'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mack to Louisville?  (Read 58042 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Mack to Louisville?
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »
I am not confident that Butler is going to keep the level of success moving forward. The odds of converting with another coaching change is long, IMO. I am concerned about Butler and X taking steps backwards and the affect it will have on the BE. It was my concern when BE came about and I was wrong, to this point. I have always felt betting on Butler, Creighton and X to be top 25 programs was a big roll of the dice.

Butler and Creighton I agree was a roll but X was a surer bet to be top 25 than all but us GTown and Nova at that point.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »
I am not confident that Butler is going to keep the level of success moving forward. The odds of converting with another coaching change is long, IMO. I am concerned about Butler and X taking steps backwards and the affect it will have on the BE. It was my concern when BE came about and I was wrong, to this point. I have always felt betting on Butler, Creighton and X to be top 25 programs was a big roll of the dice.

MU & Georgetown back on the upswing to take their rightful places with Villanova atop the conference. It's all good baby, X & Butler can take a step back as they should.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2018, 02:17:48 PM »
EFR

Think you might be reaching a bit by saying MU and GU will fill in the void of X and Butler backing up a bit. I do love how many on here are just optimistic by nature. I don't get it, but I like it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2018, 02:22:34 PM »

Butler has proven to be surprisingly resilient when it comes to hires. 6 of their last 7 coaches took teams to the tournament going back to Barry Collier. The only exception was the bizarre Brandon Miller story. I keep expecting them to fall off and they keep overachieving. Until proven otherwise, I trust them to make the right hire and expect Jordan will keep them competitive on a regular basis.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »
Butler has proven to be surprisingly resilient when it comes to hires. 6 of their last 7 coaches took teams to the tournament going back to Barry Collier. The only exception was the bizarre Brandon Miller story. I keep expecting them to fall off and they keep overachieving. Until proven otherwise, I trust them to make the right hire and expect Jordan will keep them competitive on a regular basis.

I'll be more worried when Butler has to replace Collier as AD.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
I'll be more worried when Butler has to replace Collier as AD.

Definitely a fair concern.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
Definitely a fair concern.

Barry Collier is Butler basketball.  He continues to do a remarkable job.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2018, 04:01:08 PM »

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2018/03/14/butler-basketball-exceeds-others-expectations-lavall-jordans-first-year/423969002/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »

I share your concern. The main thing that gives me hope is that all 3 schools have strong fan bases and are clearly committed to their programs. That doesn't guarantee success of course, but it increases the likelihood.

Honestly, I'm far more worried about DePaul and St. John's than any of those programs. They obviously keep us in the biggest media markets in the country and give us teams to beat more often than not, but their commitment to the programs is debatable.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »
I share your concern. The main thing that gives me hope is that all 3 schools have strong fan bases and are clearly committed to their programs. That doesn't guarantee success of course, but it increases the likelihood.

Honestly, I'm far more worried about DePaul and St. John's than any of those programs. They obviously keep us in the biggest media markets in the country and give us teams to beat more often than not, but their commitment to the programs is debatable.

The bolded statement is also very debatable
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »
The bolded statement is also very debatable

I was careful not to say always.

Even though we have been hot and cold over the last decade, we are still well over .500 against both.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2018, 04:42:19 PM »
Herman

Nice piece on Jordan, but does not change my opinion. As I stated, I have been wrong in my fears on three teams I noted and hope that continues. My gut says sooner or later Butler slips up and goes back to being Butler, which for years looked like Loyola.

MU is a ball school and have struck out half the time on hires. I hope MU is smarter than Butler in long haul, and if that is true, Butler hits a pothole one of these times. Same holds true at X. As for Creighton, I don’t get that program’s success at all. I think their coach is a major dud.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »
It's dumb and dangerous to let him make that decision.  Scoop knows better, always.

I was kinda shocked that he never consulted with us.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:14 PM »
MU & Georgetown back on the upswing to take their rightful places with Villanova atop the conference. It's all good baby, X & Butler can take a step back as they should.
Just curioud--what evidence do you have (other than opinion) that MU...is on the upswing to take ..a place with Villanova atop the conference"? We are a far cry from Villanova.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
Just curioud--what evidence do you have (other than opinion) that MU...is on the upswing to take ..a place with Villanova atop the conference"? We are a far cry from Villanova.

We lose one starter and a back of the bench player and bring in new players that are on par with or better than what most others have coming in. Most of our peers are losing a lot more
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2018, 06:52:37 PM »

Nice piece on Jordan, but does not change my opinion. As I stated, I have been wrong in my fears on three teams I noted and hope that continues. My gut says sooner or later Butler slips up and goes back to being Butler, which for years looked like Loyola.

Well, Butler has been strong since 1997, so Butler being Butler too most is winning.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2018, 07:10:08 PM »
Herman

MU is a ball school and have struck out half the time on hires. I hope MU is smarter than Butler in long haul, and if that is true, Butler hits a pothole one of these times. Same holds true at X. As for Creighton, I don’t get that program’s success at all. I think their coach is a major dud.
Butler has made the NCAA tournament 15 out of the last 20 years. NIT 3 out of the 5 they didn't make it. They play in an iconic  fully renovated fieldhouse in a very good city. Their program is here to stay.

Creighton has a long history and tradition of basketball success. 12 out of last 20 years in the NCAA and in NIT 6 out of 8 they didn't make it.  They play in a beautiful 18,500 seat NBA style arena that is sold out , with fans in the seats, even for the cupcakes. Their coach has a long history of success and experience. Their program is here to stay as well.

