collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 220446 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2275 on: Today at 07:32:28 PM »
Well, I've driven all around Orlando and the surrounding area. Used to go there for work. I don't remember seeing anything there that made me say, "Wow, this is special. I gotta get back and see that again." But you're right; perhaps outside the touristy areas, there is not much objectionable, either.

I'll probably go to Orlando again someday if my wife ever participates in a grandkids-to-Disney trip. I've already said that I'm willing to foot the bill but that I'll be playing golf and enjoying a beverage somewhere well away from theme parks. I've already been to Disney/Universal more than a person needs to go there, and have no plans to go again.

Disney is not really anywhere near Orlando. But Lake Eola in downtown Orlando is a nice spot to hang. Good craft brewery and other nice outdoor venues.
Winder Park (in no way to be confused with Winter Haven) is also a nice place to hang. Heck, you may even run into a  MU alum couple that live there, especially since he isn't currently busy with his job, now that his season has ended.  ;)

Ive never seen the appeal of Greater Orlando, besides Disney/greater Kissimmee attractions.  But I know a couple people who have the money to live/retire in large fashion wherever they wanted who have retired to/have a winter spot in the area (despite having no other ties to the area).  So clearly there is some appeal.  One actually swapped a $$$ house in the greater Palm Beach area for another pricey pad in Orlando, so there must be some draws.

Now that I live less than a 2 hour drive away, I'm sure I'll see some more parts of it other than Disney or the massive Gaylord Resort and Convention Center.  Hell, I always thought Winter Haven was weird/unappealing as a spot, but drove around it a few weeks ago and was kind of impressed with how nice some of it was.  Not for me, but my former coworker who retired there didn't seem as bizarre.

I was born in Orlando, but raised and now live in the Palm Beach area. Would not swap houses back to Orlando. But little pbiflyer is currently a student at UCF.
Winter Haven must have changed a ton since I worked there.  Winter Park appealing, Winter Haven, no. Even the old part around the big lake is quaint at best.

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2276 on: Today at 07:41:48 PM »
People fly to MCO because it's better than 2 days in the car with the kids.  It doesn't need to be a good airport, it just needs to be better than the alternative.

You’re severely undermining the convention crowd that has to go through MCO.

feedback