[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz Williams this year  (Read 11470 times)

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
Buzz Williams this year
« on: February 23, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
I was talking to some friends that say Buzz doesnt deserve that much credit because he inherited a great situation but I believe that he deserves a ton of credit. he has been a great coach this year and it doesnt matter that he inherited a great situation. what do you guys think
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

sv48

• Starter
Re: Buzz Williams this year
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:36:08 PM »
He deserves a ton of credit, not only he is coaching excellently, he is bringing in a great recruiting class.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:40:42 PM »
I think he deserves a ton of credit for game planning.  Execution is the other half of the equation and the players get that credit.  

We have mentioned this in other posts, but Buzz gets a ton of credit for putting Wes in the proper role.

As far as player development, Buzz has done a good job with Butler and I think Burke has improved alot during the course of the season.  That low post move during Georgetown surprised me.

If we win BE, I think he will be a lock.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
This is a topic stolen from scout that I started today. Whatever. Buzz has a much better record than TC would've produced. IMO Buzz is head and shoulders above TC in almost every aspect of coaching. Buzz was not my top choice and he is putting me in my place!!!! He is DYNAMITE!!!!!!!!

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »
Agreed about Buzz . . . I think he's going to have a really, really good tenure at MU.  Somewhere between TC and Al.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »
He coaches four Seniors and a Junior, three 1500 point scorers and a 1000 point scorer....not saying he isn't or won't be a good coach but he doesn't deserve as much credit as he's getting.  He never calls timeouts, admits that he doesn't say much at halftime that the players haven't already said, and has an offense that allows the players to be independent.  The defense has been much worse this year and players that contributed before (acker, cubillan) have been invisible.

His best coaching is that he doesn't coach that much, which he definitely deserves credit for.....but I would give the vast majority of the credit to the players.  Jerel, Wes, and DJ have been unbelievably consistent.

That said, he's obviously an outstanding recruiter but IMO his coaching skills are yet to be determined.  Lets see what he does with his own players before we crown him.  

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
Ask Wes Matthews if Buzz deserves any credit.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 07:11:53 PM »
Yup, sorry, but chalk me up as someone who thinks Buzz inherited a BMW.  Guess what?  It's been a pretty good ride so far, just needed someone to turn the key.

That's not to say I don't like him.  He may have made the difference in a game or two, and the recruits are jumping on the boat.  

But these 3-4 future NBA players would have 21-23 wins right now if Fr. Kelly was HC.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 07:21:04 PM »
Yup, sorry, but chalk me up as someone who thinks Buzz inherited a BMW.  Guess what?  It's been a pretty good ride so far, just needed someone to turn the key.

That's not to say I don't like him.  He may have made the difference in a game or two, and the recruits are jumping on the boat.  

But these 3-4 future NBA players would have 21-23 wins right now if Fr. Kelly was HC.

Not sure you can give many coaches credit with that attitude.  Memphis, Kansas, UNC.  They have massive talent too.  Should the coaches get no credit?  Not saying that our 4 allstars have not made Buzz's job easier, but to say anyone could be possibly winning the BE at this stage when people picked up to finish in the middle of the pack is not being fair. 

Len just thought he should win COY for BE... Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:52 PM »
I didn't see one thing, outside of McNeal's play at the end of last year, that made me think TC could take this Crean to a higher level.  DJ had gotten worse yearly and Wes just wasn't aggressive on offense.  Being a senior is a major benefit, but these guys had more experience as juniors than most have as seniors.  Buzz is the major change.  I'm not sure our defense is better, so in return, I think it would be a fair argument to question whether Buzz has given up some ground in that area, but it's all a guess anyhow.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »

lets see where buzz is in two years when he has almost al his own players.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:35:36 PM »
Buzz has done a great job this year.   Period.    We don't know how he will do long term until he has actually had a long term.    If past is predictor of future, I am not worried. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:36:47 PM »

I hate that mindset. If this team were struggling, it would be the coach's fault. They are winning, so now they were supposed to and the coach has no impact on that. Can't have it both ways.

Notre Dame has a very, very talented roster, for one example. They are underachieving. There's something to be said about winning games.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »
I think you just have to withhold judgement until next year.  It is a very rare thing to have this core of guys who have played together for so long.  Buzz may be the perfect coach for this situation but how often does this situation actually occur.  More frequently you are trying to develop young talent or build team chemistry.  This team is a coaches dream where the best players are also the leaders and everyone knows their role.  The bench players knew at the start of the season they'd be the bench players.  Buzz is very hands off (doesn't call time outs during runs, doesn't practice free throws, doesn't say much a half time).  That isn't likely to be enough next year.  I'm not sure if its just an act but sometimes Buzz sounds like Forrest Gump.  Now next year if they win some games they shouldn't and the talent develops I'll have to say that the "act" works with the kids and it doesn't really matter how he sounds talking to us.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 07:47:51 PM »
Buzz inherited a Ferrari.....now he could have crashed that mofo, but has kept it on the highway and maybe even added some boosters to it.   

But we won't know until 2-3 years from now if he is a good coach/program builder or not.   Plenty of guys have started out strong to falter later....Paul Hewitt, Brad Soderburg, Rob Jeter. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:50:41 PM by Stone Cold »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »
This BMW had performed more like a Chevy Impala under the previous regime. We've had this discussion ad infinitum/ad nauseam. The less prideful Buzz doubters have watched the games and happily admit they were wrong. The more prideful ones set up straw men and deny the evidence right in front of their noses.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »
This BMW had performed more like a Chevy Impala under the previous regime. We've had this discussion ad infinitum/ad nauseam. The less prideful Buzz doubters have watched the games and happily admit they were wrong. The more prideful ones set up straw men and deny the evidence right in front of their noses.

Go talk to Georgia Tech fans.  Can he build and maintain a program? that's where there is no evidence yet.  I was one of the first, if not the first to support the Buzz hiring before anyone here knew his story, but the truth is we don't know where this program will be in 3 years no matter how good buzz does with inherited players. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:56:51 PM by Stone Cold »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »
I hate that mindset. If this team were struggling, it would be the coach's fault. They are winning, so now they were supposed to and the coach has no impact on that. Can't have it both ways.

