'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "This is a team that can win the national title"  (Read 8214 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
"This is a team that can win the national title"
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:58:11 PM »
Not sure if anyone else caught the Boers and Bernstein show today, but during their "Second Half" segment, Boers talked about the ND/MU game, and commented on how tough MU plays, and how they're one of the most entertaining teams he's seen. Bernstein replied that Marquette is a team that can win the national title.

For anyone who listens to this show, you know how cynical these guys are. For a basketball junkie like Bernstein to make that kind of comment says a lot if you ask me.

patso

• Team Captain
Re: "This is a team that can win the national title"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »
It would be great but remember it takes good play and tremendous luck to do so. One lucky last second shot or one opponent having an insane shooting day and you are done. Last year we ran into a team with two seven footers. And we still have the brutal last five games to complete. One small step at a time.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 08:13:11 PM »
For a basketball junkie like Bernstein to make that kind of comment says a lot if you ask me.

Bernstein is an NBA junkie and seems to care little about NCAA hoops except around tourney time.  I gaurantee that was the first time he had seen MU play this season.  Sorry, just sayin......

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:32:28 PM »
Well, as long as we don't play Dayton or Tennessee in the first round or second round, we might get to the 2nd weekend!

Lots of season left, guys.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Those guys are two puds.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
Personally, I would like to be 8 - 0 in the BEast, and beat Georgetown this Saturday.  That's the only game that matters :)

Dan

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »
Luck is all of it.  I think we can beat any team in the nation.  We match up with some teams better than others.  Stanford game was a shame because we were seconds from winning and I think we matched up really well against Texas. 

Based on ESPN brackets, we would be 3 and play Vermont and then Kansas.  I am fine with that match up.  Then if favorites hold, we would play MSU.  I think we match up really well with MSU.  That would be the Elite 8 right there.  Obviously way too early, but it is luck.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
I don't know if MU will win it all, but I do know this:

http://www.marquettewillbeback.com/

SS Marquette

Pardner

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »
Dan (Bernstein) is a Dookie.  He follows NCAA hoops.   Boers is an Illini freak on top of it.  Good pub in Chicago for recruiting. 

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »
Very weird collection of converse websites... Check out this one:

http://www.outofyourleaguegirlonmotivation.com/

JSwarriors08

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 11:52:16 PM »
So about that national title...

Can we please not have this discussion?  I still don't think we can beat Georgetown.  Sorry, but I refuse to get my hopes up.  We have played well, but I'm just enjoying the success now.  I think we're gonna struggle down the stretch, and once we start looking toward March we are going to get THROTTLED.  Let's just be rational and focus on Georgetown.  They're an athletic team that's gonna be pissed off and looking for a huge win at the BC on Saturday.  Don't mean to be a downer, just sayin.  We could easily lose a bunch of games as we close in on the end of conference play.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 12:17:53 AM »
Most people hate Boers and Bernstein but they are by far my favorite sports radio show in Chicago.  As dish said they are usually very cynical so coming from them that's high praise.

By cracky!

Pepperoni_Cannoli

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 04:52:01 AM »
Boers and Bernstein had Crean on their show after a Louisville win in '03.  When the interview was over, Bernstein said that MU was a team that "could make a run," citing his belief that good tourney teams have one star player (either Wade or Scott Merrit, he didn't name him), and an often times and inspirational story (Trey Schwab).

That said, they have many, many incorrect predictions before.  I'm still pissed at Bernstein for his BS report that Kobe was coming to the Bulls.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »
Takes luck, but why not? Duke is ranked #1 and we went down the wire with them on a neutral floor last year with essentially the same players involved on both teams. Also we beat them the previous year.

Long shot, but there isn't a single dominant team this year. It wouldn't be the first time a #8 team won it all.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 07:23:10 AM »
To listen to what Boers and Bernstein said go to the link below.  The Marquette stuff is all before the 5 minute mark:

http://podcast.670thescore.com/wscr2/1552740.mp3

Also in the second half (name of the segment) they talk about the Milwaukee Bucks and Ben Sheets for you Wisconsin people.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 07:38:28 AM »
They could win it. So could about a dozen other teams. I wouldn't be putting my money on MU, but with the right match ups and a fortunate bounce or two, why not?

Senior guards, star power, a chip on their shoulder. Send 'em through Minneapolis, Inidianapolis, and Detroit...Outside of maybe Chicago, and the fact that Detroit is a ridiculous place to hold a Final Four (and a Super Bowl), could there be three better potential sites for MU and their fans?

Many games to be played and won of course, but sitting here right now, today, why not?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
I get a kick out of everyone on here saying "one game at a time."  Yeah, if you were a coach or a player that's the perspective you need (or at least need to put forth to your players), but we're nothing more than fans, and thinking about how good we'll be come March is part of the fun of being a fan of a team playing as well as MU is right now.  

