[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Remember, Remember  (Read 6629 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Remember, Remember
« on: October 30, 2023, 08:34:05 AM »
Come out of the gates quickly in November.  We're a week away!!  I think our experience should give us an advantage with the difficult schedule but make no mistake, we will have our hands full. Do we have an NIU scouting report?  I think it's vitally important to hit the trifecta before heading to Hawaii.

MU82

• All American
Re: Remember, Remember
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 08:58:40 AM »
I'll do everything in my power to make sure Marquette has a hot start to the season.

For one thing, I won't expect a victory over Northern Illinois, Because everybody knows that when fans do such things, it directly affects the team's performance on the court.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 09:03:30 AM »
Come out of the gates quickly in November.  We're a week away!!  I think our experience should give us an advantage with the difficult schedule but make no mistake, we will have our hands full. Do we have an NIU scouting report?  I think it's vitally important to hit the trifecta before heading to Hawaii.

Cracked Sidewalks has done previews for all Marquette opponents and have posted them on Scoop. If you go here and look at the archive, you can find all of them.

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 09:04:34 AM »
2-3 vs D-I teams by the time we head home from Oahu. But, there will be no bad losses.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 11:40:16 AM »
2-3 vs D-I teams by the time we head home from Oahu. But, there will be no bad losses.

Dang, JB.  Hope you are wrong and MU isn’t clawing its way back into the top 25 all year or just outside of it. That would be a reality check.  Because with MUs continuity they should have an advantage out of the gate.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 12:48:46 PM »

Agreed 100%.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 12:49:30 PM »
Dang, JB.  Hope you are wrong and MU isn’t clawing its way back into the top 25 all year or just outside of it. That would be a reality check.  Because with MUs continuity they should have an advantage out of the gate.

Our schedule is tough. 2-3 would mean we lost to 3 good teams, all away from home

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 12:58:19 PM »
Our schedule is tough. 2-3 would mean we lost to 3 good teams, all away from home

Scoop will be melting down.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 12:59:31 PM »
I'm going to hold off on predictions about how we'll fare in Hawaii until I see the Illinois game. I think Champaign has historically been a tough place for visitors to play and UI is supposed to be good this year. An MU win there will really get me geeked up for the 3 games in Hawaii.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 01:11:39 PM »
I'm going to hold off on predictions about how we'll fare in Hawaii until I see the Illinois game. I think Champaign has historically been a tough place for visitors to play and UI is supposed to be good this year. An MU win there will really get me geeked up for the 3 games in Hawaii.

Yeah...I have in my mind that the Illinois game this year could be a bit like the Baylor game last year (though it was in MKE). If we pound Illinois like we did Baylor, I'm definitively going to be super optimistic heading to Hawaii. And, as mentioned above, losing games in Hawaii will likely be to strong teams.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 01:59:57 PM »

COLE

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 02:02:08 PM »

Stone cold lock.
I am attending the game at Illinois, and MU has not lost when I've been in attendance since 2017.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 02:14:21 PM »
I have a 5 point plan to attack my MU fandom with violence and vehemence.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 02:16:49 PM »
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 02:29:11 PM »
I agree with this analysis.

Yes, we know.  You think they’re going to finish .500 this year
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2023, 02:37:29 PM »
COLE

are any less valid than high expectations.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 05:54:34 PM »
how are we talking about their record after 6 games already?

We have been told many times on this board to only look at the next game....

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2023, 05:56:39 PM »
how are we talking about their record after 6 games already?

We have been told many times on this board to only look at the next game....

Wait I thought we weren’t allowed an opinion until we get to five years worth of games.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 06:01:00 PM »

I saw us win at U of I when KO was at the helm and Tony Miller was our PG. Illinois was highly ranked, led by Richard Keane. Four of us took a limo from Chicago (including former Illini standout Perry Range). Marcus Liberty was redshirting and he joined us for a couple of Michelobs in the limo after the game. Fun times.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2023, 06:04:33 PM »

CONE (Cult of no exceptions)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2023, 06:08:14 PM »
JB could be right…and we could still be in the top 25.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 08:11:42 PM »
True.  I just don’t want to test the theory.  Would be nice to go into Oahu with momentum, undefeated and beat UCLA.  Would like to stay top ten all year.  Non MU friends who usually give the courtesy ask about how MU will be this year are now paying attention because of the top 5 ranking.  A top ten ranking means something to sports fans who would normally not pay attention.  I’d like the team to keep this casual interest all year.

