[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 94208 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #400 on: July 27, 2022, 11:26:37 AM »
Yea, I actually agree, Will is the best of the bunch.  Finn Wolfhard is so flat.

I actually liked Season 4 a lot in many ways.  Some of the plot was horrible.  The stereotypical jock was awful.

Enzo bothered me cause his Russian accent was horrible.  Nobody is buying that Jaqen H'ghar is actually Russian.

I do find it amusing, for a show based in middle of nowhere Indiana, the Duffer Brothers fill the cast with so many foreigners playing Americans.  And relatively unknown foreigners at that.  Millie Bobby Brown, Quinn as Eddie, Dacre Montgomery as Billy, Robin's love interest Vicky is Irish, etc...

Also, speaking of Robin, I think Maya Hawke is probably the best actress of the main cast.  She's got serious chops.  Fun fact, before the string of Disney live action remakes, Universal was making a live action version of The Little Mermaid.  Sofia Coppola was directing and really wanted Maya Hawke as the lead.  The studio overruled her, Coppola left the project, and the movie imploded.

Yeah Hawke seems like shes a really good actress as well, the Robin role doesnt give her a lot of range. I cannot  put her on the level of Quinn and Montgomery tho. Those two destroyed their roles.

I read that originally Steve was supposed to basically be the Billy role. But they changed that and then created the real Billy in S2. Hell of a move because it would not have worked the other way at all. And Steve is awesome as is.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #401 on: July 27, 2022, 12:25:05 PM »
Finished S6 of Peaky Blinders.

I wish the show would go on, but I understand why shows need to end.  Looking forward to the finale movie in the works.  Hopefully it ties everything together.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #402 on: July 27, 2022, 12:48:21 PM »
Finished S6 of Peaky Blinders.

I wish the show would go on, but I understand why shows need to end.  Looking forward to the finale movie in the works.  Hopefully it ties everything together.

Beginning of the season was INCREDIBLE.  Middle was a bit eh, final 2 episodes were tremendous.  High hopes for the movie to put a bow on it all.  That final episode was amazing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #403 on: July 27, 2022, 01:04:57 PM »
My wife grew up 90 miles from Indianapolis and was class of 1987.   She said she knew 3 guys exactly like the jock and that they nailed it.

Ad a kid who got bullied badly in high school from time to time, the first couple of episodes had scenes that made me get up and. leave the room, dredging up bad memories.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #404 on: July 27, 2022, 03:13:03 PM »
Beginning of the season was INCREDIBLE.  Middle was a bit eh, final 2 episodes were tremendous.  High hopes for the movie to put a bow on it all.  That final episode was amazing.

As a crime drama, how does Peaky stack up against a show like The Sopranos?

My wife has watched PB and raves about it. For some reason, I never watched it - probably because I hate turning on subtitles which is necessary with the Irish accents. But she wants to watch it from the start again, so I am gonna start with her.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #405 on: July 27, 2022, 03:21:13 PM »

My wife has watched PB and raves about it. For some reason, I never watched it - probably because I hate turning on subtitles which is necessary with the Irish accents. But she wants to watch it from the start again, so I am gonna start with her.

Its a quality show and with it only being 6 episode season a pretty quick watch.

It is not even remotely in the same ballpark as the the peak HBO shows though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #406 on: July 27, 2022, 03:32:53 PM »
I'm in the middle of it and couldn't disagree more. Season 1 was brilliant, but I felt it was deteriorating in 2 and 3. Through 4 episodes and change, this is the best the series has been since the beginning. I'll have to see how it ends, but I've been enjoying it a ton.

We'll agree to disagree. That's why there are a bazillion series, and a bazillion seasons of those series - something for everyone.

Curious what people thought of the new Better Call Saul?  Given what we had seen of Gene up to this time, felt like this was a swerve but makes sense that Slippin’ Jimmy is always there

I liked it in and of itself - especially liked Carol Burnett and the very well-cast Jim O'Heir -- though it really didn't "do" much for me as a BCS fan. Looking forward to them getting back to the plot for the final 3 episodes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #407 on: July 27, 2022, 03:45:43 PM »
I never see any discussion on this board regarding the NHL, which I believe is the best in person sport to attend, especially during the Stanley Cup playoffs.  That being said, ESPN is showing a documentary detailing the hatred between the Detroit Redwings and the Colorado Avalanche in the 1990's.  It is entitled "Unrivaled".

