patrick-ewing/

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #416 on: April 02, 2017, 01:56:17 PM »
Ewing to Georgetown talk emerging...and they needed to hire a search firm?

https://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/georgetown-wise-keep-family-patrick-ewing/

If they go with Ewing, not saying it'd be a bad hire, but talk about an unquestionable fallback hire after everyone else said no. Just reeks of the "well, we can't get anyone we want, may as well go with the guy we know will say yes".

Of course, would Ewing stick if the NBA came calling? He's already expressed interest in that one day, and it's more money for in some ways less headaches (at least as far as dealing with kids goes).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #417 on: April 02, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
They could have engaged with a search firm to do all sorts of things.  Background and reference for instance.  Those firms do more than simply find someone.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #418 on: April 02, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »
They could have engaged with a search firm to do all sorts of things.  Background and reference for instance.  Those firms do more than simply find someone.

This.  My organization hired a firm to find a new CEO, even though there's a 95% chance they will hire someone either within the organization or referred by someone within the organization.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #419 on: April 02, 2017, 02:47:03 PM »

I understand all this but the irony of the article was that...
According to Rothstein’s report, Big John Thompson wants Ewing to take over the job.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »
I understand all this but the irony of the article was that...

Often times they hire the search firm as cover for doing exactly what they wanted to do to begin with (kind of like business consulting).  This way, they hire Ewing (probably was #1 choice all along), and can say he was the number #1 recommendation for the search firm.

Going after the likes of Mack/Brey/Amaker, was likely publicity oriented, in demonstrating they could throw around $4M+ salaries, while knowing that Mack/Brey/Amaker weren't going anywhere.

They get to reinforce the image of Georgetown being big league, and then hire the guy that keeps the dynasty/lineage intact.  As others have indicated it also presents the image of burying the hold hatchet between Thompson and Dematha (Wooten).  Don't underestimate the public posturing that goes on in these types of hires.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #421 on: April 02, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »
They get to reinforce the image of Georgetown being big league, and then hire the guy that keeps the dynasty/lineage intact.

Not disagreeing, but isn't getting turned down by four candidates (Cooley, Brey, Mack, Smart) seems like a way to say your brand isn't as big as you thought it was, especially when you settle on the veritable in-house hire. And trying to spin he was the #1 choice when four other guys turned you down, that just seems silly.  ?-(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #422 on: April 02, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »
Not disagreeing, but isn't getting turned down by four candidates (Cooley, Brey, Mack, Smart) seems like a way to say your brand isn't as big as you thought it was, especially when you settle on the veritable in-house hire. And trying to spin he was the #1 choice when four other guys turned you down, that just seems silly.  ?-(

Understand that sentiment also.  But part of the thing is making boosters happy, who wanted a new direction.  Also makes fans happy to realize the administration is committed. 

Lots of different angles.  Trying to weigh all the optics.  In the end, the schools usually go in the direction they had intended from day 1.  The rest is all public posturing.

Eagles22

• Walk-On
« Reply #423 on: April 02, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
Of course, would Ewing stick if the NBA came calling? He's already expressed interest in that one day, and it's more money for in some ways less headaches (at least as far as dealing with kids goes).

Not sure Ewing would need the pay bump. This would be a great hire for GTown.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #424 on: April 02, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »
I guess rocket was wrong again.

nope again!!  this ain't chicos dudes
don't...don't don't don't don't