Sorry, but that's not how I would view it, unless deserved.  If the team were struggling, I think we could take reasoned views as to why, by evaluating each cog, each player, how good they are this year, injuries, or, yes, offensive or defensive schemes.

I don't look at Coobie's struggles this year, and blame them on coaching.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »
I think you just have to withhold judgement until next year.  It is a very rare thing to have this core of guys who have played together for so long.  Buzz may be the perfect coach for this situation but how often does this situation actually occur.  More frequently you are trying to develop young talent or build team chemistry.  This team is a coaches dream where the best players are also the leaders and everyone knows their role.  The bench players knew at the start of the season they'd be the bench players.  Buzz is very hands off (doesn't call time outs during runs, doesn't practice free throws, doesn't say much a half time).  That isn't likely to be enough next year.  I'm not sure if its just an act but sometimes Buzz sounds like Forrest Gump.  Now next year if they win some games they shouldn't and the talent develops I'll have to say that the "act" works with the kids and it doesn't really matter how he sounds talking to us.

Subject: Buzz WIlliams this year.

He has done a good job this year.  Lets break it down.

We were projected to finish middle of the pack.  We are in the top.

We have a MASSIVE deficiency at the 5 and we have a 3 playing in the 4 spot.  Also, we are not deep.  Saying "all he needed to do is turn the key" is not right.  I don't think we had one preseason first team all american.  We don't have a player who just dominates like a Blake Griffin.  But we do have some good players.

Point is, give credit where credit is due.  I am not saying Buzz will take us to the promise land after this year (I think we have a shot) but having talent is not the end all be all.  Georgetown has a team filled with highly touted HS players and Monroe is a stud but they are playing awful.  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 08:02:24 PM »
Subject: Buzz WIlliams this year.

He has done a good job this year.  Lets break it down.

We were projected to finish middle of the pack.  We are in the top.

We have a MASSIVE deficiency at the 5 and we have a 3 playing in the 4 spot.  Also, we are not deep.  Saying "all he needed to do is turn the key" is not right.  I don't think we had one preseason first team all american.  We don't have a player who just dominates like a Blake Griffin.  But we do have some good players.

Point is, give credit where credit is due.  I am not saying Buzz will take us to the promise land after this year (I think we have a shot) but having talent is not the end all be all.  Georgetown has a team filled with highly touted HS players and Monroe is a stud but they are playing awful.  

Buzz inherited four 1,000 point scorers.   I'm leery to announce anyone the real deal after one year.   Especially the way our defense has regressed this year.   Our offense has overcome it this year(much kudos to Buzz) but lets see if it improves with longer guys or not.   

There's still alot to be determined so forgive me if I don't declare him John Wooden yet.  If you want to do so, knock yourself out.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 08:04:20 PM »
Buzz inherited a Ferrari.....now he could have crashed that mofo, but has kept it on the highway and maybe even added some boosters to it.   

But we won't know until 2-3 years from now if he is a good coach/program builder or not.   Plenty of guys have started out strong to falter later....Paul Hewitt, Brad Soderburg, Rob Jeter. 

Ferrari???

Pitt and UConn and UNC are Ferraris.  Obviously the whole country thought that since they were in the top 5.  Why are they top notch?  Deep, top talent, and they have all the pieces.  We do not have all the pieces.  And that is just pointing out the obvious.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »
they're lamborghinis, no matter which car you want to assign us, the fact of the matter is we don't know if Buzz can build and maintain a program.  We'll find out soon enough, as I said before if you want to claim he's the shiz go ahead.   He's proven he can improve an offense and get by on D, I'll give him that so far. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »

That's a bunch of crap.  Serious crap.

1. We were a Chevvy Impala last year?  Gosh, I had no idea all it took was a run-of-the-mill GM car to be ranked in the top 15 all year, plus be .5 seconds away from a Sweet 16 appearance.  I had no idea it was so easy.

2. Pride has nothing to do with coming up with a reasoned opinion on why a program is doing well, whether it had to do with past or present coaches, or present players, or just dumb luck.     90% of the reason we're a top 10 team right now is because McNeal, Lazar, DJ, and Wes are all having great seasons, respective to their personal abilities.   

It's a legit opinion to believe that the PLAYERS bouncing that ball are a very large chunk of why a team succeeds.   As I said, I can give Buzz credit for a couple games in the W column, but if Crean were here, or a dozen other coaches, there'd be variability and credit to dish out for the staff.

It's just totally bogus to dismiss anyone who says Buzz needs more time to be judged, based on some "pride" of whether they want to be right or wrong from their original opinion.   

Why?  I'll tell you this with 100% certainty:  Every single fan out there, every single one who had even the smallest inkling that Buzz wasn't right for the job back in April .. EVERY SINGLE ONE wants this team to win, wants the program to succeed, and wants that sooner rather than later, meaning whoever is at the helm is wished success, including Buzz.  If Buzz fails, that means we limp through 2-3-4-5 years of bad results, and NO ONE wants that.  -- Just because some of us aren't sold yet doesn't mean we're not overjoyed with the way things are going, and desperately want that trend to continue.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:23:05 PM by mu_hilltopper »

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 08:17:57 PM »
Buzz inherited four 1,000 point scorers.   I'm leery to announce anyone the real deal after one year.   Especially the way our defense has regressed this year.   Our offense has overcome it this year(much kudos to Buzz) but lets see if it improves with longer guys or not.   

There's still alot to be determined so forgive me if I don't declare him John Wooden yet.  If you want to do so, knock yourself out.

No one is declaring him a genius.  He just has done a good job this season.  That's all.  Is it that hard to give him that credit?

I read this board multiple times a day for the last few months and I don't remember many (just playing it safe because I want to say ANY) saying that we would be 12 and 2 competing for the BE championship at this stage.  And I am talking about preseason, not after the first few weeks where people posted "This season could be special".  PRESEASON.  I read a ton of "I would be happy to be 4 and 2 in the beginning of BE play" or "How are we going to beat ND?" or (after Dayton) "I hope we make the tourney".  Some statistical analysis had us most likely at 11 and 7 (I think).  