The trailer is outstanding and ESPN will show it on Sunday, 6/26/22, 1:00pm ET.  set your DVR NHL fans.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2022/06/unrivaled-espn-e60-relives-examines-fierce-avalanche-red-wings-rivalry-born-25-years-ago/

I watch, follow, attend, NHL hockey and some other levels of hockey too. Haven’t seen this documentary yet but at some point I’m sure I will.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #408 on: July 27, 2022, 04:16:59 PM »

Apples to oranges in my opinion.  Given the season length and the network, its always had a different aim than Sopranos.  I don't agree with it being in a different ballpark cause Peaky's peak, no pun intended, was incredibly high and its stocked with MEGA talent from Cillian Murphy, to Tom Hardy, to Helen McCrory, to Aiden Gillen, to Adrian Brody, and on and on.  It felt more like assorted mini series than a TV show like HBO canon.

Also, they are Brummie and assorted British accents, the show doesnt take place in Ireland  8-)  If you can watch a British or BBC show, you're fine. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #409 on: July 27, 2022, 04:41:11 PM »

Uh, its a great show.  Very distinct aesthetic.  Different from Sopranos.

They're English, not Irish.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #410 on: July 27, 2022, 05:37:43 PM »
Stranger Things shoulda hired Henry Winkler for the cast because it's jumped the shark.

Most of Season 4 was pretty bad. The writing and acting was terrible. I agree about Eddie and Max; the rest of the kids were borderline unwatchable, and the adults were no great shakes either. I'll probably watch Season 5 because I've dedicated this much time to it and want to see how it ends, but I hope it's not as painful as most of this season was.

Hard to believe that just a few years ago I was telling everybody they HAD to watch Stranger Things, that it was the best new show on TV. Oh well ... they're still making money on it, so I don't blame them for letting it drone on.

So interesting, MU82.

We have almost completely different views on ST and The Boys.

Glad we have options to choose from!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #411 on: July 27, 2022, 09:15:06 PM »
So interesting, MU82.

You dislike The Boys? If so, you seriously are the first person I know of who says that. Which is ok, just a little surprising.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #412 on: July 27, 2022, 10:40:56 PM »
So interesting, MU82.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #413 on: July 27, 2022, 11:57:32 PM »
You dislike The Boys? If so, you seriously are the first person I know of who says that. Which is ok, just a little surprising.

I guess I'm the 2nd.

I tried twice. Couldn't keep going.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2022, 09:26:00 AM »

As I said earlier, I like it. But it's becoming obvious they're protecting characters because of their popularity and not what would make sense with the plot/narrative.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2022, 01:07:56 PM »
As I said earlier, I like it. But it's becoming obvious they're protecting characters because of their popularity and not what would make sense with the plot/narrative.

Oh, OK. A couple examples?

I guess I'm the 2nd.

I tried twice. Couldn't keep going.

Nope, you're the first, as jesmu clarified. Your loss.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2022, 01:46:15 PM »

I tried, Mike.

The 2nd time I actually got to the 2nd season - but I just couldn't keep going. I'm not putting it in the John From Cincinnati category, but it just didn't hold my interest.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #417 on: July 28, 2022, 04:57:02 PM »
Oh, OK. A couple examples?

Homelander

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #418 on: July 30, 2022, 05:23:35 AM »
Homelander

It's kind of wild that in a show where non-powered people like Hughie, MM, and Butcher have dedicated their lives to taking down near-invincible superheroes, you find it implausible that the most powerful superhero is the one evading death.

Every episode that ends with The Boys going up against supes and surviving would seem to stretch reality more than Homelander living.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #419 on: July 30, 2022, 01:06:37 PM »
Has anyone watched The Rehearsal on HBO?  It’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in years.  Charlie Kaufman-esque premise with a bunch of absurdly dumb humor baked in.  Nathan Fielder is the best.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #420 on: July 30, 2022, 03:47:37 PM »
Has anyone watched The Rehearsal on HBO?  It’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in years.  Charlie Kaufman-esque premise with a bunch of absurdly dumb humor baked in.  Nathan Fielder is the best.

One episode. Won’t watch any more.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #421 on: August 02, 2022, 06:36:51 PM »
“Tehran” on Apple+ (2 seasons so far)

panda

• All American
« Reply #422 on: August 02, 2022, 09:58:19 PM »

Nathan for You is just incredible TV. Easy watch and laugh out loud funny.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #423 on: August 02, 2022, 10:48:50 PM »
“Tehran” on Apple+ (2 seasons so far)

Worth a watch

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #424 on: August 02, 2022, 10:51:17 PM »
Nathan for You is just incredible TV. Easy watch and laugh out loud funny.

+1. Very funny.