[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 377090 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2650 on: May 09, 2021, 11:21:26 AM »
The vaccine essentially takes hospitalization and death off the table even if you are one of the unlucky 5-28% who could be infected after full vaccination. If I told you to buy a lottery ticket for tonight's drawing since you would have a 72-95% chance of winning the jackpot, everyone would run to the corner gas station with dollars in hand. So, what's the big deal? Those who are still skeptical or fearful can remain that way and don't have to change. But, let the rest of us carry on as we did pre-March 2020. Follow the science because its real, hey?

So get the vaccine.   Anti-vaxxers are just gumming the works.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2651 on: May 09, 2021, 11:33:34 AM »

Yep.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2652 on: May 09, 2021, 11:35:02 AM »
Rocky, by Memorial Day every American 16 and over who want 2 doses can have 2 doses but let's not quarrel over 30 days.  And 'stressing the system' over the summer is probably a good thing.

Slightly off topic, I was heartened to hear a Summerfest official when announcing the Fall line-up answer 'Absolutely Not!' when asked a question about any possible Covid cancellation during the presser.

The summer is going to be fine so things should largely go back to normal.  The test is going to be the fall when things go back indoors.  That will tell us where we actually are.  Because of that colleges and universities are still planning for testing and isolation protocols.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2653 on: May 09, 2021, 11:39:32 AM »
We may find out in the 2022 elections, eh?

Ya

But I more meant: is the "line" mask regulation? Seatbelts? Drug use? Taxes?

Etc

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2654 on: May 09, 2021, 11:43:41 AM »

The summer is going to be fine so things should largely go back to normal.  The test is going to be the fall when things go back indoors.  That will tell us where we actually are.  Because of that colleges and universities are still planning for testing and isolation protocols.

Good point.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2655 on: May 09, 2021, 11:46:17 AM »

Sure, but my point is if they won't, don't hold up the rest of us from living. Aka, fook 'em, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2656 on: May 09, 2021, 11:48:17 AM »
Ya

But I more meant: is the "line" mask regulation? Seatbelts? Drug use? Taxes?

Etc

IDK, but I  do think the line is long before 'no dancing at weddings'. Stuff like that become an immediate disqualifier. I think most Americans are very reasonable people and have pretty broad tolerance but can smell horse crap from a great distance.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2657 on: May 09, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
IDK, but I  do think the line is long before 'no dancing at weddings'. Stuff like that become an immediate disqualifier. I think most Americans are very reasonable people and have pretty broad tolerance but can smell horse crap from a great distance.

I generally agree.

And, as usual, the most extremes are likely to be the loudest, thus implying the extremes are the majority when actually a small minority

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2658 on: May 09, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »

Sure, but my point is if they won't, don't hold up the rest of us from living. Aka, fook 'em, hey?

Agreed.

Make them (anti vaxx) restricted from enjoying normal society with passports/verification

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2659 on: May 09, 2021, 12:10:25 PM »

Things move indoors for the summer in the deep South. That's why their cases really climbed at the end of June last year. The South is behind on vaccinations so far so we should have an early test.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2660 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:30 PM »
Things move indoors for the summer in the deep South. That's why their cases really climbed at the end of June last year. The South is behind on vaccinations so far so we should have an early test.

Good point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2661 on: May 09, 2021, 12:56:53 PM »
Rocky, by Memorial Day every American 16 and over who want 2 doses can have 2 doses but let's not quarrel over 30 days.  And 'stressing the system' over the summer is probably a good thing.

I agree, but would like to se the 18+ number get closer to 70% vaccinated (currently 57%) and also likely quite a few 12+ will be able to have shot(s) by July 1. 

I'd like to be "done" with everything today, but just because some people have had shots for months, doesn't mean that we shouldn't allow the full gambit to get in for their shots.  It took a 3-4 months to get vaccines available to all the 65+  folks, 18-45 have only had it available for a month or so.  It's a process and I'm willing to respect that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2662 on: May 09, 2021, 01:26:54 PM »
Can you explain this? What type of infections? The only thing I can think of is skin irritation that gets infected?

Before and after covid I wear masks for hours every day. Never had any infections from wearing them.

So since you have never had an infection from wearing a mask it never happens. OK.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2663 on: May 09, 2021, 01:38:09 PM »

Millions of people dead around the world and this very minor inconvenience is insanity?

How about people on your team discouraging people from getting vaccinated OR wearing a mask.  THAT is insanity!

The purpose of the actions in Canada is to save lives. The purpose of your side is to kill.

Totally, unequivocally unhinged.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2664 on: May 09, 2021, 01:50:30 PM »
So since you have never had an infection from wearing a mask it never happens. OK.

I didn't read his questions as saying it can't happen, but rather wondering what the infections were.

Can wearing a mask for extended time periods contribute to certain types of infections. Yes. Bacterial, fungal, and yeast infections can be exacerbated by masks. Technically wearing a mask for extended periods could contribute to even things like fungal pneumonia.

But in all those instances, the issue isn't wearing a mask, but poor hygiene and wearing dirty masks.

It's like saying that wearing dirty underwear caused a nasty case of jock-itch, because you wore the same pair of underwear for a month straight.

That's not a reason to not wear underwear, it is a reason to have even just moderate hygiene practices.