I am not a basketball expert and I think some of you know a ton more than me.  But some people are making it sound like he just lets his players running around for a couple of hours a day and crosses his fingers on gameday.  

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »
No one is declaring him a genius.  He just has done a good job this season.  That's all.  Is it that hard to give him that credit?

I read this board multiple times a day for the last few months and I don't remember many (just playing it safe because I want to say ANY) saying that we would be 12 and 2 competing for the BE championship at this stage.  And I am talking about preseason, not after the first few weeks where people posted "This season could be special".  PRESEASON. ..

Yes, Buzz deserves a chunk of credit.  Absolutely!  But actually, some are declaring him a genius, with the CoY talk. 

Oh, and while not 12-2, I had them at 11-3 at this point, one game short, but completely competing for the top 4 spots in a brutal BE .. (predictions done before the season.)  This was before I knew one whit about Buzz and the staff, before Otule and Fulce were hurt.  Just based on last year's players, their ability, and some projected growth in their games.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »

Really?  I didn't realize the 3rd best record in the Big East over three years was acting like a Chevy Impala.  Oh well.

There's nothing to admit either way.  We don't know yet and won't for several years.  Why is that so hard to understand?  Let me ask you this, if next year we don't win double digit games in the Big East, something the Chevy Impala team ALWAYS DID, will that be the coach's fault?  I'm just curious.

Buzz has done a great job with a great team.  In a few years we'll know how good he really is. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:38:05 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »
Talent does not guarantee wins. Look at the talent Roy Williams has at North Carolina. 4 thousand point scorers, returning player of the year, a team full of McDonald all-americans and preseason prohibited favorite to win the NCAA title. With all that North Carolina has lost 3 games. Buzz is a good coach to have this team at 23-4. Next year we will lose a lot of games. That does not make Buzz a bad coach. Generally, you are not going to win with freshmen in the Big East.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »
Buzz has certainly done a great job coaching them this year, and he certainly could win the COY award.

However, I think we all know that college coaching is really made up of 4 or 5 different jobs.

Recruiting players, managing the program/assistants, x and o's, player development, PR/spokesman etc.

I certainly think he is doing an excellent job so far, and I'm excited about the prospects of next season.

But, in order to say that "he is better than Crean", he'll need to have success in more than one season.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »

1. We were a Chevvy Impala last year?  Gosh, I had no idea all it took was a run-of-the-mill GM car to be ranked in the top 15 all year, plus be .5 seconds away from a Sweet 16 appearance.  I had no idea it was so easy.

2. Pride has nothing to do with coming up with a reasoned opinion on why a program is doing well, whether it had to do with past or present coaches, or present players, or just dumb luck.     90% of the reason we're a top 10 team right now is because McNeal, Lazar, DJ, and Wes are all having great seasons, respective to their personal abilities.   

It's a legit opinion to believe that the PLAYERS bouncing that ball are a very large chunk of why a team succeeds.   As I said, I can give Buzz credit for a couple games in the W column, but if Crean were here, or a dozen other coaches, there'd be variability and credit to dish out for the staff.

It's just totally bogus to dismiss anyone who says Buzz needs more time to be judged, based on some "pride" of whether they want to be right or wrong from their original opinion.   

Why?  I'll tell you this with 100% certainty:  Every single fan out there, every single one who had even the smallest inkling that Buzz wasn't right for the job back in April .. EVERY SINGLE ONE wants this team to win, wants the program to succeed, and wants that sooner rather than later, meaning whoever is at the helm is wished success, including Buzz.  If Buzz fails, that means we limp through 2-3-4-5 years of bad results, and NO ONE wants that.  -- Just because some of us aren't sold yet doesn't mean we're not overjoyed with the way things are going, and desperately want that trend to continue.

Beautifully said.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »
Buzz inherited a great team. That is a given. The question is where we'd be with TC at the helm? I'll listen to people who say we'd be better.......but I would not agree!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »
Saying all Buzz had to do was "turn the key" is pretty unfair. Obviously he had quite a bit of talent to start with, but it's not as if a chimp could coach this team to 23-4. He  deserves credit for getting more than most of us expected out of that talent, and even more than the previous staff got out of it. (No, I don't think the other staff made this team an Impala)

Some of that surely is due to some natural player development. But Buzz should get some credit for whatever role  he the coaching staff has had in player development, and even more credit for putting players in position to best exploit their talents. It's pretty clear that Wes Matthews' talents weren't as well utilized in the prior scheme as they are today. And - occasional lapses notwithstanding - Buzz has done a pretty good job convincing DJ to be more of a point guard and less of a guy who will toss up every shot he can. Everyone knew Jerel would be good, but I doubt any of us saw him as a first-tier Big East POY candidate.

Also, while we can make much of the talent he inherited, let's not forget that this team is arguably less talented, and definitely less deep, than the one we had a year ago. Improvement by the big four is a big plus. But this team gets nothing out of its five, unlike last year when Ooze put up double-figure points and rebounds on occasion and Burke's fouls and occasional defense were a luxury, not a necessity. There are no shooters off the bench like they had last year with Fitzgerald. Cubillian has fallen off the planet. Heck, outside of Jimmy Butler, Buzz really has no bench with which to work.

It's easy to say now that Buzz inherited a BMW ... because the team is playing like one. But before the season, most around the Big East - and on this board - projected this team to be more like an Accord. A nice, solid family vehicle, but not in the same class as some of the Big East's luxury sedans.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:14:15 PM by Pakuni »

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »

1.  Impala is a good analogy for this stupid car thing.  Marquette was not a top ten team preseason.  No one thought (or still thinks) that Marquette is an elite team.  Ferraris, BMWs, whatever... those should be left for the elite teams.  We aren't a Chevy Nova and not a Ferrari.  (American cars do suck so maybe a Toyota Camry.)

2.  This players vs. coach credit is funny/odd.  You mention that Buzz could have credit for two wins or so but how often do coaches make the difference?  Did Petino win the game for UL tonight?  Did he go perfect from the field in the first 11 minutes of the game?  How much credit do you give Coach K, Roy Williams, and other big names?  They have a ton of talent with a bunch of good pieces with depth.  

Lastly, I totally agree with the jury being still out for Buzz long term.  And I think Buzz gets a free pass next year.  But to say that Buzz gets no credit because we have this amazing team that will dominate every team out there and its easy to gameplan against any team is not fair to Buzz.  He lead this team to a great season (regardless of what happens) and I think he deserves some acknowledgment.    

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
I was talking to some friends that say Buzz doesnt deserve that much credit because he inherited a great situation but I believe that he deserves a ton of credit. he has been a great coach this year and it doesnt matter that he inherited a great situation. what do you guys think

Does it have to be an OR situation?

Buzz deserves credit AND he inherited a great situation.  He has done well with the situation, and for that he deserves some respect.

I also want to see how well he does coaching a team of talented and young players, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:14 PM »
READ. READ READ READ.

"But to say Buzz gets no credit because we have this amazing team...?"

Anyone say that?  Nope.  Not one.   EVERYONE has said he deserves some credit -- the issue is, how much.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:01 PM »
i love how everyone likes to say this team is worse on defense this year and cast the full blame on Buzz.  Last year we had Oooze who was a very good defender, a good rebounder nad had the ability to score.  This year we are giving  up a tremendous  amount of size and defending and rebounding ability at the 5.  We have to gaurd with basically no help from the post.  Incredibly difficault to do, Ooze was ahuge benefit last year, yet we are poorer becuase of Buzz?!  Wow!  there goes the ignorant posting again.  I will blame that on the person who failed to sign anyone over 6'8" for 4 years.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »
i love how everyone a few people like to say this team is worse on defense this year and cast the full some blame on Buzz.

fixed.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »
READ. READ READ READ.

"But to say Buzz gets no credit because we have this amazing team...?"

Anyone say that?  Nope.  Not one.   EVERYONE has said he deserves some credit -- the issue is, how much.

Isn't that where all this stupid car analogies are coming from... Buzz had a Ferrari, BMW, or whatever, and all Buzz had to do is turn the key... I think a.lot of people are saying that 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »

We are worse on defense, that's just a fact.  Look at all statistical analysis.   If d's like Hayward want to ignore that go ahead.  But full blame I haven't given to Buzz, I said lets see if it improves with more length, but we have been giving up a much higher percentage to opponents however our phenomenal offense(much kudos to Buzz) has overcome it.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »
Isn't that where all this stupid car analogies are coming from... Buzz had a Ferrari, BMW, or whatever, and all Buzz had to do is turn the key... I think a.lot of people are saying that 

Let me tell you... it's easy to screw up a Ferrari.

I remember my first Ferrari like it was yesterday.  I had just made my first fortune, and went crazy with the proceeds.  Spent all the money on whores, blow, renting some bengal tigers, and that car.  Needless to say, I didn't take care of it well and promptly wrapped it around a tree.

Since then, I've matured greatly.  I take much better care of my current Ferrari, and everyone knows that you purchase the tigers.  Renting is for suckers.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54:10 PM »
I think Hayward was working the corner that night. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »

1.Maybe I'm behind the times but the Chevy Impala used to be the top of their line. Marquette was rated #10 in week 1 of the regular season last year. It was their high water mark, equaled in weeks 5,6, and 7. In week 11 MU fell out of the top 15 and NEVER returned. We finished with a #25 ranking, a drop of 15 spots from week 1, were awarded a 6th seed and lost in the round of 32 to a team that was annihilated in the next round. If that resume resembles your Ferrari or BMW's performance I'd guess you're disappointed in it.

2. Noone would suggest that the players don't deserve the lion's share of the credit for this season. They have been nothing short of spectacular. But TC had Wes and DJ for 100+ games. We watched Wes plateau and DJ regress under his tutelage. At this point we have only one set of criteria to judge TC vs Buzz and any fair reading has to conclude that Buzz has done a better job coaching this group than TC ever did. But you'll never hear that from those with the big egos who have an obvious agenda. You say that everyone on the board is rooting 100% for Buzz. I believe you are but am not so sure about some others.

3.You say my post is "crap, serious crap." Chicos response is "beautifully said." I say if you lie down with dogs you get fleas. Peace.

Pardner

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 11:28:01 PM »
Buzz=Smart Car--efficiently gets MU there.

Crean=Gold Hummer--ostentatious, gas guzzler   ;)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »
I have read only the topic and first couple of posts, so sorry if this is redundant:

But, hey sh1tbags, Buzz "inherited" a team picked to finish 6th in the Big East.  There have been 2 freaking teams since the Big East expanded four years ago to win ***10*** games each year.  We're sitting at 12-2.  Even if Gottlieb and other sword swallowers out there got their wishes over the final games of the regular season, we still have done what counts - we show and prove.

The fact of the matter is you've got three seniors that would each love to play at the next level.. and you know what I see?  I see them yelling at a JUCO harda$$ working transfer when he doesn't shoot and isn't 'greedy' enough.

This team is well coached.  This team has exceeded most people's expectations.  I'm not completely sold on Buzz, but to whine and try to discredit him because of what 'came to him' is ridiculous.

GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 12:45:35 AM »
Talent does not guarantee wins. Look at the talent Roy Williams has at North Carolina. 4 thousand point scorers, returning player of the year, a team full of McDonald all-americans and preseason prohibited favorite to win the NCAA title. With all that North Carolina has lost 3 games. Buzz is a good coach to have this team at 23-4. Next year we will lose a lot of games. That does not make Buzz a bad coach. Generally, you are not going to win with freshmen in the Big East.

I agree about next year would not make Buzz a bad coach if we lose a lot, just as winning a ton of games this year doesn't make him a great coach.

