[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 94092 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #375 on: July 17, 2022, 05:40:41 PM »
Has anybody started season two of Only Murders in the Building? That’s high on my to do list when I get back from Canada.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #376 on: July 17, 2022, 07:24:56 PM »
Has anybody started season two of Only Murders in the Building? That’s high on my to do list when I get back from Canada.

I’ve enjoyed it so far. Not a huge fan of the newer characters, but enjoying the story. I really enjoy the humor of the trio and the story has been good in my opinion.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #377 on: July 18, 2022, 01:48:00 PM »

Love it. Episode four of the second season was the best one yet. It's been picked up for a third season too. There has been a spate of shows that did better than anticipated in their initial planned run that got extended that really fell out in the additional season (Flight Attendant's second season was bad, the final season of Who Killed Sara was dreadful). Only Murders has bucked that trend.

Just finished the first season of Barry last night. Man, did it get dark at the end.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #378 on: July 18, 2022, 11:09:35 PM »
BCS...

The ending we all saw coming but brutal none the less.

Was not expecting the jump, but very well done and has me pumped for the final 4
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #379 on: July 19, 2022, 10:36:40 PM »
BCS...

The ending we all saw coming but brutal none the less.

Was not expecting the jump, but very well done and has me pumped for the final 4

That scene with Jimmy and Kim was so well done. You could feel the pain.

Like you, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they wrap this up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #381 on: July 21, 2022, 07:10:49 PM »
Just watched Chernobyl: The Lost Tapes. If you watched the HBO miniseries check this out. You get to see actual footage from life in Pripyat before the explosion, the events surrounding the disaster and the actual people portrayed in the HBO series. Absolutely fascinating
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 10:57:45 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #382 on: July 21, 2022, 10:59:23 PM »
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/07/jamie-allen-love-island-uk-halifax-town-jamie-tartt-ted-lasso

Ted Lasso continues to inspire.

The only British centric show I love more than Ted Lasso may be Love Island.

But to be fair, Halifax Town is in the National League.  That's basically semi-pro. You're making $1000 a week if you're fortunate.

Alternativly, a dude left Castleford Tigers, which is a Super League, premier level rugby club, making 6 figures, to be on Love Island this year

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #383 on: July 22, 2022, 12:33:47 AM »
The only British centric show I love more than Ted Lasso may be Love Island.

Don’t know if you are serious or not, but my wife and I have been watching for a while now - season 6 I think.

Actually the only reason we watch is because my granddaughter is a huge fan. Once a week she’ll come over for a 3 episode marathon. We Americans think we are the only ones who have to deal with vain shallow people, but this shows that is not the case.

What makes it interesting is that my granddaughter is more knowledgeable and more tuned in to the social media generation than anyone I know. Lots of fun conversations.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #384 on: July 22, 2022, 11:51:35 AM »
Don’t know if you are serious or not, but my wife and I have been watching for a while now - season 6 I think.

Actually the only reason we watch is because my granddaughter is a huge fan. Once a week she’ll come over for a 3 episode marathon. We Americans think we are the only ones who have to deal with vain shallow people, but this shows that is not the case.

What makes it interesting is that my granddaughter is more knowledgeable and more tuned in to the social media generation than anyone I know. Lots of fun conversations.

Thats unexpected and hilarious.  And no, I actually love it.  My wife and I started season 1 during the pandemic and were HOOKED.  For me, the differentiator, is the lack of camera crews and producer influence.  The mounted cams make it a lot more organic.  Its incredible and so bingeable.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #385 on: July 22, 2022, 12:24:55 PM »
We Americans think we are the only ones who have to deal with vain shallow people, but this shows that is not the case.

I'm intrigued by this comment because I've never thought that. Do Americans really think that we've got a monopoly on vain shallow people? I'd have always thought that those were fairly universal traits.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #386 on: July 22, 2022, 01:47:17 PM »
I'm intrigued by this comment because I've never thought that. Do Americans really think that we've got a monopoly on vain shallow people? I'd have always thought that those were fairly universal traits.

Oh, they definitely are universal.