Either way, all that matters is the NCAA tournament but it would be nice to go in as a dominant team with an impressive resume and that starts in November.  Would be fun to truly live up to that ranking.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2023, 02:40:50 AM »
To say Marquette comes home from Hawaii at 2-3 means losses to IL, UCLA and a loss to one of Syracuse, TN, Purdue or Gonzaga.

Not happening. And the complete lack of figurative fan balls to think that’s going to happen is something else.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 03:17:40 AM by Vander Blue Man Group »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2023, 08:10:53 AM »
To say Marquette comes home from Hawaii at 2-3 means losses to IL, UCLA and a loss to one of Syracuse, TN, Purdue or Gonzaga.

Not happening. And the complete lack of figurative fan balls to think that’s going to happen is something else.

KenPom & torvik project a loss at Illinois. Both project a narrow win vs UCLA (56-59% probability).  Zags, tenn & Purdue all ahead of us in both.

It’s not some crazy scenario.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2023, 09:24:44 AM »
How the models are designed impact that heavily. I think Pomeroy uses the past 5 years of data for a baseline, so when you see Marquette at #11, the Wojo years are having a big impact on that.

I asked him if coaches impact that (so does having Shaka now instead of Wojo offset that) and he said no, he's just looking at program rankings.

Because of that, it's not just possible but highly, highly probable that the computer models have us artificially low to start the season.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2023, 09:27:22 AM »
And after Carolina ground us into dust i think we finished the Morsell-Lewis year at a mere 55.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2023, 10:43:58 AM »
KenPom & torvik project a loss at Illinois. Both project a narrow win vs UCLA (56-59% probability).  Zags, tenn & Purdue all ahead of us in both.

It’s not some crazy scenario.

Sure, we could lose any of those 3 games.  However, the likelihood we lose *all* 3 is minimal.  Subjectively, I also really don't get the lack of confidence.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2023, 10:46:46 AM »
Starting out 2-0 at home against Northern Illinois and Rider probably isn't going to tell us too much. But an early season road win at Illinois is going to boost my confidence level even higher than it already is ( and it's currently pretty high).

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2023, 10:50:33 AM »
Dribbler

My confidence level is growing by the day. I think that this group has what it takes to be a special team. There is a lot of confidence within the team and it seems like real confidence, not just talk.

Quick sidebar, I saw Shaka leave after the Blue Gold lunch yesterday and he sat in the last row of an extended van. Another example of why I like him so much.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2023, 10:59:36 AM »
Yup Goose, exciting times for sure.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2023, 11:20:11 AM »
Quick sidebar, I saw Shaka leave after the Blue Gold lunch yesterday and he sat in the last row of an extended van. Another example of why I like him so much.

My kind of leader, Goose. Love it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2023, 11:30:21 AM »
Sure, we could lose any of those 3 games.  However, the likelihood we lose *all* 3 is minimal.  Subjectively, I also really don't get the lack of confidence.

If by minimal you mean ~10%, yes.

I’m just mentally preparing myself to be OK if the Maui Inv doesn’t go our way (I will be in attendance)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2023, 11:34:16 AM »
How the models are designed impact that heavily. I think Pomeroy uses the past 5 years of data for a baseline, so when you see Marquette at #11, the Wojo years are having a big impact on that.

I asked him if coaches impact that (so does having Shaka now instead of Wojo offset that) and he said no, he's just looking at program rankings.

Because of that, it's not just possible but highly, highly probable that the computer models have us artificially low to start the season.

So your saying.... 5 years to judge?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2023, 11:35:22 AM »

I can't remember if Jay bee was a wojo slurp or not... however there's still a bunch of setting low expectations going on around here like the dark days.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2023, 11:40:32 AM »
Jay Bee

I think they are going to fare well in Maui. A veteran team early in the season is always a plus, especially a very good veteran team.
It would not surprise me if they won the thing. IMO, it is an opportunity to set the tone for the entire season.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2023, 12:02:38 PM »
Jay Bee

I think they are going to fare well in Maui. A veteran team early in the season is always a plus, especially a very good veteran team.
It would not surprise me if they won the thing. IMO, it is an opportunity to set the tone for the entire season.

I agree. UCLA, KU… very good, with multiple future pros … early timing helps us. But I will feel like they’re close to coin flip games. Hopefully my shouting from the stands will give them a boost

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2023, 04:52:44 PM »
I can't remember if Jay bee was a wojo slurp or not... however there's still a bunch of setting low expectations going on around here like the dark days.

