[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coaching Carousel 2017  (Read 102496 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Coaching Carousel 2017
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2017, 10:05:33 PM »
This thread is about the coaching carousel. Please refer to the regularly scheduled programming for insights and analysis on our big upcoming win on Friday.

Again, what cause?

And who is "our"?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »
#2. Monty Williams already turned them down. On to #3.

Just a really weird play by U of I in my opinion, and probably indicative of how they think of themselves.  A relatively young NBA assistant, less than 2 seasons removed from a HC job with no ties to the program, or the area for that matter.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2017, 11:33:40 PM »
Any of those people chanting for Martin over Wojo a few years ago care to chime in on their feelings now?

I was on board with Martin. After Smart said no, he was my pick. Good recruiter, coming off one of those "I'll show you" to the fanbase runs in the tournament at UT. Seemed like a good guy and good coach.

I think he would've been okay here, but I think more than wanting Marquette, he wanted out of Rocky Top. Not saying we dodged a bullet, but I'm happy with how it worked out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2017, 11:36:19 PM »
I was on board with Martin. After Smart said no, he was my pick. Good recruiter, coming off one of those "I'll show you" to the fanbase runs in the tournament at UT. Seemed like a good guy and good coach.

I think he would've been okay here, but I think more than wanting Marquette, he wanted out of Rocky Top. Not saying we dodged a bullet, but I'm happy with how it worked out.
Cords told me that he perceived it the way you did. In that Cuonzo was running from something and not to something.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2017, 06:42:40 AM »
Cords told me that he perceived it the way you did. In that Cuonzo was running from something and not to something.

What cause? Who is "our"?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2017, 08:29:15 AM »
#2. Monty Williams already turned them down. On to #3.

Also...didn't miss this, absolutely hilarious. And now they want to make a run at Tony Bennett? Absolutely delusional.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2017, 08:38:47 AM »
I understand why Illinois got rid of Bruce Weber.  Once he ran out of Self's recruits, he just didn't do much at Illinois.  And despite this year's success, he hasn't done much at Kansas State either. 

But as I said when it surfaced earlier, the Monty Williams thing was strange.  It's the basketball version of the Lovie Smith hire which isn't going to pan out either.  And Bennett isn't going there either.

If I were Illinois I would reach out to Marshall.  He has likely topped out at Wichita and might be finally looking to make that jump and Illinois IMO would be a good fit. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2017, 08:57:42 AM »
I understand why Illinois got rid of Bruce Weber.  Once he ran out of Self's recruits, he just didn't do much at Illinois.  And despite this year's success, he hasn't done much at Kansas State either. 

But as I said when it surfaced earlier, the Monty Williams thing was strange.  It's the basketball version of the Lovie Smith hire which isn't going to pan out either.  And Bennett isn't going there either.

If I were Illinois I would reach out to Marshall.  He has likely topped out at Wichita and might be finally looking to make that jump and Illinois IMO would be a good fit.

While Lovie was an odd hire, there was at least his obvious connection to Chicago and the presumed thinking that his name recognition would get some talent to travel down 57 to Champaign. I'm not sure where Monty Williams came from to be their top choice.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
I'm not buying the Cuonzo turning down Illinois story, it doesn't really add up.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »

If you're running a coaching search aren't you supposed to reach out to best candidates you can come up with?

For all the talk of Illinois, Indiana, and other fanbases being delusional...when the Marquette job was open a lot of people on this board thought Bennett was interested and Shaka actually accepted the job.  An outsider's perspective would probably call that delusional.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2017, 09:54:28 AM »
I'm not buying the Cuonzo turning down Illinois story, it doesn't really add up.

If they offered him less money than Mizzou (which is what has been reported), sure it adds up.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2017, 09:59:23 AM »
If you're running a coaching search aren't you supposed to reach out to best candidates you can come up with?

For all the talk of Illinois, Indiana, and other fanbases being delusional...when the Marquette job was open a lot of people on this board thought Bennett was interested and Shaka actually accepted the job.  An outsider's perspective would probably call that delusional.

I don't have a problem with them reaching out to who they think are the best candidates.  I just don't understand the Monty Williams thing.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
If they offered him less money than Mizzou (which is what has been reported), sure it adds up.
I doubt he's Illinois' top candidate (I'm sure many of their top choices are still playing), Illinois is a much better job than Mizzou, and if the difference was an extra year on the contract I'm sure Illinois would have made it happen, and there is clearly an incentive for Mizzou to pretend like they beat out a big rival for a coaching target.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »
I don't have a problem with them reaching out to who they think are the best candidates.  I just don't understand the Monty Williams thing.
I think it's a Collangelo-USA basketball thing and he's usually pretty involved in their searches.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »

I don't think Bennett had interest when Buzz left, our timing was really unfortunate with Bennett. Smart was definitely the top target in 2014. After Smart's deal was undone, we turned our attention to Martin and Wojo. One nailed the interview, one didn't.

Contrast that to Illinois hiring their sixth option last time and already moving on to the third option now, I think it's safe to say neither their fanbase nor administration is particularly realistic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »
After Self left, Illinois could have had either Matta or Altman.

They hired Weber, and he obviously did well with Self's recruits, but he petered out when they left and Illinois has been reeling ever since.

Groce was more Dukiet than Matta/Altman.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »
After Self left, Illinois could have had either Matta or Altman.

They hired Weber, and he obviously did well with Self's recruits, but he petered out when they left and Illinois has been reeling ever since.

Groce was more Dukiet than Matta/Altman.

Altman was this close to taking the Illinois job, but ultimately turned them down.
They could have had Matta, but people tend to overlook how good of a coaching candidate Weber was at that time. He had a great run as an assistant and recruiter for Keady at Purdue and then built one of the better mid-major programs in the country at Southern Illinois. Hindsight is always 20/20, but at the time there was little reason to question his hire by the Illini.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2017, 10:59:53 AM »

One of those two things was delusional. The other was possible but unfortunately incorrect.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
Crean fired.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
Altman was this close to taking the Illinois job, but ultimately turned them down.
They could have had Matta, but people tend to overlook how good of a coaching candidate Weber was at that time. He had a great run as an assistant and recruiter for Keady at Purdue and then built one of the better mid-major programs in the country at Southern Illinois. Hindsight is always 20/20, but at the time there was little reason to question his hire by the Illini.

Probably true about Matta.

I didn't remember Altman having turned them down, so that's probably true, too.

Having reached my 106th birthday, sometimes my mind gets a little fuzzy!

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2017, 07:29:27 PM »
Going to throw Steve Forbes from East Tennessee St.'s name out there, not for any specific job, but would be a quality hire for the right school. Has a pretty good record as a head coach.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2017, 07:33:14 PM »
Going to throw Steve Forbes from East Tennessee St.'s name out there, not for any specific job, but would be a quality hire for the right school. Has a pretty good record as a head coach.

Plus, he's already a multi-billionaire so probably won't need to pay him!

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »
Plus, he's already a multi-billionaire so probably won't need to pay him!

:)
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »
One of those two things was delusional. The other was possible but unfortunately incorrect.

What exactly was unfortunate?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:01 PM »
What exactly was unfortunate?

The last minute change of heart by Smart.

feedback