X has a long history and tradition of basketball success. They made the NCAA 17 out of the last 20 years and the NIT 2 out of the 3 they didn't . They play in a beautiful on campus arena that is sold out. They are here to stay as well.

Butler , Creighton and Xavier are central to the success of the Big East as currently configured and will be well into the future . They have healthy programs with huge fan interest. That is what college basketball is all about.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2018, 09:23:52 PM »
Butler has made the NCAA tournament 15 out of the last 20 years. NIT 3 out of the 5 they didn't make it. They play in an iconic  fully renovated fieldhouse in a very good city. Their program is here to stay.

Creighton has a long history and tradition of basketball success. 12 out of last 20 years in the NCAA and in NIT 6 out of 8 they didn't make it.  They play in a beautiful 18,500 seat NBA style arena that is sold out , with fans in the seats, even for the cupcakes. Their coach has a long history of success and experience. Their program is here to stay as well.

X has a long history and tradition of basketball success. They made the NCAA 17 out of the last 20 years and the NIT 2 out of the 3 they didn't . They play in a beautiful on campus arena that is sold out. They are here to stay as well.

Butler , Creighton and Xavier are central to the success of the Big East as currently configured and will be well into the future . They have healthy programs with huge fan interest. That is what college basketball is all about.

I tend to agree that all three programs are strong and relevant. And, as others have said, they are not the BE programs I worry about the most.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2018, 10:36:10 PM »
Herman

These programs have had a nice run and BE benefited from it. They are perennial tier two programs and will trend that way in the future. If MU can maintain top 25 program, I can assure you these donkeys have no chance.

Just because the young guns know these stiffs as being legit, history says otherwise. No chance these three are top 25 in a decade.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2018, 10:51:13 PM »
Creighton has a long history and tradition of basketball success. 12 out of last 20 years in the NCAA and in NIT 6 out of 8 they didn't make it.  They play in a beautiful 18,500 seat NBA style arena that is sold out , with fans in the seats, even for the cupcakes. Their coach has a long history of success and experience. Their program is here to stay as well. .

In fairness, if Marquette was in Omaha, we’d have 18,500 corn-fed butts in seats every game too.  But Milwaukee has this thing people call “stuff” they can do, and stuff they do.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2018, 12:01:39 AM »
Herman

These programs have had a nice run and BE benefited from it. They are perennial tier two programs and will trend that way in the future. If MU can maintain top 25 program, I can assure you these donkeys have no chance.

Just because the young guns know these stiffs as being legit, history says otherwise. No chance these three are top 25 in a decade.
I go back a long way and ,yes many years ago, these three teams were in the second tier compared to MU. Today they are solid peers of ours. Think of it this way, there are lots of  girls in high school that were homely, but there allways a few that when you see them at the 10 year reunion are Playmate of the Year material and you saw wow if only I knew... That is what happened to these three schools. They grew up and got pretty.

---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2018, 02:40:09 AM »
In fairness, if Marquette was in Omaha, we’d have 18,500 corn-fed butts in seats every game too.  But Milwaukee has this thing people call “stuff” they can do, and stuff they do.

Attendance...We do pretty well. But we can be better. If you're on the fence about attending a given MU home game next year, get off of it and go. Nothing beats being there. Camaraderie of friends and family, the best basketball arena in the world, a super fun-to-watch MU offense which is soon to be able to defend well too ("uh, oh... Happy learned how to putt!").

As much as I love what Loyola is achieving, MU82 and others are correct when they say this is a "blip on the radar" in Chicago sports annals. Chicago is a great American city, but there is a bit of a "soulless" nature here when it comes to college hoops... as it relates to Windy City sports identity.  The hierarchy is Bears, Cubs/// Bulls, Hawks///Sox. College basketball here may as well be harness racing. Let's not talk like Chicagoans. I love that Milwaukee has so much to do, but you'll never hear diehard Warrior fans discuss alternatives to attending MU games. Do those things other nights.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2018, 05:42:25 AM »
Herman

27 tournament appearances since 1983, 8 sweet 16s, 3 elite 8s. Either it's been 35yrs of you saying Xavier will trend back as a tier two team or you haven't realized how much they've changed since Al used to make fun of them.

History helps for bragging rights and prestige but has little to no bearing on the future when the 17yr olds you recruit have only ever known the program as good.

To put it another way, I'm sure there were programs in 77 that were saying Marquette hit gold with Al but now that he's retiring they've historically been a tier 2 team and will trend back to that. But 40yrs later and we've still managed to be pretty darn good (20 appearances, 6 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s, a FF)
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »
27 tournament appearances since 1983, 8 sweet 16s, 3 elite 8s. Either it's been 35yrs of you saying Xavier will trend back as a tier two team or you haven't realized how much they've changed since Al used to make fun of them.

History helps for bragging rights and prestige but has little to no bearing on the future when the 17yr olds you recruit have only ever known the program as good.

To put it another way, I'm sure there were programs in 77 that were saying Marquette hit gold with Al but now that he's retiring they've historically been a tier 2 team and will trend back to that. But 40yrs later and we've still managed to be pretty darn good (20 appearances, 6 sweet 16s, 2 elite 8s, a FF)

This sure seems like a reasonable and logical take to me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »
This sure seems like a reasonable and logical take to me.

Yeah, so what the heck is it doing on Scoop? ;)