JB is smart and analytical. Ergo, he was definitely not a Wojo slurper.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2023, 06:13:39 PM »
Jay Bee knows his stuff and I respect his posts on MU ball. That said, I think there is a lot more than analytics and do not always agree with posts. Not to drag Markus Howard into the thread but I remember a good debate with Jay Bee regarding Howard over a number of bourbons. While we might not always agree on his basketball takes, I agree with 99.9% of his non ball takes on scoop.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2023, 07:45:49 PM »
You won't find anybody to admit they loved Wojo, but there are plenty out there
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2023, 09:20:06 PM »

I liked Wojo……but I also understand that it was time to move on.

Everything isn’t black and white……..he was a good guy……who tried his best…..and his players represented the university well…….he just didn’t win enough.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2023, 09:57:14 PM »
Get a loss out of the way in November so we turn the corner into December and kick Red’s a$$.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2023, 11:47:04 PM »

There's quite a few people who freely admit they stayed on the wojo train for a few stops to many.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2023, 08:31:55 AM »
I liked Wojo……but I also understand that it was time to move on.

Everything isn’t black and white……..he was a good guy……who tried his best…..and his players represented the university well…….he just didn’t win enough.

Totally agree with this. Wojo seemed like a good man who, in time, might become a better coach. If that makes us "slurpers", I'm in.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2023, 08:33:42 AM »
There's quite a few people who freely admit they stayed on the wojo train for a few stops to many.

I did.  I was pro-jo to the end.  Not proud of it - just didn't have the imagination I guess to see we could get someone like Shaka to take over and create a distinct culture and recruit to it (in that sense he is alot like Buzz).

What Wojo did that had me in his corner was his success in recruiting blue chip players, McDonald's All Americans for the first time since Hank.  I thought that was permanently out of MUs reach until he started doing it and he was doing it pretty much to the point he was fired.  His last recruiting class was amazing when you consider Aidoo was part of that class too.  I was of the mind set that post Al MUs biggest structural weakness that would prevent it from becoming elite again was its lack of cache to beat the likes of UNC for top tier talent and iirc I think Wojo did that with Dawson.  Totally my bad as Buzz showed you could do it with a culture and recruiting to it but I thought Buzz was the first step that Wojo exploited to recruiting at an elite level.  .I am really glad to have been so wrong

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2023, 08:54:56 AM »
   I always root for MU to succeed and therefore rooted for Wojo to succeed while he coached at MU. 
  I thought Wojo was an average coach.   I understood why MU hired him.    One of the first things I posted about it was that his success at MU would be predicated on his ability to outgrow his Duke roots.
   I liked that he landed high level recruits.   I criticized his man to man schemes with two sub 6 foot guards, his lack of big guards/switchables/lack of team speed.   
   I posted that he was a paint by numbers game coach.   He rarely showed imagination or outside the box thinking, so I would point it out when he did.
    I argued that MU would not fire a coach in the midst of a 5 year run averaging 20 wins per year.   They didn't.   I did not think MU had the money to fire him and that COVID would give him a mulligan.  I was wrong about that, fortunately.
    I never called for his firing.   Not my style.   Plus, there is just enough contrarian in me that watching some posters lose their mind toward me was so entertaining and belly laugh generating that I couldn't give it up.
   I don't miss him.   I also bear no animus toward him.   MU basketball is now in a better place.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2023, 08:57:55 AM »
   I always root for MU to succeed and therefore rooted for Wojo to succeed while he coached at MU. 
  I thought Wojo was an average coach.   I understood why MU hired him.    One of the first things I posted about it was that his success at MU would be predicated on his ability to outgrow his Duke roots.
   I liked that he landed high level recruits.   I criticized his man to man schemes with two sub 6 foot guards, his lack of big guards/switchables/lack of team speed.   
   I posted that he was a paint by numbers game coach.   He rarely showed imagination or outside the box thinking, so I would point it out when he did.
    I argued that MU would not fire a coach in the midst of a 5 year run averaging 20 wins per year.   They didn't.   I did not think MU had the money to fire him and that COVID would give him a mulligan.  I was wrong about that, fortunately.
    I never called for his firing.   Not my style.   Plus, there is just enough contrarian in me that watching some posters lose their mind toward me was so entertaining and belly laugh generating that I couldn't give it up.
   I don't miss him.   I also bear no animus toward him.   MU basketball is now in a better place.

I find your failure to hate former coaches quite disgusting

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2023, 09:13:49 AM »

Except Kevin O'Neill. He tells funny stories and swears a lot. Ditto Mike Deane but he gets points deducted for wearing those glasses.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2023, 09:14:10 AM »
Phew.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2023, 09:17:33 AM »
Except Kevin O'Neill. He tells funny stories and swears a lot. Ditto Mike Deane but he gets points deducted for wearing those glasses.

