'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Remember, Remember  (Read 6740 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Remember, Remember
« on: October 30, 2023, 08:34:05 AM »
Come out of the gates quickly in November.  We're a week away!!  I think our experience should give us an advantage with the difficult schedule but make no mistake, we will have our hands full. Do we have an NIU scouting report?  I think it's vitally important to hit the trifecta before heading to Hawaii.

MU82

• All American
Re: Remember, Remember
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 08:58:40 AM »
I'll do everything in my power to make sure Marquette has a hot start to the season.

For one thing, I won't expect a victory over Northern Illinois, Because everybody knows that when fans do such things, it directly affects the team's performance on the court.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 09:03:30 AM »
Come out of the gates quickly in November.  We're a week away!!  I think our experience should give us an advantage with the difficult schedule but make no mistake, we will have our hands full. Do we have an NIU scouting report?  I think it's vitally important to hit the trifecta before heading to Hawaii.

Cracked Sidewalks has done previews for all Marquette opponents and have posted them on Scoop. If you go here and look at the archive, you can find all of them.

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 09:04:34 AM »
2-3 vs D-I teams by the time we head home from Oahu. But, there will be no bad losses.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 11:40:16 AM »
2-3 vs D-I teams by the time we head home from Oahu. But, there will be no bad losses.

Dang, JB.  Hope you are wrong and MU isn’t clawing its way back into the top 25 all year or just outside of it. That would be a reality check.  Because with MUs continuity they should have an advantage out of the gate.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 12:48:46 PM »

Agreed 100%.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 12:49:30 PM »
Dang, JB.  Hope you are wrong and MU isn’t clawing its way back into the top 25 all year or just outside of it. That would be a reality check.  Because with MUs continuity they should have an advantage out of the gate.

Our schedule is tough. 2-3 would mean we lost to 3 good teams, all away from home

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 12:58:19 PM »
Our schedule is tough. 2-3 would mean we lost to 3 good teams, all away from home

Scoop will be melting down.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 12:59:31 PM »
I'm going to hold off on predictions about how we'll fare in Hawaii until I see the Illinois game. I think Champaign has historically been a tough place for visitors to play and UI is supposed to be good this year. An MU win there will really get me geeked up for the 3 games in Hawaii.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 01:11:39 PM »
I'm going to hold off on predictions about how we'll fare in Hawaii until I see the Illinois game. I think Champaign has historically been a tough place for visitors to play and UI is supposed to be good this year. An MU win there will really get me geeked up for the 3 games in Hawaii.

Yeah...I have in my mind that the Illinois game this year could be a bit like the Baylor game last year (though it was in MKE). If we pound Illinois like we did Baylor, I'm definitively going to be super optimistic heading to Hawaii. And, as mentioned above, losing games in Hawaii will likely be to strong teams.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 01:59:57 PM »

COLE

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 02:02:08 PM »

Stone cold lock.
I am attending the game at Illinois, and MU has not lost when I've been in attendance since 2017.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 02:14:21 PM »
I have a 5 point plan to attack my MU fandom with violence and vehemence.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 02:16:49 PM »
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 02:29:11 PM »
I agree with this analysis.

Yes, we know.  You think they’re going to finish .500 this year
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2023, 02:37:29 PM »
COLE

are any less valid than high expectations.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 05:54:34 PM »
how are we talking about their record after 6 games already?

We have been told many times on this board to only look at the next game....

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2023, 05:56:39 PM »
how are we talking about their record after 6 games already?

We have been told many times on this board to only look at the next game....

Wait I thought we weren’t allowed an opinion until we get to five years worth of games.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 06:01:00 PM »

I saw us win at U of I when KO was at the helm and Tony Miller was our PG. Illinois was highly ranked, led by Richard Keane. Four of us took a limo from Chicago (including former Illini standout Perry Range). Marcus Liberty was redshirting and he joined us for a couple of Michelobs in the limo after the game. Fun times.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2023, 06:04:33 PM »

CONE (Cult of no exceptions)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2023, 06:08:14 PM »
JB could be right…and we could still be in the top 25.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 08:11:42 PM »
True.  I just don’t want to test the theory.  Would be nice to go into Oahu with momentum, undefeated and beat UCLA.  Would like to stay top ten all year.  Non MU friends who usually give the courtesy ask about how MU will be this year are now paying attention because of the top 5 ranking.  A top ten ranking means something to sports fans who would normally not pay attention.  I’d like the team to keep this casual interest all year.

Either way, all that matters is the NCAA tournament but it would be nice to go in as a dominant team with an impressive resume and that starts in November.  Would be fun to truly live up to that ranking.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2023, 02:40:50 AM »
To say Marquette comes home from Hawaii at 2-3 means losses to IL, UCLA and a loss to one of Syracuse, TN, Purdue or Gonzaga.

Not happening. And the complete lack of figurative fan balls to think that’s going to happen is something else.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 03:17:40 AM by Vander Blue Man Group »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2023, 08:10:53 AM »
To say Marquette comes home from Hawaii at 2-3 means losses to IL, UCLA and a loss to one of Syracuse, TN, Purdue or Gonzaga.

Not happening. And the complete lack of figurative fan balls to think that’s going to happen is something else.

KenPom & torvik project a loss at Illinois. Both project a narrow win vs UCLA (56-59% probability).  Zags, tenn & Purdue all ahead of us in both.

It’s not some crazy scenario.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2023, 09:24:44 AM »
How the models are designed impact that heavily. I think Pomeroy uses the past 5 years of data for a baseline, so when you see Marquette at #11, the Wojo years are having a big impact on that.

I asked him if coaches impact that (so does having Shaka now instead of Wojo offset that) and he said no, he's just looking at program rankings.

Because of that, it's not just possible but highly, highly probable that the computer models have us artificially low to start the season.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback