[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 377014 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2625 on: May 09, 2021, 12:46:07 AM »

Millions of people dead around the world and this very minor inconvenience is insanity?

How about people on your team discouraging people from getting vaccinated OR wearing a mask.  THAT is insanity!

The purpose of the actions in Canada is to save lives. The purpose of your side is to kill.

He’s not talking about masking.  He’s talking about 2 negative tests in 72 hours while fully vaccinated, and still needing to quarantine for 2 weeks and submit to yet another test. Nothing about that is “minor”

I’ve been dutifully wearing masks as long it’s been recommended but people that keep saying it’s NBD are disingenuous to me.  Walking in a store? Fine.  But trying to work out? Flying on a plane or riding a train for hours?  Being outside in warm temps where you perspire under your mask?  All of those suck, and it’s not some absurd selfish defiance to admit so.

The whole discussion is that the totally fair question of “when will masks end for the fully vaccinated” can’t be met with a logical answer or discussion without insults being thrown or political BS.

History aside, nothing Lenny said in that message was combative or political but we had to run right back to MAGA and murderous intent just cause he disagreed with you.  It’s f-ing exhausting

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2626 on: May 09, 2021, 04:18:03 AM »
Solid advice, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2627 on: May 09, 2021, 05:56:20 AM »
Things are moving back to normal and My guess is the next month will be the most frustrating in that regard. 

I mean Lenny the situation you describe is what we are trying to do everywhere (high community vaccinations/low spread).  So yeah of course it has been working and of course you don’t need to wear a mask in that environment.

My state is up to 70% eligible with first shot better than everywhere in the US and most of the world.  Spread and hospitalizations are crashing.  Most restrictions are ending very soon.  But I guess people have to fight and complain about something. 

Get vaccinated and this ends. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2628 on: May 09, 2021, 07:46:34 AM »
Wearing a mask has given you infections?

Yes

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2629 on: May 09, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »
Yes

You aren’t in the medical or scientific fields are you?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2630 on: May 09, 2021, 08:19:14 AM »
Yes

Can you explain this? What type of infections? The only thing I can think of is skin irritation that gets infected?

Before and after covid I wear masks for hours every day. Never had any infections from wearing them.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2631 on: May 09, 2021, 09:20:03 AM »
He’s not talking about masking.  He’s talking about 2 negative tests in 72 hours while fully vaccinated, and still needing to quarantine for 2 weeks and submit to yet another test. Nothing about that is “minor”

About 4 weeks ago, with one shot in my arm at the time, I subjected myself to the 72 hr. pre-test requirement at my own expense to facilitate our recent trip to Maui.  When I was there, I basically acquiesced to what I regarded as overly conservative masking requirements, especially outdoors, because I was a 'guest' although I refused to wear one at the beach where I think one was still technically required.  I'd speculate that most tourists played it about like I did.

Upon returning to the mainland, I got my second dose and traveled cross country back to Wisconsin.  I still carry a mask in my pocket at all times and gladly put it on when entering a big box retailer, for example.  But my days of subjecting myself to intrusive government oversight are over unless something were to dramatically change in the trajectory of the disease and I spend my time and dollars with that as a material factor in my decisioning process.  I suspect that's where many Americans are right now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2632 on: May 09, 2021, 09:30:56 AM »
Not to be overly argumentative, but haven’t you been pretty insistent on messaging being wrong in efforts to get people vaccinated, need more carrots and less of the stick.  If the fully vaccinated President is still wearing a mask alone outdoors, that’s gonna contribute far more to “what’s the point of the vaccine” than “oh he’s being respectful I should be too”

That's actually a pretty good point.  It's a fine line at least.

About 4 weeks ago, with one shot in my arm at the time, I subjected myself to the 72 hr. pre-test requirement at my own expense to facilitate our recent trip to Maui.  When I was there, I basically acquiesced to what I regarded as overly conservative masking requirements, especially outdoors, because I was a 'guest' although I refused to wear one at the beach where I think one was still technically required.  I'd speculate that most tourists played it about like I did.

Upon returning to the mainland, I got my second dose and traveled cross country back to Wisconsin.  I still carry a mask in my pocket at all times and gladly put it on when entering a big box retailer, for example.  But my days of subjecting myself to intrusive government oversight are over unless something were to dramatically change in the trajectory of the disease and I spend my time and dollars with that as a material factor in my decisioning process.  I suspect that's where many Americans are right now.

And this is why we are going to have to reach the point where we just have to rip off the band-aid.  People's tolerance for putting up with restrictions, especially when they are fully vaccinated, is going to wear thin. 

For instance, remember all the hand wringing when the Texas Rangers allowed full crowds at their games?  Well....

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/mlb/texas-rangers/article251216364.html
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2633 on: May 09, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »
I very much don't want to go down this path too far here Sultan, but I have a firm belief than many in the political class enjoy their power more than they should.  I'll leave it at that.

• All American
« Reply #2634 on: May 09, 2021, 09:49:18 AM »
I very much don't want to go down this path too far here Sultan, but I have a firm belief than many in the political class enjoy their power more than they should.  I'll leave it at that.