I probably need someone to chart what ex-coaches are ok to like and which ones we hate since it’s a huge area of discourse about the current program

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2023, 09:46:58 AM »
I probably need someone to chart what ex-coaches are ok to like and which ones we hate since it’s a huge area of discourse about the current program

Coach you should worship: Al

Coaches you should like: Shaka, O'Neill, Majerus

Coach you should like unless you are a Mequon-based dentist: Crean

Coach you should like because they are one step removed from MJ and Kobe: Winter

Coaches you feel neutral about: Deanne, Raymonds

Coach you should hate: Wojo

Coach you should hate, but he's dead and you would feel bad: Dukiet

Coaches from the stone age: Hickey, Chandler, Nagle, Lipe, Murray, Ryan Risch

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2023, 10:23:16 AM »
Buzz?

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2023, 10:28:25 AM »
Buzz?

Coach you should just simply forget: Buzz

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2023, 12:48:16 PM »
Majerus had a worse winning percentage than Hank, Buzz, Crean and Deane; unlike those 4 - and even Wojo - he never got Marquette into the  NCAAT.

I'd argue that Rick was the most "frustrating" post-Al coach for MU fans. We desperately wanted to love him for his contribution during the dynastic years and for his fun personality ... but ultimately, whether it was too much pressure for him or he wasn't quite ready or whatever, he couldn't come close to returning the program to greatness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2023, 12:51:47 PM »
Majerus had a worse winning percentage than Hank, Buzz, Crean and Deane; unlike those 4 - and even Wojo - he never got Marquette into the  NCAAT.

I'd argue that Rick was the most "frustrating" post-Al coach for MU fans. We desperately wanted to love him for his contribution during the dynastic years and for his fun personality ... but ultimately, whether it was too much pressure for him or he wasn't quite ready or whatever, he couldn't come close to returning the program to greatness.

Yeah, but he treated campers like trash and took dumps in front of them

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2023, 01:57:30 PM »

There are very few statements made on this Board that I would agree with more, than I agree with this one. I might have been even a little tougher, but your post sums it up.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2023, 02:04:18 PM »
Yeah, but he treated campers like trash and took dumps in front of them

When did D-1 coaches stop using white gym towels and fecal matter as props? Started the softening of American youth, IMO.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2023, 02:27:28 PM »
I saw us win at U of I when KO was at the helm and Tony Miller was our PG. Illinois was highly ranked, led by Richard Keane. Four of us took a limo from Chicago (including former Illini standout Perry Range). Marcus Liberty was redshirting and he joined us for a couple of Michelobs in the limo after the game. Fun times.

This is some classic stuff. 🤣

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2023, 03:05:56 PM »
Lenny

Was your buddy Dick R. along for that trip? Sounds like a trip he would have fit in well on.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2023, 03:14:18 PM »

Jay is a numbers guy.  Probably one of the more reliable guys on the site for basketball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2023, 09:45:40 AM »
Just about 36 hours. Just doing a welfare check on Muggsy.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »

Ha!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2023, 02:08:00 PM »

I'm fine and in perfect condition right now.  Ty.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2023, 02:50:14 PM »
I'm fine and in perfect condition right now.  Ty.

Good to hear.

About 27 hours. We need you, brother.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2023, 07:36:33 PM »
We're 24 hrs away!!  How is everyone preparing?  :)

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2023, 07:40:25 PM »

Sleeping, going to work, making a dinner of some sort, watching the game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2023, 07:43:34 PM »
Installed the app.   Scratched my butt.   Belched.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »
I'm watching the 2003 E8 game. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2023, 07:53:48 PM »
Just listened to my official MU Pump Up Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVj8FgMMAK8

Will be traveling during game time. Will try to stream games on Delta if I have one of their Decent Wifi connections.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2023, 07:54:11 PM »

JB is a dynamo. Not only does he understand the analytics side, but he can take those data points and use his actual hoops knowledge to offer unique takes. Sure beats some of the others here who just regurgitate stats from Kenpom.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2023, 07:57:15 PM »

23 hours now!!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2023, 08:02:00 PM »
23 hours now!!!

Isn't the game at 5:30 Pacific?

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2023, 08:09:39 PM »
Isn't the game at 5:30 Pacific?

Nope. 7:30 Central.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2023, 08:33:25 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2023, 08:36:54 PM »
Sleeping, going to work, making a dinner of some sort, watching the game.

Crazy. It’s like you read my mind.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2023, 07:24:31 AM »
Easy on the caffeine today….

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »
Easy on the caffeine today….

I'm trying!   Got to work at 6 so I have plenty of time to focus when I get home before the game.  Let's go now!!

feedback