[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coaching Carousel 2017  (Read 102455 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Coaching Carousel 2017
« Reply #375 on: March 31, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
I have a great idea!! Georgetown should offer that 4 mill a year to Greg Gard!! MU wins that in a couple different ways.  :P
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #376 on: March 31, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
Plus deez dudes all have egos beyond measurement.

I don't think it even needs to be about their inflated egos--its largely just human nature.  Most people are always open to improving their lot in life if presented with the opportunity--whether that's financially, emotionally, etc.  Coaches are no different, especially in the early- to mid- portions of their careers.  Who among us wouldn't take a job with better pay, resources, ability to succeed, especially if we are the ones being pursued?

Certainly, there comes a certain point in a career (and, sometimes, a certain type of person/coach) when they realize the grass might not be greener, and that there is a benefit to settling in where they are, even if it isn't a blueblood--Few, Wright, etc.  Its finding that sweet spot of a coach that doesn't need to scratch that itch, but is good enough to not get canned, and hopefully realizes that there is potential for lots of long-term success at MU if they stick it out long enough.

Personally, I doubt that Wojo is that guy--something bigger or better will come along some day, even if it isn't Duke.  That doesn't mean that I'll begrudge him that move when it happens, as I can't say I wouldn't do that myself if presented with the opportunity.  In the meantime, I'll hope that he is successful enough at MU to get those calls, and that maybe the next coaching search we can land that guy that will stick around for a decade or more. 

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 31, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
What are all the schools not called Duke going to be thinking when they poach Wojo? "I hope he implements his slow-as-hell rebuilding process so we too can have a first-round exit 3 years in and no ability on the defensive end?"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #378 on: March 31, 2017, 03:59:08 PM »
I honestly think they are finding out that that job isn't what a lot of their fans/media think it is..They have been rejected now by...Brey, Smart, Mack, Hurley, Cooley and probably others that haven't been made public. They waited entirely too long to fire JTIII, that's the biggest problem here. I know their fans would hate it, but I can't see Amaker rejecting it if he was offered. I think they want a big fish, but are finding out that no one wants to deal with the spector of JTII looming over them. Still no idea why they don't offer it to Crean, he'd do great there. I'm just not sure if he's an east coast guy.

I still think this ends with them hiring Amaker, but the packaging of the hire would have been a lot better if the search hadn't turned into something of a travesty.  The Thompsons handing the reigns to an African American coach that has been very successful at Harvard, came of age in the Duke program, and has been around the block would have seemed a natural transition, and Amaker would have been able to hit the east coast recruiting trail right away if it looked like Gtown and the Thompsons were excited to have him.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #379 on: March 31, 2017, 04:02:54 PM »
What are all the schools not called Duke going to be thinking when they poach Wojo? "I hope he implements his slow-as-hell rebuilding process so we too can have a first-round exit 3 years in and no ability on the defensive end?"

LOL I legit laughed but that's so unfair

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #380 on: March 31, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
Wojo is comfortable where he is at.  He is building something.  He is going nowhere anytime soon.

Good grief really?  How many times has that exact thing been posted on this board?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #381 on: March 31, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »
Good grief really?  How many times has that exact thing been posted on this board?

I have no idea. But I believe what I said. I don't think Wojo is going anywhere for at least a few seasons.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #383 on: March 31, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »
Good research report on Crean.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/03/31/doyel-compassionate-tom-crean-not-cartoon-character-you-think-he/99863548/
Way to upset the narrative around here. Listen, we all know Crean has a ceiling as a college basketball, but that is such a small part of who he is, or any other coach is for that matter. Basketball, sports in general, should be treated as a means to something more profound/meaningful. Sounds like Crean leveraged the sport and his elevated platform--at least to an extent--to make a substantive impact on other's lives for the better. I'll take that over a myopic coach who nets a few more wins. Of course, I'd prefer to have both!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #384 on: March 31, 2017, 10:46:31 PM »

Yeah, I only wish he had been able to have a quick, 2-year rebuilding process like the coach at Texas has pulled off.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #385 on: April 01, 2017, 05:55:45 AM »
I don't think it even needs to be about their inflated egos--its largely just human nature.  Most people are always open to improving their lot in life if presented with the opportunity--whether that's financially, emotionally, etc.  Coaches are no different, especially in the early- to mid- portions of their careers.  Who among us wouldn't take a job with better pay, resources, ability to succeed, especially if we are the ones being pursued?

Certainly, there comes a certain point in a career (and, sometimes, a certain type of person/coach) when they realize the grass might not be greener, and that there is a benefit to settling in where they are, even if it isn't a blueblood--Few, Wright, etc.  Its finding that sweet spot of a coach that doesn't need to scratch that itch, but is good enough to not get canned, and hopefully realizes that there is potential for lots of long-term success at MU if they stick it out long enough.

Personally, I doubt that Wojo is that guy--something bigger or better will come along some day, even if it isn't Duke.  That doesn't mean that I'll begrudge him that move when it happens, as I can't say I wouldn't do that myself if presented with the opportunity.  In the meantime, I'll hope that he is successful enough at MU to get those calls, and that maybe the next coaching search we can land that guy that will stick around for a decade or more.

Interesting slant, but Wojo stayed at Duke long after most of his cohort left.  There are people who don't have a wanderlust, I  think Wojo is one of those people, not unlike Al McGuire.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #386 on: April 01, 2017, 07:33:10 AM »
Tom Crean has spent a great deal of his career at larger, public schools, in the Midwest. This seems to be his what he likes and prefers. It would be interesting if he moved to a different part of the country, and/or landed at a smaller private school again. I don't see it.  But if it were by far his best opportunity to do so, I am sure he would.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #387 on: April 01, 2017, 07:38:17 AM »
Crean was on PTI last night. They asked if he was interested in the Georgetown job. He replied that he didn't think Georgetown was interested in him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #388 on: April 01, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »

A decade or more? Sad to say that Al is not walking through that door again
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #389 on: April 01, 2017, 09:06:03 AM »
"There are people who don't have a wanderlust, I  think Wojo is one of those people, not unlike Al McGuire."

Al McGuire did not have a wanderlust?  I beg to differ.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

ScopesnotSnopes

• Walk-On
« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
Good research report on Crean.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/03/31/doyel-compassionate-tom-crean-not-cartoon-character-you-think-he/99863548/

Here's the thing with Crean.  He was an epic douche early in his career, as are most coaches.  Friends of mine that worked for him said he was a jerk.  Same friends said same things about Buzz ater, only worse.

Saying that, look how many former players and coaches swear by the man?  How many say he made them better men, not just better basketball players.  Of course there are some that don't like him, too.  Cannot please everyone.  More often than not I'm going to take the viewpoints of people that interacted with him daily for years than some message board scrubs that interacted with him 2 times for a total of 3 minutes.  Though depending on where Crean was in his life, those 3 minutes could have been unpleasant.

Someone I know very well that worked for Crean at MU and didn't like him, has changed his tune the last few years. Said that Crean grew up, became humble, not the control freak he was, has become softer.  A totally different person.

Crean will land somewhere, but probably next season. He needs a year off, take that IU money.  Decompress, renew his energy.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
A decade or more? Sad to say that Al is not walking through that door again

Are you saying that doesn't happen any more?  What about guys like Mark Few?
Have some patience, FFS.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2017, 11:21:24 AM »
Interesting slant, but Wojo stayed at Duke long after most of his cohort left.  There are people who don't have a wanderlust, I  think Wojo is one of those people, not unlike Al McGuire.

Yep, I think he gained much insight watching Coach K evaluate all elements in the many of his  offers to move out of Durham to a bigger stage.  To some, Bigger May be Less.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #394 on: April 01, 2017, 11:50:52 AM »
Tom Crean has spent a great deal of his career at larger, public schools, in the Midwest. This seems to be his what he likes and prefers. It would be interesting if he moved to a different part of the country, and/or landed at a smaller private school again. I don't see it.  But if it were by far his best opportunity to do so, I am sure he would.

I know Marquette is in the Midwest, but it being a large public school is news to me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ScopesnotSnopes

• Walk-On
« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2017, 01:06:02 PM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #396 on: April 01, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
I know Marquette is in the Midwest, but it being a large public school is news to me.

It isn't.

While at Marquette, Crean had interest in other larger public Universities. Much of his other experience is at these places as well. Central Michigan (student) Western Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Michigan St., Indiana.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #397 on: April 01, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »

GGGG

• All American

Hards Alumni

• All American