[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Wojo to Howard: “You don’t have to go it alone”  (Read 6514 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
If you don't care for the words or analysis, stay for the video of Wojo talking to Howard.

https://painttouches.com/2020/02/10/wojo-to-howard-you-dont-have-to-go-it-alone/

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Wojo to Howard: “You don’t have to go it alone”
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:42:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Obviously didn't know what was being said watching from the upper deck, but it was clearly an important moment watching live.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »
I liked this a lot, Andrei. Well-written, and great use of videos.

I hadn't seen the Wojo/Markus chat video until just now, and it was enlightening.

By the expression on his face - or lack of one, really - Markus didn't seem overjoyed. Then again, he could have just been tired. And he did nod his head at the end.

A lot of Scoopers are taking a pretty big leap in assuming that this is the first time Wojo has had this kind of interaction with Markus. I, for one, have no idea if this is the first, third, 10th or 50th time they've discussed this.

It's easy to say, "It's about time! Why didn't he do this last year or earlier this year?" Especially if we don't know what Wojo has said to Markus and when over these last couple of years.

It took Phil Jackson years to get Michael to buy in, and Michael STILL almost always took it all on himself. Same with Phil and Kobe. I obviously am not saying Markus = Michael ... but he kinda IS our Michael; and we really don't have a Scottie on our roster.

It's all interesting, Andrei, and I thank you for doing this blog post. Like other Scoopers, I applaud Wojo for working to get Markus to buy into the team thing more. Hopefully Markus takes it as the constructive criticism that it is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 12:01:11 PM »
Just watched the sequence that led up to that talk...
- Koby Offensive foul
- Markus draws an offensive foul (gets leveled)
- Markus chucks a three that hits the side of the backboard
- Baldwin hits a tough shot (by Sacar and over Jayce)
- Markus passes to Sacar who gets fouled (and goes to the line)
- Wojo has chat with Markus.

Based on that, I'm guessing it was more reinforcing things - and perhaps because of the quick chuck. But it's not like Howard was out of control by taking a charge and passing to Sacar.  There's even a chance Markus said something to Wojo before Wojo uttered those words.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »
Fantastic article, Andrei. This exemplifies what Marquette needs to both to reach their heights as a team and for Markus to have his best NPOY shot.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 12:03:47 PM »
Just watched the sequence that led up to that talk...
- Koby Offensive foul
- Markus draws an offensive foul (gets leveled)
- Markus chucks a three that hits the side of the backboard
- Baldwin hits a tough shot (by Sacar and over Jayce)
- Markus passes to Sacar who gets fouled (and goes to the line)
- Wojo has chat with Markus.

Based on that, I'm guessing it was more reinforcing things - and perhaps because of the quick chuck. But it's not like Howard was out of control by taking a charge and passing to Sacar.  There's even a chance Markus said something to Wojo before Wojo uttered those words.

Superb post. Agree with every word.

The video of Wojo's brief chat with Markus was outstanding ... but as you (and I) said, there are a lot of unanswered questions.

I'm still glad Wojo had the chat, and I remain thrilled that we have had Markus Howard on our team for 4 years.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
Markus shouldn't have to play 38 minutes and score 40+ points for Marquette to win. In two of our best victories of the season, Markus arguably did more with less:

Purdue
32 minutes, 12 shots (23% of team's 52 attempts), 18 points

Butler
32 minutes, 11 shots (21% of team's 51 attempts), 17 points

Those also happen to be two of Marquette's best defensive performances. It's an awesome thing to behold when Markus goes into God mode and takes over a game. But MU is at its best when they're playing great team defense and getting everyone involved.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

burger

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »
OK.....This is a clear copyright violation and I want royalties.....

Posted this at 7:08 AM before the article went out......Pasting:

Thats great.....But when Wojo "reigned" Markus in with that "conversation" on the sidelines.....It looked like Markus wanted to cry.....

That being said.....

Give credit to WOJO for "reigning" Markus in.....

Also give credit to Markus for being "coached" and deferring to rest of the team.....

Also....Also.....Give credit to "THE TEAM" for stepping up.....

That is what the Hauser's wanted last year and it did not happen in the last 6 games......This was a significant event yesterday......

GO TEAM!

Just kidding.....But everybody that saw the sequence of events knew what was going on......Especially by the look on Markus's face.....

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
Love it. If only because it shows us a side that we mostly speculate about with "coaching" and communication. Feels good to have the team clicking right now. Definitely going to be a challenging week.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
OK.....This is a clear copyright violation and I want royalties.....

Posted this at 7:08 AM before the article went out......Pasting:

Thats great.....But when Wojo "reigned" Markus in with that "conversation" on the sidelines.....It looked like Markus wanted to cry.....

That being said.....

Give credit to WOJO for "reigning" Markus in.....

Also give credit to Markus for being "coached" and deferring to rest of the team.....

Also....Also.....Give credit to "THE TEAM" for stepping up.....

That is what the Hauser's wanted last year and it did not happen in the last 6 games......This was a significant event yesterday......

GO TEAM!

Just kidding.....But everybody that saw the sequence of events knew what was going on......Especially by the look on Markus's face.....

Incoherent

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 12:58:08 PM »
This notion it was the first time Wojo ever said this to Markus is one of the all time great farts here.  Markus admitted as such in years past.  Yesterday he let it get away from himself, Wojo pulled him back in. 

Just because a camera isn’t on Wojo every second of the game or every practice, text, phone call, team meeting doesn’t mean yesterday was the first time.  Let’s use some commons sense.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
This notion it was the first time Wojo ever said this to Markus is one of the all time great farts here.  Markus admitted as such in years past.  Yesterday he let it get away from himself, Wojo pulled him back in. 

Just because a camera isn’t on Wojo every second of the game or every practice, text, phone call, team meeting doesn’t mean yesterday was the first time.  Let’s use some commons sense.

Great point, wish the author would have written it in the article you are commenting on. That would have been helpful.

"Don’t get me wrong, coaches talk to players all game long and we the public miss 99.9% of what is said, so this could be par for the course. But in my recollection, I’ve never seen the message be delivered quite as clearly as Wojo did to Markus there. Or quite as publicly."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 01:26:21 PM »
Great point, wish the author would have written it in the article you are commenting on. That would have been helpful.

"Don’t get me wrong, coaches talk to players all game long and we the public miss 99.9% of what is said, so this could be par for the course. But in my recollection, I’ve never seen the message be delivered quite as clearly as Wojo did to Markus there. Or quite as publicly."

I wasn’t talking about you, but the comments yesterday here, on Twitter and elsewhere.  Some of our fanbase needs some education to put it mildly.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 01:43:52 PM »
Did he say "do it all alone" or "go it alone"? Not like it matters but I'm trying to read lips.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »
Did he say "do it all alone" or "go it alone"? Not like it matters but I'm trying to read lips.

I thought it was "do it all alone" and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 01:55:46 PM »

I hadn't seen the Wojo/Markus chat video until just now, and it was enlightening.

By the expression on his face - or lack of one, really - Markus didn't seem overjoyed. Then again, he could have just been tired. And he did nod his head at the end.

A lot of Scoopers are taking a pretty big leap in assuming that this is the first time Wojo has had this kind of interaction with Markus. I, for one, have no idea if this is the first, third, 10th or 50th time they've discussed this.

It's easy to say, "It's about time! Why didn't he do this last year or earlier this year?" Especially if we don't know what Wojo has said to Markus and when over these last couple of years.

It took Phil Jackson years to get Michael to buy in, and Michael STILL almost always took it all on himself. Same with Phil and Kobe. I obviously am not saying Markus = Michael ... but he kinda IS our Michael; and we really don't have a Scottie on our roster.

It's all interesting, Andrei, and I thank you for doing this blog post. Like other Scoopers, I applaud Wojo for working to get Markus to buy into the team thing more. Hopefully Markus takes it as the constructive criticism that it is.

Horrible post. 
Markus was pressing against Butler and took some very bad shots.  For the most part Markus has not taken bad shots and even questionable shots are good shots for Markus.  Im sure Wojo has spoken many times with Markus, and everyother player  about taking good shots.  To say that Markus has possibly not bought in is one of ur more dumb posts and u have quite a tall hill of those.  Try not to be such a dumb 🐴
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 02:02:41 PM »
Horrible post. 
Markus was pressing against Butler and took some very bad shots.  For the most part Markus has not taken bad shots and even questionable shots are good shots for Markus.  Im sure Wojo has spoken many times with Markus, and everyother player  about taking good shots.  To say that Markus has possibly not bought in is one of ur more dumb posts and u have quite a tall hill of those.  Try not to be such a dumb 🐴

OK, Mr. Sacar And Luke Are The Two Worst Players Ever.

Grow up.

burger

• All American

Just because a camera isn%u2019t on Wojo every second of the game or every practice, text, phone call, team meeting doesn%u2019t mean yesterday was the first time.  Let%u2019s use some commons sense.

Apparently the Hauser's thought so......
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 03:19:34 PM by burger »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »
A great article Andrei.  Of course we don't know how many times Wojo has done it over these last 4 years.  The point is we saw him do it Sunday. 

Interesting to me that on the same weekend we see Bobby Knight return to Indiana, we see our coach do an outstanding job with his still 20 y/o All-American.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »

Even if what you say is true, even if Wojo has had previous discussions with Markus why does it matter?

Markus has the ultimate green light, as sports reporters on numerous networks have stated.  It ultimately falls on Wojo to reel in Markus and discipline if necessary.   So even if your point is true, it’s still on the guy making 2.5 mil a year to coach/teach/discipline if said player is not doing as he’s told.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 03:03:00 PM »
Even if what you say is true, even if Wojo has had previous discussions with Markus why does it matter?

Markus has the ultimate green light, as sports reporters on numerous networks have stated.  It ultimately falls on Wojo to reel in Markus and discipline if necessary.   So even if your point is true, it’s still on the guy making 2.5 mil a year to coach/teach/discipline if said player is not doing as he’s told.

And it appears he is doing so.

We have won 6 of 7, we're playing well, we're in the top 20, and our coach has been caught on video reeling in our best player as many Scoopers wish. You should be happy.

Do you even have the ability to be happy about Marquette hoops?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2020, 03:27:07 PM »
Didn’t see the game, great article.

Can I just say as far as the video goes, Howard’s face looks really painful. By that I mean from his injury, not his expression.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
I know there's the narrative that Markus has been bad in the clutch, but it's false.

Granted, he was awful at Butler, 2 points on 8 possessions, but the rest of the year he's posted a scintillating 37 points on 25 possessions in the last 5:00 of games when the score was within 5 and overtimes. That's 1.48 ppp overall and 1.18 including the Butler OT loss.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 04:12:17 PM »
I know there's the narrative that Markus has been bad in the clutch, but it's false.

Granted, he was awful at Butler, 2 points on 8 possessions, but the rest of the year he's posted a scintillating 37 points on 25 possessions in the last 5:00 of games when the score was within 5 and overtimes. That's 1.48 ppp overall and 1.18 including the Butler OT loss.

How does that compare to others, brewski?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
How does that compare to others, brewski?

Working on that. Virtually identical to Myles Powell, who's regarded as super-clutch.

feedback