Nah.  I think the fear of making a premature mistake that will cause cases and deaths to spike is the biggest driver.  I don't understand what political power is gained by preventing people doing what they used to do.  Every governor knows that the political backlash from keeping restrictions in place too long is going to end their career.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2635 on: May 09, 2021, 09:50:00 AM »

I'd love to hear where this line is for different folks.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2636 on: May 09, 2021, 09:52:06 AM »
I'd love to hear where this line is for different folks.

We may find out in the 2022 elections, eh?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2637 on: May 09, 2021, 09:55:49 AM »
Nah.  I think the fear of making a premature mistake that will cause cases and deaths to spike is the biggest driver.  I don't understand what political power is gained by preventing people doing what they used to do.  Every governor knows that the political backlash from keeping restrictions in place too long is going to end their career.

either you are a very naive person or lying. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2638 on: May 09, 2021, 09:56:43 AM »

Perhaps.  I guess you have more faith in politicians than I do.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2639 on: May 09, 2021, 09:57:10 AM »

Nah, power and control are the drivers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2640 on: May 09, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »

I’ve been dutifully wearing masks as long it’s been recommended but people that keep saying it’s NBD are disingenuous to me.  Walking in a store? Fine.  But trying to work out? Flying on a plane or riding a train for hours?  Being outside in warm temps where you perspire under your mask?  All of those suck, and it’s not some absurd selfish defiance to admit so.

The whole discussion is that the totally fair question of “when will masks end for the fully vaccinated” can’t be met with a logical answer or discussion without insults being thrown or political BS.

History aside, nothing Lenny said in that message was combative or political but we had to run right back to MAGA and murderous intent just cause he disagreed with you.  It’s f-ing exhausting

Fabulous post. Nailed everything.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2641 on: May 09, 2021, 09:59:39 AM »
If Fr. Fauci says its over, his 15 minutes of fame are up and he becomes irrelevant, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #2642 on: May 09, 2021, 10:01:36 AM »
  either you are a very naive person or lying. 
Perhaps.  I guess you have more faith in politicians than I do.
Nah, power and control are the drivers, hey?

I know I've nailed a point when these three disagree with me.  Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:31:16 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2643 on: May 09, 2021, 10:10:15 AM »
The vaccine essentially takes hospitalization and death off the table even if you are one of the unlucky 5-28% who could be infected after full vaccination. If I told you to buy a lottery ticket for tonight's drawing since you would have a 72-95% chance of winning the jackpot, everyone would run to the corner gas station with dollars in hand. So, what's the big deal? Those who are still skeptical or fearful can remain that way and don't have to change. But, let the rest of us carry on as we did pre-March 2020. Follow the science because its real, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #2644 on: May 09, 2021, 10:11:35 AM »
The vaccine essentially takes hospitalization and death off the table even if you are one of the unlucky 5-28% who could be infected after full vaccination. If I told you to buy a lottery ticket for tonight's drawing since you would have a 72-95% chance of winning the jackpot, everyone would run to the corner gas station with dollars in hand. So, what's the big deal? Those who are still skeptical or fearful can remain that way and don't have to change. But, let the rest of us carry on as we did pre-March 2020. Follow the science because its real, hey?

Agreed. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2645 on: May 09, 2021, 10:26:58 AM »
I may have missed it, but has anything definitive come out yet about vaccinated people spreading the disease? Between that and the just making it easier for places to enforce mask requirements, I am not too annoyed about wearing a mask.

However, I think we are getting close to the point of if you aren’t willing to get vaccinated, I shouldn’t have to inconvenience myself with a mask to protect you.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2646 on: May 09, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »

I know I've nailed a point when these three disagree.  Thanks guys!

Actually my friend, I think all three of us agree which might just mean you're wrong!  Oh, the horror!!!  ;D  Unfortunately, some of us get unnecessarily belligerent at times.  :(  Have an awesome day Sultan.

Oh, and thanks for that tidbit on the Rangers opener.  I hadn't heard anything since the breathless uproar 6 weeks ago.  Somehow I'm not surprised one bit.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:47:10 AM by jsglow »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2647 on: May 09, 2021, 10:31:48 AM »
However, I think we are getting close to the point of if you aren’t willing to get vaccinated, I shouldn’t have to inconvenience myself with a mask to protect you.

Agreed - we're *close*.  I think that essentially comes Jul 1.  Hopefully...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2648 on: May 09, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »
Agreed - we're *close*.  I think that essentially comes Jul 1.  Hopefully...

Rocky, by Memorial Day every American 16 and over who want 2 doses can have 2 doses but let's not quarrel over 30 days.  And 'stressing the system' over the summer is probably a good thing.

Slightly off topic, I was heartened to hear a Summerfest official when announcing the Fall line-up answer 'Absolutely Not!' when asked a question about any possible Covid cancellation during the presser.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2649 on: May 09, 2021, 10:43:44 AM »
We may find out in the 2022 elections, eh?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback