Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who says renewing football at Marquette would cost $100 million?  (Read 36267 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Who says renewing football at Marquette would cost $100 million?
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
I don't know how you think lax would bring in revenue when it seems like the soccer teams lose so much and I would argue soccer is way more popular.

Who said anything about revenue?  If we're on the minimum number of sports needed for D1, then maybe starting a new sport isn't a terrible idea, and lacrosse would be way cheaper to start up, since they can play at Valley Fields.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2010, 09:44:16 PM »
I don't know how you think lax would bring in revenue when it seems like the soccer teams lose so much and I would argue soccer is way more popular.

I dont disagree with you but you have to take regionality into consideration. Sure, MU falls outside the hardcore lacrosse world but ND, Northwestern and Michigan are making in-roads into the midwest. I know its a stretch, but think of football as an example. Had we adopted and embraced football as a sport as early as we did, would MU be at least decent today? Now think about LAX. Its a sport in its infancy. There are double the number of D1 teams compared to 30 years ago. The best programs are investing under 2M per year. Who are those programs? John Hopkins and Syracuse. Are these programs investing because they hope LAX blows up over the NEXT 30 years and they possess the history? And thus get recruits, etc? I know its WAAAAY forward thinking but its worth a discussion. Afterall, the NCAA LAX championship used to be played IN THE MORNING on a Saturday. ESPN just recently moved it to mid-day. Why? Because they were being generous with their advertising dollars or because the Finals legitimately deserved the mid-day spot BECAUSE of advertising?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:40 PM »
I dont disagree with you but you have to take regionality into consideration. Sure, MU falls outside the hardcore lacrosse world but ND, Northwestern and Michigan are making in-roads into the midwest. I know its a stretch, but think of football as an example. Had we adopted and embraced football as a sport as early as we did, would MU be at least decent today? Now think about LAX. Its a sport in its infancy. There are double the number of D1 teams compared to 30 years ago. The best programs are investing under 2M per year. Who are those programs? John Hopkins and Syracuse. Are these programs investing because they hope LAX blows up over the NEXT 30 years and they possess the history? And thus get recruits, etc? I know its WAAAAY forward thinking but its worth a discussion. Afterall, the NCAA LAX championship used to be played IN THE MORNING on a Saturday. ESPN just recently moved it to mid-day. Why? Because they were being generous with their advertising dollars or because the Finals legitimately deserved the mid-day spot BECAUSE of advertising?
Probably due to Lacrosse being a very big East Coast game..and a game often associated with affluence.  Additionally, those who would tune in to a Lacrosse championship or game, likely have an Ive League or other strong East Coast school (Cuse) background, and the demographics that audience delivers would be a predominately educated, and affluent, group.  That always has value to advertisers, correct - as it is hard to segment/target just the affluent..but to be able to do so..is a valuable advdertising sell.  Just a theory.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
Probably due to Lacrosse being a very big East Coast game..and a game often associated with affluence.  Additionally, those who would tune in to a Lacrosse championship or game, likely have an Ive League or other strong East Coast school (Cuse) background, and the demographics that audience delivers would be a predominately educated, and affluent, group.  That always has value to advertisers, correct - as it is hard to segment/target just the affluent..but to be able to do so..is a valuable advdertising sell.  Just a theory.

TOTALLY DISAGREE. Who was "unarguably" the greatest LAX player of all time? Well, according to Dick Schaap, Jim Brown was. Oh, and he held the all-time points record until the Powell Brothers absolutely destroyed all the records (early 2000's). An affluent sport? The Powell brothers are by far and away the greatest players of all time and their dad worked overtime simply to pay for their sticks. I actually know one of them personally and he is the most humble kid you have ever met; you would never know he beat Jim Brown's record, wore a famous number at his program or has a gold medal. Nevermind the fact that the Ononadaga tribe has produced All-Americans in the sport. You think they grew up rich? They couldnt get passports to participate in the latest international tournament because England wont recognize Native passports(visas). You are very naive, child.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »

Sorry, but I cant get enough of your comment since I know several All=American LAX players. Where is the hotbed for college recruiting? 1) Long Island 2) Long Island 3) Central NY 4) Maryland

I think its a midwest assumption that Long Island is wealthy. In reality, its a big island...and not all parts are filled with Gordon Geko types. There are some poor areas....And these areas are where some of the best LAX players of all time come from. Silver spoon? Hardly. Feel free to google the Powell brothers (Casey, Ryan and Mike). I know one of them personally and he's living the dream (getting paid for what he does after breaking Jim Brown's record; USA gold metal winner).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2010, 12:26:59 AM »
Back in the day there was a strong consideration to adding women's crew and women's golf.  Very little cost involved in terms of facilities and equipment.

john_cocktoasten

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2010, 08:09:10 AM »
Add a hockey team

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
The deciding factor here is motivation.  Is there a reason to add a sport, any sport for that matter, at MU?

The only reason MU would add football at this juncture is a) if MU decides that affiliation with a major conference is essential to the institution and b) football is necessary to maintain that affiliation.  Otherwise, it makes no financial sense whatsoever to bring back football at any level.

If - for whatever reason - MU needs to add a sport (e.g. the NCAA is raising the minimum sport offerings for D-I schools), then there are plenty of sports that can be added at a much lesser cost than football.  While LAX and crew may be the "sexy" choices, the fact remains that these are predominantly east coast sports and would be a challenge to catch on at MU.  A better option --- bowling.  It's cheap, the facilities are already in place, you can field both men's and women's teams, and recruiting would be a piece of cake.

The only other motivator IMO is cold hard cash.  However, if MU believed it could increase revenue by adding a specific sport, they probably would have done it by now.

EDIT - Only Women's Bowling is a varsity sport.  Who knew?  The fact remains there are cheaper options to add sports if necessary.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:28:10 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Archie

• Walk-On
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2010, 12:39:34 PM »
Maybe Lax is a good idea. Marquette has been trying very hard to expand their East Coast, as well as national, presence. Lax could help. It is not a silver bullet, but it could be one way to appeal to some kids.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:29 AM »
I think another relatively cheap one if we had to add a couple sports, at least in terms of facilities/equipment, would be swimming/diving. I don't know how many scholarships that typically is, but it can't be that bad...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2010, 08:22:56 AM »
I think another relatively cheap one if we had to add a couple sports, at least in terms of facilities/equipment, would be swimming/diving. I don't know how many scholarships that typically is, but it can't be that bad...

But why would they do that?  Why would they add a sport that gains the school no exposure, and increases costs, without increasing revenue?  At least football and lacrosse gives you the *potential* for exposure.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2010, 08:33:05 AM »
I think it would be a great idea, as long as they started it at the lower level DIII status, I played on the club football team in the 80's and we played DIII comp here in Wisconsin and in Illinois. Unfortunately, not many guys came out to play, most played on the rugby team. But we survived, it was a great experience.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2010, 08:34:18 AM »
Hockey would be the ideal, but even that has some hurdles to overcome....and its the one sport, along with Basketball, that fits best in Milwaukee.

Id like Lacrosse as well, if you could get those two sports and be competitive, I think its easier to survive without football.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »
Hockey would be the ideal, but even that has some hurdles to overcome....and its the one sport, along with Basketball, that fits best in Milwaukee.

Football is a much better fit for Milwaukee than hockey.  Milwaukee in general doesn't really care much about the sport (see the Admirals attendance for proof of that), and the recruiting base sucks.  Wisconsin pulls a good portion of its players out of Canada and from other parts around the country.  Not many of their players are from Wisconsin, and I can't think of one that ever came from the Milwaukee area.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2010, 10:45:23 AM »

But why would they do that?  Why would they add a sport that gains the school no exposure, and increases costs, without increasing revenue?  At least football and lacrosse gives you the *potential* for exposure.

If there was a scenario where MU had to add a sport in order to maintain D-I status, I'd like to think they would opt for the inexpensive rather than the exposure.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
If there was a scenario where MU had to add a sport in order to maintain D-I status, I'd like to think they would opt for the inexpensive rather than the exposure.

Under the current economic situations that schools are facing now, there is no way the NCAA will mandate additional sports.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2010, 03:55:07 PM »
Penn State decided to move it's hockey program to DI making it possible to get a Big Ten Hockey conference.

"That could create a domino effect for college hockey throughout the Midwest"
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5580469

Maybe hockey isn't as far fetched as it seems. Penn State needed $90 mil for the facilities but I'm sure we could use the Bradley or even the Cell. I still don't think it's likely, but personally, hockey is a great sport to add. If only it didn't run parallel to the basketball season.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2010, 04:03:01 PM »
I would love to see MU add hockey. 

If they would add bowling as a D1 sport, would MU use the Annex?  I would love to see other schools come to the Annex and we could throw popcorn at them as intimidation. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2010, 04:25:29 PM »
Penn State decided to move it's hockey program to DI making it possible to get a Big Ten Hockey conference.

"That could create a domino effect for college hockey throughout the Midwest"
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5580469

Maybe hockey isn't as far fetched as it seems. Penn State needed $90 mil for the facilities but I'm sure we could use the Bradley or even the Cell. I still don't think it's likely, but personally, hockey is a great sport to add. If only it didn't run parallel to the basketball season.

Where do they practice?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »
So how many resources for Men's hoops are all of you football fans willing to give up?

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2010, 05:53:24 PM »

Where do they practice?

Look I'm not saying it's probable. I was just going along with the theme of the thread. Hypothetically speaking, they'd practice at the Petit National Ice Center. Don't worry though, I know I have a better chance of playing basketball for the men's team than of hockey ever coming to MU, and I've never played organized basketball in my life.

feedback