My wife and I have seen quite a number of BBC produced shows on PBS. The Brit shows offer actors with a wide range of personalities and who range from butt ugly to beautiful/handsome and everything in between. They cover a very wide age range and also all social levels. In other words, they are much truer to real life rather vs the young and beautiful obsession of many American shows featuring narrowly cast characters. Lastly, the characters are usually not talking incessantly and loudly. The shows are crafted rather than just thrown together.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #387 on: July 22, 2022, 04:10:06 PM »

Consider your source here.   :P

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #388 on: July 22, 2022, 11:46:49 PM »

Tongue-in-cheek.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #389 on: July 26, 2022, 09:40:44 PM »
Did anyone really enjoy or were enthralled by Power of the Dog?  Obviously Cumberbatch was excellent, but I had decent expectations from stuff that I read and I was thoroughly underwhelmed/bored.  It was just exceedingly blah.

Meanwhile, while doing Netflix movies, I also watched Gray Man which has been thoroughly panned.  It was a gratuitous explosion Michael Bay-esque spectacle, cheesy and formulaic, but it was entertaining and Ryan Gosling does dry comedy hero so damn well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #390 on: July 26, 2022, 10:43:28 PM »
Finally got around to Stranger Things 4. It was a tad predictable but a fun ride. The most metal concert ever was a fun touch. Eddie was an excellent addition to the cast. I've heard a few theories about what his role might be next season and I hope they are true.

Oh and while I loved the Eddie addition, Argyle was an equally bad addition. I wouldn't cry if he became demodog chow in the last season.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:00:37 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #391 on: July 26, 2022, 10:47:58 PM »
Did anyone really enjoy or were enthralled by Power of the Dog?  Obviously Cumberbatch was excellent, but I had decent expectations from stuff that I read and I was thoroughly underwhelmed/bored.  It was just exceedingly blah.

I agree. It was a typical Campion movie. Pacing was very similar to The Piano.

Part of the reason, I think, is that so much time passes in the movie and she does a terrible job of showing that.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #392 on: July 27, 2022, 12:00:25 AM »
Finally got around to Stranger Things 4. It was a tad predictable but a fun ride. The most metal concert ever was a fun touch. Eddie was an excellent addition to the cast. I've heard a few theories about what his role might be next season and I hope they are true.

Oh and while I loved the Eddie addition, Argyle was an equally bad addition. I wouldn't cry if he became demodog chow in the last season.

Argyle is brutal. That whole plot was brutal. ST thrives in Hawkins. Good that S5 should be all Hawkins.

Very predicatble show though. They were so clearly building to a Eddie or Steve death and since the show does not have the balls to kill the mains, Steve was safe(not complaining here).

Dont think they expected how popular Eddie would be though. Shoulda wacked any of the like 5 useless mains and kept Eddie around. Best actor the bunch too. Funny cause the other best is Max and they nearly killed her too. Cant wait how they explain her surviving being clearly brain dead and having every limb snapped in positions limbs cant go.

I liked season as a whole. But the last two eps were cheesy as hell. Some brutal dialogue and reactions(Hoppers goofy smiles, the slow motion hop outof the van and driveway run).

But the worst part was how unecessary the Eddie death was, sure they built to the "Not running anymore" but two major problems

1. He ran from a girl being levitated and having all her limbs broken and eyes gouged before being stapled to a ceiling. Then ran when the town came after him for doing it and another guy got the same treatment. Yeah, not cowardly.

2. He had absolutely zero reason to not follow Dustin out of the hole. Mission was accomplished. They didnt need more time. Actually, him staying coulda only hurt things cause they were told to "stick to the plan".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #393 on: July 27, 2022, 07:44:59 AM »
Stranger Things shoulda hired Henry Winkler for the cast because it's jumped the shark.

Most of Season 4 was pretty bad. The writing and acting was terrible. I agree about Eddie and Max; the rest of the kids were borderline unwatchable, and the adults were no great shakes either. I'll probably watch Season 5 because I've dedicated this much time to it and want to see how it ends, but I hope it's not as painful as most of this season was.

Hard to believe that just a few years ago I was telling everybody they HAD to watch Stranger Things, that it was the best new show on TV. Oh well ... they're still making money on it, so I don't blame them for letting it drone on.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #394 on: July 27, 2022, 07:59:02 AM »
Stranger Things shoulda hired Henry Winkler for the cast because it's jumped the shark.

Most of Season 4 was pretty bad. The writing and acting was terrible. I agree about Eddie and Max; the rest of the kids were borderline unwatchable, and the adults were no great shakes either. I'll probably watch Season 5 because I've dedicated this much time to it and want to see how it ends, but I hope it's not as painful as most of this season was.