The one thing I got out of the ND game is that I'm sure we're not going to win-out the remainder of the season, but it sure appears that MU has the ability to play with any team in the country when they bring their game.  Buzz seems to be able to handle his role and the 3 amigos are doing everything you could possibly ask of them.  The NCAA tourney is a crap-shoot on any given game/year, but I'm always ready for March!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 07:44:41 AM »
I get a kick out of everyone on here saying "one game at a time."  Yeah, if you were a coach or a player that's the perspective you need (or at least need to put forth to your players), but we're nothing more than fans, and thinking about how good we'll be come March is part of the fun of being a fan of a team playing as well as MU is right now.  I'm sure the same people on here saying one game at a time also pay no attention to the rankings, bracketology, etc.  ;)

The one thing I got out of the ND game is that I'm sure we're not going to win-out the remainder of the season, but it sure appears that MU has the ability to play with any team in the country when they bring their game.  Buzz seems to be able to handle his role and the 3 amigos are doing everything you could possibly ask of them.  The NCAA tourney is a crap-shoot on any given game/year, but I'm always ready for March!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 07:57:14 AM »
I get a kick out of everyone on here saying "one game at a time."  Yeah, if you were a coach or a player that's the perspective you need (or at least need to put forth to your players), but we're nothing more than fans, and thinking about how good we'll be come March is part of the fun of being a fan of a team playing as well as MU is right now.  

Amen Brother! I have been banging this drum for years. I don't know if these people think they are actually on the team or what, but the highs and lows of success and disappointment -- that's why we are all fans.

You don't get many opportunities to even consider the possibility of competing for a title, so you best revel in it while you can.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »
I think what we've done is prove how important terrific guard play is in college ball. You have quick players who can take care of the ball and you'll be very good. The senior leadership is invaluable, too.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
Most people hate Boers and Bernstein but they are by far my favorite sports radio show in Chicago.  As dish said they are usually very cynical so coming from them that's high praise.

By cracky!

My avatar, da coach....by cracky!

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 08:55:29 AM »
Dan (Bernstein) is a Dookie.  He follows NCAA hoops.   Boers is an Illini freak on top of it.  Good pub in Chicago for recruiting. 

How many 15-17 year old blue chip recruits do you think listen to two old white guys on AM radio from 2-7pm?

I love the show. They are extremely cynical and will tear anything apart if there are any flaws. It's great to hear them get behind MU. I agree that MU "can" win a national title. Doesn't mean they should or they will, just that they could. They have enough skill that with the right matchups they could string together 6 wins in a row in March.
We Are Marquette

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »
Based on ESPN brackets, we would be 3 and play Vermont and then Kansas.  I am fine with that match up. 

I would LOVE to watch James, McNeal and Matthews eat Tyshawn Taylor's lunch all game on national TV.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
I take the Winston Wolf/Pulp Fiction approach to this one...cautious optimism.  Let's just go game to game for now. 

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 10:47:36 AM »
Calm down, people. I've seen FF and NC threads on this board the last couple of days. Does one win over the Irish really shoot us over the moon like that?

I mean, the conference season still isn't even at its halfway point yet.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

mviale

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
Yes we can!
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

mucrew08

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »
Before the Notre Dame game, the nay sayers were telling everyone how the team wasn't tested and we weren't a top 10 team. We then went into the Joyce Center and beat a good team (they may not be ranked but they are a good team) at a very hard place to play. We are a good team, let the fans be fans and talk about the team and what might happen. No one has said "we are going to win a national championship" we are just looking at the possibility of it, and heck its pretty exciting to even be looking at the possibility.

I see no problem with fans looking forward to the rest of the season. If you don't want to look forward (for whatever reason) then don't read the posts.

WalterSobchak

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »
That show is fun to listen to sometimes, but Bernstein is overwhelmingly arrogant--I do a lot of eye rolling each time I listen.  That said, still nice to hear!

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »
I said a month ago, this team is special. Yes, they can win a NC. Luck is needed, but SENIOR GUARDS that can play can go a long way in the NCAA.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »
Lazar is going to play a big role down the stretch. Seeing Lazar and Wes guard Harangody in the second half gave me some hope that bigger teams such as a UCONN will not manhandle us underneath. We have the experience and we are playing a more free flowing game this year which has allowed our seniors to reach their potential.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
Hey, everyone just enjoy the best basketball the Warriors have played since beating UK in the Elite 8 in 2003. This team however isn't a threat to advance to the FF or win a championship.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
Calm down, people. I've seen FF and NC threads on this board the last couple of days. Does one win over the Irish really shoot us over the moon like that?

No, but 7-0 in the Big East and a #8 ranking in national polls does.
We Are Marquette

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 03:13:35 PM »
No, but 7-0 in the Big East and a #8 ranking in national polls does.
I understand, but history reminds us that the last time we were #8 in the rankings, we did not stay there very long. I'm not saying we will collapse, but it is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG season, and there is a lot of basketball, and tough basketball that remains to be played.

If people want to celebrate being #8 in the country in January, that's fine, but I'd personally prefer to be one of the top 8 teams in the country in March.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 03:14:22 PM »
To everyone saying calm down, I say....calm down.

This post is about what a Chicago radio host had to say about us having the potential to win the NCAA tourney. He went out of his way to say MU could win it, not that they would win it.

From what I've seen of posts in this thread, people are saying pretty much the same thing. I don't see anyone going out and guaranteeing a title here.

Why not enjoy the fact that we're one of the best teams in the country right now? These seasons are few and far between. If a radio host in a major market thinks we're in contention for winning it all...awesome, how can you not love it?

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
MUDish---RIGHT ON!!!! Not often does a team have the ability to discuss deep NCAA runs. This is a team that has earned that right. They believe in themselves and have the talent to back it up. Chips on a shoulder can be a great thing from time to time.

I will say it again, watched MU ball for nearly 40 seasons and this team has a swagger. They have a coach that is perfect for this team...he does not know any better. That is not a rip, it is a compliment.

Younger fans, enjoy this run. You might go a long time before you to see a season like this one. Championships are not won in Jan., but championship attitudes are formed then.

GO WARRIORS!!!!!!!

feedback