Also... talent that plays together for four years is better than talent that plays together for 1 or 2 years (see UNC).  Don't you agree?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 12:47:33 AM »

It's easy to say now that Buzz inherited a BMW ... because the team is playing like one. But before the season, most around the Big East - and on this board - projected this team to be more like an Accord. A nice, solid family vehicle, but not in the same class as some of the Big East's luxury sedans.

Weren't we preseason top 15?  Pretty much where we've been all year long and if we lose 2 of the next 3, likely where we will end up? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 12:54:29 AM »
But to say that Buzz gets no credit because we have this amazing team that will dominate every team out there and its easy to gameplan against any team is not fair to Buzz.  He lead this team to a great season (regardless of what happens) and I think he deserves some acknowledgment.    

Yikes yikes yikes.....where has ANYONE said Buzz gets no credit for this year?  People must be reading imaginary postings on some pseudo blog of something.  I can't think of anyone saying that Buzz gets no credit or Buzz is simply starting the car with keys or Buzz just throws the ball out there.  He's done a wonderful job.  That being said, yeah, there are a lot of other coaches that could do that with this year's team as well (Barry Switzer could get them to the NCAAs, but that doesn't mean Barry Switzer could get them playing this well).

Buzz has done a great job.  What's funny as crap, though, is the memory loss or complete distortion of reality of the last 5 to 9 years.  When I see things like recruiting was a complete joke or coaching sucked or the team was devoid of talent, I really have to wonder what time warp people are in.  Really. 

It's not an either or scenario which is why it's odd to read so many of these posts.  Crean did a great job.  Buzz is doing a great job.  This just in, it's possible for both scenarios to play out that way.  It's not an either or scenario that so many want to make it.....why, I have no idea, but they want to make it that way.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 12:57:28 AM »
I have read only the topic and first couple of posts, so sorry if this is redundant:

But, hey sh1tbags, Buzz "inherited" a team picked to finish 6th in the Big East.  There have been 2 freaking teams since the Big East expanded four years ago to win ***10*** games each year.  We're sitting at 12-2.  Even if Gottlieb and other sword swallowers out there got their wishes over the final games of the regular season, we still have done what counts - we show and prove.

The fact of the matter is you've got three seniors that would each love to play at the next level.. and you know what I see?  I see them yelling at a JUCO harda$$ working transfer when he doesn't shoot and isn't 'greedy' enough.

This team is well coached.  This team has exceeded most people's expectations.  I'm not completely sold on Buzz, but to whine and try to discredit him because of what 'came to him' is ridiculous.

GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!

Who is discrediting him?  And if MU loses 3 of the next 4, which the odds makers say they will (let's just play this out, I think MU will beat UCONN and lose to UL and PITT), then MU finishes 5th.  That's almost exactly where they were picked to finish, right?

Let's see how it plays out.  No one is discrediting Buzz.  He's done a great job.  But to ignore the situation that he came into is also equally naive.  We'll know more about Buzz in a few years, but this year he has done a great job.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2009, 01:06:30 AM »
Who is discrediting him?  And if MU loses 3 of the next 4, which the odds makers say they will (let's just play this out, I think MU will beat UCONN and lose to UL and PITT), then MU finishes 5th.  That's almost exactly where they were picked to finish, right?

Let's see how it plays out.  No one is discrediting Buzz.  He's done a great job.  But to ignore the situation that he came into is also equally naive.  We'll know more about Buzz in a few years, but this year he has done a great job.

Again, plenty of posters are.  That is where the car thing came from... He got a Ferrari, all he needed to do is turn the key.  Sounds like discrediting to me. 

On a sidenote, if we lose the next 4, we can still get 4th place depending how everyone else does.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2009, 01:29:48 AM »
Again, plenty of posters are.  That is where the car thing came from... He got a Ferrari, all he needed to do is turn the key.  Sounds like discrediting to me. 

On a sidenote, if we lose the next 4, we can still get 4th place depending how everyone else does.

As long as we're not up 20 with a minute to go and decide to put Frozena in.   If we do that we're just asking to lose to someone like DePaul in the BET because we don't give real bench guys minutes

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2009, 07:55:38 AM »
ok, I hate to add on another analogy (I thought the car one was good), but it seems like people are getting too caught up in the little stuff (turn the key, what kind of car is it, etc.)

Let's put it this way:

Buzz is like a freshman that is getting straight A's. Parents love it. School loves it. Everybody's excited about his future.

However, Buzz still needs to do well on his finals (the tournament) and do well in his next 6-7 semesters in order to get a diploma. I'm not saying he's not smart. I'm not saying he doesn't have great potential. I think Buzz can be fantastic.

I really like what Buzz has done so far (I couldn't ask for more), but it seems like some people are already willing to hand him a diploma after/during a great semester.

He has not completed enough courses to get a diploma yet. Is that a fair point of view?

PS One interesting thing to note is that not a ton of people were ripping TC for his regular season performances... it seemed like most of the criticism came after post season losses. Is it going to be the same way for Buzz? If he loses in the first round are people going to blast him?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 08:10:48 AM »

It MAY be "discrediting" from the lofty platform of "coach of the year type genius," sure.

But I challenge you to honestly point the finger at people who are "discrediting" him in anything but a "great job this year, let's judge him based on 1 more year or so."  Seriously, I'd like some quotes from guys, with full context, from guys you think are discrediting him in a less-than-legit way.

What you'll find is that every single guy has said something along the lines of "Buzz has done well this year.  Factually, his players are elite.  Let's wait a year to call him awesome, see how he does when times are tough." -- That's discrediting???  Isn't that a legitimate way of evaluation???   Wouldn't anything but that, be premature in crowning a genius coach?

What's happened is there are Buzz fans that will look for any insult, any perceived sleight, and pounce, accusing the speaker of bastardhood.  (Or, specifically calling them "sh1tbags.")

You find these "negative" guys and ask them.  What's Buzz' score 1-10 so far: 

I'll give him a solid 9.5, YTD.  Which is a fantastic score.  Besides a couple glitches, I could NOT be more pleased this year with the team, and the coaches.

But it's like diving or gymnastics.  Your score is determined by your performance, multiplied by a level of difficulty.   (Oh, my, there I go, right after giving him a huge compliment, I'm discrediting him??)

People aren't measured ONLY on the basis of how they perform during good times.  The cream rises to the top when times are rough. -- This year, the BE is super tough, but next year, the coaching level-of-difficulty will be 10x harder. 

If Buzz gets us in to the NCAAs NEXT year, us "sh1tbags" will call for Buzz to get a 300% raise and 10 year contract.   -- And honestly, if he gets us back to the NCAAs sometime in the following 3 years, he's a keeper.  Gosh, I am such a tough grader!

(Ironically, if you were to ask Buzz himself how he's doing.. you know what he'd say .. something like "I’m not smart enough to figure that all out.")

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:40:23 AM by mu_hilltopper »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »
Chicos response is "beautifully said." I say if you lie down with dogs you get fleas. Peace.

Looks like you can't make your point without personal insults.

"peace"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 08:16:15 AM »

GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!

I've read all the posts and I don't think anyone is whinning about what Buzz has done to date.   It's just some people get hyper and characterize your comments that way if you point out any negative or yet to be determined reality regarding Buzz.  Herd mentality is not needed on this site.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »
Weren't we preseason top 15?  Pretty much where we've been all year long and if we lose 2 of the next 3, likely where we will end up? 

Actually, 16th ... now they're 9th. And I doubt they plummet 6-7 spots with losses to #2 and #1, unless they're 20+ point losses.
Regardless, wasn't MU projected to finish 6th in the Big East? Isn't it fair to say this team so far has exceeded just about everyone's expecations, certainly your own?
If 6th is a BMW, what's first through fifth?
Nobody is suggesting Buzz didn't inherit substantial talent. But:

1. It's arguable that this team is less talented than last year's (AP Preseason poll #11) yet is playing better.
2. Saying all that was required of the coach was to "turn the key" is, indeed, discrediting the work he's done. A monkey can turn a key. A monkey doesn't coach a team to a 23-4 record and excel in the country's toughest conference with an undersized roster and no bench while instituting new offensive and defensive philosophies/schemes.

As mualum2002 states well, this year is not the be all and end all when it comes to judging Buzz as a coach. Yet to pretend what he's accomplished so far is mostly insignificant, as had been implied by some,

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
Actually, 16th ... now they're 9th. And I doubt they plummet 6-7 spots with losses to #2 and #1, unless they're 20+ point losses.
Regardless, wasn't MU projected to finish 6th in the Big East? Isn't it fair to say this team so far has exceeded just about everyone's expecations, certainly your own?
If 6th is a BMW, what's first through fifth?
Nobody is suggesting Buzz didn't inherit substantial talent. But:

1. It's arguable that this team is less talented than last year's (AP Preseason poll #11) yet is playing better.
2. Saying all that was required of the coach was to "turn the key" is, indeed, discrediting the work he's done. A monkey can turn a key. A monkey doesn't coach a team to a 23-4 record and excel in the country's toughest conference with an undersized roster and no bench while instituting new offensive and defensive philosophies/schemes.

As mualum2002 states well, this year is not the be all and end all when it comes to judging Buzz as a coach. Yet to pretend what he's accomplished so far is mostly insignificant, as had been implied by some,

Sorry, 16th.  Yes, they've exceeded my expectations.  No one is saying all he had to do is turn the key.  Why do you keep bringing up that analogy?  Where did anyone say it was that simple?

As far as this team being less talented then last year, I'm not sure I agree. In the depth category, certainly.  But when you factor in talent you also factor in experience and there is no one in the country as experienced and talented (in combo) then this team.  No one.

Buzz, again, for the millionth time, has done a great job.  He's also had it easier then most with what he inherited (is that a dis?  No, it's reality).  Again, he's done a great job.

PS  I suspect we'll end up in the polls closer to 16th then to 9th but we'll see.  Those same stellar coaches picked Notre Dame 4th including one vote to win the conference. If I recall, they picked Marquette 12th a few years ago.  Coaches just slap something on paper, they don't put any time in it.  I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in what the coaches picked in preseason.

PSS Please be careful with the monkey comments.  The people in this country are very sensitive these days about monkey analogies. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:21:46 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »
if we are a top 3 or 4 seed, i would say yes. no reason to lose in the first round when seeded that high. a second round loss could also be disappointing.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:54 AM »
Sorry, 16th.  Yes, they've exceeded my expectations.  No one is saying all he had to do is turn the key.  Why do you keep bringing up that analogy?  Where did anyone say it was that simple?

Here's what mu_hilltopper said in reply #7 of this thread:

"Yup, sorry, but chalk me up as someone who thinks Buzz inherited a BMW.  Guess what?  It's been a pretty good ride so far, just needed someone to turn the key."

As far as this team being less talented then last year, I'm not sure I agree. In the depth category, certainly.  But when you factor in talent you also factor in experience and there is no one in the country as experienced and talented (in combo) then this team.  No one.

Like I said, it's arguable. Experience/development weighs on the side of this team being more talented. But they're clearly much weaker at the 5 position, have less depth (depth is part of a team's talent, isn't it?) and have no shooters coming off the bench as was the case last year with Fitzgerald.
Last year, MU was preseason #11 in the AP and picked third in the Big East. This year it was #16 and sixth. Obviously those are just projections, but they do illustrate expectations.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:51 AM »
Looks like you can't make your point without personal insults.

"peace"

Let's see. You begin your post by saying I'm full of "crap". Not just regular crap, mind you, but "serious crap". Awfully sensitive for one who begins his diatribe with personal insults, aren't we?

If you reread my entire post, you'll notice that I concede that you seem sincere in your support of Buzz and the team. I'm just not so sure about everyone else on these boards. Hence our disagreement.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
And I also said:

Yes, Buzz deserves a chunk of credit.  Absolutely!

and

Every single fan out there, every single one who had even the smallest inkling that Buzz wasn't right for the job back in April .. EVERY SINGLE ONE wants this team to win, wants the program to succeed, and wants that sooner rather than later, meaning whoever is at the helm is wished success, including Buzz.

and

I'll give him a solid 9.5, YTD.  Which is a fantastic score.  Besides a couple glitches, I could NOT be more pleased this year with the team, and the coaches.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »

Let's see. You begin your post by saying I'm full of "crap". Not just regular crap, mind you, but "serious crap". Awfully sensitive for one who begins his diatribe with personal insults, aren't we?

If you reread my entire post, you'll notice that I concede that you seem sincere in your support of Buzz and the team. I'm just not so sure about everyone else on these boards. Hence our disagreement.

My quote was "That's a bunch of crap.  Serious crap."

There's a difference between "You are crap." and "That is crap."  One is a personal insult, the other is not. 

Thank you for believing my sincerity.  I will go further: I will vouch for EVERYONE's sincerity.  We all, sincerely, want MU to succeed.  We're fans.  End of story.   

There's a very tiring, never ending battle of people who infer to be superior fans as they defend every sleight against every aspect of the program.  This thread is exhibit 5000.  Reasonable, sincere fans, can decide to take a long term view of how good a coach is -- yet this is met with derision and names like "sh1tbags" and intimations that we're dogs with fleas.   ::)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:41:06 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52:39 AM »
Chicos,

Regarding your previous PPS - Mu was #16 in the AP preseason poll and now stand #8. You may be right that this team will ultimately finish close to expectations (#16) given the brutal end of season schedule. In that case we will agree that they lived up to expectations and I assume everyone will be happy. Last year we were rated #11 in preseason and finished 25th. I would say that constitutes significant under achievement. Yet virtually noone called TC out on this (not saying he should be). Suppose we fall apart and and finish among the "others receiving votes"(the equivalent of last years under achieving). Will you view Buzz's first year as the equivalent of TC's last? And does anything better than that constitute improvement?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »
Chicos,

Regarding your previous PPS - Mu was #16 in the AP preseason poll and now stand #8. You may be right that this team will ultimately finish close to expectations (#16) given the brutal end of season schedule. In that case we will agree that they lived up to expectations and I assume everyone will be happy. Last year we were rated #11 in preseason and finished 25th. I would say that constitutes significant under achievement. Yet virtually noone called TC out on this (not saying he should be). Suppose we fall apart and and finish among the "others receiving votes"(the equivalent of last years under achieving). Will you view Buzz's first year as the equivalent of TC's last? And does anything better than that constitute improvement?

Lenny's, I will not speak for Chicos, but I do have to say that maybe the disagreements here are more based upon criteria than actual performance.

Rankings might be your criteria (not a bad one to use)
Tournament wins are certainly some people's criteria (just check the TC blasting after his tournament losses)
RPI might be some people's criteria
etc. etc.

The problem is that everybody is using a different system to evaluate if Buzz is doing a good job or if he is "better" than TC.

If I'm being honest, I had MU picked to go either 13-5 or 14-4 in the conference. Right now they are on track for that. Do I think Buzz is doing a good job? Certainly. Did I have high expectations given the returning players? Yes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
My quote was "That's a bunch of crap.  Serious crap."

There's a difference between "You are crap." and "That is crap."  One is a personal insult, the other is not. 

Thank you for believing my sincerity.  I will go further: I will vouch for EVERYONE's sincerity.  We all, sincerely, want MU to succeed.  We're fans.  End of story.   

There's a very tiring, never ending battle of people who infer to be superior fans as they defend every sleight against every aspect of the program.  This thread is exhibit 5000.  Reasonable, sincere fans, can decide to take a long term view of how good a coach is -- yet this is met with derision and names like "sh1tbags" and intimations that we're dogs with fleas. 

When you vouch for "everyone" be careful.  If you do and are ultimately proved wrong you can (maybe unfairly) be tarnished by the same brush. This was my admonition to you. I never insulted you personally or otherwise. Hope you don't find this critique of your reading comprehension skills offensive, but words like always, everyone, etc., are ALMOST never correct.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2009, 12:00:53 PM »
Chicos,

No.  Because I don't think a preseason poll out of the blue when these guys that do the polling are known for not even voting (having assistants do it, having SIDs do it, having their mom do it) is a good measuring stick.  Obviously some people disagree.  So to answer your question,  I don't think a preseason poll should determine whether we achieved or underachieved.  Incidentally, MU finished 21st last year when the games were actually played, not a preseason poll when no games are played, no injuries factored in, etc.

People can use all kinds of measuring sticks, but I think a preseason media poll or coaches poll is not a good one.  It's a total guess without anything really being played.

Look at the RPI this year.  MU is at 21, last year MU finished at 19.  Does that mean MU was better last year?  Does that mean MU is underachieving this year?  Personally, I think comparing years is silly.  Teams are different, competition is different, schedules are different.  Is Wisconsin as good this year as last year?  Hell no.  Yet MU beat them both years...what does it mean?  Are the victories the same?  Was one on the road and one at home?  You can make this analysis of every game on the schedule in every year if you wish.  Each year is different, each year in a silo in my opinion.

Last year, I thought MU did exactly what I thought they would.  We had a good season, played well in the BET, played well in the NCAAs.  Lost on a heartbreaker to top 10 team on a last second shot.

This year, MU has OVERACHIEVED from my predictions....I'm pleasantly surprised. Though my predictions were based on a new coach and the loss of Barro and Mbakwe, I also said they had the ability (if they maximized) to be where they are at currently (my predictions had a wide variable to them due to all the new variables. Kudos to the staff and players for getting there so far this year.

Again I'll ask, why is it an EITHER / OR scenario?  I really don't get it.  Crean did incredible things for this program.  Buzz has done a great job in year one.  It is possible that both did/are doing great things, yet so many here want to make it as if that's not the case.  I don't get it. 

As for the fleas comment, whatever.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:06:45 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2009, 12:47:59 PM »

In case someone was wondering if anyone on this board was discrediting Buzz.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
repeating:

And I also said:

Yes, Buzz deserves a chunk of credit.  Absolutely!

and

Every single fan out there, every single one who had even the smallest inkling that Buzz wasn't right for the job back in April .. EVERY SINGLE ONE wants this team to win, wants the program to succeed, and wants that sooner rather than later, meaning whoever is at the helm is wished success, including Buzz.

and

I'll give him a solid 9.5, YTD.  Which is a fantastic score.  Besides a couple glitches, I could NOT be more pleased this year with the team, and the coaches.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »
I didn't see the key s comment....thanks for pointing them out Pakuni. 

I think Hilltopper is saying, much like I've said with the Barry Switzer comments, that getting this team to the NCAAs any number of coaches could do.  That's not a dis on Buzz because people are ignoring the additional comments.

I do believe that any competent coach could get this team to the NCAAs.  But Buzz has done MORE than just that (I believe Hilltopper has said the same thing).  Thus, there is no "dis" at all.  People need to focus on the entire message. 

I guess I would put the question out to those that are sensitive on this issue.  With the team that came back this year, 4.5 starters, 4 seniors, 1 junior, two NBA likely players, three time NCAA participants, three all Big East players.....do those folks believe that MU was in jeopardy of not making the NCAAs?  Do those folks believe only one or two coaches could get them to the NCAAs?

Now, please note how I asked the question.  I'm trying to be clear as a bell here in that many coaches could have gotten MU to the dance this year, but what Buzz has done is GO BEYOND THAT.  He's done a great job.  That's why when people say that most coaches could guide this team to the NCAAs, it's not a dis....it's reality. 

Unless of course people disagree and feel only a handful of coaches could have done it.  I guess we'll disagree.   

Tip of my hat to Buzz....he not only rolled the ball out and turned the key, he went above and beyond.  Now the ultimate proof in the pudding will be over the next few years, but the man has the worth ethic, the desire, the know-how to get it done.  For all of us as fans, we want that to happen.  Taking a step back would be devestating.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »
Chicos,

I have never been in the camp of those who denigate TC and his contributitions to MU. I agree with you that when one considers the totality of his work he ranks as Marquette's 2nd most successful coach. He is probably closer to 10th than 1st as Al laps the field but that doesn't diminish his accomplishments.

I further agree that, for this year anyway, TC left the program in good shape. Top 20 team, lower half of the first division in Big East, 5th or 6th seed in the NCAA's was the expectation. That's what the "experts" and most of the MU faithful were looking/hoping for. I count myself in that majority, though I was concerned that with an inexperienced and unproven coach that we would fall short of these lofty goals. I think you shared my concerns - it's why you picked us 9-9 in the conference.

When it became clear that our reservations about Buzz's coaching abilities were unfounded we parted ways. I was ecstatic to be proven wrong, admitted it, and am thoroughly enjoying what is thus far our 2nd best team since 1978. You and others chose a different path. Suddenly these very good players TC left behind were great. Suddenly, the conference you guys defended even in years it didn't deserve it is not as good as advertised. Buzz has the team playing a more passive style of defense early in games to avoid foul trouble (the one thing this extremely thin team can't afford) and tightens the screws late in games. This has worked out brilliantly yet the naysayers want only to talk about how "statistically" this team has regressed this year defensively. This is just the tip of the iceberg on the way people on this board have denigrated the fantastic job that he has done. This is the best coached team at MU in a loooooong time. For me that's enough for now. I'll let you guys worry about what his legacy will be. From what I've seen I'm not too worried. Don't think Buzz is either.

Stringer Bellenson

• Walk-On
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »
Obviously much of the credit goes to the players, but there is one thing in particular this year that I think Buzz deserves credit for.  The last few seasons, I would’ve spent the last Georgetown game, the Providence game, Wisconsin, NC State, (basically any close, back and forth game), just waiting for them to mess up.  This past weekend was a prime example of the type of game MU would’ve had a let down in. Whether it was just a couple of bad plays that proved crucial in the end, or a mental lapse, or a couple bad shots or passes, I just wasn’t always confident that they were going to pull it off.  These type games were always brutal to watch bc I felt like they weren’t always in control, and I just always had a bad feeling (I’m not a pessimist either).  It was like they were chickens with their heads cut off sometimes.  However this year, it seems they are so much more in their element and in control.  I find watching close games played at this frantic pace to be much more of a peaceful viewing experience this season.  (I suppose it’s possible that others didn’t see it this way, this is just the vibe I got.)

I won’t deny that much of this has to do with the maturity and experience of the big 4, but I think Buzz deserves credit for recognizing the strengths of this team.  The players seem to be playing comfortably and within themselves.  They aren’t forcing things, they aren’t passing up shots, yet they are still unselfish.  Just watching Matthews and McNeal driving to the basket at the end of the Georgetown game and letting the game come to them seems to be something that was lacking in the past.  I liked Crean, and recognize Buzz literally and figuratively wouldn’t be in the position he is today if not for Crean, but sometimes his offense seemed to be restricting on the natural abilities and strengths of the team.  (I think this is evident by the way Matthews has progressed)  I like the way he trusts his players and just lets them play, especially in some of these close road games, though he may not have this luxury next year.  Some might argue that Buzz should have done something at the end of the South Florida game, but I don't think MU loses if McNeal doesn't foul out. It will be interesting to see if Buzz continues to adapt to the strengths of his future recruits, being that it sounds like they will be more wing orientated in the future.  Either way, I think Buzz should get credit for maximizing the team’s production by playing to their strengths.  Doing something so simple and obvious may not make him a genius, but it's practical and has worked.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 10:09:52 PM »
Chicos,
 He is probably closer to 10th than 1st as Al laps the field but that doesn't diminish his accomplishments.

Sounds like you are dissing Crean.   ;)   

It's obvious you've seen enough of Buzz to make your decision, I just haven't.  Too many coaches that have done this exact same thing and crapped the bed down the road.  Brewser Flint, Steve Lavin, Paul Hewitt, etc, etc.  That doesn't mean Buzz will, but I need more then one year with this inherited talent to say he's the guy.  I hope he is, he certainly has done a wonderful job this year (super wonderful, I wouldn't want to be categorized as "luke warm" (sic)).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:12:47 PM by ChicosBailBonds »