Hard to believe that just a few years ago I was telling everybody they HAD to watch Stranger Things, that it was the best new show on TV. Oh well ... they're still making money on it, so I don't blame them for letting it drone on.

I'm in the middle of it and couldn't disagree more. Season 1 was brilliant, but I felt it was deteriorating in 2 and 3. Through 4 episodes and change, this is the best the series has been since the beginning. I'll have to see how it ends, but I've been enjoying it a ton.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #395 on: July 27, 2022, 08:26:12 AM »
Dont think they expected how popular Eddie would be though. Shoulda wacked any of the like 5 useless mains and kept Eddie around. Best actor the bunch too. Funny cause the other best is Max and they nearly killed her too.

As I watched S4 it occurred to me how fortunate the people that made the first Harry Potter movies were that the child actors they cast turned out to be pretty good as they got older. As Stranger Things has demonstrated, that's not always the case. At all.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #396 on: July 27, 2022, 09:01:20 AM »
Curious what people thought of the new Better Call Saul?  Given what we had seen of Gene up to this time, felt like this was a swerve but makes sense that Slippin’ Jimmy is always there
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #397 on: July 27, 2022, 09:04:04 AM »
As I watched S4 it occurred to me how fortunate the people that made the first Harry Potter movies were that the child actors they cast turned out to be pretty good as they got older. As Stranger Things has demonstrated, that's not always the case. At all.

Thats the difficulty with casting kids in things forsure. Sometimes they are just really good as a kid.

No coincidence that the really good actors are the ones they are bringing in after the start. Max(she was still young but a little older and established) and then Eddie and Billy are both fantastic and they were full blown adults at the time.

THe kid who plays Mike kinda blew up right when the show first aired and gets movie roles. But he does absolutely nothing for me. Eleven is overrated as crap, basically just does the same monotone talking and telekenetic stare. People keep praising Lucas acting this season, I dont fully blame the actor cause he got a lot of cringe.....but he was brutal imo. Kid who plays WIll is actually pretty good when you watch S2, but boy do they do him dirty. Absolutely nothing to do.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #398 on: July 27, 2022, 09:04:12 AM »
I'm in the middle of it and couldn't disagree more. Season 1 was brilliant, but I felt it was deteriorating in 2 and 3. Through 4 episodes and change, this is the best the series has been since the beginning. I'll have to see how it ends, but I've been enjoying it a ton.

My feelings exactly. I thought season 4 brought the show back from the disaster that was S3- until the middle of the season. Then, as 82 said, Winkler should have been brought in.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #399 on: July 27, 2022, 09:44:53 AM »
Thats the difficulty with casting kids in things forsure. Sometimes they are just really good as a kid.

No coincidence that the really good actors are the ones they are bringing in after the start. Max(she was still young but a little older and established) and then Eddie and Billy are both fantastic and they were full blown adults at the time.

THe kid who plays Mike kinda blew up right when the show first aired and gets movie roles. But he does absolutely nothing for me. Eleven is overrated as crap, basically just does the same monotone talking and telekenetic stare. People keep praising Lucas acting this season, I dont fully blame the actor cause he got a lot of cringe.....but he was brutal imo. Kid who plays WIll is actually pretty good when you watch S2, but boy do they do him dirty. Absolutely nothing to do.

Yea, I actually agree, Will is the best of the bunch.  Finn Wolfhard is so flat.

I actually liked Season 4 a lot in many ways.  Some of the plot was horrible.  The stereotypical jock was awful.

Enzo bothered me cause his Russian accent was horrible.  Nobody is buying that Jaqen H'ghar is actually Russian.

I do find it amusing, for a show based in middle of nowhere Indiana, the Duffer Brothers fill the cast with so many foreigners playing Americans.  And relatively unknown foreigners at that.  Millie Bobby Brown, Quinn as Eddie, Dacre Montgomery as Billy, Robin's love interest Vicky is Irish, etc...

Also, speaking of Robin, I think Maya Hawke is probably the best actress of the main cast.  She's got serious chops.  Fun fact, before the string of Disney live action remakes, Universal was making a live action version of The Little Mermaid.  Sofia Coppola was directing and really wanted Maya Hawke as the lead.  The studio overruled her, Coppola left the project, and the movie imploded.