'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BEast Regular Season Title  (Read 3634 times)

willie warrior

• All American
BEast Regular Season Title
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:24:13 AM »
Much as I hate to admit it, it looks like Loserville has the inside track to win the regular season title.

They have 3 games left with 2 of those at home. Here is how it looks to me:
Loserville; End up 15-3 with wins against MU, SH and a loss at WVA

Pitt: End up 15-3 with 3 wins against @SH, MU and Conn.

UCONN: End up 14-4 with losses @MU, @Pitt, and a win against ND

Warriors: End up 14-4 with wins against UCONN and Syracuse and losses at Loserville and Pitt

As everybody knows all of our remaining games are huge.

If Loserville and Pitt tie at 15-3, Loserville has the first tie breaker as they beat Pitt.

The above is not what I want--I would wish for MU to go 3-1. It is kind of interesting that SH could play a spoiler in the remaining games, playing both Pitt and Loserville.

Even more interesting is that MU has the biggest spoiler role of all, as we play all 3 of UCONN, Loserville and Pitt.

My contention would be that if the Warriors beat UCONN, Loserville and Pitt, we should be #1 in the country.

What do others think?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BrandonA

• Walk-On
Re: BEast Regular Season Title
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:30:19 AM »
As much as I don't want to think it, and as lame as it sounds, although we would raise in the polls, I don't think our NCAA seed could ever be a one.  Even if we wont out.  To many people have the preception that this team is to small to be a "real" basketball threat.  I've already had this argument with one person at work today.

I feel like whatever we do do will solidify us as a top 10 team, but in the eyes of the pollsters, we wont move.  But who do they know, I already heard them yesterday say they expect either UConn or Memphis is number one!

Warrior97

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »
If we win out the regular season I think we would move up significantly in the polls simply because we would be beating the people in front of us.  However, I think we would still have a ceiling.  Too many people have been deceived by Memphis gaudy winning streak in a bad conference and if OK gets Blake back and starts winning then the two losses will be completely forgotten.  I think the view on Memphis is ridiculous but I can't argue the view on OK.  A concussion is not something that would have lingering impacts like a foot or knee injury.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:41:59 AM »
If we won out, including the Big East Tournament, we would definitely be a 1 seed.  There are not 4 teams that could possibly be put ahead of us.  That's an impossibly tall order, of course.  I'm not too worried about seeding just yet.  We're safely in the tournament, which is number 1.  We are safely in the top half of the Big East, which is number 2.  Number 3 goal is to get the second round Big East tournament bye by being in the top four.  Number 4 is to win the Big East Regular Season.  Number 5 is the Big East Tournament.  After all that, then I worry about seeding for the NCAAs.  Do enough of the other things and the seeding will take care of itself.

Finally, I think there is a clear top 4 teams, followed by a mosh pit of about 15 teams this year.  I do not think seeding is that important this year as long as you are better than a 4.  I want to be a three seed or better, because then we won't be a big underdog (more than 4-5 points) until a regional final.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:43:06 AM »
As much as I don't want to think it, and as lame as it sounds, although we would raise in the polls, I don't think our NCAA seed could ever be a one.  Even if we wont out.  To many people have the preception that this team is to small to be a "real" basketball threat.  I've already had this argument with one person at work today.

I feel like whatever we do do will solidify us as a top 10 team, but in the eyes of the pollsters, we wont move.  But who do they know, I already heard them yesterday say they expect either UConn or Memphis is number one!

Think about what you just said there for a second.

If we win all of the remaining games in our regular season schedule and win conference tournament, we would be a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.  I guarantee it.

If we win the remaining regular season games and finish with a 16-2 conference record, we win the regular season Big East conference title.  If we win the conference tournament on top of that, there is no possible way anyone on the committee could seriously argue that this team wouldn't deserve a #1 seed.

You don't win a league like this and not get rewarded for it.  Even with the SFU loss, we'd still be a #1 seed.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:45:21 AM »
What do others think?

I think the term "Loserville" is lame and sophomoric.

HTH.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
if we win out, we will absolutely, positively be a number 1 seed in the ncaa tournament.  we would be outright big east champions, with a record of 27-4/16-2 and wins over 4 top 10 teams.  i also guarantee that if we win out we will be the #1 team in the country going into the Big East tournament.  i just don't see us winning out...

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »
if we win out, we will absolutely, positively be a number 1 seed in the ncaa tournament.  we would be outright big east champions, with a record of 27-4/16-2 and wins over 4 top 10 teams.  i also guarantee that if we win out we will be the #1 team in the country going into the Big East tournament.  i just don't see us winning out...

At this point, NOTHING either way would shock me.  Remember how many of us said we would have been happy with 9-9 or 10-8 in BE play during preseason?  Even until we got to 8-0 in conference, I refused to believe this team could be real.   

Now we're playing with house money here on out  ;D
The General has taken on a new command.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »

HTH.
Agreed.

Also, as much as I love beating UL (and I do), it would be cool to see one of our ex-Conference USA brethren take the Big East crown. Many of the old guard still don't think we belong, and one of the newbies winning the conference championship would go a long way toward legitimizing the five of us (although USF and DPU aren't exactly helping that cause).

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »
I have said this before and I'll say it again.  If we win out, there would be no reason why Marquette could not win the National Championship.  Winning out will be nearly impossible.  Pitt @ Pitt will be the hardest game of the season regardless of who we play in the postseason.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

BrandonA

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:44:07 AM »
Think about what you just said there for a second.

If we win all of the remaining games in our regular season schedule and win conference tournament, we would be a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.  I guarantee it.

If we win the remaining regular season games and finish with a 16-2 conference record, we win the regular season Big East conference title.  If we win the conference tournament on top of that, there is no possible way anyone on the committee could seriously argue that this team wouldn't deserve a #1 seed.

You don't win a league like this and not get rewarded for it.  Even with the SFU loss, we'd still be a #1 seed.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you that we should be a #1 seed if that situation happened.  I suppose you can say I am playing the "Poor ole MU doesn't get any respect" card.  I just feel no matter what this team does they wont get that much respect (i.e. a number one seed).

This is definatly the opinion I get from majority of my work peers.  Even the ones that did go to MU.  No one belieives their wins are genuine and worthy.  Maybe I'm being hypersensitive.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »
There is no way they will be overlooked if they win the Big East regular season title and the conference tournament.  We don't play in Conference USA anymore. 

This is it.  The Big East.  Big time nasty college basketball for grown-ass men.

You don't win this conference and then play everyone out of Madison Square Garden and wind up as a #2 seed.  Won't happen.

We're not in the kiddie pool anymore.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
if we win the conference out-right, as in 16-2, as in no ties for first place, in the "best conference ever assembled," that in itself would lock up a No. 1 seed.  even if we don't win the BE tourney.

Warrior97

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 11:03:05 AM »
This is definatly the opinion I get from majority of my work peers.  Even the ones that did go to MU.  No one belieives their wins are genuine and worthy.  Maybe I'm being hypersensitive.

I don't think any of the people you are talking to would be saying the same thing after beating 3 top ten teams in the next three games (with two on the road).  I don't think your friends are giving MU enough credit, but I have no doubt that they would quickly change their tune if we won our next three games.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 11:16:09 AM »
This is it.  The Big East.  Big time nasty college basketball for grown-ass men.
We're not in the kiddie pool anymore.

Damn straight. As one former Commander in Chief would say, "Bring it on!"

What an exciting day, both for the game itself and the possibilities that a win would bring.

GO WARRIORS!!

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 01:53:12 PM »

Even more interesting is that MU has the biggest spoiler role of all, as we play all 3 of UCONN, Loserville and Pitt.

Can you be a spolier and a conference champ at the same time?
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »
Does anyone know if Villanova was a #1 seed the year they had their 4 guards?

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 02:00:31 PM »

HTH.

I'm ok with calling them "loserville" b/c 1) Reece Gains 2) Francisco Garcia and 3) Jerry Smith. 

Also, because of our battles with Pitt makes it ok to call them PiTTT as well.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »
If we beat all three of Pitt, Lville, and Uconn... u had better believe we are number 1 in the country!!!  I'd shoot myself if we weren't at that point!! lol  I agree though, seems like Lville has an inside track, but we still do control our own destiny, even though it's tough, we do.

WE ARE MARQUETTE!!!

romey

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »
Andy Katz on the ESPN on line game preview said if MU loses, we lose our chance to be a number one seed.  Interestingly enough though, he didn't mention what a UConn loss would do to their chances.