Wearing a mask on its own cannot cause infections; but yes, wearing excessively dirty masks can contribute to the development of certain types of infections.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2665 on: May 09, 2021, 01:53:32 PM »

I never said that. I gave my anecdotal experience, just as you did.

Would you mind explaining the infections though?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2666 on: May 09, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »
Nah.  I think the fear of making a premature mistake that will cause cases and deaths to spike is the biggest driver.  I don't understand what political power is gained by preventing people doing what they used to do.  Every governor knows that the political backlash from keeping restrictions in place too long is going to end their career.

South Park clearly explained this plan in the gnome-underwear episode.

Phase 1. Make everyone wear masks
Phase 2. ?????????
Phase 3. Profit!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2667 on: May 09, 2021, 03:12:02 PM »
I generally agree.

And, as usual, the most extremes are likely to be the loudest, thus implying the extremes are the majority when actually a small minority

This. We have people here in Florida that they are screaming they are oppressed because everything is locked down. Yet nothing is locked down. Until recently, you had to wear a mask in public buildings. Oh the horror. Bars are open, restaurants are open, stadiums have been allowed to be at full capacity for over 6 months. Sports venues other than the WWE chose to be smarter.
And let’s talk about extremes. It’s illegal for a business to ask for proof of vaccination here. Yet it is also now legal to run over a protester.
Thankfully, the making it illegal to ask for proof of vaccination will seem to eliminate the god awful cruise industry from Florida, so there is an upside.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 03:20:03 PM by pbiflyer »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2668 on: May 09, 2021, 04:25:36 PM »
I never said that. I gave my anecdotal experience, just as you did.

Would you mind explaining the infections though?

Basic, common yeast infection.

So bad hygiene on my part, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:30:24 PM by Lennys Tap »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2669 on: May 09, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »
This. We have people here in Florida that they are screaming they are oppressed because everything is locked down. Yet nothing is locked down. Until recently, you had to wear a mask in public buildings. Oh the horror. Bars are open, restaurants are open, stadiums have been allowed to be at full capacity for over 6 months. Sports venues other than the WWE chose to be smarter.
And let’s talk about extremes. It’s illegal for a business to ask for proof of vaccination here. Yet it is also now legal to run over a protester.
Thankfully, the making it illegal to ask for proof of vaccination will seem to eliminate the god awful cruise industry from Florida, so there is an upside.

Had dinner at The Moorings (a senior community)in Naples last night with a friend. We had to show our vaccination proof to get into the dining room. Are you saying they were breaking the law?

And your “legal to run over a protester” is an absolute joke.

You’re right about Florida being open though. Better for our school children and their mental health, better for our economy and better than most of the h
big states vs Covid. I gather that some people think that’s a bad thing. Politics.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:41:40 PM by Lennys Tap »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2670 on: May 09, 2021, 05:26:07 PM »

Thank you.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2671 on: May 09, 2021, 05:33:22 PM »

Rereading my statement above, I realize the wording was a bit harsh.

Some people are more prone to them in general, and moist environments can cause a flare up (e.g. masks). For those individuals, it is important to be extra cautious regarding keeping masks clean.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2672 on: May 09, 2021, 09:54:41 PM »
Had dinner at The Moorings (a senior community)in Naples last night with a friend. We had to show our vaccination proof to get into the dining room. Are you saying they were breaking the law?

And your “legal to run over a protester” is an absolute joke.

You’re right about Florida being open though. Better for our school children and their mental health, better for our economy and better than most of the h
big states vs Covid. I gather that some people think that’s a bad thing. Politics.

Yes, what they did was illegal.

https://www.govtech.com/health/florida-gov-desantis-signs-bill-banning-vaccine-passports

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill into law that prohibits businesses and government agencies in the state from asking people for proof — digital passport or otherwise — of a COVID-19 vaccination.

DeSantis on April 2 issued an executive order blocking COVID-19 passports, which he said would create "huge" privacy issues that could result in people handing over medical information to a "big corporation." The law now makes the executive order permanent.

But yeah, great thing Florida is open. Nothing bad happened.

Florida had more new COVID-19 cases just in *schools* over the last 7 days than most states had across their entire population.

Nearly 3,700 this week in K12 cases alone.

Total new cases for all of Florida7 days: 27,125.
Rank in country: #51

(1 is best- 51 is worst)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2673 on: May 10, 2021, 06:11:58 AM »
yes it is...as wags said, and may i add, people who are leery of the vaccine's efficacy will rationalize their way out of getting the vaccine.  seeing potus out and about in obviously safe places will reinforce the vaccine is ok even though i  don't believe he even knows when he's wearing it or not.  hell, he had a panic attack at the podium when he couldn't find the damn thing(mask).  it was right in his pocket or folded up in his papers or something.  good thing dr j was there to calm him down with a big hug and some hot cocoa

What is it like to live in this fantasy world?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2674 on: May 10, 2021, 07:59:39 AM »
What is it like to live in this fantasy world?

It's difficult for rocket to fathom that the First Lady actually would hug the president or share a bed with him -- and that's understandable given that the previous FLOTUS couldn't stand being in the same room as her husband, even repeatedly slapped away his hand when he tried to hold hers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson